Debate Mansion

Why is it that,Pakistani soaps and movies

insouciance thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

are not as popular as indian soaps and movies are โ“โ“โ“...

Indian actors(big and small screen) are quite popular in Pakistan(or else we wouldnt be having so many pakistani members on this forum)...SRK,Salman,Rajeev Khandelwal,Eijaz,Iqbal etcetera are quite popular in Pakistan....Why is it so????

If I'm not mistaken,even the  indian musicians are quite popular in Pakistan..but then even the pakistani bands like JAL,fusion,adnan  sami etc are quite popular in India....Music is surely universal....๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Coming back to actors and soaps,Kyunki seems to be very popular in Pakistan.....and we even have actors like Mona Wasu and Tina Parekh,Rajeev etc who have acted in Pakistani soaps......and even the movies.....and apparently,Neha Dhupia too did an item number for a pakistani movie,whereas the pakistani actress Meera couldnt make it big in Bollywood

Why is it that Indian serials and movies are popular in pakistan but the vice-versa isnt true???......

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sq174121 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

well actually buffie...

pakistans industry is hust at the begining...since pakistan is a muslim country..acting is not a gud profession for ny boy or girl..we r still very u no...lyk not many ppl accept that here...so thats y our film industry isnt much gud..but we r improving..

n pakistani dramas btw r more popular then indian dramas...i know that there r a lot of pakistanis on this site..even i adore kyunki..but no matter how much i lyk kyunki i still think pakistani dramas r still much better then indian dramas...

if u c a pakistani watching 2 indian dramas at a tym theyd be watching 5 paki dramas...dunt underestimate paki dramas...they r ..n to tell u the truth much better then indian dramas cuz they atleast make sense n instead of showing one person marrying 3 ppl in one year they have sum sense in them...

using indian actors/actresses is only to promote pakistani dramas..not that out actors r crap..luk at hamayun saeed..he's sooo cute!!! ๐Ÿ˜ณ ..but its just that since star plus has cum n im talking abt star plus cuz wen zee n sony were here..i dunt think much ppl watched those dramas...ppl have started to watch ekats dramas..we just want our dramas to gain that popularity back because every1 admits that ektas dramas r not very gud but stil they watch them...our dramas r popular maybe not in india but i live in pakistan i know they r much more popular then indian dramas..

n the same goes to bands n singers..u have no idea how popular bands lyk noori n jal..n singers lyk atif n adnan sami r...im crazyy after them n i know a lot of pakistanis r..if many indians started listening to our bands i doubt ny1 wud want to listen to abhijeet sawant n all...they totally ROCK!!!!

With movies well sorry to say but i dont think indian movies have that effect nymore that they used to have on pakistanis...after the westernization of indian movies..i.e to there behayayi n all...not many pakistanis r able to watch them so we have turned ourself to hollywood n lollywood...still hollywood here is more popular then bollywood..i already said that i agree lollywood isnt much use..but our bands,singers,n dramas r much more popular then indian bands singers n dramas..

Edited by sanaqureshi - 17 years ago
Aparna_BD thumbnail
Originally posted by: sanaqureshi

n pakistani dramas btw r more popular then indian dramas...i know that there r a lot of pakistanis on this site..even i adore kyunki..but no matter how much i lyk kyunki i still think pakistani dramas r still much better then indian dramas...

I agree with you Buffie.

But i don't think you got Buffies point ,She means to say that Pakistani dramas are not popular in India at all. You don't have too many households watching Pakistani dramas. Otherwise even in this PSF section we mostly have Pakistani members. While Indian soaps are so popular in Pakistan ! (fine.....maybe not as popular as Pakistani soaps are in Pakistan.....BUT more popular than Pakistani soaps are in India)

I think the debate is why didn't Pakistani soaps gather the same popularity in India like the Indian soaps have in Pakistan. I mean it should have been a equal exchange and liking for each others soaps. But The Indian soaps are highlly popular in Pakistan. As for any figures, i think we can tell by the huge population of Pakistani members in this Indian Television discussion forum.๐Ÿ˜Š

And you said people in Pakistan watch more Hollywood..........i can take a bet on this that this in in-correct. How many people in Pakistan (same goes for India ofcourse) speak fluent English. It will be a small elite class that are well educated in the English language.
 Therefor you will have a smal section watching Hollywood films. To prove my point we could do a poll in PSF and ask the members to name last 3 films they watched in 2006.
The point being, that Bollywood is highly popular in Pakistan (Maybe not as much as Lollywood....i don't know .......i'll believe you if you say so) but hardly any one in India watches Lollywood. Infact people aren't even familiar with whats Lollywood in India.

So the question i think "why is that so?"๐Ÿ˜•

Very Interesting debate topic Buffie !!๐Ÿ˜Š
Edited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago
insouciance thumbnail
Originally posted by: sanaqureshi

well actually buffie...

n pakistani dramas btw r more popular then indian dramas..

that is perhaps in pakistan...and that's like so usual,as Pakistani serials being popular in pakistan is no big deal(and this I'm saying with upmost respect to the pakistani serials๐Ÿ˜Š)..But isnt it ironical and surprising that Indian aerials ARE popular in pakistan(they migth not be as pupular as the paki soaps,but the fact cant be denied that they ARE popular)....

.i know that there r a lot of pakistanis on this site..even i adore kyunki..but no matter how much i lyk kyunki i still think pakistani dramas r still much better then indian dramas...

but the fact cant be refuted that the indian soaps(no matter how cliched and crappy they are) is yet popular in Pakistan..but the paki soaps,which are touted to be so good areent as popular in India.....I mean,both India and Pakistan are quite welcomming nations..India has accepted Adnan and atif,and If I'm not wrong,pakistanis too are glued to ekta mai's soaps....But why is it that pakistani soaps arent popular in india..

if u c a pakistani watching 2 indian dramas at a tym theyd be watching 5 paki dramas...dunt underestimate paki dramas...they r ..n to tell u the truth much better then indian dramas cuz they atleast make sense n instead of showing one person marrying 3 ppl in one year they have sum sense in them...

No,i never had any intention to belittle any Pakistani soap,as I havent watched any,and that's precisely what's intriguing......

using indian actors/actresses is only to promote pakistani dramas..not that out actors r crap..luk at hamayun saeed..he's sooo cute!!! ๐Ÿ˜ณ

i dont know him..see,that's the thing...many pakistanis know about Eijaz,Rajeev etcetera,but I dont know about humayun saeed....

..but its just that since star plus has cum n im talking abt star plus cuz wen zee n sony were here..i dunt think much ppl watched those dramas...ppl have started to watch ekats dramas..we just want our dramas to gain that popularity back because every1 admits that ektas dramas r not very gud but stil they watch them...our dramas r popular maybe not in india but i live in pakistan i know they r much more popular then indian dramas..

No,that's quite usual isnt it..but Indian dramas being popular in PAkistan is what's interesting

s to bands n singers..u have no idea how popular bands lyk noori n jal..n singers lyk atif n adnan sami r...im crazyy after them n i know a lot of pakistanis r..if many indians started listening to our bands i doubt ny1 wud want to listen to abhijeet sawant n all...they totally ROCK!!!!

Umm,Abhijeet sawant and sandeep acharya arent the best singers...But sonu nigam,udit narayan,shankar mahadevan,KK etc are amazing singers(infact better than atif,but I still like the song from kalyug sung by atif๐Ÿ˜Š)....Atif ,rahet fateh ali khan,the guy who sang Mitwa etcetera are good singers no doubt.....

pular then bollywood..i already said that i agree lollywood isnt much use..but our bands,singers,n dramas r much more popular then indian bands singers n dramas..

what's lollywood๐Ÿ˜•....The poing i'm trying to make is that,Indian soaps ARe popular,but pakistani soaps arent i India..just wonder why๐Ÿค”

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Originally posted by: Buffie

what's lollywood๐Ÿ˜•....The poing i'm trying to make is that,Indian soaps ARe popular,but pakistani soaps arent i India..just wonder why๐Ÿค” 

Buffie i believe that is what Pakistan calls there film Industry as they are based in Lahore. Correct me guys if i am wrong.

I get your point , Indians aren't even familair with whats Lollywood while Bollywood is so popular in Pakistan (again as much as not Lollywood...)

jprasad thumbnail
I dunno about how popular what is for whom, but I do have to say that I am in love with Pakistani pop music. Especially Atif Aslam. I told my husband that I was having an affair with him. Always with him...through his music of course. ๐Ÿ˜‰   My husband just said make sure that he buys me expensive things so that my husband can save his money.

lol...nothing to debate just some rambling going on here on a lovely Wednesday morning. ๐Ÿ˜›   
Mauritian thumbnail
i remember watching some extremely well made serials from pakistan in the 80s and the 90s. some of them i watched in india before i got married and some i watched here later. they were excellent with respect to the story line, acting and directing. the dresses worn by the actresses were awesome... i remember observing the lack of melodrama in the whole set up... still the story had us hooked. and unlike any of the trends we see today, it would come to a a conclusion in 26 odd weeks. i was told that people living near the border could catch the relay from pak tv and some private tv channels.
i think eventually the glamour in india soaps won larger viewership there and unfortunately today the trend is that paki directors are aping the indians. which is a pity.
moondust thumbnail

I heard from somewhere, that Ekta's soaps were banned in Pakistan๐Ÿ˜•..or at least one of them was๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•, and I don't blame them-just look at the controversial storylines that Ekta cooks-->multiple marriages, myriad miscarriages, sister having affair with best friend's ex boyfriend's sister's brother's uncle's boy and what not๐Ÿ˜•...

Its a sad fact that Pakistani soaps aren't popular in India as they are in Pakistan..wheras, Indian soaps are quite popular in Pakistan. Hmmmm, maybe its to do with India being more multi-cultural...

I have not seen any Pakistani soaps, but i'm sure they are MUCH better than the cliched Ekta crap.๐Ÿ‘...I'm guessing they have real storylines, instead of the much fabricated reel one's that Ekta cooks up.

sq174121 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Dazlingflower thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I think what buffie is saying also applies towards attitude of Indians towards Hollywood movies. This trend of putting Hollywood actors on the pedestals started in late 80s and early 90s. I remember many of cousins and friends were not watching Indian movies and soaps and they were more attracted towards HOllywood movies and shows.
Now Hollywood actors are very popular cuz of MTV and our indian shows about Hollywood music and movies. I have seen so many shows where they interview Hollywood actors.

NOt only India has shows about Hollywood actors, but they are invited to movie awards. THey are the guest of Honor.

Now how many Americans are aware of SRK or Maduri Dixit. Oh yes ASH is becoming popular because she doesn't look Indian. Americans can relate to her because of her western looks. They are not aware of our talented actors and no one for sure invite them to Oscars or other music awards. WE sure don't see Indian dancers in Hollywood music videos, but in Our Bollywood movies, we sure do have American settings and dancers.

Just watch the link below how they have made fun of movie Krish.

http://video.google.com/videoplaydocid=6683056537029441117&q =krrish