A beautifully written piece.. [Post Edited]

JiyaRe... thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

I have just read this blog, here's the link http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com/blogs/2011/07/5-things-harry-and-hermione-taught-me-about-love 

Things Harry & Hermione Taught about Love (Even Though J.K. Rowling Never Meant Them to)

The last installment of the Harry Potter movie franchise comes out this weekend, and for many it is the bittersweet end of an era

So here's my deep, dark Harry Potter secret: I always thought that Harry and Hermione should have gotten together. I know they never dated or kissed or did any of those other things that romantic couples do. But that doesn't mean that Harry and Hermione still didn't teach me a whole lot of lessons about love'

1. Love is Loyal

Through seven books, Hermione is the one person that sticks with Harry the entire time. She uses her time turner to go back in time to help Harry save Sirius and Buckbeak. She helps Harry perfect the "Accio!" charm for the first Triwizard Tournament task. She urges Harry to start "Dumbledore's Army" and she follows him to the Department of Mysteries, even though she is certain that it is a trap laid out by Voldemort. And when a frustrated and jealous Ron decides he's had enough of the camping trip from hell, Hermione stays with Harry, even though she is heartbroken. Hermione is absolutely indispensable to Harry in his journey'she knows this, and she always chooses to honor it.

Harry is similarly loyal to Hermione. He gives her credit for solving the Chamber of Secrets mystery, defends her against Cho, and tells teachers that she is the best student in their year. 

In a world of chaos where everything seems to be falling down around them, Harry and Hermione are steady, fixed points of support for each other, and I always found that to be very poignant. There aren't that many people in life who will stick by you through thick and thin. Hold them close.

...Still Not Over It...

2. Love Hurts

If you tell people on the street that you prefer Hermione with Harry, they look at you strangely and say, "Don't you know she ends up with Ron at the end?" And if you tell people on the internet that you like Harry and Hermione, get ready for a storm of indignation, wrath and ridicule.

But the beauty of being spat upon by the collective Harry Potter fandom is that you learn'not to give a crap! You learn that the people and things you love won't always be popular, but you can still love them anyway. And you learn not to judge other people for the things that they love.

Aren't They Precious

3. Love is in the Eye of the Beholder

Lots of people irrationally hate Harry/Hermione and that's totally cool. HP movie scribe Steve Kloves is notoriously thought to lean in the direction of Harry/Hermione, an opinion bolstered by the sharply increased screen time for the pair. And HP director David Yates even added in a tender dance scene for the non-couple in the first Deathly Hallows film, a scene that is nowhere to be found in any of the books.

These changes make some fans very angry and that's a valid emotion, but I think it's perfectly natural for different people to have different perspectives on a text. J.K Rowling herself even gave an interview where she acknowledged that Harry/Hermione was, perhaps, not the craziest idea of the face of planet Earth:

"Now the fact is that Hermione shares moments with Harry that Ron will never be able to participate in. He walked out. She shared something very intense with Harry'So I think it could have gone that way."

Our experiences of love and literature are unique, specific and meaningful ' the HP movies are a nice reminder that there's room in the world for many different interpretations of love.

It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's...?!

4. Love is a Battlefield'

'but it doesn't have to be. I understand why people like Ron and Hermione together. There's a thin line between love and hate, and fiery bickering can easily turn to passion of a whole different sort. But for my part, I've never been drawn to that sort of romance. 

It should come as no surprise, therefore, that one of the things I like best about Harry/Hermione is that their relationship never buckles under the weight of numerous trials and tribulations. Whether they are dealing with Rita Skeeter's meddling gossip, dangerous battles with Death Eaters or Ron's abandonment, Harry and Hermione never turn on each other. Some say that Harry/Hermione's quiet, persevering relationship is just what friendship looks like. Fair enough. But I think it's also what love looks like.

We'll Still be Friends, Right?

5. Sometimes it Doesn't Work Out

I'm not delusional. I know that Harry and Hermione didn't end up together, and I know that J.K. Rowling never intended for them to be anything more than the very best of friends. But that's okay. Just like in life, you don't always get what you want. Sometimes the boy doesn't like you back. Sometimes you wait for phone calls that never come. Sometimes it takes a long time to find the person you're meant to be with. And sometimes you fall deeply, passionately in love but it doesn't last.

Just because a relationship didn't end in happily ever after doesn't mean that it wasn't meaningful and true. As Dumbledore says to Harry, "Of course it is happening inside your head'but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

The idea of Harry/Hermione is similarly real for me'it inspires me to be more loyal to the people I care about; it encourages me to fight like the hell for the things I believe in, and to accept help when I need it most; it reminds me that friendship and love are gifts to be cherished. And in the end, isn't that what Harry Potter is truly all about? 

[The entire credit of this piece goes to the writer of the blog]
Edited by SmileItsMe - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-GredForge- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
OMG this made me cry...
i just love harry-hermione together !<3
prefectly described their relationship!
JiyaRe... thumbnail
Originally posted by: -GredForge-

OMG this made me cry...

i just love harry-hermione together !<3
prefectly described their relationship!

Aww.. Harry-Hermione <3
Yes, amazing description. The writer of that piece, has done a good job.
Edited by Moon03 - 10 years ago
Minionite thumbnail
OMG this just made me cry! It was so true!
You know I never understand how come it was Hermione and Ron who ended up together. Harry and Hermione were so much nicer together.
bookworm-ALS-- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Well, Harmony fans, please don't bash me- this is just my view after reading the books.
In the books, Harry and Hermione don't really have 'spark'. Harry never shows any sort of stomach-churning reactions or anything when Hermione hugs him/kisses him on the cheek.
He doesn't seem to mind if Hermione has a crush on Lockart or goes out with Krum.
About defending her to Cho, well if you look at it, he defended Ron as well. And we aren't pairing Ron with him, right?

Anyways, I'll just go now... Hope I didn't hurt anyone!
And yes I will always say Harry and Hermione do have a very deep bond. It's just, in the books, I never saw them happening as a couple. Maybe it's just me.
JiyaRe... thumbnail
Originally posted by: KS_Shreya

OMG this just made me cry! It was so true!

You know I never understand how come it was Hermione and Ron who ended up together. Harry and Hermione were so much nicer together.

Aww.. Well, I can understand how Ron and Hermione ended up together.
When it comes to major HP pairing (both canon and non-canon) , l don't like Harry-Ginny but 
like Ron-Hermione and love Harry-Hermione :)
Edited by Moon03 - 10 years ago
--Kshitz-- thumbnail
Wow...its so good...never thought in such a way...
JiyaRe... thumbnail
Originally posted by: KS_SWARON

Wow...its so good...never thought in such a way...

yeah, it's so good.
CherryWild thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
wooo its so good i loved its 
JiyaRe... thumbnail
Originally posted by: CaughtYourHeart

wooo its so good i loved its 

😊