TOI: Bhanu Athaiya designs the look for Mahabharat

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 10 years ago
Bhanu Athaiya designs the look for Mahabharat
TNN | Sep 2, 2013, 05.47 PM IST

Bhanu Athaiya designs the look for Mahabharat

Reprising characters of an epic on the small screen could be a difficult task and who would understand this better than the makers of Star Plus' Mahabharat. 

To ensure that the epic does justice to the theme, producer Siddharth Kumar Tewary has roped in veteran stylist Bhanu Athaiya to design the costumes and look. 

The 85 year old Athaiya won an Oscar for her costumes in Gandhi and is an apt guide for the epic. The woman that lives a modest life brings to life ideas that depict grandeur, wonder and beauty. The veteran designer is a consulting faculty for Star Plus' mythological sagaMahabharat and joining her on this show will be Nidhi Yasha. The epic which has taken 4 years of pre-production is geared up to bring out a magnificent treat for the viewers. 

Talking about her association with Mahabharat, Bhanu Athaiya said, "I'm really delighted to be a part of such a huge TV venture. The entire look of Star Plus' Mahabharat will revive Indian handicrafts and traditional weaves. Different ancient techniques have been used to achieve the various looks. A lot of bright colored silks, hand-looms, gold and jewelry structured embroidery patterns have been used. My team and I were very meticulous about every detail to remain true to the character. We have worked hard on designing this show and I'm sure our effort will translate beautifully to the audiences." 

Designer Nidhi Yasha, who has worked on several other mythology shows, said, "It took a study of over 450 books related to period textiles, costume and jewelry and four years of hard-work to arrive at the current look and feel of the show. An extensive study on jewelry structures according to ethnicity, fabrics, drapes and costume was undertaken. There was always so much to learn, experiment, explore as the subject of Mahabharat is exhaustive and designing characters summing up to over 100 was challenging but very rewarding." 

Tune-in to watch Mahabharat from September 16th 2013 at 8:30 pm only on Star Plus.
Edited by A-A-S - 10 years ago
thanks for sharing,really exciting to see Sameer D in mytho shows
thanks for sharing.  16th septemer can't come quick enough, eagerly waiting for King Shantanu
Originally posted by water_deepa

thanks for sharing,really exciting to see Sameer D in mytho shows

Deepa, have you seen Creative Eye's mythological show Shree Ganesh? (Creative Eye is the same production house who made Om Namah Shivay.) 

Sameer was in Shree Ganesh and he played the role of Devraj Indra!

Edited by A-A-S - 10 years ago
Originally posted by A-A-S

Deepa, have you seen Creative Eye's mythological show Shree Ganesh? (Creative Eye is the same production house who made Om Namah Shivay.) 

Sameer was in Shree Ganesh and he played the role of Devraj Indra!

Nope dear
may be i missed ,πŸ˜•wow nice to know this thank for the information dearπŸ˜›
is it available in online?
Tfs dear...these articles r making me more impatient πŸ˜” kab aayega mera Arjun πŸ˜”
Great reading . good to know that so much research has gone behind the production of this epic. Eagerly looking forward to seeing on screen costumes designed by Bhanu Athaiya