Debate Mansion

Wearing Indian Clothing.... - Page 5

GredandForge thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
One word. Peer pressure.
The class differences, upbringing, location everything contributes to how a person is dressed.
Pervading all this is a person's urge to be similar to the people we move around with. We want to be "Unique" as a group.

Since urban ways of living are so hyped, everyone wants to emulate the same. 
Clothes, for some incomprehensible reason, seem to have an effect on the way you think.
You are cool, modern and all the jazz if you wear Western clothes because "Westerners" are so progressive. ( No offense. Its just another jibe at how Indians seem to consider them to be the epitome of all that is good)

Having said that, you are lucky to have not been ridiculed for wearing Western clothes. That is more rampant even in Metropolitan cities. 

Indians or for that matter all have to stop judging a person by the clothes worn. I know guys who prefer their girlfriends to wear jeans but want the wives to be saree or salwar clad.

P.S: Two problems with your post.
1. Indian Culture has nothing to do with the clothes you wear
2. Who cares whether you were wearing silk or cotton? They probably felt you were over or under dressed depending on the place you visited.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

This content was originally posted by: shweta2728

THE TOPIC IS NOT ABOUT IF INDIANS SHOULD WEAR "WESTERN CLOTHING". THE TOPIC IS ABOUT WHY PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE TO WEAR INDIAN CLOTHING ARE MADE FUN OF?

Lot of girls in India wear Indian clothes without raising any eyebrows . Its the guys who are less often seen in traditional Indian clothes except for the kuta pyjamas.
ruky786 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Everyone's entitled to wear whatever they want to wear, I personally am so used to salwar kameez
*Dev.* thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Nice post. Completely agree. I think each one of us can wear what we like and nobody has rights to stop us or look dull to us . Indian cloths are one of those which are put very nicely , but this does not means that Western is bad either .
:)
-Wanderer- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Hi! This is my first post in this forum.
I did not get for sure if you wore Indian wear in US or in India.
However both ways people are out there to judge you.
I have a lot of opinions on this subject.

Many Indians are way too strange. I have felt that they always try to imitate the west to think its cool. I don't know the impression that line gave you but what I'm trying to say is that I've seen many Indians, NRI or otherwise feel that undermining India is cool. What we wear is our choice entirely and as long as its decent(I know this is subject to controversy)  people should just mind their own business.
I usually wear jeans and tops but that doesn't mean I have anything against Indian wear. In fact, I love Indian wear as it has a beauty which is not found in other clothings.
So basically the people who made fun of you felt they're cool and you're not which makes them so shallow-minded.
Edited by -Wanderer- - 10 years ago
Forever-KA thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

People wear clothes based on their environment, culture, norms, preference and I dont see why it should matter to anyone if someone likes wearing Indian clothes. If we get into mode of laughing at others then I can point to many issues among western clothing wearing desis as well.

And above all a beautiful person will look beautiful in any clothing. That is why I am against people going after fancy brands. What are you saying if you need famous brands, makeup and other procedure to look good? It does not impress me. Beauty is simplicity with no chemicals on you. lol. anyway i dont see any problem as long as there is clothing. lol 
Forever-KA thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
This actress is in India clothing and shows a good looking person will look regardless of type of clothing

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpIdoaaPa6U[/YOUTUBE]

ignore the monkey looking hero