TOI: Rakshanda today TV have no challenging char

Ms.SK thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago
Today TV has no challenging characters: Rakshanda

Rakshanda Khan sounded as refreshingly cool as an ice gola on a summer parched afternoon when we caught up with her recently. Rakshanda who's currently doing a fine balancing act by canning shots for Bade Achhe Laggte Hai (where she's just stepped in) and devoting her time to her event management company, she's in high spirit. Rakshanda who's playing an important role in BALH, says that she was happy doing "cameos" as her business takes most of her time. "We are doing our first award function in South Africa. I have a lot of respect for event managers now," she says. Excerpts from an interview:

It's been sometime since you did a full-fledged role in a TV soap.
I have believed that it's the character that makes an impact. See, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan does a 30-second TVC and people remember her. I am not comparing myself to her, but that's the kind of impact one needs to make. If I am offered a two month role with changes the story line completely, and a two year role where I have to wait for my screen time, I'd rather work for two months. I want the audiences to remember me for the good work I'm doing. Even today people talk about my character Mallika from Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahi. I am done playing the wall flower in a show. I want the director to utilise my talent to the core and even if I get physically exhausted, I'll be happy because I'll be a satisfied actor.

Most actors eventually diversify when they are at their peak. Why do actors need a back-up plan?
When you are part of the entertainment industry you need a back up plan. I'm not insecure and it's not as if I don't have enough work. If you are an actor in Bollywood then it's fine, but on TV if you've done three shows, you have explored everything. My first two shows Kyunki... Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi... and Jassi... gave me flavours of two different worlds. After that everything I got seemed so painfully repetitive that I had to take plan B into consideration. I am in a position to choose and decided to do something different. Later Ammaji Ki Gali happened, which was radically different from what I'd done in the past followed by a stint in Devon Ke Dev... Mahadevand eventually a role in Jhilmil Sitaron Ka Aangan Hoga. Working with Soorajji (Barjatya) was the best part of doing Jhilmil... 

Does television satisfy the actor in you?
I am happy doing a cameo where I get an opportunity to create a lot of new flavours. I can do so much in a short stint. It's not that I don't want to do a full-fledged role. If there is a pivotal role that affects the story line then I'd like to do that. Unfortunately today TV has no challenging characters. 

How is it working with Ekta Kapoor again, with whom you started your career?
Ekta is one person who's completely responsible for what I am today. It is because of her that the actor in me was born. If she calls me for a show, I don't think twice. She's never offered me a meaningless role. I am happy working with Ekta because she listens to you when you need her. 

Like your counterparts, you aren't in news all the time.
I am a very social person. The private life is called private because it is meant to be like that. I can't tell you how much fun I am having these days — my make-up room is bang opposite Mona Singh's room and we are having a blast. We shout, scream, crack jokes — I too have my share of fun.