Buddha - Article Archive - Page 4

Posted: 10 years ago
10th/11th October 2013
Jaipur boy Himanshu Soni to play Buddha

Jaipur boy Himanshu Soni to play Buddha
Himanshu Soni

Who will play Buddha? That was the big question, but the TV show makers managed to keep this under wraps so far. Now, they are ready to unveil the face of Buddha with a royal launch in Sarnath (the holy place in Varanasi) today, because Buddha had a deep connect with the place.

TOI has found out that it's a young aspiring actor from Jaipur, Himanshu Soni, who has been chosen to essay the character. And he has gone through his fair share of training, grooming sessions and has also attended a 10-day vipassana programme to get under the skin of the character.

Says producer Dr BK Modi, chairman of Spice Studio, "We auditioned scores of actors, both seasoned and newcomers, but Himanshu fit the character's description like a glove. Out of the 32 characteristics of Buddha, Himanshu met 28. His down-to-earth and likable personality was key for the character's successful portrayal. We put him through training for martial arts, Tai Chi, dialogue delivery and acting to mould him into Prince Siddharth's character and he's come out polished, shining like a prince."

Himanshu is naturally excited and looking forward to his debut on TV. "It is an honour to play a character as significant and important as Buddha. I have undergone rigorous training which made it easier for me to understand the body language and depth of the character and persona of Prince Siddharth as well as his journey to becoming Buddha." 
Buddha airs every Sunday at 11 am.

Actor who was finally zeroed in to play Buddha on TV

Finding the right face and skills to fit a role is always a strenuous task

Ask the makers of a television show based on Gautam Buddha's life, who have been on the lookout for a young actor to don the Enlightened One's character on the small screen.

Himanshu Soni will feature in Buddha

The producers of the show found their Buddha in Himanshu Soni to essay the character of the grown-up prince who eventually turns into a saint. "It was not at all an easy task to find the perfect person to play this challenging role.

The creative team was in discussions with many people and was in two minds whether to opt for a fresh face or an established actor. Himanshu was among the many actors who auditioned for the role and was chosen after a lot of debate between the channel and production house," says a unit member.

However, it wasn't a cakewalk for the Rajasthan-born actor either. "He had to go through a rigorous training and makeover of sorts. He was asked to do a yoga course, martial arts apart from workouts in gym. He even completed 10 days of a Vipasana course, that included maun vrat at Igatpuri," adds the source.

According to producer Dr B K Modi, the wait was worth the result. "For the role of Buddha, we had auditioned several actors both seasoned as well as newcomer. But Himanshu had suited the role naturally and he was put into a very rigorous training. He's come out shining like a prince." 

http://www.mid-day.com/entertainment/2013/oct/111013-actor-who-was-finally-zeroed-in-to-play-buddha-on-tv.htm

edited

Edited by Ms.S.K. - 9 years ago

Himanshu Soni to play the lead role of Buddha in Zee TV's Buddha

Edited by Ms.S.K. - 9 years ago
Will 'Buddha' oust 'Mahadev' as the hottest God on TV? Charu Thakur, IBNLive.com | Posted on Oct 13, 2013 at 10:53am IST Share inShare Share on Tumblr Is Jesus Really God? Scholars examine the facts about Jesus' claims to be God Y-Jesus.com Ads by Google New Delhi: After the success and popularity of 'Devon Ke Dev-Mahadev' and 'Mahabharata', producer BK Modi enters the world of mythology and brings the story of Lord Buddha through his new show 'Buddha- Rajaon ke Raja'. Though, the show has gone on air almost a month back, the makers decided to keep the identity of the guy playing 'Buddha' under the wraps which will be revealed on television in today's show. After Mohit Raina, who has struck the right chords with the audiences by playing Lord Shiva on Indian television, another Godly figure is ready to take on the small screen with his charisma. Himanshu Soni, a new face, will play the role of Siddharth in the television series 'Buddha- Rajaon Ke Raja'. Himanshu, who is making his debut in television, says he was not sceptical of doing a mythological show. "I was waiting for a good break. I went for the audition and was later called for the screen test." But unlike the Gods of 90s, the new age Gods on television not just concentrate on getting their lines correct but also undergo rigorous training to get into the character. "After the selection, I underwent a rigorous training for six months learning defence, sword fighting and horse riding. I was made to undergo training that would help me get into the character of Buddha." Will \'Buddha\' oust \'Mahadev\' as the hottest God on TV? After Mohit Raina who plays 'Mahadev', another Godly figure is ready to take on the small screen. With the success and popularity of 'Devon Ke Dev- Mahadev', mythological shows have become a new rage on television. When people knew Lord Shiva as just a character in the popular mythological shows of 90s, the makers of 'Mahadev' decided to give an edge to the character by presenting him in a new avatar. Never in the history of Indian television, had a God looked so hot. Flaunting his six-pack abs, Mohit Raina became the new age Shiva and was much appreciated for his role. He is the only actor made God look much more than just a divine being. Aware of the popularity of the mythological shows these days, Himanshu did not want to let go off such an opportunity. "Off lately, mythological shows have struck the right chord with the audiences and are in demand. It was definitely one of the major deciding factors while signing on the show. Also, people haven't seen Buddha on screen, so I wanted to associate with a show that provides novelty." But will Himanshu Soni be able to give Mohit Raina a run for his money? Though, Himanshu does not boast of a physique like Mohit Raina but his face does speak volumes about compassion that is a prerequisite for the role of Buddha. "It was not easy to find the right person to play the role of Buddha who has been a source of inspiration. We were looking for someone who could bring out the qualities of Buddha like kindness and compassion along with a charming face and Himanshu Soni just fitted the bill. Himanshu has gone through a rigorous training. He has put his soul into the character," says BK Modi, the producer of the show. Though, it is Himanshu's first show but the actor is aware of the popularity of Mohit Raina as the Mahadev. Many actors have played Gods on screen as divine deities but never has any actor received such tremendous craze and adulation the way Mohit has and Himanshu has completely kept a reality check of the same. "I have seen the show and I am completely aware of his popularity. I hope that people also appreciate me in a similar way."

Read more at: http://ibnlive.in.com/news/will-buddha-oust-mahadev-as-the-hottest-god-on-tv/428110-44-124.html?utm_source=ref_article
I want to be remembered as Buddha: Himanshu Soni

I want to be remembered as Buddha: Himanshu Soni
Himanshu SoniMore Pics

Newcomer Himanshu Soni, who will be seen essaying title role in "Buddha", says he has given his everything so that viewers remember him as the onscreen Buddha even after the saga goes off air.

Like many others, Himanshu left his hometown Jaipur and went to Mumbai to pursue acting. Nothing happened immediately and it was just six months ago that lady luck smiled on him.

"I went to Mumbai two years ago (in 2011). I had to struggle a lot. It's true that Mumbai is a city of dreams, but it started working in my favour six months ago when I gave the audition for 'Buddha'," Himanshu told IANS.

"I was called for the look test and finally I got selected. It was a dream come true for me. After the show, I want people to remember me as the onscreen Buddha," he added.

To be aired on Zee TV, "Buddha" is being made by industrialist B.K. Modi.

After being shortlisted, the 24-year-old claims that he has started doing his homework.

"I started doing meditation, went through books about Buddha, read his preaching. Then, one day I was called for the look test and got selected. It was a dream come true and I feel I have been able to do justice to my character," he said.

With a degree in M.Com from the University of Rajasthan, he wanted to pursue further studies, but couldn't resist the temptation to wear grease paint and face the camera.

http://www.spamdomain.net/tellywood-bytes/articles/zee-tvs-buddha-television-experience/

Edited by Ms.S.K. - 10 years ago
Miss India finalist makes her TV debut

Miss India finalist makes her TV debut

Miss India 2008 finalist Kajal Jain is all set to make her debut on the small screen asYashodhara in the TV show 'Buddha'. At a press conference held in the capital, she said, "I am playing Prince Siddhartha's ( Buddha) wife in the show. It is a great thing for me to be playing this character, which was an integral part of Buddha's life." 

Jain was selected after an audition a few weeks ago and since then, she has been busy researching her character. "I am connected withBuddhism as I have read a lot of stories since childhood. Also, ever since I have bagged the role, I am trying to do more research and read up on my character," she revealed. 

The model turned-actress, who hails from Gwalior, has earlier worked in Punjabi films and has done TV commercials with actors like Hrithik Roshan and Shahid Kapur. "The Miss India contest was quite helpful for me as it raised my confidence. It was a wonderful experience participating in a contest which has seen the likes of Aishwarya Rai andSushmita Sen making it to the top," she told us. 

It was after this contest that she also represented India at the Top Model of the World contest held in 2008 in Germany, where she made it to the Top 15. However, she now has her eyes firmly set onBollywood. "I am looking forward to working in the film industry. After this show, my priority will be to try my luck in Bollywood," she said. 

Edited by Ms.S.K. - 10 years ago
I am coming to Delhi after a long time: Himanshu Soni

Himanshu Soni, who will soon be seen on-screen playing the role of 'Buddha' on a TV show by the same name, was in Delhi recently. He told us about his journey from Jaipur to Mumbai. Excerpts from the chat:

I read a lot of books for this character
Everybody comes to Mumbai to become an actor. I auditioned for this role in December last year and then I got a call telling me that I have been shortlisted. I was informed that I would be called for a look test. There was a gap of two months in between so I started researching on the character - by reading books, meditation, etc. I thought that I should be fully prepared from my end. There was a look test and then another look test followed. It was in April that I was told that there is another actor who is in contention for the role along with me. Another audition followed after which I was finalized and then the shooting began. 

I learnt sword fighting 
For the role, I trained in sword and stick fighting. Maine Vipassana kiya. Since I used to play polo in Jaipur, I knew horse-riding. Par teen-chaar saal se ghode nahi chalaye thay. Shooting ke ghode alag hote hain, Argentinian ghode hote hain. Yahaan uski bhi training leni padi.

I came to Mumbai in 2011
Acting ka shauk 4-5 saal se tha. I also attended NSD workshops and even acted a play Andha Yug in Ajmer. At that time, I was pursuing MCom from Rajasthan University. I came to Mumbai on May 13, 2011. My parents were quite supportive. I am here because they are quite happy. In the two years, I have lived in Mumbai, I have my share of struggles. Mumbai ko main jaanta nahi tha. Jis jagah ko jaante nahi hain us jagah ko jaanney mein hi chheh-saat mahine lag jaate hain. Abhi tak main Churchgate nahi jaanta hoon. I have travelled in local trains and buses, even walked long distances. Before this show, I have worked in 'Ramayan' where I played Lord Vishnu's character. I also worked in 'Yeh Zindagi Hai Gulshan' on DD and I had done a cameo role in 'Parvarrish'. But 'Buddha' is my biggest role ever.

It's after a long time that I am coming to Delhi
I am coming to Delhi after a long time. Pehle toh aana-jaana laga rehta tha. However, it feels nice to be back here. I was a little nervous since this is a big show for me. But now, the feeling is sinking in. Since I am from Jaipur, I would come to Delhi for my father's business. I have friendshere. But those trips used to be short. Morning mein aata tha aur shaam ko nikal jaata tha. Shahar ko thoda bahut hi explore kiya hai.

I miss Jaipur 
Jaipur ka toh chappa chappa hamaari nazron mein rehta hai. Whenever I am alone and worried in Mumbai, my thoughts wander to Jaipur and I start thinking, 'At this time, I would have been with my friends in Jaipur'. I miss my family and friends a lot.

My cousin is a line producer 
My dad Rajkumar Soni is an artist, but I can't paint. He has an export-import business but I never had any interest in family business. I wanted to do something creative and found my calling in acting. After completing my Class XII, I worked with my cousin who was working as a line producer. He would help people in shooting their films. Maine is an artist, but I can't paint. He has an export-import business but I never had any interest in family business. I wanted to do something creative and found my calling in acting. After completing my Class XII, I worked with my cousin who was working as a line producer. He would help people in shooting their films.Maine kaafi shooting dekhi thi.