Gumrah Season 3

WU : 21/7 Episode 3 Lack of Sex Education

kavyasam thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Episode 3 : Consequences of Lack of Sex Education

Karan starts the show by stating that we all miss school days. Those simple uncomplicated fun innocent tension free days.  New friends new experiences,  so much to learn. 

They show a girl and her parents in a car going to a boarding school.  He continues , that is Shreya - a sweet lovely intelligent naive girl of 14 years. Boarding schools can be lot of fun.  There is lot of independence and so much fun happens 24/7, but they will be quite lonely.  Shreya was not used to staying outside of her home.  When a child is sent far away from home and out of the comfort zone for the first time then some problems are bound to arise.

Shreya bids good bye to her parents on the first day of boarding school. She enters the dormitory. She self talks in the background that she is from Kanpur.  She remembers her family.  She is the only child.  She is from a big family who all love her a lot.  Her dad always wanted to give her a good education.  She is a rank student.  She got a scholarship and after a month of discussions her family decided to send her here.

** Sorry could not find the second part.  I will fill in here after watching tomorrow.  It appears that she made three new girl friends and that a boy named Anoop notices her *** (all of them are very cute by the way :)  )

Anoop genuinely likes her.  Her friends tease her that he was looking at her only.  Shreya avoids him.  This continues for a while. But her friends convince her to read his letter and to meet him. They talk in the library and she too is taken by this new found attraction. She lies to her parents for the first time that one of her friends' brother and sister in law are taking them for lunch and that they should give warden the permission.  The brother and sister in law of her friend drop her off and she goes to meet Anoop.  Karan says she really did not lie to her parents until now, but there is a first time for everything. First love leads to many firsts.  This was a teenage love story. 

Shreya and Anoop start meeting regularly,  pehla nasha pehla huma naya pyaar hai naya intezaar plays while they show their sweet nothings which are within limits. Her friends keep teasing her.  During one such meeting they Shreya and Anoop hug and kiss.  Shreya lies to her parents again that she was busy with classes and hence could not call them, Karan says now she was really changing but this was a fake change, underneath she was still that naive girl. Her friends were planning and deciding for her, At home it was her family that made decisions for her, here it was her friends. 

That night her friends come to her and ask that she spent whole day with Anoop  if anything interesting happened. After being coaxed continuously she reveals they kissed.  Her friends scare her that it could lead to pregnancy.  Seeing her believe them and get really tense they laugh and decide to continue the prank.  Karan says teenage is weak and emotional stage where one cannot understand themselves, on top of that there are lot of unanswered questions, curiosities, confustions. It is quite normal for mistakes to happen.

Next day they ask her if she is having a headache or if her stomach is upset.  She says she has both and they scare her even more and suggest a pregnancy test.  They convince Anoop to play along.  When she talks to him, he tells her not to worry since nothing is confirmed, but if she gets pregnant dad will be really mad and they will be laughing stock in the school.  She tells one of the friends pallavi is bringing the pregnancy strips and cries. 

Her friends tell her that if there is a blue line it is positive,  she gives them the strip and tells she cannot look at it.  They draw a blue line with a pen and tell her she is pregnant. Shreya believes them and starts to panic. They make up more stuff like if the test comes positive for 7 consecutive days she is pregnant if it changes to red she is not.

Shreya is completely lost.  She looks up some stuff on the internet.  In the classroom one of her friends says they should end it and the other two say they are planning to tell her the truth later in the day, after making her eat chocolate.  Meanwhile Shreya excuses herself from the class. After a while students find her in the washroom, unconscious and bleeding. 

Karan says what are we supposed to call this, pranks played by kids to which there is no limit? or Shreya's foolishness? because she thought she was pregnant and read some stupid remedy on the internet and decided to abort herself.  She had a screwdriver, phenol and desperation. He tells in these kind of medical emergencies you should refer to doctors and not internet. He says she did not even read completely, some one had made a funny post that with a sharp object disinfected with phenol one can undergo abortion, the post continued to say that this happened in the past in the villages and not anymore but Shreya did not read the entire thing.   He asks who should be blamed for this - parents, friends family or half baked information or lack of sex education in India amongst teenagers.

Shreya has been admitted in the hospital.  The three girls who played the prank on her were suspended. Some insensitive boys comment while Anoop passes them by that she was his girlfriend may be she was really prefnant.  Anoop wipes his tears and keeps walking.   In the hospital her parents grieve that if they had not sent her away this would not have happened. 

Karan says Shreya did not die but 80% of her organs were damaged and that she wont be the same again.   It is the fault of society, teachers and parents who avoid sex conversations with children,  if there is a kissing scene on the TV they change the channel, that is not right.  This only creates curiosity in the teenagers and they believe the information they get from the wrong sources and then such disasters happen.  He tells  parents that in the growing stages of a teenager sex education is very important and they should not avoid that.

Dr. Parul Tank says that parents should talk to their kids and give factual answers to their questions.  Otherwise there are chances that kids misunderstand the facts and  follow the myths they hear which can lead to many negative consequences.  

Karan continues that Shreya came to the boarding school to make her future to make new friends but how did she end up.   Her friends did not mean to harm her.  They didnot think that shreya could be that ignorant and naive, but she was exactly that.  There are many families where the word 'Sex' is still a taboo,  it is not spoken in front of the kids.  If Shreya's parents had given basic sex education before sending her to boarding school, things would have been lot different.  So it is time to break those walls and taboos and make people as aware as possible.

It was really well made episode by all standards.  Just as much needed to convey the message.  Well done 👏. 

I would like Gumraah to make an episode just on sex education talks, not with characters and a story but with a professional team explaining with facts, the care that should be taken, the consequences and the right age for consensual sex.  It is really the need of the hour.  

Edited by kavyasam - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shibz thumbnail
will wait.. I haven't watched either..I wasn't at home..
Minionite thumbnail
I'll wait. I haven't watched the episode yet and after last week's episode I've lost my appetite for Gumrah 3 episodes until I read the WU.
kavyasam thumbnail
Updated. 

Part 2 is pending.  I will have to watch it when V channel uploads.  Dailymotion did not post this part. 

Minionite thumbnail
I did watch the episode after all. And I must say it was both informative and important. Sex education is important and at Shreya's age it is even more important.
hormba25 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Thats absolutely correct. i feel the lack of sex education has led to the ignorance in many children and teenagers in our country. Parents and teachers need to be more open about these topics in schools and at home 
-Olly- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Thank u di for the update!..
Its indeed lack of sex education.. And also the curiosity of the teenagers..lead them to collect wrong information from unreliable sources!..parents,teachers ..they are the ones who should educate..should provide correct information..

and ditto! To what karan said!!Edited by -Olly- - 10 years ago
hormba25 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Across all the 3 episodes what i have observed is that it is the lack of communication that is the biggest problem in our society. Be it communication for sex education or communication with a crush or communication with your parents/loved ones. 
Arjuhi_kk thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

a very well executed episode!!!!👏👏👏

thnx for the WU
Fen1602 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Dat was So nc Epi
Edited by fenil.002 - 10 years ago