Take 5: Ek Baar Phir - We DIDN'T DO IT!!!-DT NOTE-PG-8**

Posted: 10 years ago

There is a new song making the rounds these days, and it goes something like this...

We Didn't Choose The Title πŸ˜•
It was always Star Plus, πŸ˜• πŸ˜•
So please don't curse us.   

We didn't Choose the Title πŸ˜•
We were shackled to it, πŸ˜• πŸ˜•
So we tried to woo it.   

If you hear echoes of an old Billy Joel song (We Didn't Start The Fire) in the lines above, don't shake your heads at the obvious plagiarism. Word is - Billy bitwa himself modified his legendary song at the ess-pecial request of the hapless cast and crew of Ek Baar Phir (EBP), who now have this little ditty saved as their ring tones. 

Every time an irate IPKKND fan calls them to abuse their future unborn offspring - it goes straight to music and voicemail.  

EBP team - my sympathies. But there is something you gotta understand. 

The vast IPK fandom is a tad...over-enthusiastic.  Especially when the prescription medication (street name Ismailvegamze) wears off. Then the fandom goes on a rampage, and woe betide anything that gets caught in the crossfire.  Unfortunately, SP tied you to the post like the proverbial sacrificial goatwa - and then practically invited the wolves to go hunting.  

But enough of that.

Fast forward to today, when the new show debuts with Secret Service protection and special encryption - the likes of which are unheard of in desi TV history.  

For instance, out of an abundance of caution - Star has announced is that the audience will be required to undergo a CAT scan before they are allowed to watch. The slightest knowledge of IPKKND (the original) in your brain - and you're automatically ejected from your couch in front of the TV by virtue of a thorn poking into your derriere. 

But Take 5 has managed to secure special passes to the opening act - and is being posted today from the hidden location called Agnihotri Mansion. So phront phront seeing bhat bhat happening. 

Drumroll please! πŸ₯³  πŸ₯³ And please to welcome... 

1. ...Mr. Shlok Agnihotri. I'm a surly, badass, Ferrari owning business tycoon who for once (all hail the nayi soch) doesn't have Daddy issues. But wait! I'm a misogynist! Don't ask why just yet - I was probably dropped on the head as a baby by my mother, who was (AHA!) a FEMALE. 

Now that I'm all grown up and wise - women have the same value in my life as head lice. Or maybe leeches. You get the general idea.

Basically, women are bloodsucking parasites who have zero value in human evolution - at least, as soon as MAN figures out how to incubate babies in labs,  and separate whites from colors while doing laundry.

And if you still want to know more about me, I have more money than God, Gates and Buffett - but can't spare a dime to go buy a razor, or get a decent haircut.  πŸ˜•

I'm told my female fans dig this look - but I don't give a damn, because...(see underlined above). I also drive my Ferrari on traffic choked Indian roads, while praying that the bhaji wala doesn't scrape his thela against the expensive paintwork. 

But enough about me. Let's check out the other half of this equation, who goes by the moniker of...

2. ...Ms. Aastha Kirloskar. Hey y'all!!!  πŸ€—  πŸ€— Isn't it an absolutely gorgeous, lovely day today? πŸ€—  πŸ€— 

Group hug, anyone? πŸ€—  πŸ€— 

You wanna know more about me? πŸ˜³ isn't that just, like, totally PRECIOUS? πŸ€—  I'm chirpy and bubbly and perpetually overdosed on Prozac...at least as long as this show lasts. I also lie like a bandit, coz I'm the complete antithesis of surly, badass Agnihotris who live in refurbished mansions with all-male staff. 

Why all-male staff? Because...you guessed it. (see underlined above)

Setting aside the chirpiness for just a heartbeat - I'd like to point out that unlike my male counterpart - I'm all for gender equality, and I DON'T hate men. In fact - I rely on them (as do all smart women) for vaahan-rakh-rakhaav and large insect disposal.  πŸ˜ˆ

Sliding back into character. Group hug, anyone? πŸ€—  πŸ€— 

3. Act 1- Men are from Mars, women are from...someplace else. 
Cut to lead bitwa - doing his morning rituals of running up a hill, completing mandatory opening scene flashback (at least this one doesn't involve Maa...) and being rude to Mom when she does call. Flash over to lead bitiya - who seems to like precisely the kind of song that would make ME reach for a machete. πŸ˜‘

A few quick lies to her Matron - and bitiya is all set for a supposed holy pilgrimage with her band of co-conspirators, while bitwa has just barbecued the future of a young girl who is caught cheating. Yeah yeah...we get the point already πŸ€“. (see underlined above)

4. Liar Liar, pants on fire
Bitiya steals passes for a concert that were meant for bitwa's guests. And he is pissed. So he grabs her by the wrist  and manhandles her (Star Plus and random-PH-whose-name-I-can't recall - don't you EVER get tired of this? πŸ˜‘)

Bitwa and bitiya proceed to establish their extreme dislike for each other by insulting the other's ancestors and future progeny, and set the stage for next meeting - all while swearing that they will never see each other's face again.

Um, yeah.  Not gonna happen. The name itself suggests otherwise - bachchas.  Ek Baar Phir. 

5. And there you have it. 

For everyone who is watching EBP without any knowledge of ongoing satyanash (what, have you been hiding under a rock? πŸ˜²) - bhelcomes to SP's latest offering in the my-lead-couple-is-better-than-your-lead-couple channel wars.  These disputes have big stakes, and entire pension funds depend on the outcome of who gets more OMG-I'll-die-if-I-don't-meet-him/her fan mail.

So Star Plus and EBP - we'll set aside the farak padta hai, and wish you well,  but this is a HUGE footprint that you've deliberately chosen to step into. πŸ€”

May your feet grow to match.

If they don't - I hope you at least have the wisdom to recognize that, and change the name appropriately. Coz in this cut-throat duniya of ratings - the original show's mega-success hangs around your neck like a millstone. 

As SOMEONE wisely stated almost exactly a year ago - Devi Maiiya ke aashirwaad ke bina kuch nahin ho sakta. So some    might not be a bad idea? 

And finally - a word of advice, bilkul phree.

Confucius say - please to not poke sleeping tiger in eye. Especially not when tiger already enraged that IPKKND reruns are only being shown in phaaren (foreign) desh.

Samjhe, Star Plus? πŸ˜‰

A couple of PS's: 

1. If you know me - you already know I don't care whether you praise or bash. Be it show, actor or character - call it like you see it. However, since we're in the EBP forum and not IPKKND forum today - there be just ONE rule of etiquette. 

Please to refrain from COMPARING Hercules and the Newborn (IPKKND and EBP). Keep your post related to EBP wonly.

For as another SOMEONE so memorably pointed out - "COZ YOU SIMPLY CAN'T. " πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰

2. I want to thank the moderators for being courteous and responsive - and reopening this thread. I've also made some edits to the original Take 5 at the request of the moderators.

Beyond that - let the chips for EBP fall where they may πŸ˜‰
Edited by -Jamba- - 10 years ago
Jambaji, Tussi great ho. I am yet to watch the show. But watch I will and come back to join the fun.

PS:- Who the hell puts new programs at 6PM - especially when house wives would be multi-tasking 100 jobs at kitchen and career women would be praying the boss doesn't ask you to do a time over or something doesn't pop up at the end of the day. Bad programming decision SP, especially if you are aiming this Ek Baar Phir dessert for the housewives and the women in general,but when has SP ever done any correct decisions.

Edited

- So the male lead has a history behind his hate for women in general. Well seems like it is either a love affair gone bad or Dad marrying another girl. Didn't we see this angle earlier

- The male lead has a history of trying to win everything. He doesn't even like the sun beating him in the race. Well well, huge ego is already in place.

- The Ferrari actually looked like a 'rafter in red'(courtesy meens). I do wonder how many people in India would recognize a Ferrari in the scenes they showed today.

- Avinash is trying to hard to fit in - He is even mumbling his dialogues. Sorry bitwa, that was good only on someone and there also believe me, we had lot of complaints.

- Female lead is trying too hard to be a goody two shoes. She seems to be uttering 'Bappa' whenever she lies. Didn't we see this angle also earlier -with something going on as 'Hey Devi Maiyya Raksha karna'

- The conflict between the leads happens due to a misunderstanding in a children's dance program.

- Hated the BG of  'oh oh oh' - Sometimes it is better to have instrumental tune for the background. Pity the only thing the creatives tried to do original ended up so bad.

- Hated the confrontation. There was no pull in the scene. Seems like both were sleep walking the part.

And SP really needs to remember these few things

- Hated the way Shlok drags Aastha in front of everyone and no one said anything. You are not setting a good example especially when women in India are being exploited and sexually harassed.

- Who the hell loses crores of business just because some delegates couldn't make it to a children's dance program. I could understand if Shlok misses out a tender submission or something like that. Give a good reason as to why Shlok lost the business.

- Aage Aage we will see.
Edited by psarada - 10 years ago
Lagat hai...sirf looking hi nahi but cooking bhi shame to shame?πŸ˜‰

Maybe SP should know...hum jeete ek baar hai, marte ek baar hai aur pyaar bhi sirf ek baar hota hai...not ek baar phir...πŸ˜†...and pyaar to hum already kar chuke hain...baar baar nahin hoga...koi bhi naam do...πŸ˜› Hamein Farak nahi padtaπŸ˜›

J  as for your caveat about no comparisons...thank god for that and the forum rules...but for no other reason other than purely in the interest of non-violence and ahimsaπŸ˜†...else SP themselves have poked the sleeping tiger and invited comparisons with the name...so no one can go blaming anyone about comparisons...not that there can be any comparison at all...some things are incomparable...πŸ˜‰

As for take 5...lau wonly...not just ek baar phir but baar baar...hamesha...πŸ€—

πŸ‘
Edited by soapsuds - 10 years ago
SP should really enroll the writers of this show in thier junior master chef program-  to learn how to rework a dish without letting people know!
So a hero with a troubled past- check
bubbly good natured heroine - check
 helicopter entry- check 
fashion show - check
disastrous first encounter - check

Am I back in June 2011? 
Thankfully there is a new title track ! Thank DM for small mercies!

I am still laughing clutching my stomach..Well done JambaπŸ‘hilarious take 5 ..each of your take 5s are more better than the previous ones..will u be posting daily take 5s??will love reading them.😊.
Reswa...Ek baar Phir !πŸ˜‰

A note to those who coined "Nayi Soch" :
"Phir Nahi Bastay Dil Jo Ek Baar Ujar Jatay Hain,
 Qabrein Jitni Bhi Sanwaro Wahan Ronaq Nahi Hoti...!!! "

Edited by Hriju321 - 10 years ago
Yeh hui na baat! πŸ‘
Chalo, trespassing did some good. At least found this to indulge in.
Dunno whether it the unfamiliar music or the copy-cat factor, ladka was πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ, while ladki was πŸ€”
During the first face off, thank GOD they did not do aage-peeche dance. But rest was there - wrist grabbings, get-losts, I-will-never-see-ur-sorry-face-agains ... Ek baar phir indeed. πŸ˜‘

PS. Oh i forgot. add to the list the Bangle-breaking and Rakshas-ho-tum-rakshas. πŸ˜‘ πŸ˜‘
Edited by aruni50218 - 10 years ago
Awesome post!
I am laughing my heads off here 🀣 🀣
Simply brilliant!
Kudos Jamba Tussi Great Ho πŸ˜†
Take a bow!πŸ‘
To watch or not to watch after the howlarious inaugural Take 5 is the question πŸ˜‰ J aur snark hamesha, loved it β­οΈ

Brilliant, Really enjoyed your post! Can't stop laughing... 🀣🀣

Your 1300+ worded post has more creativity than the show that has been in preparation for the past 8 months.