TheKaBhiFactor-OS Contest *Voting Round*

AnVishtian thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

-One Shot Contest Voting Round-

Hello all Kabhians/Asyaians/QHians! ⭐️

Finally the wait is over and we(Team TKF )are here to present to you the OS entries by all our lovely participants. 

I firstly would like to take up this opportunity to thank and applaud everyone that took the time out to give us their beautiful AsYalicious One shots. Thank you all ever so much for your time,effort and dedication,without you all we couldn't have done it! 👏 👏 🤗

Ok friends,so lets not waste anymore time (as I have already wasted quite a bit 😆) and get voting.

Below are the rules for voting followed by the OS entries.

RULES:

• Each member can only vote for two entries by typing the entry number in your post. (For eg: #5)
  • None of the participants are allowed to advertise their OS entries to anyone at all and will be immediately disqualified if we find them doing so.
  • You cannot vote for your entry. 
  • Please be fair and Do not create fake accounts to vote for your own entries.

If you Entry is missing then please PM- Me (.Rinnie.) or shaz2009 Asap!

Your OS's be judged according to two categories, They are:

Popular

Critic

Best popular OS will be chosen by direct voting (through this thread)

Voting will not be restricted only to TKF members but all IF members will be able to vote directly.

Coordinators (Rin & Shaz) will keep track of the votes.

The Panel of Judges will select the best Critic OS which will be later send on to Mrinal Jha for final selection.

Last Date to Vote-10th June

The link to the TKF OS Contest Page:

Regards,
Rinne & Shaz
On behalf of Team TKF. 😊

Edited by .Rinnie. - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AnVishtian thumbnail

So Qhians get ready to read the entries!

No more delays, presenting to you the Entries now.

Please go through all the entries before voting.

Entry No #1

Sighing deeply, Zoya sat down at the dining table with her plate of freshly washed strawberries. It had been quite a few days since Eid, but celebrations amongst the Muslim community were still on-going. Zoya was alone at home since Dilshaad, Najma and Tanveer had gone off to one such party held by a friend of Dilshaad's. Dilshaad had tried very hard to convince Zoya to come along, but Zoya simply wasn't in the mood. She hadn't been in the mood for anything in a while. Zoya picked up a strawberry from the plate and stared at it, as she began reflecting on the past few months.

It'd been a while since Asad and Zoya had put up that act about being engaged so that Zoya could extend her visa and stay in India. Asad had even put a diamond ring on Zoya's finger, to make the act even more convincing. In the end, they successfully tricked Mr Batawdekar and Dolly into believing that they were truly in love and getting married soon, thus getting an extension for Zoya's visa.

Zoya remembered fiddling with the ring a few days after Mr Batawdekar and Dolly had finally exited from their lives, before finally taking it off her finger and striding up to Asad's room. She took hold of Asad's hand and placed the ring in his palm, telling him that she didn't need to keep it anymore since they no longer needed to pretend. Asad simply nodded and closed his palm, before turning away from her and walking to his wardrobe. The memory was still as clear as day in Zoya's mind, as she stood there staring at his back, tears brimming in her eyes, threatening to fall any second. She stood there for a long while, hoping he would change his mind and let her keep it, but he didn't. He didn't even turn around to see whether she was still there.

After that day, everything went downhill. Asad distanced himself from Zoya to the extent of not even acknowledging her presence when they were in the same room. So Zoya decided to ignore him as well, causing the distance between them to grow even more. Zoya began to wonder what she was even doing in his house anymore. There were so many times she was tempted to just book the next flight back to the US, but she could never get herself to do it. There was a sense of incompleteness engulfing her, so she'd retreated into a shell, silent and sad. She couldn't even remember the last time she smiled. Zoya badly wanted to feel whole again, but there was a void in her life she couldn't place, and it bothered her all the time.

Zoya snapped out of her daydream when she heard the front door open. Asad walked in with his briefcase, tired from a day's work. He noticed from the corner of his eye that Zoya was sitting at the dining table, but didn't turn to look at her. He was pretty sure that ammi had told him they were all going for a party, and that he'd be alone at home for dinner. Looks like Zoya decided to stay home and torture his soul instead. Asad contemplated for a while before deciding that it was the best time to do what he had planned for the longest time, since they were alone at home anyway. Determined, he paced to his room, intentionally failing to acknowledge Zoya's presence.

Zoya watched silently as Asad walked to his room wordlessly, and she felt a sharp piercing in her heart. She got that he didn't want to look at her; he hadn't in a long time. But would it hurt for him to at least nod to acknowledge her? Why couldn't he even be civil towards her? Wrapped up in her new-found rage, Zoya began stuffing her mouth with the strawberries, forgetting altogether that she had washed the strawberries to enjoy nibbling slowly on the sweetness that she loved so much. Her mouth was still full of strawberries when she picked up the very last one from her plate. As she was about to stuff that one into her mouth as well, to join the strawberry mush that was already inside, she stopped midway. Asad had come up to her and he was standing next to her chair, looking down directly at her. Zoya dropped the strawberry from her hand in shock. It had been a long time since she'd drowned in those intense eyes.

"Miss Farooqui, yeh aap ke liye hai. Eid Mubarak," Asad stated matter-of-factly, as he placed a brown paper bag on the dining table. Zoya badly wanted to say something, but her mouth was full of strawberries. Besides, before she could get to it, Asad marched right off to the living room just as quickly as he had arrived. He sat himself down on the sofa with his back facing the kitchen and switched on his laptop.

Zoya blinked a few times as she tried to swallow the strawberries in her mouth. Did Asad just give her an Eid gift out of the blue? She wiped her damp hands on her jeans and opened the paper bag in a rush. There were two boxes inside, a small one and a slightly bigger one. She opened the small one first, and gasped when she saw its contents. It was her mom's missing earring! She'd been looking for it for so long, and Asad had it all along? Why didn't he give it back to her before then? She put it aside as curiosity got the better of her and she jumped right into opening the bigger box. She took the contents out and gasped again, unable to contain her shock. Asad had gotten a matching necklace made specially to go with her mom's earrings!

A smile had almost crept up her face when another thought crossed her mind. He'd spent months distancing himself from her, and now suddenly he gives her such meaningful gifts, yet failing to provide any explanation at all. She wasn't going to just accept his hot and cold behaviour like this. She placed the necklace back into its box, grabbed the last strawberry off her plate, and stomped right on over to the sofas.

"Mr Khan, yeh earring mera hi tha pehle se, so I'm going to keep it. But this necklace, I can't accept it," Zoya said, as she placed the box on the coffee table in front of Asad. Asad closed his laptop and put it on the side table. He rubbed his forehead and nodded, not even bothering to look up and make eye contact with her. Zoya wasn't surprised with his response, she was getting used to it. She turned around, and was just about to pop the last strawberry into her mouth when she tripped on the carpet and fell clumsily onto the sofa, her legs dangling aimlessly over Asad's knees.

"Sorry," Zoya mumbled, as she began to try and swing her legs off Asad's knees. But she found that Asad had placed his arm around her legs, preventing her from moving them. She stared at him questioningly, but before she could form a sentence, Asad pulled her legs over his knees, sliding her right up into his lap. Zoya gasped yet again, as her head collided with his chest. She looked up to see Asad glowering at her, as his arm slowly snaked around her waist and pressed her body into his.

"Why don't you ever accept any jewellery I give you?" Asad demanded to know, his voice husky and sullen. Zoya stared at him in confusion. This was the first time he had ever gifted her jewellery, so what was he talking about? Zoya was just about to verbalize her thoughts when she felt Asad's legs move around uncomfortably beneath her as he tried to reach into his pants pocket. He pulled out something Zoya had least expected. The reason for the bitterness in their relationship the past few months was now staring at her in her face. It was that wretched diamond ring.

"You returned this piece of jewellery back to me too, do you remember?" Asad asked, as his eyes bore deep into Zoya's. Zoya tried to compose herself and collect her thoughts. Asad was always so unpredictable, where was he going with this?

"It broke my heart when I did that, but I thought you wouldn't want me to keep it," Zoya finally whispered, after a moment of silence. Her answer was met with another stretch of silence; only the sound of each other's breathing puncturing it. Zoya's heart began to beat faster and faster, as Asad slowly removed the arm that he had wrapped around Zoya's waist. His hand rose to her face, and he slowly cupped her cheek.

"On that day, for the first time in my life, I realized that I do have a heart. Because I could feel it breaking in chest," Asad whispered, by way of an explanation. His fingers began to trace her lips, as he wiped away some remnants of the strawberry mush that had escaped from her mouth earlier.

Zoya's eyes widened at Asad's admission, and at her own as well. She felt Asad's hand reach for hers, and he slowly removed her fingers from grasping that strawberry she had yet to pop into her mouth. He placed the strawberry on the coffee table, and then returned his attention to her hand. Asad lifted her hand and placed a soft kiss on it, before slipping the diamond ring into her ring finger.

"When I had first placed this on your finger, I wanted you to keep it forever. And I still want you to keep it forever," Asad whispered into Zoya's ear, blowing hot breath on her cheek. Zoya blushed deeply as Asad said this, and it simply grew deeper when Asad began raining soft kisses on her cheek. Zoya struggled to calm the erratic beating of her heart, and surprised Asad by suddenly pulling out of his arms and getting up from his lap.

"Theek hai Mr Khan, aap itna insist kar rahe ho toh I'll keep it," Zoya said mischievously, flashing her pearly whites at him. Asad grinned widely, despite himself. It had been a long time since he'd seen that beautiful dimple of hers. His Zoya was back, and the thought warmed his heart. Zoya picked up her lone remaining strawberry from the coffee table and was going to pop it in her mouth for the umpteenth time that day, when she felt Asad's hand close over hers and stop her. He took the strawberry out of her hand and smiled at her softly, as he wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her towards him again.

"You know, I believe in sharing quite a bit too," Asad teased, reminding Zoya of the time she gave him a speech on sharing just to earn some kachories. He bit into a portion of the strawberry and then moved his mouth towards Zoya's, pressing the strawberry against her lips. Zoya blushed prettily before finally indulging him and opening her mouth to receive the strawberry. As they both chewed down into the strawberry, their lips brushed each other's in the briefest of a touch.

And in that moment, Zoya Farooqui knew that she was finally whole again.

The End (:

XXX

AnVishtian thumbnail
Entry No #2

The story is from Asad's POV.

It's Eid today! Mine and Zoya's first Eid! I'll make sure she'll remember this Eid for the rest of her life.

I woke up early for going to the masjid to offer prayers. I quickly took my shower and wore a white Kurta Pajama went to the hall and there she was my beautiful wife; helping Ammi and tamatar with all the preparations. She looked so beautiful in white lehanga with pink stole wrapped around her. She just wore a pair of earrings yet she looked so beautiful. I quickly snapped out of Zoya land and went towards them. "Eid Mubarak" I wished everyone. They all wished me and hugged me one by one.

Soon, I came back home from masjid. "Where is Ammi and tamatar?" I inquired. "They went to meet some of our relatives." Zoya replied. Suddenly the bell rang and I opened the door.

A man came to deliver the things I had ordered. I quickly took them and hid it in our room. I had to make sure that Zoya didn't see it as I wanted to give her a surprise. It was noon I thought maybe it was the perfect time to give her but alas!  Right then Zoya's friends arrived and I had to delay my plans for some time.

I thought of something different!

It was almost 9:00 pm and I have finished all my work; waiting for Zoya to enter. Ammi and tamatar will be late so I had the golden opportunity to spend time with Zoya.

Zoya entered the room and the look on her face was priceless. She was stunned seeing the room decorated just the way she wanted. The entire room was decorated with vibrant flowers, balloons and candles which spread a dim light across the room.

She scanned the whole room and the only word escaped through her mouth was "Wow"

I hugged her and wished her, "Eid Mubarak!" She wished me back with her famous smile. "Wait close you're your eyes" I said and then her questions started! After she was Zoya but I managed to calm her down. I took out the present I bought for her and slipped it in her finger. Her eyes flung open. "Diamond ring!" she exclaimed as she adored the ring on her finger. "It's beautiful!" she said. "Not more than you!" I whispered in her ear. She blushed a hundred shades of red. I smiled seeing my effect on her. "There's one more surprise." I brought a tray and Zoya squealed, "Strawberry cake! Yum" I smiled seeing her innocence.

We both ate the cake and then I bent down on my knees and extended my hand towards her and asked her for a dance. Zoya accepted and we both danced. Zoya rested her head on my chest and she said, "This is the best Eid of my life! I'll cherish these moments forever."

AnVishtian thumbnail
Entry No #3

As children we are told the importance of that one moment when everything else in the universe is blurred out of focus and only the person whom we love becomes paramount in our reason for existence. It is drilled into our heads through fairytales, through folklore passed down by our ancestors, and friendly gossip about Prince Charming.

However, somewhere along the way we grow cynical. The real world with its miseries and stories of violence and horror clamps down upon our souls, and suddenly all those tales of 'first kiss' and 'true love' sound 'cheesy' and 'artificial'.  Those Valentine's Day cards that we had treasured become symbols of consumerism and all those chick flicks we cried over remain just that, chick flicks.

However, Zoya Farooqui was still an old-fashioned romantic. So she happily strolled down the streets of an old bazaar in Bhopal, the same one where she had looked for her deceased father a few months ago, looking for bangles to wear the next day, which happened to be Eid. A flurry of people swept to and fro the nearby masjid. There was a silly smile on her face as she inspected the chudiyan.

From a few yards away Asad Ahmed Khan impatiently surveyed his  guest and now fiance. What was taking Ms. Farooqui so much time? It was a small get-together to celebrate Eid, not her wedding! And what was she so happy about? It was as if the next day was Valentine's Day. 

Zoya on her part didn't know what was wrong with her either. The previous day she had seen Tanveer showing off her new bangles to Mr. Khan. Even though Mr. Khan had been too immersed in work to notice, something about that scene pricked at her heart. It was as if her subconscious was warning her that Mr. Khan was not really her groom-to-be, and that as soon as she got her Indian citizenship approved, he would break off their engagement. 

Thankfully Mr. Bhatavdekar seemed to have given up spying on them after Asad's Bollywood style airport-proposal scene. Still, there was an irrational part of her that told her that as Mr. Khan's fiancee it was she who deserved to show off her bangles, not Tanveer. Allah Miyan, since when had she become so possessive about Mr. Khan's attention!

She finally purchased some red ones-Red was his favourite color-and walked back to where Mr. Khan was parked just as he began honking impatiently. She ignored the grumpy look on his face and admired her new bangles. The setting sun cast a faint glow over the area and her stomach growled. She needed to eat, and fast!

Along the way, she saw a strawberry seller. 'Mr. Khan, could I please buy some?'

'We're going to reach home in half an hour. Ammi is making treats for us. And you don't know how these streetside wares are!'

'But I've always wanted to taste Indian strawberries! Please Mr. Khan? I'll eat what Phoophi prepared too, I promise.'

Asad sighed. Zoya could be so childish sometimes! Yet, somehow, that look on her face as she happily went over and bought a bunch of them was worth it. Though he would never admit it, she looked...cute.

When they reached home, Dilshad was making piping kachoriya. A woman had been called to apply mehendi. Zoya happily went to have her hands decorated. Tanveer tried to attract Asad's attention with her mehendi design, but in vain. Asad had already retired to his bedroom in order to set out his clothes for the next day.

Just before Asad was going to close his eyes and go to sleep, he saw Ms. Farooqui stepping out onto the balcony and admiring her mehendi in the moonlight. He looked at the intricate patterns of henna on her hands, and his fingers stretched out of their own volition, as if to caress them. He wondered what the color of the mehendi would be the next morning. The deeper the color, the deeper the love of your husband. 

'Ms. Farooqui!' he called out.

'Yes Mr. Khan?'

'Wait for at least a few hours before washing it off okay?'

'Mr. Khan I know what mehendi is. I was almost married once remember?' she asked, bemused.

'Yes,' he said irritably, 'but still Ms. Farooqui just let it stay on for a while okay?'

'Why?'

'What do you mean why? The color will be deeper!'

'But Mr. Khan why do you care what the color of my mehendi will be?' she frowned.

'Because-' he started, then stopped abruptly. 'Nevermind' he said sullenly, and turned his back to her.
------

'Eid Mubarak Mr. Khan! Look what I made for you! Sevaiyyan, your childhood favourite!' Zoya said eagerly.

Asad put down his phone, visibly frustrated. Why did his Abbu's relatives keep calling him to wish Eid when it was clear that he didn't have anything to do with that family anymore? He looked at the bowl Zoya was holding out and tried not to make a face. Ms. Farooqui's cooking experiments were best left untouched. At the same time, he knew it would be wrong to turn it away.

He took a spoonful and smiled. It was actually good. It was only then that he noticed what Zoya was wearing-an elaborate red salwar kameez, the dupatta of which was brushing against his wrist. For some reason, the piece of cloth sent a frisson rushing through his arm. She was also wearing red bangles. He found himself unable to take his eyes off her.

You'll have to to work extra hard to appear grumpy today, Asad Miyan! a naughty part of him teased him. So what will you do to deny your attraction towards her? Scream at her? Throw the sevaiyyan away?

Shut up, he thought.

'Mr. Khan, what did you say?' asked Zoya, confused.

He coughed. 'Ms. Zoya, we'll talk once we've offered prayers okay?'

She looked slightly disappointed as she walked away. Asad wanted to stop her and tell her how delicious the breakfast she'd made was, but then decided it against it. She'd just use it as an excuse to feed him that every morning!

----

After the prayers were finished, Zoya and Asad both distributed clothes and food to the beggars around the masjid. There was an awkward moment when they bumped into Shireen and Ayaan. Shireen, still miffed at what she considered an act of 'black magic' at Ayaan and Humeira's sagaai gave a perfunctory 'Eid Mubarak' and walked away. Ayaan however was pleased as punch to see his 'Mona Darling'.

As Ayaan and Zoya joked around, Asad felt the same spark of jealousy that Zoya had felt two days ago. What was wrong with him? Ayaan was his brother, and Zoya was just a guest! Besides, Ayaan was engaged to Humeira. He and Ms. Farooqui couldn't possibly have anything romantic going on! Yet he noticed the camaraderie they shared, how aggressive and playful they were while talking to each other. 

Zoya was cheerful around him too. But she never schemed and plotted with him the way she did with Ayaan. 

Whatever. Why would I want to be a part of their stupid plans anyway, he thought.

Just then, a little girl came up to Asad and tugged at his kurta. Asad smiled and bent to give the child a plate of sweets. The girl kissed Asad on the cheek, leaving him stunned. Zoya burst out into laughter, then stopped on seeing the stern look on Asad's face.

For a moment, Zoya thought Asad was going to scream at the girl. However, Asad surprised her by ruffling the girl's hair and saying 'Eid Mubarak'. He'd make a good father, she thought, then chastised herself for the remark. What was she thinking? 

'Ms. Farooqui,'Asad called. Zoya ran over and said naughtily, 'Are you going to give me sweets too?'

He rolled his eyes. 'No Ms. Farooqui...I got you this.'

Zoya looked quizzically at the package he was holding out.'Don't open it!' he said alarmed. 'Wait till you get home.'

Zoya smiled. What could possibly be there in it that he didn't want her to open it right then?
----

When they got home, they found trouble awaiting them as usual. Najma was laid up in bed, unable to move. She'd been throwing up ever since she'd eaten the sevaiyyan she'd found lying in the fridge.

'Was there something in it she's allergic to?' the doctor asked.

'I don't know,' Dilshad said tearfully. 'Zoya was the one who made it.'

Asad lost his cool. 'Ms Farooqui, every time I think you have learnt your lesson and become more responsible, you disappoint me again. What was the need for you to make it? You're not even that experienced in cooking! You should have just let Ammi or Tanveer make it. Now look what's happened to Najma because of you!'

Tanveer smiled. Her plan had worked!

'Mr. Khan, are you trying to say I'm the one who gave Najma food poisoning?' Zoya cried. 'Have you ever considered that maybe it's the fault of the store I bought my ingredients from? No, you only know how to blame ME! I'm so sick of always being guilty Mr. Khan! I think it's better I don't stay in the house tonight!' 

'Ms.Zoya, wait.'

'Yes, Mr. Khan' she said turning around, eager to hear him apologize for having jumped to conclusions. 

'Please return my ring before you go anywhere.'

She looked at the diamond ring that had been lying on her finger ever since Asad had proposed to her at the aiport. It had never occurred to her to remove it, nor had it ever struck him that maybe she should return it. She'd been wearing it as if she were really engaged. However, right now it only reminded her that her relationship with Mr. Khan, like their engagement, was non-existent.

She pulled out the ring, threw it at his face and stormed out, leaving behind a fuming, unrepentant Asad.

------------

As night fell, Asad's temper finally cooled, and worry for Zoya kicked in. She'd left her cell phone at home. Today was Eid, and it was forbidden to go hungry. Zoya hadn't eaten anything. She'd made all the breakfast for Asad and his family. Asad felt like banging his head on a wall. Where could she be?

For Zoya, there was only one place in the world that could offer her solace right then, and it was her father's grave. She placed her face against the cold stone and sobbed, partly due to anger and partly due to hunger. 

'Zoyaaa!!' came a scream from far away. She perked up. Was that Mr. Khan? No, why would that jerk look for her? She continued crying, lost in her own world, where her Abbu hadn't left her and she would have never had to be Mr. Khan's guest.

'Zoyaaa!!' came the scream, this time louder and nearer. She stood up, turned around and saw Asad running towards her. Even though she was mad at him, her body automatically threw itself towards Asad's direction, and they both embraced. Asad clutched tightly onto Zoya, kissing the top of her head.

'Ms. Farooqui, what is this? Do you know how crazy you drove me?' he yelled.

She broke away from him, and the tears which had stopped started rolling down her cheeks again. 'You're the one who's driving me crazy! Today is Eid, a day where you're supposed to forget all past hatred! But you still keep remembering all my past mistakes! I don't want to talk to you Mr. Khan!' She pouted and folded her arms.

Asad sighed. 'I'm sorry Ms. Farooqui. The doctor told me that it wasn't your fault. Najma hadn't been feeling well for the past few days. She just didn't tell us because she didn't want to spoil our Eid.'

Though Zoya was glad to hear it, she kept sniffling. 'I don't care Mr. Khan. You've hurt me a lot.'

'Ms. Farooqui, stop crying first. Let's go home and discuss this.'

'Why should I stop crying? You can't control me.'

'No I can't, but today is Eid, a day where you're supposed to be as happy as possible. So Allah ke vaaste, forgive me okay?'

'Ms. Farooqui...look what I've got for you.'

He took out a box from the pocket of his jeans. Inspite of herself, she looked back and gasped as she saw him taking out the ring. 

'Ms. Farooqui...you can have this back.'

'But we're not getting married. Why should I keep it?'

'Who said you're not getting married Ms. Farooqui? Inshaallah you will find somebody,' he said with a mysterious smile. 'Just keep it. Consider it my gift to you.'

'And what about the gift you gave me today morning?'

'That was a laptop.'

'What? Mr. Khan, I thought you would have got me something interesting...'

'Ms. Farooqui, you're one to talk. I haven't got my gift from you yet.'

'Oh no, I completely forgot! You will really like it Mr. Khan, it suits you.'

'Which means I'll hate it.'

'Mr Khan!'

As they walked away from the graveyard, Asad put his arm around Zoya's shoulders. A nightingle perched in a nearby tree sang. The moon shined down in all it's glory. Nature was celebrating its own Eid Mubarak...
AnVishtian thumbnail
Entry No #4

Zoya's Own Family

It was the day of Ramzan Eid. Everyone in the Khan household were awake earlier than usual. Dilshad was already busy in the kitchen making 'sheerkhuma' (a Muslim dessert made specially on Eid) while the girls were upstairs, getting ready. 
"Zoya! Can you do my hair please? Why did I have to have a bad hair day TODAY of all days?" Najma whined, looking at her frizzy hair.
"Don't worry Tamater, Zoya Faruqi can do anything. Well issi baat par ek sher arz hai,
Bad hair days to sabko aate hai, aaj Tamater ki baari hai
Bad hair days sabko aate hai, aaj Tamater ki baari hai
Oh come on, you know Zoya Faruqi sab kuch fix karsakti hai!
Shukriya! Shukriya!" Exclaimed Zoya, doing the Aadaab. 
"So can you do my hair before Bhaijaan comes?" Asked Najma, making a puppy face. 
Zoya nodded and rushed to her room to fetch the products needed. She tied a cloth around Najma's eyes as she wanted to give her a surprise and got to work. 
Asad was staring at her, mesmerised, from the window as she moved about doing his little sisters hair. 
Zoya spotted him and blushed. She too glanced at him again and again. Najma noticed that Zoya had stopped doing her hair. 
"Zoya? Are you there??" She called. 
"Yes, yes Tamater, I am very much here. I am just thinking - Aha!" She snapped her fingers, while Asad smirked. 
Zoya saw that and flashed her tongue at him. 
He went to his room and revised his lines once again. He had a surprise planned for Zoya during the party his Ammi had kept. 
He went downstairs to check if everything was okay. 
On the other hand, Zoya was done with Najma's hair. She untied the cloth and allowed Najma to have a look at her hair. 
"Wow Zoya! I don't mind having bad hair days now. My Zoya Bhabhi is there to fix it. Infact if anything of mine is spoilt, my Zoya Bhabhi can fix it!" She said, with her head tilted on one side. 
"Oh really? You are making me your Bhabhi so I can fix all your stuff?" Zoya teased.
"No, I am not making you my Bhabhi, Bhaijaan is." Najma winked at a blushing Zoya.
Najma giggled and took off to help Dilshad. Zoya too followed her.
"Ammiii! How can we help?" questioned Najma.
"How can I ask such pretty girls to help me? You two sit down and have some sheerkhuma while I prepare the biryani." said Dilshad, chuckling.
Asad was also seated on the table, drinking sheerkhuma. Zoya and Najma joined him. 
Zoya had a sip, "M.A. Phuphi! This is THE best sheerkhuma I have ever had. Jeeju banned Appi from making sheerkhumaa so I haven't had it for years."
"Its okay Zoya, I will make you some whenever you want. I will teach you too." said Dilshad.
"Anyway Ammi, did you order the strawberries? We were going to make cheesecake." informed Najma. 
"They must be coming." replied Dilshad.
"Ammi, I am going to the masjid for Eid-Ul-Fitr Namaaz. Allahfiz." announced Asad, getting up from his seat.
"Khudafiz."
While walking out, Asad halted and looked around.
"Ammi, I don't see Tannu anywhere. Where is she?"
"Tannu is down with a migrane. I told her to rest. She will be okay Inshallah." said Dilshad with a smile.
Asad nodded and left. Zoya was angry. He had been looking at her since morning, but had not said a word.
"Always worried about Tannu." she muttered under her breath, she had no idea about what was to come. 
The girls started making their cheesecake as Tanveer came downstairs.
She offered to help but Zoya refused. She wanted to make it herself for Asad, whether he liked it or not.
After some time, guests started pouring in. All the women in the house got busy with them.
Asad, while talking to the guests, was torn between his brain and heart. 
His brain said he should wait and his heart wanted him to just let out his feelings then and there.
By the time he decided what to do, lunch was put out. Asad could not wait for these guests to finish. How slow were they?! 
When they finished, he felt like an eternity had passed.
"Ladies and Gentlemen," he clapped, trying to attract all the attention, "Firstly, I would like to say, Eid Mubarak! Secondly, this is a very special Eid for me. I would like to introduce to you a person who makes my life, is my best friend, my life, my love, my everything. She taught me how to smile on the saddest of occasiones. She taught me how to live. Until now, I was just a breathing soul but she made me a human being. I would like to call -" Tanveer stepped forward, "Miss Zoya Faruqi!
Zoya please come here," Zoya came and Asad went down on his knees, holding her hands."Miss Zoya Faruqi, will you do me the honour of being my bride?" he got out a diamond ring from his pocket and held it out to her.
Tanveer was dumbstruck. Dilshad and Najma were happy and surprised at the same time.
"Yes!" Zoya screamed happily, there was no comparison for her happiness. No words could express it.
Asad slid the ring in her finger and hugged her. Najma brought in the strawberry cheesecake.
"Thank you so much Bhaijaan! I am the second happiest person on earth, first being Zoya Bhabhi ofcourse." squeeled Najma.
"Beta, you made a very good choice. Zoya is the perfect one for you. Now go on, cut the cheesecake!" Dilshad handed them the knife.
The couple cut out a piece of the strawberry cheesecake and fed each other. They fed their family too.
"Thank you Asad, thank you for giving me my own family." said Zoya, tears of happiness escaping her eyes while the whole family group hugged, leaving Tanveer out.
AnVishtian thumbnail
Entry No #5

The Journey of Fight to Proposal

"Yeh knock ke naam pe door phodna bandh karo aur andhar ajao .."said Asad sipping his strawberry milkshake  n again concentrating back on his laptop

"You mean apko time nahi chaiye? I mean apko ..I mean mein aise hi ajau?"

"Miss Farookhi all fine na?Or is it that u need an very important  and urgent appointment with a psychologist?

"Without waiting for any further invitation or pleasentaries Zoya entered Asad's room n narrowing her eyes at him spoke, "Allah Miyaa!! Whats wrong with you ??"

Raising up from the sofa Asad tried moving or rather walking towards her.But then Alas!

Pointing her fingers at him, spitting anger Zoya barked, "Aap mere Mangetar Ho,Apko nahi lagta u should be gifting me something today?"

With each of her word she moved further  ahead accusing him n dint stop tell he hit his back on the wall.

Hitting his back on the wall brought him back from The Zoya Land..where his zoya was smiling n blushing instead of screaming on top of her voice.. Gaining his sense n voice back he confronted her..

"Zoya..What is All this about, I have important work due for tomorrow letme get back to work"

Like a lioness she put her hands across on the wall and caging him spoke with gritted teeth Mr Asad Ahmed Khan Don't U Think You Are Forgetting Something Important?"

"Who me?Zoya stop speaking in riddles n get to the point, I seriously am busy and have no time to waste upon.."

Her mouth dropped into a perfect 'O' n words flew out of her,But being The Zoya she could never  be blank for more than a second..

With all her anger focussed on Him she spiited," You think talking to me is a waste of ur sooo called important time?,Okay Fine carry on with your so called important work .. I m out of here.."

The next thing that Asad's ear could hear was the musical tone of his room door being banged shut close.

A lopsided smile appeared on his face which ended with a knowing smirk. 

~~~

A few hours later Zoya found herself seated on the passenger seat of Asad's car with the seatbelt tightly latched on her.

She couldn't believe herself all He said was Miss Farokhi I want to tell u something important join me down in 5 minutes.. n here All her anger flying off with a ray of hope she was sitting at the passenger seat.

Zoya was bolted out of her thoughts with the sudden jerk of the car,twisting her head from one side to another all she could make out was that they were at a dead end,at some mountain peak.

Zoya was waiting .. for him to come and unlatch her belt n take her like some princess , but the she reminded herself that this was not any normal guy but her Akdoo Ahmed Khan.

She followed him to the peak end ,just when she reached there her eyeballs were ready to fall of the socket.

Her mangetar was on his knee n in a shy akward yet confident voice sang or rather spoke..

Hum tere bin ab reh nahi sakte..

Tere bina kya wajood mera..

Taking her tiny hands into his manly ones he spoke further..

Tujhse juda agar ho jayenge  toh khudse hi ho jayenge juda..

Zoya couldn't believe her eyes ..her so called arrongant Mr Khan was on his knees n on top of that he was singing for her.

Kyunki tum hi ho.. ab tum hi ho zindagi..ab tum hi ho

Chein bhi .. mera dard bhi meri ashiqui ab tum hi ho..

With these lines he propped up a diamond ring.

"Allah Miyya!! Whats wrong with You?"

In return all she got was a stern smile from the man on his knees..

Bursting into smile of joy n happiness with a heart reaching laugh she said..

Jahapanna Six Packs Tussi Great Ho.. Tofa Qubool Karo n kissed him on his cheeks .

Azad slips in the ring on her finger n said Happy Birthday zoya.. I love You.. n I can never ever forget ur Birthday, 

AnVishtian thumbnail
Entry No #6

Title: To thee I Gift

A gift from God is a gift that no other can match, except the object of your love. A man who falls on his knees at his own free will- with bloodshot eyes and a heart filled with anguish. The one who yearns to shower you with all the happiness in the world. The most prized gift such a man can give a women is the symbol of their love... their union. 

A ring to bind them together forever.

A diamond ring.

Asad Ahmed Khan's only wish was to keep his mother happy, and smiling at all costs. That would never change; no girl from a foreign country would diminish his love for his mother. She will never be able to cloud his mind and make him forget the essence of his motherland and its traditions. 

His mother's decision had been final as she uttered the words. 

Words as horrific as a curse were thrown around. Tears were shed. Silence had prevailed. Destiny was changed. Lives were ruined, and love? Forgotten. Acceptance... Gone. 

It was the beginning of the end. 

The end of a story that never started. 

Asad's face glowed under the dim light of the room. His eyes roamed around to look at the little lights scattered across the room like fireflies under the darkness of a cloudless sky. They glimmered and shimmered, as if in joy. It was an ominous evening. The evening of his engagement. 

His bride to be broke through the stairs and walked gracefully till she was beside him, her eyes nervous as she tried to search for something.

The slight frown on his face deepened as he took in her appearance. She wore a red saree with green prints on it. The bangles in her hand clinked as they hit each other. She ran her hands across her face, finally realizing that it was reality.

Her lips curled up into a smile and her eyes glittered in happiness. Asad couldn't help but notice the silver that framed her dilated brown eyes. He sighed, unhappy with the consequences. 

His mother had not listened to a single word he had said. He didn't want to hurt anyone, he didn't want to be proved as his father's son. 

Don't they say that a apple doesn't fall far from the tree? 

"Asad, go down on your knees and give her the ring," Dilshad whispered to him. Her voice was hoarse with worry and sadness. She hadn't wanted to be the one to force this marriage on her son, but what could she have done? The mother could never tread on dangerous waters where her child will drown. 

Without a word of protest, Asad went down on his knees, his eyes shut, his heart beating like a drum against his ears. He opened his eyes forcefully as they protested against looking around him at the expecting faces of people he knew. 

He took her willing hand in his and slowly slid the diamond ring in her fingers. He sucked in a deep breath as the crowd erupted into applause. 

He couldn't believe it. He was engaged... For the second time in the last 4 days. 

It had been three days since the volcanic outburst of relationships. Three painful days where Asad found himself slipping into an unknown world where he didn't know his mother, his sister... Tanveer or Zoya. 

The woman at the end of the room looked at the scene in front of her eyes. She fisted the white material of her salwar-kameez. The material slipped from between her fists and her gritted teeth snapped open. 

She stood like a statue at the corner of the room. No one gave her any attention. Najma stood in front of Asad and his fianc, her smile barely there. She was sad. 

The woman in the shadows turned and ran up the stair and shut the door behind her with a thud and flung herself on the bed. The scene played over and over in her mind. 

She would see the end of this, she promised herself. 

Asad stood up and combed his hand through his hair in frustration. He couldn't believe what he had just done. 

"Jammy, are you alright?" his bride-to-be said. His jaws tightened as he tried not to snap at her. 

"I'm fine, Tanveer." He smiled tightly at her and turned to his guests who waited to congratulate the man who didn't understand why he couldn't be happy with his mother's rash choice.

~To thee I Gift~

Zoya had trapped herself in her room for the party and came out at the wee hours of morning when she knew no one would be awake. She silently climbed down the stairs, still sniffling from all the crying that had transpired between her and her heart. She heard the sound of a crash and rushed down the stairs, hoping to find something suspicious.

She had always been reckless and lively, hoping that she would get the perfect opportunity to show Mr. Asad Ahmed Khan her ambidextrous side. 

But indeed, luck was never with her. The Devil himself was crouching beside the dining table, growling at the mess he seemingly made early in the morning, remembering how he had accused Zoya of waking up early and making a larger share of mistakes every day. 

He wondered to himself if HE was the one who was making the mistakes all the time. At that moment, it seemed as the most appropriate answer. 

"Mr. Khan?" Her voice was low as she approached him. He jumped in surprise and swiveled around to face her. He sighed in relief when he saw her face, but when he noticed the bags under her eyes, his worried eyes searched for an answer in hers. 

"What's wrong?" He panicked. 

She seemed surprised at his outburst and shook her head in a 'no' a little too quickly. 

"Tell me, Miss Farooqui." He wouldn't take her lies. 

"I couldn't sleep..."

"Where were you last night during the... the ceremony?" His voice broke at the end. She flinched with him. 

"I wasn't feeling up to it. I came down, but..." She sighed, unable to elaborate. What could she say? That she couldn't bear to see her host kneeling in front of another woman because he had already done the same for her? How could she? He was protecting her back then... and now he's protecting his mother. 

"It's okay. You were dearly missed." She snorted. Always so formal, Mr. Khan.

"What does that mean?" He hissed. 

"Nothing." She laughed bitterly. "Congratulations on your engagement. I hope you have a happy married life." She tried her best to smile,  but all she could manage was a grimace. 

"Ammi chose you, Zoya. I appreciate that you tried to let her down easily." He breathed. "I know that you are not ready to get married." He stared at her eyes as he leaned forward to close the space between them. 

"I was hoping you wouldn't try to thank me. I was trying to save you from getting into anything you didn't want for yourself." She smiled sadly. "I have seen how well you go with Tanveer, you two will make a good pair." She knew how bad she was at lying when it came to him. She avoided his eyes. 

"Sit down, Zoya," he said softly. "Why do you think that?" His voice was pained as he tried to force his true feelings out. 

Why can't I tell her that she means a lot to me. I want to be with her... I will hurt her- How can I? 

Ask me Zoya! Please!

"After the bus accident, when you reached the site... you went to her first." She squeaked. 

"What?" He muttered in astonishment. 

"You ran right past me into her arms, Mr. Khan... You didn't even see me." Her breath was ragged as he gripped onto her hand. "Maybe you love her?" She chocked. 

His eyes turned red. 

"I... I don't love her, Zoya. I SWEAR!" He tried to reason. The door behind them banged to a close and they turned to stare at it. It was the door to the washroom beside the kitchen. They hurried towards it, sure that someone had been eavesdropping. 

They could hear the sound of strangled coughing. The door was slightly open and they saw Tanveer bent over the sink. Her body was heaving and she coughed loudly. 

They opened the door, rushing to her as another heave approached. 

The putrid smell of vomit hit their noses and they lurched back. Asad and Zoya tried to help the weakened Tanveer out of the washroom to her room. She fell asleep silently after she was placed on her bed and the two remained by her side. 

Asad being the gentleman that he was left the room, asking Zoya to take care of Tanveer at night. He would be back early when the sun rose to check on her. 

Zoya nodded, understanding his worry and misunderstanding it for his love. Her heart ached more with every passing minute... She couldn't have it anymore.

~To thee I Gift~

Zoya's suspicion grew with each day that passed. Tanveer's nausea had increased with the days. Her headaches and backaches were a normal occurring in the household. Everyone was worried that she was under too much pressure and was falling apart. Zoya observed how Tanveer always seemed tired and fell asleep at every chance she got. She didn't voice her suspicions, but she knew that all of these were the signs of pregnancy. Her Appi and Jiju had tried for a long time and she was well aware of the signs...

Just to be sure, she looked out for Tanveer and monitored her behavior. When it came to the frequent trips to the washroom and the aversion to food, she was absolutely sure.

Tanveer was pregnant, but... WHO?

Asad? 

It hurt to even think that.

No. Asad is a man of principles, he would do no such thing!

But he is a man, Zoya...

But she chose not to believe her heart. She chose to see rationally and came to the conclusion that Asad was not the father. 

She was going to confront Tanveer... NOW.

It was the day before Asad and Tanveer's Nikah. Zoya had avoided Asad at all costs because she didn't want him to know about her plans.

"Tanveer?" She turned back to look at a determined Zoya. "I need to speak to you." Tanveer nodded, confused of what ZOYA had to discuss with her. She was sure that Zoya couldn't break her wedding and she hadn't cared about her anymore.

"Yes?" She asked politely.

"Are you pregnant?" And like that she bluntly told the words that crossed her mind. Tanveer's mouth hung open, her eyes blazing with rage.

"How dare-" Zoya cut her off.

"The truth." She bit out.

"Why are you asking me if you are so sure, Zoya? How can you accuse me of such a sin?"

"Becoming a mother is not a crime, Tanveer. It's a gift from God every woman dreams off... Yet you seem to not appreciate it. Answer me!" She was getting angry with each passing business.

"That is a horrid thing to say!" Tanveer acted, but Zoya saw through it. She was sure that Tanveer had a lot more to offer than just a pregnancy scandal. She needed to know.

She would find out by tomorrow... She was sure of it.

But if her plan failed, she would go to Asad and ask for his help.

~To thee I Gift~

"Asad, listen to me for once!" She begged. He refused to speak to her when she tried to tell him that Tanveer was not who they thought.

"Miss Farooqui, can you hear yourself, right now?" He gritted out. "You sound like a teenage girl trying to break a wedding. Is this some sort of childish act of yours?" His voice grew loud.

"Mr. Khan, one chance is all I need. I think she's-" He raised his hand and turned away.

"Everyone is busy with the preparations for the wedding and here you are... suddenly obsessed with the idea that Tanveer is the villain." His hands flailed above his head in exasperation. "I knew that there was something wrong with you, but how dare you judge someone you don't know?" Her eyes glazed at his words.

"Mr. Khan? You're a hypocrite. You don't know me either, yet you always judge me by the look of a situation, and I am sorry for that!" Breathe Zoya!

"Me? What is wrong with you?" He gripped her hand and pulled her closer to him. Zoya tried to glare at him, but his eyes... so enchanting and magical, drew her in. She could feel the sinking of her heart as the images of his engagement flashed in her mind. How she had thought that he cared for her... but- she was wrong!

"Zoya..." His voice lingered in the air, caressing her here with the love that was put into the word. Zoya... alive. She truly was an epitome of life and beauty. Who wouldn't want her? It was a pity that she would never feel so deeply for him, but that was what he thought.

"Strawberries, I love strawberries." She breathed, shocked as to why she was saying that.

"What?" He said, amused at her sudden confession.

"I don't know, Mr. Khan. You will not listen to me... I hope you realize in time..." As she turned around to leave she saw Tanveer walking away from them, rushing towards her room. And she was sure... she isn't good for Mr. Khan.

Asad deserves so much more...

~To thee I Gift~

Zoya wore the most beautiful clothes she could find. She practiced the fake smile she would have to present in front of strangers and seem happy at the marriage of her host. She had seen how Asad looked that evening... He looked ravishing.

Something in her belly turned when she saw him silently gazing out of the window as she strolled around the garden to check all the arrangements. His eyes were distant, even from where she stood and she knew that something was bothering him.

Asad had gifted her the best possible thing ever. He had taught her the most valuable lesson in her life. It wasn't the matters of heart that hurt, it was the people who confused these matters with their ideologies that hurt. Zoya would never forget that. Asad's gift wouldn't go to waste. She would use it wisely and think before she acted ever again.

Asad had hurt her to the greatest extent. She felt like she would break down any moment. She wanted to curl into a protective ball and cry her eyes out till there were no more tears left. This was Asad's gift. He had given her all the pain in the world on the day of his marriage. She was THAT special.

She wished it was something related to her revelation.

She breathed in the fresh air and smelled the fragrance of a thousand flowers that adorned every surface of every furniture in the garden. The nikah was going to take place in the midst of people, under the silver moon, a perfectly romantic mood for a man as beautiful as him. It would be the dream wedding for any bride.

"Zoya!" She heard Tanveer.

"Yes?" She mumbled, narrowing her eyes at the villain. "Do you have something to tell me?" She asked, feeling a bit smug that she had scared Tanveer enough to make her confess.

"I need to speak to you in private..." she pleaded. Zoya nodded and followed silently. The wedding was a few minutes away. The house was deserted except for Tanveer and Zoya who had been asked to escort her to the venue.

Zoya found herself in Tanveer's room. There were piles of gifts scattered everywhere on the floor and Tanveer walked straight to the dresser and pulled out a certain green package.

"A very special woman sent me this gift." She smiled, her teeth showed and her eyes turned menacing. Zoya sensed that something was wrong and took retreating steps.

"Don't leave, Zoya. I have so much to tell you!" She smiled and sauntered towards her. "Let's unwrap this gift, shall we?" She pouted as she ripped the gift wrap and produced a thick metal case. She opened the case and placed it carefully on the dresser before pulling out a metallic object.

Zoya's eyes widened as she took in the object. A pistol. She turned to leave, but felt the cold object press behind her ears.

"Where do you think you are going?" Tanveer cackled. "The great Zoya Farooqui, who knows karate is scared of a... gun?" She clucked her tongue as if in pity. "I don't think you know who you are, Zoya. Shall we tell you who you are?"

"Goodbye, Zoya Siddiqui. Shall we send you to your mother? Your father doesn't want you. You're just an illegitimate child of his. He's alive and he doesn't need you. Asad doesn't need you. Dilshad doesn't need you. Najma doesn't need you and I? I will kill you, right here." She didn't even give her a moment of realization as she fired the gun. Two shots were heard, but the sound didn't reach the garden.

The loud cheering drowned the sound of a gun without a silencer... As if stunned to silence, Zoya slid to the ground, gasping for air. There was no pain yet, but it was there at the seems, waiting to appear.

Tanveer opened the door and left silently as if nothing had transpired.

~To thee I Gift~

"Where are you going?" He asked. Asad saw Zoya limping towards the gate. She chocked on her breath as she looked at him, pain flashing through her eyes. 

She didn't know where she got the courage from, but she pulled herself off of the floor, down the stairs and outside the house... till now. The pain hadn't appeared yet. The fire of desire inside her heart burned. Mr. Khan had a wedding to attend to and she would not be present.

"I'll be back in a few. I forgot something very important," she said sternly and the determination in her voice stopped Asad from protesting. She limped forward... slower now...

She entered her car, turned it on and put on her bluetooth device behind her ears.

"Hello. This is Zoya Farooqui speaking. Someone shot at me a few minutes back."

"Is this some sort of a joke?" came the voice.

"No." She choked out. "I'm driving towards the hospital and I'll reach in a few." She told them the name of the hospital and let the phone drop. The hospital was about two minutes away from the Khan Mansion and her furious driving made her reach before her time.

As she entered the hospital she could see the people staring at her. She sucked in a breath and fell to the floor.

~To the I Gift~

"What's happened to her?" tears streamed down his eyes as he pleaded the doctor.

"She's been shot twice. We have her under supervision and the wounds weren't that bad. Her right hand was shot and the second one just brushed past her hips. She is lucky." The doctor smiled reassuringly at Asad.

"Can I speak to her?" The doctor nodded, sympathizing with the man in love with the patient.

"Go ahead." He gestured. Asad didn't have to be told twice. He rushed towards her bed. A smile spread across her lips as he felt his presence and opened her eyes slowly.

"What's wrong, Mr. Khan?" She chuckled, but the vibrations hurt her hand.

"I brought you strawberries." He smiled at her, wishing he could hold her in his arms. "You said you loved them." And that was how he avoided answering her.

"So?" She challenged.

"I'm sorry," he said and she smiled. I'm sorry I didn't believe you. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you. I'm sorry I wasn't the one to hold you when you needed me.

"It's alright, Mr. Khan."

"She's behind the bars now." He rasped. The police arrived almost too late and revealed the news of Zoya's condition. Asad's eyes had found Tanveer's and he had been sure that it was her who had endangered the life of Zoya. He'd run to the hospital and found out that Zoya had given her statement to the police when she gained consciousness. She had refused to take any visitors and demanded that she be allowed to sleep it off, like she'd had a fever.

Asad had received a phone call where Tanveer's plans came out. The goons she's hired that shown up to finish her work and had been caught on premises. They confessed that they had been paid to finish off Zoya Farooqui after Tanveer had the pleasure of hurting her.

He made sure Tanveer never came near his family again.

"Zoya?" He whispered. "Can I ask you something?" He whispered. She nodded, excited as to what the great Asad Ahmed Khan had to ask of her.

"My mother demands that I get married with someone because of a stupid curse she believes may befall on me. I have no idea who else to turn to now. You're my only hope. Will you marry me once you recover so that my mother's mind is at peace?" He gulped as he waited for her answer. She laughed, thinking about how cute he was and how he reacted after every time he thought he had lost her.

"No." She giggled.

"What?"

"Do you want to marry me, Mr. Khan?" She teased.

"Of course not! Are you mad or what? Who'd want to marry you?" And the fits of giggles continued.

And that is how the two of them got the biggest gifts of their life. No, Asad never fell on his knees and asked her to marry her for the second time, but what they got was more. Asad got back his life and gave Zoya himself as the gift.

God's gift is life, but when a loved one gives themselves to you, all you can do is bow down to them and be in awe.

That was Asad's gift to Zoya. His life. His love... Everything was hers. 

AnVishtian thumbnail
Entry No #7

"Sir, may I help you with your choice?" the salesman inquired politely as Asad sat staring at the array of diamond rings on the table in front of him. He was here to buy an Eid gift for Zoya and a diamond ring seemed the best choice for hadn't he heard so many times how diamonds were a girl's best friend and wasn't a diamond forever.

"Sooo….," he mused loudly, "if I give her a diamond it'll say my love is forever?"

"Ummm, hmmm…," the salesman mumbled cautiously not sure who this question was directed to.

Oblivious to his mumble, Asad picked up one delicate solitaire and asked it to be packed. At the counter after a few minutes, he still didn't feel happy. He had missed Zoya like anything for the past 28 days now. The funny part was that she hadn't gone away somewhere, she was at home, in his room, she was his wife after all but still he hadn't been with her. It was Ramadan, with fasting and special prayers everyone had been busy. During the day, it was impossible to go anywhere near her and at night, by the time he came back from the mosque, she was usually sleeping worn out and he didn't have the heart to disturb her.

Tossing the box on the passenger seat, Asad was about to put the key in when a thought flashed through his mind. "Why the heck didn't I think of it before!" he thought as he jumped off the car again.

-_-_-

"Eid Mubarak!" he heard Zoya's voice as he opened his eyes for the morning prayers to look into hers. Bending down further, she placed a soft kiss on his forehead and got up only to be pulled back into his chest. Zoya found herself on top of him, locked between his arms.

"What? Mr. Asad Ahmed Khan, what mood are you in today?" she winked at him.

"You seriously don't want me to go in that direction right now!" he warned her, "but right now all I want is a better Eid Mubarak, way better!" it was his turn to wink.

"Ohoo Mr. Khan, what's up, early morning romance, wow, I may faint which reminds of a poem..," Zoya couldn't continue as Asad took her breath away with a deeply passionate, long kiss. Turning over, he pinned her under him as he ended the kiss with "Eid Mubarak!" in a voice laden with emotions that left Zoya speechless as well as breathless.

-_-_-

"Is the dinner ready Zoya and Najma?" Dilshad asked from the living room as she flipped through the channels to the annoyance of Asad who was lying with his head in her lap.

"Ammi, it's Zoya, I am ready to bet that it isn't!" Asad mumbled with his eyes closed.

With a light smack on his head Dilshaad shushed him.

"Ammi!" Zoya screamed from the kitchen, "it is ready but I am not going to set the table until your very stingy son gives me my Eid gift!"

"Ammi, tell her that all good things require patience!" Asad smiled.

Dilshaad looked fondly at her son, getting an inkling of what may be on his mind, "Zoya darling let's have dinner!"

-_-_-

"Mr. Asad Kanjoos Ahmed Khan, today you broke your own record by not……" Zoya's voice trailed off as she entered the room an hour later.

"Woah! Wow!" Zoya was completely taken aback. The room had been lit white candles, on the coffee table was a cute cake all decorated with strawberries, her favourite, and on the bed she could see a sheet covering something.

"Eid Mubarak!" Asad said in a low husky voice from behind her as he put his arms around her and bent his head to place a soft kiss on the nape of her neck.

"Asad…" Zoya breathed out his name as her knees turned to jelly.

Gently, step by step he took her towards the bed. With one arm still around her waist, he used the other to flick away the cover to reveal his gift.

Zoya gasped at what she saw. Of course there was the ring sparkling in its black velvet case but near it was a black lace chemise. Poking him in his ribs Zoya teased him, "Very naughty! I am more interested in knowing how you made this purchase!" she snorted before continuing, "Hi, I am Khan, Asad Ahmed Khan and I want a sexy black…." She lost control over her laughter.

"Ok, fine! You want to make fun of it, go ahead!" Asad said irritably and turned away.

Wrapping her arms around him from behind, she kissed his shoulder softly, "it's just that I didn't expect this today!" she said.

"Umm well, I missed you, you know really missed you this past month, guess I just wanted to show how much!" he said truthfully, "So, if you can't stop making fun of it, let me put it away," he added when he saw her biting her lips as if to hold back a giggle.

"No, no," she grabbed his arm, "I was just thinking which one of your gifts to wear!" she said raising her eyebrow meaningfully.

"What?" Asad didn't get her.

"Which one of your gifts to wear, the ring or the sexy, black…." She didn't complete as she saw his expressions change.

Pulling her towards him he embraced her gently and bent his head to kiss her. Lifting his head after a while, he said, "go wear both, bringing you down to just the ring is my job!" and finally got Zoya where he wanted her, blushing furiously!

AnVishtian thumbnail
Entry No #8

A Ray in the Darkness

Zoya stood outside waiting for a taxi or a rickshaw or anything to get her away from here as the rain soaked her slender form. Silent tears rising from her pudgy eyes hidden in the rain. A slight breeze swept by the side road and Zoya shivered.

"That blasted man," Zoya cursed him as her jaws slightly quivered. With more force this time, "may the devil take him," she cursed up at the sky, squinting her eyes as the rain drops landed on her lashes, hoping someone was hearing her up there and would do exactly what she had said. Hoping perhaps he would magically disappear from this earth. Afterall, this earth was too good a place for people like him. But then of course her treacherous heart had to get in the way and beg for leniency, hope that he would never be taken away.

Madness is what Zoya was calling it. She was fuming. She was bleeding. She was hating, yet caring. She could not decide what to do on the verge of this unrelenting madness.

"What the devil did he think of himself?" Crying it was again then. Zoya let out a slight laugh at that, a hysterical one. Perhaps she was losing her mind, thus the madness. He had pushed her past the edge one too many times and it seemed he had pushed her right off the edge this time.

Murder. He thought of her capable of that. The words still haunted her, echoed in her consciousness over and over again.

"Aap jaisi be lihaaz aurat yahi toh karegi Ms. Farooqi (Something like this is expected of an immoral woman like you, Ms. Farooqi).

Oh the Ms. Farooqi at the end had stung perhaps more then the rest of his vicious words. She had never heard her name said in such a manner as if her name were wholly evil, as if it inspired disgust. The hatred in his eyes boring into her fragile heart. She would never forget those eyes as long she she lived and pain would lace her heart each time she remembered those eyes.

"Who does he think he is? Zoya Farooqi can live without him. I don't need him," trying to convince herself or the heavens above she did not know.

"Aapne Taanu ki jaan lene ki koshish ki. (You tried to kill Taanu). Get out of this house Ms. Farooqi."

Someone had tried to kill Tanveer the previous night. She had been attacked in Mr. Khan's house. Taanveer had cried a little and those false tears had melted Mr. Khan, but he could not see her tears. He could never see her pain, her truth. Her truth was always subject to an outsider's verification. Tanveer had blamed Zoya and of course Mr. Khan had very generously bestowed the blame on her tiny shoulders as he had always done in the past. Never once doubting the outrageous claim. He had thrown her out of his house in the middle of the night leaving her to fend for herself.

"That bas***d, uhhh..." She could not rid herself of the frustration of falling in love with a man so wholly undeserving...of loving a man who would never treat her with respect for who she was, a man who would never understand her, a man who may never love her back. In hindsight, it was all her fault really. What had she been thinking loving a man who had insulted her every step of the way, but then his kind eyes and tiny smile flashed behind her lids and she the feelings rushed in. She remembered again why she had fallen for him to start with.

She would replace all those memories with the sour ones of him hurting her, of him slapping her, punishing her. She would forget him.

"I will forget his very existence. You all watch," she screamed at the heavens again. Perhaps she was angry with the angels themselves for her doomed destiny to love an unappreciative, unworthy man. She wanted to scream to them that she would change the course of her life, she would change the destiny they had begotten her.

Her battle with the high lords was put to a halt when she heard a splash from behind her. Alarmed, she looked back and stood frozen for one terrifying moment. Two men approached her threateningly in a drunken stupor. She took several steps back, stumbling through her purse on her hip trying to find her pepper spray as she kept her eyes level with the frightening drunk men.

Finally opening the can she held it at arm's length and sprayed with all her might, hopefully blinding them for eternity. Then she sprang in the opposite direction.

A couple minutes later she stopped and looked back to see no one was following her. She breathed a sigh of relief and stopped. A mistake. Heavens were perhaps upset with her for the defying speech she had made moments ago.

One of the men was right behind her again. The man grabbed her wrist and she squealed. He pulled her towards him and pawed her. Zoya felt disgusted as she smelled the fowl smell of alcohol on his breath.

She squirmed but his hold was too tight to get out of. She had to fight for her life because Asad Ahmed Khan was not going to come to save her. As that thought crossed her mind she lifted her feet and bent her knees and hit him with the utmost force she could generate. And down he went howling.

She took that opportunity and fled again.

She had been running for ten or so minutes with the rain pounding on her head and getting more and more tired with each stride.

Zoya suddenly realized she had been running on the middle of the street when a car almost ran her over. Thankfully, she had gotten out of the way in the nick of time. The car had ended up smashed against a tree.

Zoya quickly ran to the car to make sure the driver was fine.

Luck was really not on her side, Zoya realized as she saw the driver...Mr. Khan.

Her nose started to flare again at the sight of him. Her pain rising again. He was the last man on this planet she had wanted to see ever again but her destiny seemed to be playing a cruel joke with her, shoving him in her face only moments after he had ripped her heart out.

The force of the crash had caused his head to bang against the steering wheel, but he was still fine, evidenced by his sudden shift. Mr. Khan gazed out of the window staring straight at her.

Despite the anger, she would not have left a dog, let alone a man, injured on the street. But now that he was fine, Zoya could run away peacefully.

Unfortunately, Mr. Khan would not give her that little peace of never having to see him again. Before she could escape, he had opened the car door and had her wrist clasped in his strong hands.

Zoya was really tried of being manhandled, especially after the recent attack, so she twisted and turned her wrist in the hope of freeing herself. But he was much stronger. How many times had she praised his six packs and admired his hard body, now she cursed it because it kept her where she did not want to be. She would rather have burned her wrist than have him touch her. His harsh words had finally done the unthinkable...brought her out of her stupid dreams. And they had been stupid. To hope she could be loved by such a hypocritical, undeserving man was stupidity to its core.

The battle of the wills pursued with his warm, but deceiving, eyes boring into her glaring ones. He may be stronger, but her will was stronger.

She pushed him and she wrenched her wrist away. Her strong will being aided by the adrenaline pumping through her veins caused him to budge and finally she was out of his grasp. She backed up several steps, but he closed the distance.

"Stay away from me," her voice calm, but her eyes shooting fires.

"I can't. I have come to take you back. Come with me."

Her eyes narrowed to an impossible degree. Oh, the audacity of that man. She could just shoot him right here, right now and not feel any guilt.

Zoya was losing her mind. She could not stand this man in front of her. His condescending manner. He could shove it up his ass for all she cared because she no longer had to listen to him and neither did she want to listen to him. She had put her self-respect, her pride aside one too many times for this man who was never willing to relent.

"The hell I will. Actually hell will freeze over before I go anywhere with you. I would rather die here on the street than go with you. You will have to drag me kicking and screaming before I go anywhere."

Before she could even move or utter a squeal, he was in front of her and then her stomach was shoved on his shoulder. He had taken her over his shoulder. Rage filled her at the audacity of his man.

Her fists pounded his back and her legs kicked his chest but he dealt with the struggle swiftly by wrapping his arms around her legs, stilling them, but she continued pounding his back.

"How dare you. Baba azam ke jamane ke pagal, neche utaro mujhe. Purani sooch wale gadhe, UTARE MUJHE (Put me down you old fashioned moron, PUT ME DOWN)." She screamed but he was not to be moved.

He opened the driver's side and placed a thrashing Zoya in the passenger's seat. He got in quickly before she could attempt an escape, and started driving.

Zoya screamed which didn't work, then resorted to threats which also didn't work. She would not beg though. No matter what, she would not plead to this dishonorable man. The last remnants of her self-respect were too precious to give away in such a manner to the same man who had stripped her of it.

So finally she gave up and remained silent.

A while later, she gasped as the thunder roared like a hungry beast. She had not realized amidst all the manhandling that the rain had increased exponentially, and now there was traffic jam and they were stuck.

Zoya took the opportunity to slyly run away but before she could even reach for the door handle, he had her wrists clasped in his hands yet again.

One day, she was going to cut that hand off slowly, tortuously, if it kept grasping her like this.

Mr. Khan parked the car off to the side somewhere dragging Zoya out the driver's side again and took her to a nearby shed.

She was seething inside at this treatment of her. First he had blamed her of murdering his lady love then kicked her out in the middle of the night and now he had the nerve to drag her around like this.

Several moments after they had entered, he spoke up.

"I..I am sorry."

Zoya huffed. Classic Asad Ahmed Khan. Do something wrong and then apologize. Of course darling, sweet Zoya will always forgive him because she was a bumbling idiot.

"Please Ms. Farooqi. I did not know. Tanveer...she was lying."

She was just not going to respond because he was not worth it. Not worth her time, her energy, or her love. She just stared at the hay on the floor as if it was the most interesting thing in the world.

"Look at me dammit." He said as he grasped her chin and forced her to look into his eyes.

She still remained her cool, not letting him affect her. But inside, she was fuming. How dare he treat her like this as if she was rag doll.

"Please..." he plead. His pleas were thawing her heart slowly, but before she could let her emotions give away her last modicum of respect, she remembered all the things he had said to her just hours ago and toughened up again.

"Zoya..." she looked into his eyes at that. He had called her Zoya for one, and plus he had said it with such longing that she could not remain unaffected. She was human afterall.

"Zoya I...love you." Her eyes widened. She had not expected to hear that. For some reason, she wanted to believe him. Despite all the things said in the past, she knew those hard eyes that had gone chocolate soft could not lie.

No, she reprimanded herself. Even if he loved her, so what. She could not live with a man who would never respect her, even if he loved her. Besides, she did not understand his version of love where you distrust and disgrace the woman you claim to love. Maybe their definitions were different.

"You love me too, don't you?"

"No," Zoya finally broke the silence.

Zoya wanted to believe the lie she had just uttered, but it was just that. She may be angry with this man, she may hate him, but she could not deny that for some godforsaken reason she cared about him.

He huffed a little, and said "jhotti (liar)."

She glared at him at that. The smugness of his sureness of her feelings rubbed her the wrong way.

"I hate you," she said spewing fire from her eyes. Hoping he would believe her and leave her alone for all of eternity.

"That may be true, but you love me too." He closed the last few meters between them, placing his hands on her waist and had her flush against him. She looked up at him surprise evident in her eyes.

His hands slowly moved up and down her spine and Zoya had to suppress a shudder. One of his hands came up to her neck and his thumb glided over the sensitive part of her neck. She couldn't hold back the next shudder that went through her body. Her eyes shut and all she could do was feel his hands wrecking havoc on her system.

Suddenly she felt his lips at her neck...nipping, biting, licking at the slope and she moaned.

Just before she could lose herself...a shred of sanity shot through her and she pulled back from him.

But he was not relenting. He kept walking towards her, watching her as a predator watched his prey, but she would not be his prey. She would not fall, not this night.

Within moments she had backed herself against one of the bamboo's that were holding the shed together. And just like that he had captured her in his arms again.

"Why are you breathing so hard then?" She had not even noticed that her breathing was so labored, her heart rate skyrocketing.

"Lust," Zoya said. "Not love."

"Lust can lead to love and love can lead to lust. But, it's the latter in your case Zoya. I will prove it to you."

He kissed her cheek then and trailed towards her lips. Zoya got lost in seventh heaven when his lips touched hers. Slow, tender at first then almost desperate as his tongue fought to gain entrance in her mouth which she kept refusing. Zoya fought hard to keep her lips sealed, but lost eventually perhaps because the kiss was too magical to fight against.

Finally he pulled away, and whispered across her cheeks, "strawberry. You taste like strawberries."

After a few moments when his heart had returned to normal, he said "I am sorry Zoya for everything that I said. For thinking you could do anything like that. Tanveer had evidence, which I now know was all fabricated."

That brought Zoya down from her high fast and quick. She could not hold back the anger anymore. She was fuming.

"Oh right because Zoya's truth cannot be proven until someone else verifies it. Because you can never just trust me. Because you always must distrust me since I am an evil, modern girl. You hate the very idea of me. You hate my morals, my opinions, my lifestyle and you say you love me. You criticize me for even breathing." She paused, lowering her voice she laid herself bare, "I have never in my life met anyone who made me feel so horrible about myself. So inadequate, as if no matter what I do, it will never be good enough. I will never be good enough," she whispered the end as her eyes simmered with tears.

She hated this feeling of inadequacy that he incited in her. The hatred stoked a fire in her again, "And you think I love you," she scoffed at that trying hoping if she scoffed enough she would finally believe the lie. Truly, she did not understand how she could love a man who made her miserable most of the time, who made her feel this way. Maybe it was because of the times he looked at her and got lost, or the times he saved her life, or the times he touched her tenderly. She did not know, but he always somehow ended up making her miserable.

"Yes but despite how big of an ass I am, you still love me. I don't deserve it I know, but you do love me. I can see it in your eyes. I can even feel it."

Stop here if you want to read a happy ending (Scroll down a little for the Alternate ending)

"Look into my eyes and tell me you don't love me."

She looked him point blank in his eyes and said, "I do love you," emphasizing each syllable. "But you don't deserve me and I will be damned before I spend my life with the likes of you. A dog is better than you Mr. Khan. Atleast a dog is faithful to the one who cares for him, and loves him while you hurt the ones who love you." There that would hurt him the way he had hurt her. "Regardless, it does not matter if I love you. You are not worth my time or my love because you are nothing but a hypocrite who destroys those he does not agree with. No amount of pleading, begging will change my mind because I would rather spend my days lonely with my respect intact then spend it with you without it.

"Zoya please. What can I do so you will forgive me."

"Nothing. There is nothing you can do," she said with a strange resolve.

As a last attempt to stop her, he got out a diamond ring from his coat pocket and presented it to her. "Marry me and I promise I will make everything right. I will change."

"No, I won't," and with that Zoya walked away from him for the first time with her head held high. Despite the pain of her first love being unfulfilled, she felt content. Sometimes you have to leave those you love because you can compromise everything for love, even your life, but you cannot give up your self-respect. You cannot be a shadow of your previous self for the man you love.

Happy AU:

Asad went on, "I always tried to push you away from me because I did not want to admit that I needed you. I would tell myself that you can never be serious or have any responsibility because then I would never even think about you as a potential wife. No that's only partly true. The truth is Zoya I always thought I was a conservative man but now I realize that I am just a judgmental, hypocritical man. My past influenced me in ways I did not realize. I never knew when my conservative beliefs became hypocritical, or when they started to make you feel this way. I...I wish I could go back and redo it all. I would not judge you so this time around. I would love you as I intend to for the rest of my life. I would never treat you the way I did. I would not take you for granted. I would just love you. But I can't go back so now I will change starting right now."

Asad reached in his pocket and got out a diamond ring. He kissed it and slowly got down on his knees while locking his eyes with Zoya's. The depth in them made her knees go weak. Good lord. He was saying all the things she wanted to hear. How was she supposed to remain vigilant when he said these things to her? When he made her every fantasy come true?

Her eyes glowed at the sight of him on his knees with the glowing diamond ring between his fingers, asking her, "please Zoya, marry me. I promise to love you, honor you, and respect you forever. A last chance. Please say yes."

Suddenly, chuckles escaped Zoya's lips, and tears escaped her eyes involuntarily. How could she say no. She may regret it the next time he called her modern but she still could not deny him. He was asking for a final chance, how could she refuse? If she said no, she would live her life wondering about what ifs. So only one thing was left to be said, "Yes."

A big smile spread across his face. He put the ring on her finger while he was getting up, which caused another fit of laughter to rise from Zoya's throat as she watched him struggle to accomplish both tasks together, but the laughter disappeared when he kissed her. And Zoya was lost. 

AnVishtian thumbnail
Entry No #9

o0o

AN UNFORGETTABLE JOURNEY.

Delhi

The bus blenched black smoke and lumbered on the road that full with vehicles of various shapes and sizes, even though the clock had just ticked past 8 am.  It carried people from all walks of life to their workplaces. In the midst of the suffocating crowd, a girl in her early twenties hung onto the overhead bar for dear life and complained to her Lord.

' Allah Miyan, what's wrong with you? Why can't you help me convince Aapi that a scooty is essential for me to get to college? I know it was my mistake that one time but we do learn from our mistakes.' she huffed.

Zoya Farooqui was a 2nd year B.Com student at St. Xavier's. She was a bubbly and cheerful girl who never refused to give someone a helping hand if she could. Her parents had passed away while she was still very young and she was taken care of by her mother's relatives. Presently she lived with her Aapi and Jiju and was the apple of their eyes.

The bus came to an abrupt halt squashing Zoya against one of the passengers. She cursed her fate.

She froze suddenly when she felt something. She gulped and turned back and turned back to see an unruly man probably in his late twenties ogling at her; his hot, fetid breath raising her hairs. The way he stared almost made her feel as if she was standing naked in front of him. The man gave her a lascivious grin. Zoya shuddered in disgust.

'Please, do you mind standing a little farther away? There is no space here, you know.' she finally gathered the courage to ask.

But the man either did not get the hint or pretended not to as he leant nearer still, causing Zoya to back away in the limited space she had.

'What? I did not get you.'

Zoya wrinkled her nose in repulsion. She was thinking of jabbing a pin to get her point across when a muscular hand shot in front of her and shoved the man aside. She followed the length of the arm and her heart skipped a beat when she saw him.

His strong square jaw, chiseled face and his raven black eyes could set a thousand hearts fluttering. His hair had been mussed from their careful array and his well toned torso suggested that he would never back down from a fight.

His velvet voice hypnotized her as he spoke. 'Do you have any problem in hearing? You heard what the lady said. Leave her alone or I will dial 100 and the cops won't leave you.'

The man glared at him before backing off. Zoya turned towards the man.

'You don't have to thank me. I did what a responsible citizen should.' the man stated.

'Um…I am not thanking you. The person who should be actually thanking you is that pervert. You saved him from a severe pinprick and a kick in the ass.' Zoya said, not liking the fact that the man doubted her ability to protect herself.

The man stared at her for a second and then burst out laughing. His laugh was infectious and made her insides warm. He laughed for a good five minutes before extending his hand forward.

'Hi, I am Asad Ahmad Khan. You are right. That man should be thanking me.' he said his eyes twinkling with laughter.

When Zoya looked at his outstretched arm doubtfully, he laughed and said' Hey, don't worry I am not as stupid as the loggerhead earlier. I don't molest girls I save the molesters from girls like you.'

And so Zoya took his hand in a firm handshake signifying the beginning of a beautiful relation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'No, no not today. You keep sitting; I am not fragile, my legs will not crumble if they stand for some time.' Zoya tried to get Asad to keep sitting.

'But Zoya, I am not thinking about you, what if some poor pervert got unlucky and got himself kicked by you? I am trying to save a poor soul.' Asad argued back, teasing her in the process.

Though they had just known each other for three weeks somehow their friendship had the feel that it had existed for ages. They were not at all similar; in fact they were as different as chalk and cheese. But the saying that opposites attract was very true for them.

Zoya signed in frustration. He always did this. But she would not budge today.

'No today I am standing.'

'Fine then I'll stand with you.'

'Asad! Why are you always so difficult?'

'Well you are not the only one with an iron determination Zoya.'

'Ugh! You are so annoyi…'

'Ahem.' their fight was interrupted by a gentleman sitting next to Asad.

'Beta, I am getting up now why don't you have my seat and stop fighting.'

Both of them blushed when they realized that they were behaving so childishly in a public place.

Zoya was quick to reply 'No; thank you Uncle there is no need for that, please keep sitting.'

'It's okay, my bus stop is next so please sit.' the man said moving from the seat and shaking his head at their adorable fight.

Asad gave her a triumphant grin while Zoya swore that she would win the next time. And so days stretched into weeks and weeks into months. Their bond remained as strong as ever if not deepening everyday.

They exchanged their dreams, lives, aspirations and troubled pasts in these journeys. Asad worked as a junior architect in a reputed firm though he wanted to build his own firm one day as he wanted to overtake his father who was in the same business. His father had abandoned Asad's pregnant mother and a five year old Asad for another woman. It was such a big blow to his young and innocent mind and he wanted to avenge the humiliations and sufferings that his mother had to go through.

Zoya on the other hand wanted to make the world a better place. She was an orphan and understood the emotional and mental pain that losing one's parents could cause to a young heart. Though Zoya had received immense love and support from her Appi and Jiju, she knew that everyone was not as fortunate as her. She wanted other unfortunate souls to receive love as well.

Zoya and Asad laughed together and forgot their lives for a while when they were with each other. They made each other complete and tried to help each other overcoming challenges no matter how insignificant it was. Even something as insignificant as strawberries.

After two months, somewhere in the early days of March

'Ew…strawberries.' Zoya said when she spotted a fruit seller selling the lovely berries.

'You don't like strawberries?' Asad asked perplexed.

Zoya stared at him and spoke slowly, 'I don't remember much about my mother but I remember the day she died. I had just started preschool. Everyday we were shown things related to our surroundings so that we could recognize what they were. I took an instant fascination to strawberry and I wanted to have it. I was very stubborn and refused to eat anything till I had the strawberry and cried a lot. My Ammi could not see me crying.' Zoya's eyes became misty. 'She left me with Appi to get them from a market that was quite far off. She got hit by a car and never came back. She left me alone.' Zoya choked back a sob. Asad's arms itched to hold her close and kiss away her silent tears. It hurt him so much that she was in pain. He held her hand letting her know that she was not alone now. With great effort Zoya regained her composure. 'That and also the fact that the first time I gathered the courage to taste it, it was too sour. It crushed the sweet, juicy yummy taste I had in my mind. I was too disappointed.' Zoya seemed lost for some time before turning to Asad. 'So, when are you going to build a mall for me?'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Asad had not turned for two days and Zoya missed him to death. The bus journey was so arduous and dreary without him. Zoya's happiness knew no bounds when he turned up on the fifth day.

'Long time no see!' she exclaimed earning to hug him and tell him how much she missed him. 'Where did you go off to? And you did not even tell me.' she said faking a pout.

Asad laughed. 'I went to get this.' he spoke producing a box from his bag. He opened it and Zoya was amazed and surprised to see luscious red strawberries emitting a delicious, floral, earthy aroma. She gazed at him quizzically. Asad spoke 'My uncle in Uttar Pradesh has a farm where he grows strawberries. I had to go and meet him due to his ill health and these strawberries reminded me of you. You are very lucky that it was not the off season they were just ready to be picked when I arrived. Go on try them. I got the best for you.'

Zoya picked up a fruit with trembling hands and bit it tentatively. Her mouth turned into a perfect 'o' as she relished its sweetness which camouflaged just a hint of tartness. It was divine. She picked up another and met Asad's eyes, her lashes wet with thankful, happy, poignant tears.

His fingers touched her eyes, gently brushing away her tears. 'Hey, I want to see you smile not cry. And that is what your Ammi wanted too, the day she left you to get these strawberries. She wanted your smile and I just fulfilled her wish, completed the job she had left undone. Now whenever you see strawberries remember that your Ammi wanted to see you smile, your strawberry sweet smile.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Asad didn't turn up yet again. Zoya was worried. The last time she saw him his eyes betrayed his anxiety but he said nothing and Zoya let it be. But now it had been a week since he came, a week since she saw him. He was not even answering her calls. She was longing to hear his voice again when she got message from him to meet him at the bus stop near to her house where he met her everyday.

He stood there leaning against a metal railing.

His eyes came to life when he caught sight of her. He grasped her when she was near enough and took her in his arms, taking her by surprise and hugged her tightly.

'Asad, what happened?' she asked him, her voice muffed by his shirt. Asad breathed in her familiar, comforting scent and uttered the words that wrenched her heart into two, 'I have to go.'

He explained her that his company thought that he was an informer of Rashid Ahmad Khan, his father and so fired him from the job. But through contacts and his hard work he was able to get a job in Mumbai.

'I want to show him Zoya that I am capable of standing on my feet. I am going to rise above him and show him that he is nothing in front of me. I want him to see with his own eyes how I will touch the skies and look down on him, the way he looked down on us so many years ago.'

Zoya just clasped his hands and said' I know Asad, that you will be successful. Go fulfill your dream. You will always be there in my prayers to Allah.' It broke her heart to tell him to go but she knew it was important for him to go and earn his identity as Asad Ahmad Khan and not the son of Rashid Ahmad Khan.

'I have one thing I want to ask from you.'

'Anything.' Zoya whispered.

'Zoya, can you …will you wait for me?'

'What do you mean?'

'I…I love you Zoya. Will you wait for me to set myself up?'

'Asad …' she breathed.

'Five years Zoya. By that time you'll be twenty five. Will you wait for me till then? I …want to make myself worthy of you.'

'You are worthy for me Asad, more than you can ever imagine. But I'll wait. I'll wait for you.'

Asad clasped a heart shaped necklace around her neck and kissed it. 'It's a promise.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Five years later on the day of the auspicious occasion of Eid

Zoya clutched the heart, her Asad's heart as she prepared herself mentally to face her suitor. For five years she fended of the proposals that poured in for her on the pretext of being busy with her Software Company and orphanage. She followed Asad's rise to the position of the director of his company through the news as they had decided not to contact each other. The five years had felt like five hundred. Though she still kept smiling her heart still pined away for her beloved Asad. She would never look at any other man but her due to her Appi's persistent pleas she gave in. She only agreed to see the man, her mind already made up that she would reject him. She didn't even bother knowing his name or seeing his face.

She waited for the man at the terrace the wind ruffling playfully with her hair, trying to pass her hints of a happy future. She heard his footsteps approach and growing louder by the second and then stop abruptly as he stood a few feet away.

Without turning Zoya said, 'I am sorry but I can't marry you. I only agreed to this meeting because of my Aapi. My heart belongs with someone else.'

'Really? How strange; it's the same with me.'

Zoya whirled around at the sound of the hypnotic, velvet voice. His voice.

She could not believe her eyes as she drank in the sight in front of her. He was the same as ever though more handsome if that was even possible. His eyes reflected his maturity and love. Love for her. As she stood still as a statue still absorbed in her shock, he made his way towards her and fingered the heart on the necklace that still adored her neck.

'I see you have taken good care of my heart. Now it's my turn to take care of you.' He produced a strawberry from his pocket and held it before her eyes. It seemed real at first sight but on closer look she realized that it was artificial. She giggled and he smiled at the enchanting sound. He popped it open and she saw a lovely, ornate diamond ring.

He took the ring reached for her ring finger and looked into her beautiful eyes.

'Zoya Farooqui, I promise to take care of you, love you with all my heart. I promise that my love will never grow less; it will be sweeter than the sweetest strawberry you would have ever tasted. I promise that no matter how many roadblocks arise in our journey, no matter how hard it will be, I'll never leave your hand. On this Id with the blessing of Allah, I, Asad Ahmad Khan ask you to be with me forever. '

'Will you marry me?'

Zoya nodded while Asad slid the ring in its rightful place. She flung herself into his arms and felt that she was finally home. He kissed away her tears with his lips, something he had wanted to do for a long time.

As she rested her head on his shoulders hearing his heartbeat, he spoke 'You know I am very glad that my bike got punctured the day I met you. If it hadn't then you wouldn't be here in my arms now.'

Zoya looked up' You mean it was not necessary for you to travel in the bus?'

Asad shook his head smiling. 'No. But the moment I met you I knew I had to go in the bus from that day. And look where we are now. The journey we started in the bus will now continue throughout our lives.'

'I love you, Asad.' Zoya whispered.

'I love you too, Zoya.' Asad replied back, kissing her gently.

And their strawberry sweet love still continues to be sweeter than any other strawberry in the world.

The End