UP back as a communal cauldron after 21 years - Page 2

Posted: 10 years ago
Muzaffarnagar gangrapes: No justice for these Nirbhayas

She grew up with them " the three men who ganged up to rape her. Even as she kept calling them by their first names, pleading for mercy, they continued to violate her body. Her mother, who was tied to a chair, fainted on seeing the unimaginable happening before her. Yet, after a week, when the two women approached the police, they briefed the cops about other atrocities. They did not mention rape. As if it never took place
This is the story of numerous women who were gang raped in Uttar Pradesh's Muzaffarnagar district, around 150 kilometers from the national capital, which witnessed large scale riots.

Almost three weeks after communal clashes broke in the district, reports of gangrapes are finding space in the national media. Unlike the Delhi gangrape case which caught the imagination of the country, hundreds of gangrapes during riots continue to fall through the cracks.

Almost three weeks after communal clashes broke in the district, reports of gangrapes are finding space in the national media. Unlike the Delhi gangrape case which caught the imagination of the country, hundreds of gangrapes during riots continue to fall through the cracks.

This is irrespective of the community of the victim, the region where the riot takes place and the political party ruling the state
The anatomy of rapes and riots is the same across the country. A miniscule percentage of actual rapes which take place during riots are reported to the authorities. Even lesser go to the trial stage, say activists who have closely observed patterns of gender violence in successive riots.

A major reason why gender violence during riots largely goes unreported is because it becomes one of the many crimes taking place in a tense situation, unlike an isolated case of rape where the crime takes place when the victim may be least expecting it.

Archana Dwivedi, deputy director of Nirantar, a Delhi based resource centre for gender, visited Muzaffarnagar. She says, "Women become subjects of many forms of violence during communal violence " their houses being burnt, children killed and husbands getting maimed before them. Although brutal, gangrape is one of the many forms of tortures in such clashes."

Government authorities and the police first try to bring the situation under control before taking stock of the damage done. When they reach to the victims, finally, they find that registration of FIRs related to sexual violence is not the first priority for the victims. "Very often, victims inform the authorities of other violations which they believe are more important such as loss of property and missing children. It happens, partially, because men come forward to lodge complaints," says Dwivedi.

Riots lead to displacement of victims numbering in thousands. While some never go back to their native places, others cannot afford to relocate. For many rape victims, therefore, it is the fear of once again facing the rapist in the neighbourhood which stops them from lodging complaints
"It is particularly true in cases where the victim belongs to a lower caste and the rapist is from an upper caste. Many such cases happened in Muzaffarnagar," says Vimal Thorat, Hindi language professor with Indira Gandhi National Open University, who have visited riot effected areas including Muzaffarnagar, Kandhamal and Gujarat.

For the minority " victims who can confront the men who violated them " aid reaches them too late, says Manshi Sharma, a Delhi based social activist. "By the time police begins the probe, the evidence is gone. What will the victim's medical test prove 20 or 30 days after gang rape? Unusual time gaps increase legal complexities in such cases," she says.

Others believe that in an age when it takes street protests to get justice in a gangrape case in Delhi, expecting proper follow- up of every sexual violence case during riot, sounds ambitious. "The normal wheels of justice even when you are not handicapped by your identity move very slowly for ordinary women as well. When you are of a vulnerable caste or community, your ability to access justice is considerably weakened," says Farha Naqvi, women's rights activist.

http://www.firstpost.com/india/muzaffarnagar-gangrapes-no-justice-for-these-nirbhayas-1147381.html?utm_source=ref_article

Violence leaves a trail of bitterness in jaggery market

ARUNANGSU ROY CHOWDHURY
SHARE     COMMENT      PRINT      T+  
The HinduShiv Chowk is the heart of Muzaffarnagar, where Nayee Mandi is located. It is one of the biggest jaggery markets in Western Uttar Pradesh as well as in India. Photo: Arunangsu Roy Chowdhury

"90 per cent Muslims are involved in jaggery-making and 90 per cent Hindus are traders; they are the two hands of the business in Muzaffarnagar"

Rickshawwallah Sonu pedals fast, carrying his first rider of the day to Naveen Mandi Sthal or Nayee Mandi from Shiv Chowk, the heart of Muzaffarnagar, where communal riots killed 49 people last month.

Nayee Mandi is one of the biggest jaggery markets in Western Uttar Pradesh as well as in India.

But now, other than a few lorries and a couple of pushcarts stranded here and there, the Mandi is empty. Some traders are gossiping at a corner.

Sir-ji, Log dahashat mein hain, mandi anekey liey dar paida ho gaya hai [People are in fear. They fear coming to market]," Mohammad Shakir told this correspondent. He was sitting with Choudari Fateh Singh, Anil Sharma, Pappu and others, who are all wholesalers.

"Here, 90 per cent Muslims are involved in jaggery-making and 90 per cent Hindus are traders; they are the two hands of the business. We cannot run the show separately," snaps Choudari Fateh Singh.

"In this market, people come from various castes and creeds; we have never felt any difference. But today, farmers from villages are scared of visiting the mandi. Worse, they account for the majority of the people coming here," says Shakir.

"The market was transacting business worth at least Rs.1 crore every day. It is suffering now and will continue to suffer, unless the State government punishes the real culprits who perpetrated the violence and are hiding behind the scene." This is the unanimous view of all of them.

Soon after sugar cane harvest in the district, the market will throb with life next month. But traders are afraid that there won't be many labourers for harvest this time because most of them are Muslim. What is more, daily wagers, who come from different places to earn more during the peak season, will stay away.

On other hand, life in Muzaffarnagar has returned to normal. Shops, schools and offices are open, people go about their work and security personnel mount vigil from junctions.

Kuldeep Singh, 55, is running a mobile phone repair shop at Gol Market in Shiv Chowk, a retail hub. He says the retail market depends mainly on customers from villages. The violence has resulted in an unannounced bandh' for over a month now, crippling the business there.

Viswadeep Goel, who owns Tip Top readymade garment shop at Gol Market, puts down the violence to bad politics over trivial issues. "We are just one month away from the major festive season " Navratri, Eid and Deepavali. If things are not normal by then, we all will suffer badly," he says.

Sonu leaves after a round of at least five km. When I ask what his full name is, he keeps mum.

After I pay him the fare, he salutes me and discloses that he is a Muslim, struggling to support a family of six with his earnings of Rs. 150 a day.

http://www.thehindu.http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/violence-leaves-a-trail-of-bitterness-in-jaggery-market/article5171688.ece?homepage=true

Sweet always taste sweet, it does not differ who made it.

Edited by ramjaane - 10 years ago
Originally posted by King-Anu

Interesting chain of events. This looks like a case of "raanjhana hua main tera" gone wrong.

On serious note I think BJP MLA being caught with his pants (or pajama) down could hurt Modi's chances. From what I understood from that other topic created by Ass was that he is managing economy well and pomoting himself as moderate and has dry cleaned his image.

However such incidents could hurt him. He should condemn such acts in all its shape and manifestations.

Just my take.

hey... 

yes but regardless hindus  will vote for him because of development or hindu fundamentalism..  they will never vote for cong or sp .. bjp will get minimum 175 seats , theyll find allies
Originally posted by mr.ass

hey... 

yes but regardless hindus  will vote for him because of development or hindu fundamentalism..  they will never vote for cong or sp .. bjp will get minimum 175 seats , theyll find allies

arey yaar its your country, your elections. you elect whomever you like. lol. i just read these things for knowledge. my best wishes for your efforts.

important thing is economic, security etc of both countries improve.

ok this is enough veer zara from my end. u tc.
Originally posted by ramjaane

A recipe for communal harmony

PureFlex In Jaipur - Run Applications At Lower Cost. For Rs.8,99,999. Call IBM Now. IBM.com
ASIF YAR KHAN
SHARE     COMMENT (2)      PRINT      T+  
The Hindu

Notwithstanding criticism from some quarters, Mohd. Bin Salam of Barkas has been making special laddus for the Ganesh festival for over three decades

The old city is mostly in news for the wrong reasons, more so when it comes to matters of communal harmony . Seldom does one take note of the shining examples that bridge the communal divide.

Meet Mohd. Bin Salam of Barkas, proprietor of Huma Sweet House at Chandryangutta Chowrasta. His 40-year-old shop is a popular address for laddus' during the Ganesh festival.

Come Vinayaka Chaturthi season and Salam bhai' along with his two sons, Sayeed Bin Mohd and Mohsin Bin Mohd, gets busy preparing the lip smacking laddus'. It is not a new thing for the family. In fact, they have been doing it for the last 30 years.

Why does Salam make the special laddus'? "This is my way of promoting communal harmony and goodwill," he says.

The shop is a hit with many Hindu devotees who purchase the laddus' during the 11-day festival. Right from the bigger one of 21 kg, to small ones weighing 50 grams and 100 grams, one gets laddus' of all sizes here.

Days before the Ganesh festival begins, Salam and his team get ready with their laddu' act. Decorated with dry fruits and deep fried in dollops of ghee they are really mouth-watering. The laddus' are priced at Rs. 80 a kg. At no point of time did the family think of stopping the work. "Some people talk ill about the job but we do seldom care about it. We know that we are doing no wrong and will continue with it," affirms Sayeed.http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Hyderabad/a-recipe-for-communal-harmony/article5120850.ece?homepage=true

Keywords: communal harmony, Ganesh Chaturthi, Huma Sweet House, Chandryangutta

how many of these ladoos would be sufficient for rajat rawail is what I'm thinking
 ^^^ we can imagine by unleash this baccha rajat ðŸ˜†
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KGHOtSlp94[/YOUTUBE]

Other religious communities must realize their limits and not attack Hindus time and again.
Hindus are most tolerant people otherwise other sects wont be living peacefully here..
While Hindus were tortured raped and killed mercilessly in the not so pak pakistan, Bangladesh and many Islamic countries!!
As we can all see the incident started by the rape of a Hindu woman by a Muslim man...Plus then again a provocation by a muslim youth by teasing a Hindu girl...
Then all they could do is arrest Shome ji but left out Azam Khan and other Muslim leaders...just because of their religion!!
Now they expect Hindus to support this and not fight for their rights..Seriously!!

"Love Jihad"? lol.

Is it possible that Shahrukh Khan is a closet Taliban type extremist who is waging a love Jihad in India. Then Hindu extremists then hired Hrithik Roshan to wage a counter attack to make score even. Could it be that all the movies depicting Hindu-Muslim love stories are actually part of an hidden agenda?

What a bunch of losers. lol. To feel like that in a country where you have 80 percent majority, one has to be really insecure of ownself. Since people are not that insecure, I guess the only answer that makes sense is that this is all politics.

To be fair I think this method of operation is not exclusive to Hindu extremists. Even when you dissect Taliban type mindset they use excuses like wrong doings all over the world to justify their own wrong doings.

In the end the label changes but these extremists think a like.

Thanks for those interesting articles RaamJaane

Hindus do not believe in marrying girls outside their religion to just convert them to their religion. This can be proved by the fact that people marrying Hindus do not necessarily need to change their religion but in many other sects it is sort of compulsory...so I think that answers your question...However if you see in Islam, they make the girl change their religion right?? 
That explains the populace theory I guess...Secondly I would like to say that neither SRK nor HR is the brand ambassador of any community so its unfair to judge only by seeing them. Plus they never said all,  exceptions are always there.
Well I would like to say that before calling anyone loser or something you should know that as an Indian I can safely that this is INDEED happening here...every religion is taking advantage of Hindus...
And about the 80% majority, even Indonesia and some countries were Hindu kingdoms with Hindu majority in recent history na then what happened??Some religions have a history of forceful conversions and Hindutva has a history of being tolerant..and now they want to repeat the same thing in India too...!!!

Interesting chain of events. This looks like a case of "raanjhana hua main tera" gone wrong.

On serious note I think BJP MLA being caught with his pants (or pajama) down could hurt Modi's chances. From what I understood from that other topic created by Ass was that he is managing economy well and pomoting himself as moderate and has dry cleaned his image.

However such incidents could hurt him. He should condemn such acts in all its shape and manifestations.

Just my take.
If for this thing, BJP MLA is caught pants down, then what did people like Jinnah do?? Made their entire religion naked (? acc to your POV and asking ur POV as you have said this..no offence to any sect but I m only speaking about a particular personality and  lakhs of people from the same religion who supported him) by ordering gangrape, loot, arson, murder in highest ever scale and destroying the lives of lakhs and crores of Hindus and Sikhs...yet he is considered the Father of some Nation...LOL!!
Plus it remains to be proved whether the MLA has actually committed the act or not!!!
Edited by DiehardYMfan - 10 years ago
^^ Last time when u raised an incident of eveteasing on the basis of religion ? Educated person like u seriously believe on love jihad :) Edited by ramjaane - 10 years ago