Comedy Nights with Kapil

Not open to doing adult comedies: Sunil Grover

Proud-India thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 years ago

Sunil GroverMore Pics

Stand-up comedian Sunil Grover, who is currently entertaining viewers with his comic skills in Colors' Comedy Nights with Kapil, says that TV is not the best medium for below the belt jokes and he's not open to doing adult comedies.

"TV is watched with family and sometimes there is no choice in what you are watching. TV is a medium which reaches villages, small towns, cities and it has a lot of restrictions. So when TV has such a great reach you have to behave responsibly. Our culture is such that it doesn't permit watching double meaning concepts with family, it creates awkward situation for everyone," asserts the talented actor.

Sunil, who has tried hands at various things from hosting shows like Hans Baliye, Dekh Video Dekh to acting in India's first silent comedy Gutur Gu feels though the Indian audience has started opening up to adult comedies, he still has some reservations and is not open to doing adult comedies, "I am not in support of below the belt jokes and adult comedies on TV especially. Though people have started opening up and accepted few such contents, I am not sure if I will do it. Society is also changing like earlier words like 'sexy' was not used to compliment a girl but now it's ok. I prefer if such content is handled smartly and ethics are intact. There is a very thin line between vulgarity and sensuality. Similarly, if below the belt jokes are handled smartly without letting them being vulgar, I am happy doing it."

Ask him if there is a market for adult comedies in India, he says, "There has always been a market for double meaning content. Dada Kondke's films had double meaning dialogues. In small town men talk dirty and every year we have various C grade movies made which do good business. Western countries have been doing it and the trend is slowly picking up in India as well," concludes Sunil Grover

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rani-lucki thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
thanks for sharing the article

i like the way sunil thinks
SaiKaPyar thumbnail
I like this article and what Sunil has said so openly about two meaming adult comedy in India... 👍🏼
Amit.Ghangas thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
the show is according to demand of time.
_G1234_ thumbnail
I agree what he said in the interview.

Tfs.
rubysk thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Tfs.. He is extremely very talented actor...