24 Begins : Singhania Secrets and more..

Posted: 10 years ago

Hi all, Paddy here.  No I won't make references to the original 24. ðŸ˜Š

Aditya Singhania, the idealist politician with a pragmatic approach wasn't going to come out smelling like roses. No, of course not. He has a past that journalists will dig up. Don't know how he forgot about the police report involving his graduation party. Mommy dearest is going to blow a gasket soon. ( Is that Anita Raj?).  The Singhania campaign is a fully family concern. Brother,sister and wayward brother - in-law are all part of his team. No doubt, some people in there will be playing a double game. 

Speaking of double games, the ATU (Anti-Terrorist Unit) is chock full of them. Nikita the old flame of Jai (or is it on again,off again), seems to be a bit obsessed with Jai. Follows him around the unit asking "Jai, what are you doing?"  Jai doesn't bother with her too much except to get her to spy on his rebel daughter Kiran. Niki of course drops everything and hacks into Kiran's email...anything  for Jai !   Sigh! 

Jai Rathod lives in the darkest apartment in India. No, it's a nice change from bright brighter brightest TV sets, but maybe gone a bit too far into cave land. There he tries to celebrate wife Trisha's birthday with no interruptions but alas, Niki calls to summon him to urgent business at ATU. Trisha and Kiran sulk. Then Kiran switches on her rebel (stupid) switch and goes out partying with obviously not good results. Mother Trisha and Papa Jai have tiffs over the phone about how he's an absentee dad and is to blame for Kiran's unhappiness. Then Trisha also gets into Kiran's friend's dad's car ðŸ˜³ and goes looking for Kiran. I seriously don't want to see people getting into cars of people they hardly know, but it's too late in this show already. 

Anupam Kher's character is still a bit of a mystery. He seems to be an old veteran of past encounters with baddies and keeps his ear to the ground. He's also Jai's outside informant. 

Max, the would be assassin met with a bad end. What a waste. But he was really maha stupid not to see that the girl seated next to him on the plane was playing him. While he bragged about 'shooting' Aditya Singhania and ended up dead, his assassin, jumps out of the plane by crashing it. Lot more people dead? Does this woman work for the ATU?  Or is this a double-double agent. All will become a little bit clearer next episode...

Nice EAT Anusha. Loved the episode. No dragging, no nonsense. The story was very gripping. The power struggle between RAW and ATU which in India is the ATS is legendary and happens quite often. Apart from the attempts to thwart the plans to assassinate Aditya, it will be interesting to watch this power struggle. The way the family is structured, it does remind us of the Gandhi family. Aditya does look a bit like Rahul. Eagerly waiting for the story to unfold.
Oh I didn't realise that RAW and ATU are going to be competing. Wonder if Wasim (A Kher) belongs to RAW then.
Ya Singhania's remind us of all Asian political families. 
Yes Jai's boss in this mission is from RAW. That is what I understood. Jai is from ATU. It was obvious they have had past differences and the boss would not let Jai forget who is the boss...That is why I talked of power struggle. In future also I am expecting clashes between the two.
Right. Got it.  So Gill is RAW and he was Jai's boss before. Looks like Jai is a pretty renegade character and will even stick a needle in Gill's neck.  I'm guessing that Shabana will also play a RAW boss. 

Thanks Uma. I am going to need your knowledge of the Indian set up to understand the politics in ATU. Somewhere further down, this story is going to become more Indian and less a copy. Should be interesting.
interesting!!!!  yet to watch the show.
The journalist played by Suchitra Pillai may even be a villain, sneaking into ATU base and giving in-depth reports on-site, helping anti-nationals. This show may be a mouthpiece for the writers' opinions on politicians and news media- expect a Dehati Aurat reference!
Lovely review.

I had a gut instinct reaction to the cousin when he said to bring all information to him and not even share it with the mother of Aditya.

I hope I'm wrong but I feel the cousin is going to double cross him or something.
@ Arjun_M: she behaves like a villain and is pretty confident so ya, I would say she's a villain. Can't take my mind back to original season 1 to remember if any journos were embedded in the ctu...

@AngeloScuro, thanks. ...and your gut instinct is probably right too. There are villains everywhere in 24. 
Edited by PadBear - 10 years ago
@PadBear - I haven't seen the original 24 (just yet, need to know re-run timings or W/O links), but the concept of embedded journos, investigative journos, and in this case, hit-job journos, is well known in India. Read up about Barkha Dutt's coverage of the Kargil war and also the 26-11 terror attacks (specifically 27/11 and 28/11, when she was in Mumbai), more so what people (and some servicemen) think, and you'll get a hint of possible media commentary happening in this show. Even that report on Aditya Singhania is likely to be planted by this channel, as a move to help the terrorists.