Book Talk

When you got lost inside a book...

zephyr29 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago

Have you ever read a book where you got so lost in it that you had to be roused back by someone or when you did come back to reality you had a feeling of being disoriented.

What has been your literal "Lost in a book" moment?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bookworm-ALS-- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Lots. The most visceral experience though was when I was reading about Fred Weasley's death in Deathly Hallows- I was literally staring at the book, consumed with shock and disbelief- and I didn't answer lots of repeated calls from my family who were calling me for dinner. in the end, my sister came and snatched it off.
zephyr29 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: bookworm-ALS--

Lots. The most visceral experience though was when I was reading about Fred Weasley's death in Deathly Hallows- I was literally staring at the book, consumed with shock and disbelief- and I didn't answer lots of repeated calls from my family who were calling me for dinner. in the end, my sister came and snatched it off.

I agree. Fred Weasley's death was just utterly shocking and totally unexpected. Even now I have difficulty believing he actually died. 
theloupgaroux thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

I personally get very involved in books. Sometimes when I read, depending on how much I like the book, I don't realize someone's been calling my name until it goes quiet and everyone's looking at me. I feel like the entire world has gone away and all that exists is the characters on the page and their story. And if the book doesn't end the way I expected/wanted/or should have, I get upset, yeah, and *sometimes* I rant, especially if the book or characters deserved a better ending. I hope that's the kind of thing I'm sure you're talking about.
zephyr29 thumbnail
For me it always depends on the book.
I don't recall people having to rouse me from a book, but there have been many books that I have felt a bit disoriented on coming back to reality. A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth and The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell are 2 such books I can think of now.

I feel it most when it comes to historical fiction books when I just get sucked into that time period and way of life. There's always a sense of loss when such books end.
Angel-luvs-s thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Well all bookworms have this problem...my family and friends say that I will faint if I keep reading like that yet I can't help myself...getting lost in a book is an altogether different experience, almost surreal... I get lost in any book I find interesting ,most recently the storyteller by jodi picoult
BrunoMars thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
A lot! And I love that. I really am blown away when something like that happens. Though, the book really needs to be brilliant.
Gayathri_MSK thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Yup Lot many times... Specially while travelling..😊
Cant mention a specific book.. but every good read
jason-derulo thumbnail
way more often than not ! 
specially when there's a ---- ' we waited so long for this ' - sex scene ðŸ˜›

also when the story just wont stay in place and twists 
SatyarthNayak thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Last chapters of most Agatha Christies where the killer is unmasked...