Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

alina.b thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
Hi Kavya!

This going to be short cuz I'm a bit busy right now. Yes I did change my title because after I read my post I realized that my post was geared more towards clothing than culture than it originally had to be. The original purpose of my anecdote was well to be a person experience I wanted to share. In fact I have a broader thought on westernization. Indians in India might not realize the frustration they express but its pretty visible when people abroad notice it. Fun fact, British actually have a term called "Brown nose" look it up! Really to say I'm not interested in this topic cuz of my own fault that the topic is too specified. It needs to be more broad to see the bigger picture. I'm going to create a new topic when I have the time on Westernization vs development. Thanks to DonnaHarvey who summarized my thoughts since I didn't exactly have the word for it. I would love to see at my topic! Hope my comment wasn't that long hehe!

P.S. I would recommend reading DonnaHarvey's comment above, its really interesting!
kavyasam thumbnail
@Shweta - yes the topic is specific to clothing so will the replies be. 
Be assured I did get the point of your post.  

At the same time out of 1.27 billion people in India what could be the ratio of against/for India culture? 

anyways I have nothing more to add.  Thank you.
alina.b thumbnail
Originally posted by: kavyasam

@Shweta - yes the topic is specific to clothing so will the replies be.

</div>
<div>
Be assured I did get the point of your post.

At the same time out of 1.27 billion people in India what could be the ratio of against/for India culture?

anyways I have nothing more to add. Thank you.

I don't know. I don't perform statistics and I'm too lazy to look it up online...

Thank you for commenting and I wish to see you in future topics! 😊 It was fun talking to you.
Destinyhope0305 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
I wud say it was quite rude for the foreigners to laugh at u .But to be frank ,there are many "INDIANS" here in india too where whenever a foreigner lands up they wud either get ready to mock them or lust over them.!! Believe me sumtimes even literate clique does that!! I m actually with the thought dat every individual must have the right to dress up as they want.To wear or act like they want! To hit the reality i wud say (it may sound rude to some) "SOME " INDIANS are still so stuck in their old cultures dat they find it tough or rather say disgusted to adjust to modern culture while foreigners find it tough to understand Indian culture!
alina.b thumbnail
Originally posted by: Destinyhope0305

I wud say it was quite rude for the foreigners to laugh at u .But to be frank ,there are many "INDIANS" here in india too where whenever a foreigner lands up they wud either get ready to mock them or lust over them.!! Believe me sumtimes even literate clique does that!! I m actually with the thought dat every individual must have the right to dress up as they want.To wear or act like they want! To hit the reality i wud say (it may sound rude to some) "SOME " INDIANS are still so stuck in their old cultures dat they find it tough or rather say disgusted to adjust to modern culture while foreigners find it tough to understand Indian culture!

So "modern" culture is westernization? So what is "modern" for who live in the west? Modern is not they way you dress. Its the way you think. India is still a developing country and I hope I don't have to explain you why. But instead of only copying fashion and dances of the west why not adopt some of their ideas which make them a successful country and society? And about the "old" indian culture...please specify what goes under that category. I don't know how "old" or far back you are talking about cuz I'm a teenager...so even if you are talking about 10 years ago...I was too young...
tinkerbe11 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Okay without going into too much detail here, I understand this topic completely given my own experiences.  I mean I absolutely love India! ❤️  I've spent years out there and not wanting to come back to London, but the truth is I've travelled mainly over North India and surrounding areas, but whilst I'm not travelling I usually stay in Delhi.  Anyways, I always wear Indian clothes in India and I've had it all the time.  People from India, mainly the same sort of age groups usually don't appreciate it much if they see a person from younger generations dressing in Indian clothing.  I don't understand it but I can vouch that it's happened to me more times than once - so it's not just the few odd people, it's actually the majority.  Maybe they find it old-fashioned or something to take the piss out of, but the truth is I laugh at people like that and I've even ended up dissing their asses lool but truth of the matter is what they're really taking the mick out of is themselves because they belong to the land where sari's were made for the reason of having enough material to cover you, 3 piece suits were made for modesty and no one's laughing at them because they're not wearing it, but then why do they find it amusing if what they consider us as 'foreigners' choose to wear it and respect it in the very land our roots derive from also.  See abroad we have little resources to keep our cultures traditional and intact with its roots so these small things help us finding an identity as Indians, it makes us feel proud that we are so away from home yet we haven't forgotten who we are and where we come from.   

Having said that, I won't lie, even here in London, other cultural people accept our clothing more than our own, they appreciate it, admire, even try to imitate it, but we have majority from our culture here that also think it not right to wear Indian clothes because frankly speaking they find it 'intimidating' because perhaps they're not blending in with the people and friends from their area. 

However the reason I'm replying is just to generally say that if we see other people's cultures and their traditions they're not ashamed or trying so hard to blend in with the western culture so much because it's our cultures and tradition and clothing that sets us apart in this world and to keep it alive we first need to learn to accept that.  😉

Anyways no hard feelings to anyone, good day folks x

Double postEdited by Destinyhope0305 - 10 years ago
Originally posted by: shweta2728

So "modern" culture is westernization? So what is "modern" for who live in the west? Modern is not they way you dress. Its the way you think. India is still a developing country and I hope I don't have to explain you why. But instead of only copying fashion and dances of the west why not adopt some of their ideas which make them a successful country and society? And about the "old" indian culture...please specify what goes under that category. I don't know how "old" or far back you are talking about cuz I'm a teenager...so even if you are talking about 10 years ago...I was too young...

i never said modern is western..or dressing down in dat sense ! Being Modern is to be modern in ur thoughts!! I m an Indian n i wud say if some indians dont respect Skirts,jeans ,shirts ,tops den dont bloody expect frm others to respect indian culture! ! !
alina.b thumbnail
Originally posted by: Destinyhope0305

i never said modern is western..or dressing down in dat sense ! Being Modern is to be modern in ur thoughts!! I m an Indian n i wud say if some indians dont respect Skirts,jeans ,shirts ,tops den dont bloody expect frm others to respect indian culture! ! !

I wasn't talking about foreigners respecting our culture! I'm talking about Indians respecting their own culture and their people. Trust me, there are some foreigners who can respect others and THEIR OWN culture better than Indians but we don't seem to want to copy that, Do we?
alina.b thumbnail
Originally posted by: tinkerbe11

</div>

<div>

<font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"></strong></font>

<font color="#009900" size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Okay without going into too much detail here, I understand this topic completely given my own experiences. I mean I absolutely love India! ❤️ I've spent years out there and not wanting to come back to London, but the truth is I've travelled mainly over North India and surrounding areas, but whilst I'm not travelling I usually stay in Delhi.Anyways,Ialways wear Indian clothes in India and I've had it all the time. People from India, mainly the same sort of age groups usually don't appreciate it much if they see a person from younger generations dressing in Indian clothing. I don't understand it but I can vouch that it's happened to me more times than once - so it's not just the few odd people, it's actually the majority. Maybe they find it old-fashioned or something to take the piss out of, but the truth is I laugh at people like that and I've even ended up dissing their asses lool but truth of the matter is what they're really taking the mick out of is themselves because they belong to the land where sari's were made for the reason of having enough material to cover you, 3 piece suits were made for modesty and no one's laughing at them because they're not wearing it, but then why do they find it amusing if what they consider us as 'foreigners' choose to wear it and respect it in the very land our roots derive from also. See abroad we have little resources to keep our cultures traditionaland intact with its roots so these small things help us finding an identity as Indians, it makes us feel proud that we are so away from home yetwehaven't forgotten who we are and where we come from. </font>

<font color="#009900" size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>

<font color="#009900" size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>

<font color="#009900" size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Having said that, I won't lie, even here in London, other cultural people accept our clothing more than our own, they appreciate it, admire, even try to imitate it, but we have majority from our culture here that also think it not right to wear Indian clothes because frankly speaking they find it 'intimidating' because perhaps they're not blending in with the people and friends from their area. </font>

<font color="#009900" size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">However the reason I'm replying is just to generally say that if we see other people's cultures and their traditions they're not ashamed or trying so hard to blend in with the western culture so much because it's our cultures and tradition and clothing that sets us apart in this world and to keep it alive we first need to learn to accept that. 😉</font>

<font color="#009900" size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><strong></font>

<font color="#009900" size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Anyways no hard feelings to anyone, good day folks x</font>

Wow that was really good! So I'm not the only person who experienced this (Hear that KavyaSam?) Its not only Indians in India...in fact even the ones abroad...they don't teach their kids their language (Hindi, Tamil, etc), they don't have a single clue about India's culture or history. I have 2 Indian friends. One of them speaks Hindi, Telugu and English and is very much aware of current events in India and its history. My other friend who claims to know a little bit Hindi doesn't even want to try to say anything because she was embarrassed. Embarrassed of what? Besides me, nobody knew Hindi and she knew I would not make fun of her cuz I would help her with her Hindi sometimes. Then she said that she wants to learn Spanish fluently but funny thing is she can't even her own language fluently. It isn't her fault...it her parents. I have many other friends which belong from other cultures (Mexican, Chinese, African,) Most of them were born here I America but they are so connected to their culture and speak their language so fluently. And they are very proud of it! They are not ashamed to speak in their language in front of others. Actually I would even admire south Indians on that...most are pretty connected to their roots. My friend which I was talking about is also south Indian.