hollywood vs. bollywood

Posted: 17 years ago

We all are from different parts of the world

many from america, many from india, pakistan,bangladesh,england,UK,and many other places, basically we are from all over the world.

We all have heard of bollywood n hollywood. and im sure we have seen movies from both industries. Knowing the fact we all are from different places, do you think dat location affects tastes in movies and industries??

And wich one do you think i  sbeteer? bollywood or hollywood?

tel me what you all think?

luuv

Puja

well i'd choose hollywood overall. nevertheless i enjoy watching bollywood movies, (like K3G) cos you can relate to them.

I like both!!
Its hard to choose
i surpose where u hav been born n brought up does play a major factor ..but that does not necessary mean u can catergories ppl according to where they live either ...its a difficult thing...coz its up to an individual ..i think that the type of friends n family u are around hav a major part...coz even tho i am born n brought up in London , UK i prefer bollywood anyday over hollywood..even tho i watch both!

Well there are a lot of things that are negative and positive for both sides.

Negatives for Bollywood:

1. Profanity- much of the profanity in bollywood movies today is really tasteless and un required for certain scenes. I mean are we watching a movie or a strip tease?

2. Uneccesary Musical Numbers- i like the occasional music number, but some of them are really unnecessary. And not only is it tough to sit through if you're in a movie theatre, but it makes a 2 hour movie three hours long!

3. No Variety- basically almost all of the stories have the same story line, and depending on the actor's and how good the music is the movie becomes a hit, however really good movies like Iqbal are overlooked because they are not glamorized. The indian audiences should stop complaining that there are no new types of movies because there are, we're just too ignorant to go watch them because we stereotype movies which dont have big actor's in them as bad.

Positives Of Bollywood:

1. Good Music- as i said above i dont like it if there are a lot of songs that are annoying, but there are good songs in most movies, provided that the circumstance provides for it.

2. Longer Movies- a movie with a really good story line like lagaan deserves to be 3 hours long, they are fun to watch and you can watch one movie instead of two in the same time period (which can be positive or negative for some people)

3. Love stories- i really do enjoy good bollywood love stories, i think they really do seperate Hollywood from Bollywood. (it shows how two people fall in love and die for each other without ever even having a physical relationship with each other.

4. The location and scenery in songs

i'm a little tired right now so i'll post the negative/positive for hollywood later.

Edited by usachick821 - 17 years ago
Originally posted by usachick821

Well there are a lot of things that are negative and positive for both sides.

Negatives for Bollywood:

1. Profanity- much of the profanity in bollywood movies today is really tasteless and un required for certain scenes. I mean are we watching a movie or a strip tease?

2. Uneccesary Musical Numbers- i like the occasional music number, but some of them are really unnecessary. And not only is it tough to sit through if you're in a movie theatre, but it makes a 2 hour movie three hours long!

3. No Variety- basically almost all of the stories have the same story line, and depending on the actor's and how good the music is the movie becomes a hit, however really good movies like Iqbal are overlooked because they are not glamorized. The indian audiences should stop complaining that there are no new types of movies because there are, we're just too ignorant to go watch them because we stereotype movies which dont have big actor's in them as bad.

Positives Of Bollywood:

1. Good Music- as i said above i dont like it if there are a lot of songs that are annoying, but there are good songs in most movies, provided that the circumstance provides for it.

2. Longer Movies- a movie with a really good story line like lagaan deserves to be 3 hours long, they are fun to watch and you can watch one movie instead of two in the same time period (which can be positive or negative for some people)

3. Love stories- i really do enjoy good bollywood love stories, i think they really do seperate Hollywood from Bollywood. (it shows how two people fall in love and die for each other without ever even having a physical relationship with each other.

4. The location and scenery in songs

i'm a little tired right now so i'll post the negative/positive for hollywood later.

Great list of pros and cons. i'd like to add that Bollywood writers should come up with more original stories. Many of the Bollywood movies coming out now are copies of hollywood movies.

Well i personally love both. But prefer Hollywood for one reason - the damn length of the movie. As long as its not loner than 2 hours i am fine. 😆
Oh man I am total bollywood freak!! i just love bollywood. love the songs, love the ghisa pita typical diogloues, love so easy to predict movie, love culture and langugae that i can relate to so much..in short i just love bollywood 😃..

i like hollywood too....but given option ...like right now.. i LOVE bollywood 😳

but i dont think there can be debate about what is better.. its just a personal preference i think Edited by sowmyaa - 17 years ago
Well, as usachick said...both have positives and negatives...but bollywood wins eventually coz they deal with lighter, feel-good themes, with fantastic music...and most of the time, u dont have to use u'r brains that much 😳 ..unlike in hollywood movies. ANd one thing I noticed is..u have to absolutely strain u'r ears to hear hollywood dialogues, they talk so quietly..whereas in bollywood, we have all these swashbuckling dialogues, emotion-dripping! But I wud like a bit of hollywood, after an overdose of bollywood..but bolly is starting to deal with more serious issues now..that's very good! And I actually like the song routine..as long as they dont overdo it, sometimes songs help the movie...well, I feel very eloquent abt this topic,,I better stop!
Frankly, Hollywood is a novelty which soon wears off once you start watching more movies from there. I have heard people commenting several times, "This is like a Hindi movie plot without songs" 😆

I think both Indian Cinema and Hollywood have something good to offer depending on which movie you watch.