Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cupoftea11 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
One more thing, when ANYONE here wears jeans or dress or shorts please don't say that these are MODERN dresses. They are WESTERN. Theres a difference between Western and modern
chopsticks thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
-
Edited by chopsticks - 9 years ago
jason-derulo thumbnail
All I gotta say is that , I am way better off being from the land of '' snake charmers'' than being the land of free-dumb . ðŸ˜†

that is to say , I am glad i've been brought up to obey my adults , balance my life and stay away from drugs , not jump at make-out parties , not have acquired the skills to garner a PHD in drunken arts and 'games of the night with assorted ' ðŸ˜†

LovelyPlanet thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: shweta2728

From my recent visit to India, I noticed that people were trying to be "less" Indian or making fun of people who were "too" Indian. I was at a shop and i was wearing a salwar kurta with a bindi and a girl kept looking at me at smirking and two guys kept looking at me and giggling. First I thought was there something wrong with me? Then I realized I was the only person in that store who was wearing Indian clothing. There wasn't anything wrong with my clothes either, it was made of silk. Now I'm not saying that all Indians should have to wear Indian clothing or that they can't wear jeans and tshirts. I live in America and when I visit India, I feel like experiencing Indian culture! What is up with frustration of Indians trying to be more "western"? Real life or tv? Why aren't we satisfied with who we are? Is it inferiority complex? Does it go back to the British Raj? Some girls in India make such a big deal about wearing so called "western clothing". Those people in that store had no clue that what they make a big deal about is a normal thing for me. So my question is...why are trying to get away from who we are? Are we not happy with our culture? Why are people in India who are so called "behen ji" made fun of? Just because they want to wear salwar kurtas?

A/N: I have a feeling I'm gonna be getting some chapals and sandals from some people here haha! But if you can say it in a nice way...I might read on otherwise you should not bother writing it! Have fun!

THE TOPIC IS NOT ABOUT IF INDIANS SHOULD WEAR "WESTERN CLOTHING". THE TOPIC IS ABOUT WHY PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE TO WEAR INDIAN CLOTHING ARE MADE FUN OF?

slightly unrelated but i had similar experience just last sunday when i was at delhi airport.. i bought some sweets from duty free shop coz it was nt exactly happy occassion i was visting india for.. anyway i was trying to ask questions and none of the girls/boys insisted on speaking some unintelligible version of english even when i switched to Hindi..😕.. so i did not get my answers.. anyway mopving on when i queued for paying this guy started serving a foreigner woman after me.. i retaliated because i had to pay for just 1 item and reply i got was "i will serve you also ma'm" .. 😆..anyway, annoyed i did not buy anything but spent 15 minutes lecturing 😡 how to serve when there is a queue( and almost missed the plane) phew.. they sure must have laughed at me too after i was gone.. but the point is problem is with the culture... they feel better about themselves(despite their low lives) when they get any chance to mock others, dont feel bad about anything

-Inferno- thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

@jason-derulo. Well I'm sorry to say but there are people in India who fall under the "jump at make-out parties and have acquired the skills to garner a PHD in drunken arts and 'games of the night with assorted" category. It's not just India, it's everywhere. As for values, then I have seen some European chaps with much more values than the Indians. The values depend from person to person so lets not be stereotypical and ignore everything completely. 

As for the topic as to why people in India make fun of someone who is wearing Indian Clothing, lets just say that they are not mature and are trying to make themselves feel good about being "western". Personally, I have encountered that as well. I mean I don't want to wear jeans and t-shirts only because I always feel people stare at me when I travel with those on. So, I simply go for the plain salwaar kameez. and teenagers or people in their twenties have snickered and asked tauntingly what I was wearing. The question is not what people in India wear. I don't care what they wear really...they have all the rights to wear jeans and t-shirts...hell wear a bikini if you want! But, don't question my clothing. I wear salwaar kameez in Canada and have never encountered someone mocking/making fun of me. On the contrary they compliment me. At the end of the day, one should remember where they come from and respect that. 
be-happy-always thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
nice topic shweta2728😊

This CAN HAPPEN ONLY IN INDIA!!

Here where I live (US), nobody even gives shit abiut what ur wearing!
And if they do notice, they'll ask you about what its called... or how beautiful it is!

And in India, some people think they are westernising themselves...trust me, you can never do that! coz you don't adopt their way of thinking or social etiquettes but just the dresses! I don't say all people here are good but they do have something called "I don't care...it's my choice...what i will wear"

Here everybody including me experiment with clothes a lot but just for our own fun! 

When I came here from India, the biggest change I felt was there is no term like "trend" here.
Everybody dresses uniquely!

People please wear what you like and not what people around you will like!

Oh I must say people around the globe can be racists but nobody says anything about dresses! Rather they all experiment with all kinds of dresses...may that be from other cultures!
Edited by be-happy-always - 10 years ago
sarasingh86 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: be-happy-always

nice topic shweta2728😊

This CAN HAPPEN ONLY IN INDIA!!

Here where I live (US), nobody even gives shit abiut what ur wearing!
And if they do notice, they'll ask you about what its called... or how beautiful it is!

And in India, some people think they are westernising themselves...trust me, you can never do that! coz you don't adopt their way of thinking or social etiquettes but just the dresses! I don't say all people here are good but they do have something called "I don't care...it's my choice...what i will wear"

Here everybody including me experiment with clothes a lot but just for our own fun! 

When I came here from India, the biggest change I felt was there is no term like "trend" here.
Everybody dresses uniquely!

People please wear what you like and not what people around you will like!

Oh I must say people around the globe can be racists but nobody says anything about dresses! Rather they all experiment with all kinds of dresses...may that be from other cultures!

I agree with you on this. Over here in america no one cares what you are wearing , noone stares at you weirdly unless you are wearing something which is extremly inappropriate.  The best part , majority of people here , don't judge you. Whether someone is wearing sari or salwar kameez or even hijab.
But Contrary to that it happens in India. I feel india is one of most racist society complexed with inferiority complex  and caste system.
Edited by sarasingh86 - 10 years ago
be-happy-always thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: sarasingh86

I agree with you on this. Over here in america no one cares what you are wearing , noone stares at you weirdly unless you are wearing something which is extremly inappropriate.  The best part , majority of people here , don't judge you. Whether someone is wearing sari or salwar kameez or even hijab.
But Contrary to that it happens in India. I feel india is one of most racist society complexed with inferiority complex  and caste system.

I knowww...right?! 
In schools as well, girls are definitely very fashionable...but no one really cares even if they wear casual  track pants!
Edited by be-happy-always - 10 years ago
hotchilli thumbnail
Originally posted by: shweta2728

From my recent visit to India, I noticed that people were trying to be "less" Indian or making fun of people who were "too" Indian. I was at a shop and i was wearing a salwar kurta with a bindi and a girl kept looking at me at smirking and two guys kept looking at me and giggling. First I thought was there something wrong with me? Then I realized I was the only person in that store who was wearing Indian clothing. There wasn't anything wrong with my clothes either, it was made of silk. Now I'm not saying that all Indians should have to wear Indian clothing or that they can't wear jeans and tshirts. I live in America and when I visit India, I feel like experiencing Indian culture! What is up with frustration of Indians trying to be more "western"? Real life or tv? Why aren't we satisfied with who we are? Is it inferiority complex? Does it go back to the British Raj? Some girls in India make such a big deal about wearing so called "western clothing". Those people in that store had no clue that what they make a big deal about is a normal thing for me. So my question is...why are trying to get away from who we are? Are we not happy with our culture? Why are people in India who are so called "behen ji" made fun of? Just because they want to wear salwar kurtas?

A/N: I have a feeling I'm gonna be getting some chapals and sandals from some people here haha! But if you can say it in a nice way...I might read on otherwise you should not bother writing it! Have fun!

THE TOPIC IS NOT ABOUT IF INDIANS SHOULD WEAR "WESTERN CLOTHING". THE TOPIC IS ABOUT WHY PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE TO WEAR INDIAN CLOTHING ARE MADE FUN OF?

I dont think people make fun if u wear Indian clothing. It can be coz of the style/type. u have mentioned it was a silk material. In India people wear silks for festivals or some family functions something like that. else the dress must be old styled. People do wear salwar kurtas here. i think  they made fun coz of the style.  (I am not sure about ur dressing style. sorry if iam wrong)
Chiraiyya... thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I've never been to India but from what I've seen on TV, the girls have really taken western clothing the wrong way. They are wearing short dresses that girls from here in the UK would wear when they are going to a party. No-one here goes out in a mini dress with the highest pair of heels. 
In simple terms some girls just think they are better than everyone else. Those type of girls are everyone, not just India.