Book Talk

When you got lost inside a book... - Page 3

zephyr29 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago
This content was originally posted by: Angel-likeDevil

Yes, many times. This happens always while reading any novel, unless it's too boring or just not good enough. But it's the after effects that scare me sometimes.

Usually, novel simply hovers around our mind, that's normal. But sometimes, it overpowers our mind and, it feels as though we're obsessed with what we've read. I somewhat hate it when I go off-course from reality and feel lost after having completed a book. I do get deeply engrossed and there'll be times when I dream about the characters in my sleep, when I'm reminded of the characters in daily life... I sometimes have hard time dealing with these after effects, and immediately, I feel the urge to read a book which might help re-orient myself.
The most recent extreme experience was when I read Wuthering Heights, IDK why it had such an impact on my psyche, my behaviour and all was kind of altered for 3-4 days, my parents thought I was depressed with something. I couldnt explain my embarassing situation... it was a strange situation. I thought I was going mental. I also recently read Caryl Philips' Nature of Blood and Crossing the River, and the female characters in these books also had an impact on me for quite sometime..

I totally get that feeling. Some books leave you drained out emotionally and Wuthering Heights was one of those books. Towards the end of it it really felt like someone punched me in the guts and left me hollow ðŸ˜³.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SeasonOfLeaves thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Happens to me loads of times.. There have been times when I missed a stop on the tube because I was so engrossed in a book😆
First of all, it took me a long long time to get over Dumbledore's death..and also Sirius Black 
WW2 based books like The Book Thief and Sarah's Key, left me shattered and broken for days..in fact I still think about those characters!
Also, Fault in our stars, A walk to remember and Me Before you left a deep impact on me!

The list goes on actually...so I'll stop here haha😆
morning_dews thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
The book lovers n addicts would surely go into this phase...
am am included too 😆
The Kite Runner and A Walk To Remember are one among them...

sparklingeyes11 thumbnail
Actually it happens alot of times... Sometimes u tend to get so lost in the book that when it ends... u are still in that zone and can't pick another book to read. 
Happy_hippy thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Oh, it's happened to me quite a few times.. Recently when I was reading "The Stranger " by Albert Camus and currently I am reading "the picture of. Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde ...it's like m in the moment living alongside the characters in the book..😊
Swetha-Sai thumbnail
It happen to me many times when  i read books like.. Harry Potter series, God of Small things, Wuthering Heights, A walk to remember, etc.
zephyr29 thumbnail
lol looks like a scientific study was conducted to understand the phenomena of "getting lost in a book" and they have particularly used the Harry Potter series as research material ðŸ˜† Not something I agreed in fully but it was an interesting read

Happy_hippy thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: zephyr29

lol looks like a scientific study was conducted to understand the phenomena of "getting lost in a book" and they have particularly used the Harry Potter series as research material ðŸ˜† Not something I agreed in fully but it was an interesting read

Thanks for the link ! It was interesting,
, ya empathy towards a character is one thing..but sometimes the concept of the book itself overpowers the characters,, u feel drawn towards that idea...
zephyr29 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Happy_hippy

Thanks for the link ! It was interesting,
, ya empathy towards a character is one thing..but sometimes the concept of the book itself overpowers the characters,, u feel drawn towards that idea...

You're welcome ðŸ˜Š

You're right, sometimes more than the characters you end up connecting to the concept or theme of a particular book. This was what I felt while reading The Hunger Games. More than the characters it was the theme (forced participation in a televised reality game show with much higher stakes) which actually drew me in.
Happy_hippy thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: zephyr29

You're welcome ðŸ˜Š

You're right, sometimes more than the characters you end up connecting to the concept or theme of a particular book. This was what I felt while reading The Hunger Games. More than the characters it was the theme (forced participation in a televised reality game show with much higher stakes) which actually drew me in.

Yup, it's an awesome feeling, isn't it?? Getting lost in a book..btw, what are u currently reading??