Indian Idol Junior

Interview of DEBANJANA - Must read.

Proud-India thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 years ago

Amitabh Bachchan said I have a bright future: Debanjana of Indian Idol Junior

Amitabh Bachchan said I have a bright future: Debanjana of Indian Idol Junior
Debanjana Karmakar

Fourteen-year-old Midnapore girl, Debanjana Karmakar, who reached the top four of Indian Idol Junior owing to her Nightingale-like voice, is raring to grow up so that she can playback for the celebs. She talks to CT about Deepika Padukone, Vidya Balan and Sonakshi Sinha asking her to playback for them, her trademark braids and being selected as the best performer for four consecutive weeks by judges Shreya Ghoshal, and Vishal-Shekhar. She has earlier participated in shows like Sa Re Ga Ma Pa and Chhote Ustaad.

Any regrets on not making it to the finals?
I am too happy that I reached top 4. It's a big thing and is special to me. I learnt a lot till the end. Eita amar jonno anander kotha. I had a positive mindset. Even when I have not won the contest, I am not sad because I have learnt a lot and improved as a singer. Earlier, when the show got over, I was happy that now I am free and there is no tension, but now I feel bored and miss the Indian Idol stage, the judges and friends.

Tell us about your journey to Indian Idol Junior?
The journey was very good. Since I was two years old, I have been training with my dad, who is a classical music teacher. Then, when I was 5.5 years old, I started training under Jayanta Sarkar in Kolkata. In the audition round, I was very nervous, but then I got positive comments for my performance on Aan milo sajna, which made Shreya didi cry. I learnt something new in every episode, and my mistakes got corrected. The biggest compliment I got from the judges was that I sing perfectly. Earlier, I could only sing classical music, now I can sing rock too. Anu Malik, who was a guest on the show, and Shekhar sir told me that I was a versatile singer. After that, I grew very confident. The hard work and riyaaz helped and I learnt a lot of new songs.

How has life changed after Indian Idol?
I have become a celebrity! I was in a shopping mall the other day and after every two steps, people would come for autographs and photographs. My parents and I were very happy seeing this. I am getting a lot of offers for live shows now.

Tell us about your experience of meeting the many celebs...
I met Amitabh Bachchan, Sonakshi Sinha, Ranveer Singh, Farhan Akhtar, Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone, Priyanka Chopra, Ram Charan Teja, Shahid Kapoor and many others. I was very excited when SRK was supposed to come, and a little nervous too. But then they were all so jolly and friendly. I enjoyed a lot with them. They never made us feel any less.

What was the best compliment you got?
Amitabh Bachchan even told me backstage that I have a very bright future, while Shekhar sir told me I was the only contestant who was ready for playback. Priyanka Chopra too praised me a lot.

Deepika Padukone, Sonakshi Sinha, Vidya Balan and even Shah Rukh Khan asked you to sing for them while Rohit Shetty has offered you a film. Feelings.
I am liking it that so many big celebrities want me to sing for them. I want to grow up so that my voice suits them.

When do you practice? How do you make time for school?
My teachers and principal are very supportive. They have promised me help. I couldn't study for some months, but I will cover that now. I took my books to Mumbai, but I didn't get time as we were busy in rehearsals almost the whole day.

What are your future plans?
I want to become a playback singer, but before that I want to learn classical music properly. I also want to teach music in the future.

Who are your inspirations?
My mom, dad, Lata Mangeshkar and Shreyadi.

Are your parents supportive?
My parents are very supportive. I was very small when my parents trained me in music. Everybody in my family sings. My sister also teaches music.

Whom did you consider your biggest competitors?
Ek ek din, ek ek jon bhalo gaito . I really liked Anmol Jaswal's singing.

Who among the judges were your favourite?
All three were nice, but Shreya didi ke sath mera zyada jamta tha.

Which of your performance was your personal favourite?
Many songs, out of which is Rasmein ulfat.

Lastly, who ties your hair into those trademark braids?
My mother

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sanjana_D3 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
TFS

So many things that i did not know about her were mentioned in this :)
Dee-jay thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I have nothing against this girl. she has such sweet voice
but it seems like they were expecting her to be the winner
or she must have come 1st runner up
sugufan thumbnail
I could not connect to voice of debanjana. She was singing good most of the time but what about soul of song?
In my opinion, sugandha date could be runner up.
My all good wishes are with Sugandha Date and the best the best the best Anjana Padamnabhan.
AurTu thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
TFS😳All the best for your future!