Debate Mansion

Wearing Indian Clothing....

alina.b thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
From my recent visit to India, I noticed that people were trying to be "less" Indian or making fun of people who were "too" Indian. I was at a shop and i was wearing a salwar kurta with a bindi and a girl kept looking at me at smirking and two guys kept looking at me and giggling. First I thought was there something wrong with me? Then I realized I was the only person in that store who was wearing Indian clothing. There wasn't anything wrong with my clothes either, it was made of silk. Now I'm not saying that all Indians should have to wear Indian clothing or that they can't wear jeans and tshirts. I live in America and when I visit India, I feel like experiencing Indian culture! What is up with frustration of Indians trying to be more "western"? Real life or tv? Why aren't we satisfied with who we are? Is it inferiority complex? Does it go back to the British Raj? Some girls in India make such a big deal about wearing so called "western clothing". Those people in that store had no clue that what they make a big deal about is a normal thing for me. So my question is...why are trying to get away from who we are? Are we not happy with our culture? Why are people in India who are so called "behen ji" made fun of? Just because they want to wear salwar kurtas?

A/N: I have a feeling I'm gonna be getting some chapals and sandals from some people here haha! But if you can say it in a nice way...I might read on otherwise you should not bother writing it! Have fun!

THE TOPIC IS NOT ABOUT IF INDIANS SHOULD WEAR "WESTERN CLOTHING". THE TOPIC IS ABOUT WHY PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE TO WEAR INDIAN CLOTHING ARE MADE FUN OF?Edited by shweta2728 - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DonnaHarvey thumbnail
unres
I want to answer this in an articulate manner and I cant do that and watch Revenge at the same time๐Ÿ˜†
Maybe tomorrow?
Sorry, I have my priorities straight and clearly Revenge reigns all else๐Ÿ˜‰
revenge was awesome BTW.

I have lived on both sides of the sea for a fair amount of time so that puts me a comfortable place to comment on what I think is happening in our increasingly global culture. Back in the late 2000s, 2006-9 especially, were full of debates about losing touch with our culture. There was this unspoken unease about preferring English over the native language. And rightfully so, English is the language of the world nowadays. But the problem was bigger than that (and perhaps still is). People wanted their kids to learn English exclusively. Or, English and Hindi. Punjabi was secondary, unnecessary, and even rural and of low stature amount the elite/semi-elite. The literary tradition of my mother tongue was dying along with the slowly retreating readership. Had it not been for my dad's old left-leaning (aka commie) novels from the 70s through 90s, I would have never read any good Punjabi literature. There was none in class (same for hindi btw). We did the bare minimum learning our own tongues. I remember getting half a day off on diwali (and an exam the next day) even though almost all people in India celebrate diwali. We had no time off for Maghi or Baisa khi for some years. It broke the community's collective hearts that we were depriving our coming generations of their own values in favour of what is foreign and therefore, more enticing.
A movement spread around then. I was enrolled in Punjabi school. My peers had quidas to read the native alphabet. Books and op eds and songs were written about the importance of keeping true to your roots. And with the years as the movement has died down, my literature is breathing again. Movies (however good or bad) are being made again on what it is like to be a Punjabi. Kids still study punjabi. We have Bhangra schools and Teeyan celebrations. My community is living again.

That experience taught me how self-reliant we are. We can achieve what we want if we rise above our restraints.

Yes, there exists a certain shame in wearing salwar kameez out and about in the city. Multiple assumptions are made about your status, your education, even your open mindedness and political view from the way you dress. And that saddens me.

It irks me to no end knowing that being British or Americanized on the outside is somehow reflective of how liberal you are. Yes it is the colonial past still impacting our people, yes it is the white supremacy giving its stamp of approval that the only you will succeed (even in your own land) is if you are like them. That they and not you or your kind are the pinnacle of success.

That LSE and Harvard and not IIM or IIT ensure you will be rich and famous in the future.

I think your topic steered too into clothes or was interpreted that way because of the anecdote but I wanted to address the broader issue. Love to hear any other thoughts.

Edited by DonnaHarvey - 10 years ago
kavyasam thumbnail
Few questions from me as I read the post.

1.  What is wrong if Indians want to wear western clothing in India?

2.  How does wanting to wear western clothing make them  inferior.?

3.  What does 'being satisfied with who we are' got to do with wanting to wear western clothing?

4.  When Indians can wear western clothing in the west why should they be expected to wear Indian clothing in India?

5. How does wearing Indian clothing make a person more Indian than those wearing western clothing in the same place?

6.  Should people never change?   If that is so then they should all still be wearing dhotis and 9 yard sarees. 

Everyone is changing everywhere, it is no big deal according to me if people don't want to wear Indian Clothing in India.   I think only those can judge a person based on their Indian / Western clothing only if they wear Indian Clothing in the west also all the time. Or else don't assume that there is some kind of stigma associated with Indians to be less or more Indian in their home country. 

PS:  I could not comprehend properly why the dress being Silk matters. Whether it is salwar or jeans should only matter in this discussion.  right?

alina.b thumbnail
@KavyaSam

1. Plz read again...carefully...I said that it isn't a bad thing if Indians want to wear Jeans and Tshirt
2. It's not wearing western clothing that makes them inferior, its the thought of that wearing Indian clothes or anything that's Indian isn't cool.
3. Why are people ashamed to wear Indian clothing?
4. They can wear anything they want but why do they have to make fun of those who don't?
5. It doesn't.

6. Change is great! As long you don't make fun of people who want to wear dhotis and 9 ft sarees!

I mentioned silk meaning that I wasn't wearing clothes that didn't look appropriate to wear outside. Btw maybe you should read what I wrote again...carefully and try to comprehend it...sometimes we have to think deeper. Anyways thanks for commenting and sharing your views! Hope to hear more from you! ๐Ÿ˜ƒEdited by shweta2728 - 10 years ago
kavyasam thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: shweta2728

@KavyaSam

1. Plz read again...carefully...I said that it isn't a bad thing if Indians want to wear Jeans and Tshirt

2. It's not wearing western clothing that makes them inferior, its the thought of that wearing Indian clothes or anything that's Indian isn't cool.  -   That is not true is what I am saying.  For every one Indian wearing western clothes  there are 5 counter parts wearing Indian Clothing, by that ratio it is clear they do not think it is uncool.   And those who wear western clothes in India don't do it coz they want to feel superior.  

3. Why are people ashamed to wear Indian clothing? - have you considered that may be they are fed up of wearing Indian clothes and hence want to wear whatever else they like.   Just like how we go to India from America and want to for a change wear salwars because we are tired of wearing jeans all the time here.

4. They can wear anything they want but why do they have to make fun of those who don't? - Yes making fun isn't cool,  at the same time assuming they find it inferior or ashamed isn't either.
5. It doesn't.

6. Change is great! As long you don't make fun of people who want to wear dhotis and 9 ft sarees!
Exactly.  Because couple of people in a store seemed to have made fun at you, how does it bring about the notion that Indians feel inferior about what they should be wearing?  Why are they expected to wear Indian clothing in the first place. 

I mentioned silk meaning that I wasn't wearing clothes that didn't look appropriate to wear outside. Btw maybe you should read what I wrote again...carefully and try to comprehend it...sometimes we have to think deeper. Anyways thanks for commenting and sharing your views!
I said I did not comprehend only the silk part,  rest I have read carefully hence the reply ๐Ÿ˜Š
and I was right because the reason you mentioned your dress being silk and the reason I thot are different.  Reminder of the post I am not at all confused. 

Hope to hear more from you! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ -  I would love to continue but have to leave for now.  hope the discussion keeps going.  have a good time.

alina.b thumbnail
@KavyaSam

Res

Will answer tomorrow morning! Till then...Good Night! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
The thing is, you guys living abroad like every thing from the potholes in our roads to rickshaws to roadside food once a year or two. We on the other hand live here and they don't entice us as much. The same goes for Indian clothing. People are attracted to Western clothes more and want to give the Indian attire every contemporary twist they possibly can. There is nothing wrong with Indian clothes, of course. The said people must have been limited jerks. Now, as far as the clothes are really concerned, one should wear whatever they find optimum comfort in. I don't find Indian clothes that comfortable so I wear what I like, whenever I like. That's me. About the Indian clothing, there's so much I can say except perhaps this that the sari looks painstaking but whoa, I wanna wear it at least once. It's legend. ๐Ÿ˜†
DonnaHarvey thumbnail
unresed above.
@person before me. no, we cannot emulate your experience as a person who lives there everyday but I would argue that mine are just as valid. these are not op ed pieces snipped from papers. these are real observations. 

cheers!
I am sure you mean well
DonnaHarvey thumbnail
found this gem on teh interwebz๐Ÿ˜Š
"Colonial rule projected western science as the ultimate source of knowledge and western values as supreme. Stereotypes of oppressed non-western women had their counterpart in the male, rational western culture, coming to their rescue, both metaphorically and literally. Unfortunately, these stereotypes became so entrenched in the psyche of post-colonial nation builders that they and even third-world feminist activists confuse development with "westernization." The fallacy of such an assumption becomes clear when one takes a glance at the realities of everyday life where crimes against women and poverty and marginalization of the masses is exploding in the most urban metropolises with the highest exposure to modernization and globalization. Urban India is replete with rising incidences of crimes against women. Conservative supporters of westernization would attribute such malaise to "tradition." But rational thought points to globalization, with its emphasis on material values, consumerism and "trashing" of traditional knowledge. Globalization has eroded the traditional resource base as well as the knowledge and power associated with it."

- Globalization and modernity in India: A gendered critique by Subhadra Mitra Channa

kavyasam thumbnail
@TM -  You changed the title from 'Being less Indian' to  'wearing Indian clothing' .

@for the all caps foot note :  Yes you did mention in the post that you don't expect all Indians to wear Indian clothing and not wear jeans and t shirt,  so I don't think anyone will mistake the topic to be otherwise.  However you also stated asked  "what is up with the frustration of trying to be western, is it inferiority complex or does it go back to british Raj"   which implies you are questioning their choice of clothing as well. 

About making fun, the people who made fun of you must be mean people who would have made fun of anybody,  that should lead to the conclusion that Indians make fun of those who wear salwars. 

By the way we are talking about girls here correct,  what is the dress code for Indian Men?  There isn't one because 75% of the men in the world wear one uniform, pant and shirt.   I am glad girls have this choice of extreme variety.