Manjula Vijayakumar passed away

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 10 years ago

Southern industry in shock at actress Manjula Vijaykumar's sudden death

Manjula in a still from Rickshawkaran. (Express Archive)

Veteran actress Manjula Vijayakumar, who had worked in more than 100 films in Tamil, Telugu and Kannada, died in Chennai today due to a stomach injury. she was 59.

Manjula made her debut as a supporting actress in a 1969 film Shanthi Nilayam. She was seen in her first lead role in Rickshawkaran (1971).

In the late '80s, Manjula was seen in supporting roles. She has worked with the likes of NTR, Sivaji Ganesan, Gemini Ganesan, Kamal Hassan and Rajinikanth.

As the news of her demise spread, southern actors took to Twitter to mourn the loss of the late actress.

RIP manjula vijayakumar aunty..adorable n affectionate. .you lived life queen size. a great mother n friend..remembering all the laughter. .

— aishwaryaa.r.dhanush (@ash_r_dhanush) July 23, 2013

Rip Manjula aunty:(Thx fr always wishn me well.Heartfelt condolences 2 uncle,preeta, papa n d family.Losin a parent is an inxplainable pain.

— Trisha krishnan (@trishtrashers) July 23, 2013

RIP Manjula aunty..life will. Never be the same without u..u will alwz b d most beautiful woman to me..love u so much..

Actor Manjula Vijayakumar passes away

• The Hindu A file photo of actor Manjula Vijayakumar. Photo: N. Sridharan
  • The Hindu A file photo of actor Manjula Vijayakumar. Photo: M. Karunakaran

Manjula Vijayakumar, 59, yesteryear actor, died in Chennai on Tuesday, following a brief illness.

The actor, who made her first screen appearance as a child actor in Shanthi Nilayam, had recently been admitted to a private hospital for treatment, according to sources.

Manjula went on to play the lead role with MGR in his blockbuster Rickshawkaran in the early 1970s. She also starred in another popular MGR film Ulagam Suttrum Vaaliban.

Many other lead roles came to her during the 1970s, not only in Tamil, but also Telugu and Kannada films. She has played alongside the top heroes of the Tamil industry across generations: MGR, Sivaji Ganesan, NTR, Gemini Ganesan, Kamal Hassan, Rajnikanth, and Vishnuvardhan.

In the subsequent decade, in the 1980s, she began appearing in supporting roles including mother and sister. In the 1990's the number of films came down, but she still essayed a few roles. Industry watchers say Manjula has over 100 films to her credit.

She is survived by her husband, actor Vijayakumar, daughters Preetha, Vanitha and Sridevi.

Manjula Vijayakumar, 59, yesteryear actor, died in Chennai on Tuesday, following a brief illness.

The actor, who made her first screen appearance as a child actor in Shanthi Nilayam, had recently been admitted to a private hospital for treatment, according to sources.

Manjula went on to play the lead role with MGR in his blockbuster Rickshawkaran in the early 1970s. She also starred in another popular MGR film Ulagam Suttrum Vaaliban.

Many other lead roles came to her during the 1970s, not only in Tamil, but also Telugu and Kannada films. She has played alongside the top heroes of the Tamil industry across generations: MGR, Sivaji Ganesan, NTR, Gemini Ganesan, Kamal Hassan, Rajnikanth, and Vishnuvardhan.

In the subsequent decade, in the 1980s, she began appearing in supporting roles including mother and sister. In the 1990's the number of films came down, but she still essayed a few roles. Industry watchers say Manjula has over 100 films to her credit.

She is survived by her husband, actor Vijayakumar, daughters Preetha, Vanitha and Sridevi.

- The Hindu

Thanks caryn for this post.

Shocking to hear this. She had been a good actress and i have enjoyed a couple of her movies like Rickshawkaran, Netru indru nalai, Ulagu sutrum valiban and few others.

RIP manjula.

Thanks for sharing.
Was very shocked and saddened on hearing this news.

I saw her last interview before her unexpected death and she sounded like a ?drunk woman...
She just didn't sound right and her eyes were hiding behind a huge pair of dark sunglasses.

Apparently, Manjula drank a lot of alcohol in her everyday life and it might have caused the jaundice/ liver problems during her hospital stay.
I don't think anyone would have predicted this would be the outcome when she got admitted at the hospital for a fall.

She lived her life to the fullest...but she left too soon.
My condolences to her family, especially actor Vijayakumar for losing his life-partner and his best friend at such an unexpected time.

May her soul rest in peace.
Thanks for sharing Akka.

May God bless her and her family and may they find strength and solace during this time.

I think it was her daughter who acted in Padayappa as Rajini's daughter.