SS: Decision Making in Life(Last parts&Ques Pg 10) - Page 3

Posted: 10 years ago
Serious stuff, huh? Great going.

The problems see very natural, I myself have gone through almost this situation in recent times. The reality factor appeals to me, and so does the handling. Problems of kids, the gap between dream and reality, and how lines of morality gets blurred when you really want something. Then the difficulty of parents, acting as a anchor and supporting the kids while facing problems themselves. They lack a shoulder to rest on, only have each other to turn to.

I will comment on the various issue later, most probably after the show.
Yeah serious stuffπŸ˜† But not tragic onesπŸ˜†

Yes...this admission track is something even I went through...I can relate it very well...

Will wait for your views...😊
@FT

A question regarding admission procedures in the north...
Is there a common exam for all engineering colleges? Or every college has their own exams?

Part 3

It is dinner time and all the Ahluwalias are eating quietly. Sweety and Lucky look at both their kids eating seriously. Lucky signals Sweety to speak with Rocky.

Sweety: So Rocky? Spoke with your friends? What did they say?

Rocky: [silent] Nothing special.

Sweety looks at Lucky confused.

Lucky: Why? They don't know the procedures for management quota?

Rocky: They told me...We have to pay 11 lakhs initially and then the semester fees and other extras.

Sweety looks in shock at Lucky. Lucky is shocked too. He was not ready for this amount.

Lucky: [recovering from shock] Ok...When should we go to college?

Rocky: Tomorrow..may be? We need to get it done quickly.

Sweety: Tomorrow itself? But..

Lucky: Rocky! I need time to arrange the money...can we go day after tomorrow?

Rocky: Sure...my friend's father knows the management. I will ask them to keep a seat for me. Ok?

Lucky: [reluctantly] Ok...

Rocky leaves to his room leaving a worried Lucky and Sweety. Lucky sees Ginny eating quietly. He remembers Sweety telling about her problem. He does not have the mind to have a conversation with her know. He leaves the dining without completing his food. Sweety looks at him concerned. Ginny completes her dinner and asks Sweety to help her in her homework. Sweety is confused what to do.

Rocky keeps the phone after speaking to his friend. He is not feeling happy even after knowing that he is going to study the course he wants in the college he wants. He is not feeling satisfied. Something is troubling him. He knows it is not right of him to ask his parents to spend so much for his dream, but..it is his dream. He wants to live it some way. He cannot let go off it. Just imagining himself studying in a different college and course makes him feel like a loser. He has an option and he wants to take it now.

Sweety goes to her room and sees Lucky having his bank account files open and sitting seriously. She sits near him and asks what happened.

Lucky: I did not realise how much responsibilities are there on my shoulders..How much important my duties are to this house. I should have been more careful. I should not have wasted time. I should have worked more and earned more.

Sweety: What? Don't blame yourself Luckyji! You are working so hard. What else can you do?

Lucky: Work more..may be!!? I cannot say NO to my kids whatever the situation is. I should be ready to fulfil their dreams which I fear I cannot now.  

Sweety takes the files and goes through.

Sweety: We can manage it Luckyji! I have some money with me also remember? We can put together and manage.

Lucky: What about the future? What about Ginny? I cannot spend everything on Rocky..Can I?

Sweety: [sighs] Shall we say our state to Rocky then?

Lucky: I don't know...We promised him that we will accept any decision of his...so we have to manage somehow now [thinking] I will do something.  [pauses] Get me my painkiller.

Sweety: [takes the tablet, confused] You already had 4 tablets today? Is it paining a lot?

Lucky: Yeah..[has the medicine, tired] Have to check with doctor again. In the morning he said everything is fine right? But...

Sweety: [worried] Stop stressing yourself now...You take rest now...

Lucky: What about Ginny...

Sweety: You think about yourself now...I will manage the kids..[leaves]

Lucky feels restless and helpless.  Sweety goes out of the room and stops by the staircase. She thinks about the situations in the house. She is confused what to do, whom to focus on. One hand her husband is not well and she has to take care of him and on the other hand her kids are going through stress and difficulties. She prays to God to take care of everything and goes downstairs.

Next morning, Sweety is waiting for Lucky to come. Lucky has been in pain for the entire night and was unable to sleep. They are going to meet the doctor again. Ginny and Rocky comes. Ginny has asked Rocky to drop her at school as she is getting late. They look at Sweety who is nervous.

Rocky: What happened Ma? Everything is alright? You are not well?

Sweety: No No..everything is fine. I am waiting for Luckyji. We are going to hospital.

Ginny: HOSPITAL?

Sweety: [realising] Yes...to meet Luckyji's friend.

Ginny: Oh..Ok..And I will come early as I am not going for coaching class from today.

Sweety: [not registering] Fine Fine...get going now.

Ginny and Rocky leaves. Lucky comes down and they leave to the hospital.

Ginny is back home in the afternoon and is confused to see Sweety not in home. Rocky said she has not come home after she left with Lucky in the morning. Ginny makes juice for both of them and they drink watching TV. Lucky and Sweety come home in the evening. Ginny and Rocky looks confused.

Rocky: What happened Dad? You are looking so tired.

Sweety: [looks at Lucky and then at them] Nothing..just late...

Ginny: Is everything alright?

Sweety: Yes Yes...

Lucky signals Sweety that it is better that they tell them.

Lucky: Kids...actually there is a small problem...

Rocky: Problem?

Sweety: [takes charge] Yes..problem. Your father is not well.

Ginny: [confused] Not well? What happened?

Sweety tells them what is wrong and about the pain. Rocky and Ginny are shocked and worried.

Sweety: Since the pain has been growing too much from yesterday, doctor has advised to do the surgery soon. It will be better for your father.

Ginny: [scared] Surgery?

Lucky: Yes...there is nothing to worry kids. It's a minor one and common one.

Rocky: [worried] When you have to...

Lucky: In 2 days.

Rocky: Why didn't you tell us before? You were acting as if all was fine.

Sweety: We did not want to worry you...

Ginny: But this is not fair. We keep telling our problems to you...but you don't tell us?

Rocky: You don't think we can handle..

Lucky: Enough Enough! It was my decision not to tell...I thought I will be able to manage for a few weeks and complete your admission works. I wanted to tell after that...

Rocky: You think my admissions is important to me than your health?  

Sweety: Your father knows you will not focus on your admissions if you knew about him.

Ginny: But...

Lucky: Kids! Listen! I am sorry I did not tell you before. But now you people know...so...Everything is fine. I will have my surgery after 2 days...[looks at Rocky] We can complete your admission tomorrow. [pauses] I am tired now..I will take rest and come down later. [leaves]

Ginny: Ma...there is nothing serious right? Tell the truth...

Sweety: [calm] I hope there is nothing serious. Doctor said it is a common problem but your father is experiencing more pain than usual..so...[pauses] I will go to prepare dinner. [leaves]

Rocky and Ginny looks at the reports and bills. They stand there thinking.

Lucky has gone to sleep and does not come down for dinner. Sweety decides to take food to his room. Rocky and Ginny decides to join her. Sweety wakes Lucky up and asks him to have food. He sees Rocky and Ginny and smiles.

Lucky: With everyone in the room...I feel like a patient. [laughs]

Ginny: [annoyed] Why? We cannot come to your room and sit with you?

Lucky: [smiles] I never said that...I feel happy that both of you are here...

Rocky: Uhmm...Dad...Is it paining now? I mean..

Lucky: [looks at the food sadly] Not much...I need to take the pain killer constantly...

Sweety: Luckyji! You can answer as you eat your food.

Rocky and Ginny looks at their father. They have never seen him so weak. They realise he has been looking weak and tired for the past few days too, but they never thought it was anything serious. Lucky completes his dinner. Sweety and Ginny leave.

Rocky: Dad!

Lucky: Hmm..

Rocky: Dad! Actually...I realised...[pauses] I don't want to enter through management quota.

Lucky: [surprised] But why?

Rocky: I don't know...but I don't feel good.

Lucky: [confused] What? But it is your dream...

Rocky: Which I should fulfil myself...not burden you with it. I saw the bills...

Lucky: [understands] Listen Rocky! There is nothing called burden when it comes to children. I have no problem spending for your education.

Rocky: What about others whose parents cannot afford? They too have their dreams right?

Lucky: That's true..but..

Rocky: Since they cannot afford...they go for other options. Gokul's parents cannot afford so he is taking another course. [pauses] I want to study something that I deserve. But now that I have failed..I don't deserve...

Lucky: Rocky! This is not failure. You have got a good score. You are just getting rejected in one college for a particular course.

Rocky: Isn't that failure?

Lucky: Failure is when you give up.

Rocky is surprised at this thought. He understands it and realises he has not failed. He has scored high marks. If he is rejected in one college does not mean he will be rejected in every other college.

Lucky: I understand your dream Rocky. It is difficult to accept the fact that you cannot live your dream...but you can change your dream at will right? If not this...something else..

Rocky: [thinks] That's true. You are right...I mean the college rejects me saying I don't deserve that seat...They are right..I don't have the marks...so I will get into another college and course which I deserve...I will be satisfied also. [stops] But Dad...I just cannot forget my dream...it is not easy to change it quickly...I mean...I...[looks away]

Lucky: [smiles] But why not management quota beta? You were very excited before? Don't worry about money..I am ready...

Rocky: I know you are...Dad. But I don't think it is the right way...at least for me...[disappointed] I will wait for counselling and choose another college...

Lucky: Are you sure?

Rocky: Yes Dad. I have decided. [smiles]

Lucky: I am very proud of you beta.

Rocky: Thanks Dad! Sorry...I am stressing you with my problem...You take rest. I'll go now.

Lucky smiles at his son. He is happy to see his maturity and concern for him.  

Ginny is in the kitchen helping Sweety.

Ginny: Ma..I will go for coaching classes from tomorrow.

Sweety: [surprised] But you didn't want to..now..

Ginny: We have paid the fees for the batch so...

Sweety: Ginny...[smiles] Your father said it is fine and not to care about fees. If you are not comfortable...then don't go. We will look for some other tuition teacher.

Ginny: No Ma...I was the one who asked to join me in this batch. I will continue no matter I like it or not. I don't want to waste money..

Sweety: Why are you speaking about money here? It doesn't matter...

Ginny: I saw the bills Ma..so much has been spent on tests and above that I had asked you to pay for my batch for no reason and then backing out now. It is not right.

Sweety: [calmly] Ginny beta...If you are ready to manage yourself in the weakest batch and prove yourself, then you can go. Don't bother about money...it will come and go..we spend so much on unnecessary things...so this is fine..

Ginny: But I feel so bad...

Sweety: There is nothing to feel bad..You just focus on your studies. Your father said he will speak with the coaching class guys and stop this differentiating of students.

Ginny: Ma..I promise I will study hard. As much as I can. I will try to go for classes for few more days and see...but...

Sweety: You focus on studies alone beta...results will automatically come. There is no pressure on you...I will be happy with whatever marks you get. But you have to put all your efforts. Ok?

Ginny: Thanks a lot Ma..Love you.

In the night, Sweety gives medicines to Lucky. Lucky is beaming.

Sweety: What happened ji? You look so happy. [has her medicines]

Lucky: Why not? I am so happy seeing our kids behaving so matured.

Sweety: [sits down] Very true. I was worried how they will react. But...[smiles] we have done a good job..

Lucky: Hmm..Rocky has opted for counselling now..Not sure to be happy or sad. He is still confused.

Sweety: I want him to be happy with whatever decision he takes. Same with Ginny.

Lucky: Hmm..Let's see. I will finish off some work in office tomorrow and may be go to the hospital for surgery in the evening?

Sweety: [annoyed] You are saying as if we are going for shopping.

Lucky: What else to do Sweetyji? Honestly, I am as scared as you are...I have never undergone any surgery before..So...But I hate this pain..so will do anything to get rid of it..[winks]

Sweety: [sad smile] Hmm...I understand what you are going through Luckyji...but this is something which cannot be shared like happiness or sorrows right?

Lucky: [nods head] Yeah...[pauses] Let's not think too much...scares me more..[nervous laugh]

Sweety: [looks at Lucky] It's great to see you strong like this...

Lucky: [smiles] I have to be...No other option...

Next morning, all are having breakfast. Lucky remembers what Sweety told about Ginny.

Lucky: Ginny! Your mother said you want to take singing as your career?

Sweety gives a scary look to Lucky. Ginny has just changed her mind to focus on her studies and now he is confusing her again.  

Ginny: Yeah Daddyji! That's my dream..I have decided that I will be a singer in the future. [casually] So...I get marks or not doesn't matter...

Lucky looks at Sweety and she looks at him angrily. Lucky understands he has messed up something.

Lucky: But Ginny! Don't you think studies are important too. I mean whatever career you choose, you need to complete your schooling first and then college.

Ginny: Of course I will complete my schooling. I will work hard as much as I can...but I don't care about results. Even Ma said she won't pressurize me and will be happy with whatever the result is.

Sweety: But I..

Lucky: [cuts in] Oh good! That's nice. Hmm..Ok...Uhmm...you continue working hard on your studies now. When you get high marks, I will join you in the best music school in the city, next year itself. You can go to both schools then.

Ginny: [excited] Really Daddyji? Music school?

Lucky: [smiles] Yes...But you should get good marks...then only I will believe you can handle both...

Ginny: Of course...Thank You Daddyji! I love you...It's getting late for school...Bye everyone..[leaves happily]

Lucky signals Sweety to calm down now and they can discuss later. He gets up to go to office.

Rocky: Dad! Can I also come? I am bored at home..

Rocky wants to help his Dad in his work especially when he is not well. He also wants to divert his mind from his admissions.

Lucky: [surprised] But you were going to your friend's house right?

Rocky: Yeah...but I thought...being with you will be lot more fun..[winks] You are the cool dad na..[laughs]

Lucky: Ya..Ya..Cool!!! Ok..Come along...Sweetyji! We will be back for lunch. [both leave]

Sweety packs things for her and Lucky as they have to stay back in the hospital from tonights. She had spoken with the doctor and he had asked them to get admitted today and they can have the surgery tomorrow. The door bell rings and Sweety opens. Rocky and Lucky enter talking seriously.

Rocky: But how will you trust the builder if he is new to the market?

Lucky: That's tricky. You have to do background checks...spend time speaking with him to know about the person before you sign any deal.

Rocky: Very interesting Dad. [looks at Sweety] I am very hungry...Lunch is ready?

Sweety: Yeah...Come...Luckyji! I spoke with the doctor. We need to be there at the hospital by 5.00pm.

Lucky: Done!

Ginny enters and sits exhausted.

Lucky: How was your test today?

Ginny: Not bad!

Sweety: Freshen up and come. Have your lunch.

Rocky: So you will be staying in the hospital tonight?

Sweety: Yeah...I will make dinner and...

Ginny: Ma..don't worry I will take care..We will also come to the hospital...

Sweety: But..

Rocky: Of course...We will come..How can you...

Lucky signals Sweety to handle and leaves upstairs.

Sweety: I have called your Nanu...he will stay with you both in the night.

Rocky: How many days you have to be there?

Sweety: Doctor said if all goes well...he can be discharged the next day itself.

Phone rings. Sweety asks them to have lunch and goes to take the call.

Lucky is admitted in the hospital in the evening. Nanu and kids are also present. They spend time with him till the night and leaves. Lucky feels nervous. Sweety consoles him saying everything will go on fine. There is nothing to worry about. Lucky is unable to sleep, so does Sweety. Next morning, doctors comes and goes by procedures. Nanu and kids come. Ginny has taken off from school. Lucky is taken to the OP theatre. They pray as the surgery starts. After about an hour, the doctor informs them that everything went on well and there are no complications. Everyone are happy. Lucky is brought to the room. He is still under medication, so he is not able to speak. All are relieved. Kids and Nanu go back home. Sweety takes care of Lucky. Lucky slowly gets back to senses. He could feel the pain of the operation. Doctors come for another check up. They feel everything is fine and he can get discharged the next day by noon. Lucky slowly gets strength back in the day though he feels a lot uncomfortable. Sweety helps him to walk. Lucky feels better.

Next day morning, Rocky comes with Nanu. Ginny has gone to school. Nanu stays with Lucky as Sweety and Rocky settles all bills. They all then get back home. Lucky goes to rest. Rocky goes to drop Nanu home. Sweety is relieved that all went well and everything is fine now. Her next problem is to keep Lucky resting. She is sure it is going to be difficult to keep him off from office. She goes to take rest for some time.  

Ginny comes home in the evening after coaching class. She goes directly to Lucky's room and sees him reading newspaper. Lucky is happy seeing Ginny. She hugs him.

Ginny: How are you Daddyji?

Lucky: [smiles] Perfect! How did the classes go?

Ginny: Ok...Not bad! I am getting used to this weak section thing.

Lucky: [realises] Oh..I am so sorry beta...I thought of coming and speaking...

Ginny: It is fine Daddyji...you take care of your health first...Had your medicines?

Lucky: Is there a possibility to miss it with your mother around? [laughs]

Ginny: [serious] Is the surgery still hurting you Daddyji?

Lucky: Yeah...but it is ok...with good rest..I will be up running soon...[winks]

Ginny: You will not go to office and all...you will take complete rest...you know how much I was scared.

Lucky: [hugs again] Now..everything is fine...I am happy that you were there with me at that time. [pauses] Ok..go now..freshen up and have something to eat...you will be tired.

Ginny: Yeah...and my exams are coming in a week...So have to start preparing..[sad face]

Lucky: But you just had tests?

Ginny: I am having tests literally everyday...but this is term-exams...I should get at least fair marks..Anyways..Take care...I will come later...

Lucky is surprised to see his daughter taking her exams seriously. He is happy. 

Great to see Rocky caring for the matters at home, and also having the self respect to go forward with what he deserves, and what he has bagged on his own merit. Ginny is now being nonchalant towards studies, and looks like Lucky's talk backfired. πŸ˜†

Kid's worries and tension surrounding surgery were well depicted. Although the surgery part felt a little rushed, but I figure it's not an important part of your plot.

Good to see you are giving importance to all the members of the family, and also to their interactions with each other. But I feel as if Ginny Rocky convos are missing?

All in all, great going. πŸ‘πŸΌ
Originally posted by Freethinker112

Great to see Rocky caring for the matters at home, and also having the self respect to go forward with what he deserves, and what he has bagged on his own merit. Ginny is now being nonchalant towards studies, and looks like Lucky's talk backfired. πŸ˜†

Kid's worries and tension surrounding surgery were well depicted. Although the surgery part felt a little rushed, but I figure it's not an important part of your plot.

Good to see you are giving importance to all the members of the family, and also to their interactions with each other. But I feel as if Ginny Rocky convos are missing?

All in all, great going. πŸ‘πŸΌ

Rocky has been portrayed as too self centered which I don't find that realistic. That's why I brought in this side. And this is actually just not about the characters...but the issue and how students/kids in general have to go about it. 

Ginny...I find students who are giving board exams rather confused especially when they are not good...πŸ˜† They just wait for chances to escape from exams...

Yes..the surgery is not my plot..but the studies...and also...what happens when too many things happen at the same time...and showing the surgery part would be..I would have to include technical stuffs..which I am in no mood to research...πŸ˜†

I actually planned to have separate tracks for Ginny and Rocky here...already there are way too many conversations I have written...and including RG one will be too confusing...πŸ˜† That's why I have let LS handle both separately😊

I wish they had shown some serious studies track..especially admissions...
Yes, Rocky is a bit selfish, but still he cares for his family.

Boards are boards. Not confused, I was afarid. πŸ˜†

Yeah, that's what I thought. But you finished it in just a paragraph. πŸ˜†

Won't be confusing at all, I mean kids interact amongst themselves, much more than they do with parents.

Yes, it was as if nobody cared after giving exam and obtaining results. πŸ˜†

His caring side has not been portrayed much...his maturity was seen somewhat after leap...

It again depends...see..I have had friends who thought studies weren't important as they had their father's business or some other talent like sports which could get them up in their life...Ginny here thinks since singing is what she wants to pursue there is no need to get very high marks in her boards

What else can I write yar...whenever surgery goes on...people pray...and remain silent in thoughts...I did not want to show Sweetyji emotionally praying...Nanu and kids walking around in the corridor..something like that...I mentioned the problem was not very serious...and hence I jumped it..πŸ˜†

Yes..Kids can interact...but they both are busy with their own problems...and probably don't even have time for each other...but as I said..my focus was on LS on R and G...but yes..I have written small part where Rocky talks about Ginny (I have completed writing the storyπŸ˜†)

Its been more than 2 months after Rocky's JEE results..πŸ˜† They just don't care...πŸ˜†
Originally posted by Shwets1502

@FT

A question regarding admission procedures in the north...
Is there a common exam for all engineering colleges? Or every college has their own exams?

It's nearly the same in whole India.

IITs take in students from JEE Advance, earlier it was known as IIT-JEE.

NITs and other centrally funded government colleges take admission from JEE Mains, earlier known as AIEEE.

Then you have state government colleges which take admission from entrances conducted by state.

Finally you have private colleges. Big ones take their own entrance test, like SRM, VIT, etc. While others admit through JEE Mains marks or their respective state entrance.
Ok.Got it😊

But admissions in Tamil Nadu is different...its based on 12th board exam marks..there are no state entrance exams...that's why I asked...

Again...I am not actually going technical in the story...keeping it simple..Rocky does not have the needed score...that's all..πŸ˜†