go and visit the Taj Mahal.

Emperor Shah Jahan had it built for his beloved and favorite wife, Mumtaz
Mahal. Though they have past on centuries ago, the legacy remains of
the love that went into it remains today and that is a big reason why so
many are attracted to this mausoleum

Taj Mahal…Taj Mahal…Taj Mahal (jp sighs) So much love...so much
history...so much money...so many years...so many hands…so much
blood. On that note, why don't we explore the dark side of creation of
the Taj Mahal and see if it was worth its fame?

Come on debators, put your thinking caps on and give this topic your
best shot. Enquiring minds wanna know what you think. Is the Taj Mahal
worth it's fame today or should it be plowed to the ground?Edited by jprasad - 17 years ago
Posted: 17 years ago
plowed to the ground ?????😲 JP so violent in the middle of the night ??😆😆 Kya baat hai !!😉

Will be back later..........now gotta sleep.🥱 

Originally posted by jprasad

The price of gold per gram: ~US$208

Purchasing marble per square feet: US$20 - US$60

Being able to keep your hands after building the Taj Mahal: Priceless

😛   (Gotta love those mastercard commercials. They give me so many
idears.)

Getting on to more serious things   ðŸ˜³

Taj Mahal known for its beauty and grandeur stands tall and proud in
India today. A major tourism spot for those who visit India and want to
see this wonder.   I have never been to India, but if I do go, I would like to
go and visit the Taj Mahal.

Emperor Shah Jahan had it built for his beloved and favorite wife, Mumtaz
Mahal. Though they have past on centuries ago, the legacy remains of
the love that went into it remains today and that is a big reason why so
many are attracted to this mausoleum

Taj Mahal…Taj Mahal…Taj Mahal (jp sighs) So much love...so much
history...so much money...so many years...so many hands…so much
blood. On that note, why don't we explore the dark side of creation of
the Taj Mahal and see if it was worth its fame?

Come on debators, put your thinking caps on and give this topic your
best shot. Enquiring minds wanna know what you think. Is the Taj Mahal
worth it's fame today or should it be plowed to the ground?

LoL nice topic JP😆

I think it was a bit harsh on Shah Jahan's part to cut off the builders hands. But then again, worse things has happened in the past. And I find it somewhat romantic😕 in a weird, twisted evil way. He loved Mumtaz  so much, that he had the builders hands cut off so the builders couldn't make the same building for some other grief-stricken, lovesick emperor. Wow, the power of love😳😕

I think that b4 India was invaded...it was worth more. Cuz the Taj Mahal used to be decked out with soooo many gems nd stuff. Nd according to wut i'm told by relatives. There is nothing left. All the gems were stolen.
Kinda like in the Mummy(movie) where that guy kept taking those jeweled bugs off the walls. only the bug killed him in the end...

So think it was more valuable. But it should stand becuz it is the icon of India,nd its one gigantic piece of history. Nd it shows that Indians can so great things with out having to go nd take over another country.!!
every major historic building/archtechture in the world usually has a dark side to it. (the great wall of china, the taj mahal, the pyramids). They are a part of the history, and not a reason why they should be destroyed. If we do destroy these magnificent structures we will forget how many people died building the structures that still stand proud today.
Ok now destruction of Taj Mahal. Areee no yaar. Its the seventh wonder of the world and India's pride .

As for the dark side of Taj Mahal, yes i sometimes shudder at the blood / gore and sacrifice that went to it. Personally if i was Mumtaz i would have kicked my hubby's butt for presenting me a gift that involved so much blood, and many people's/ families curses too.😊  Imagine how many people had to give up the art they were best in and then find some other pathetic job.(coz they lacked a thumb........the most important finger for an artisan)  Imagine the families how they must have suffered and abused ShahJahan for having their husbands neing forced out of their trade/ art!😕 What sort of expression of love was this ShahJahan Bhai ??!!??
We have all heard how the Taj Mahal, which is considered one of the great wonders of the world, was built as the preeminent expression of a man's love for a wife. That it was built by emperor Shah Jahan in commemoration of his wife Mumtaz. However, in our continuous effort to get to the truth, we have recently acquired some very important documents and information. There is evidence that the Taj Mahal was never built by Shah Jahan. Some say the Taj Mahal pre-dates Shah Jahan by several centuries and was originally built as a Hindu or Vedic temple/palace complex. Shah Jahan merely acquired it from its previous owner, the Hindu King Jai Singh.

check it out in the following link

http://www.stephen-knapp.com/was_the_taj_mahal_a_vedic_templ e.htm
Taj Mahal is built so beautifully, doesn't matter if they took gems...it's still so beautiful. I just wonder if Shahjhan plan to build a black marble Taj-Mahal right in front of the present one, was acrried out, could have been a great thing. Too bad his greedy son couldn't wait to gain control of everything.

It was sad for workers who lost their hands. Only if they had known their future, I wonder if they had gone through building the whole thing. But it makes me wonder about stupidity and mind set of Shahjhan...Only cutting hands doesn't stop anyone to rep-make the structure. Anyone can copy..What was he thinking?

Originally posted by jasunap

We have all heard how the Taj Mahal, which is considered one of the great wonders of the world, was built as the preeminent expression of a man's love for a wife. That it was built by emperor Shah Jahan in commemoration of his wife Mumtaz. However, in our continuous effort to get to the truth, we have recently acquired some very important documents and information. There is evidence that the Taj Mahal was never built by Shah Jahan. Some say the Taj Mahal pre-dates Shah Jahan by several centuries and was originally built as a Hindu or Vedic temple/palace complex. Shah Jahan merely acquired it from its previous owner, the Hindu King Jai Singh.

That couldn't be true because to my knowldge HIndu temples were not made in that style. Taj-Mahal has Middle east flavor to it..

[Quote=Jasunap]We have all heard how the Taj Mahal, which is considered one of the great wonders of the world, was built as the preeminent expression of a man's love for a wife. That it was built by emperor Shah Jahan in commemoration of his wife Mumtaz. However, in our continuous effort to get to the truth, we have recently acquired some very important documents and information. There is evidence that the Taj Mahal was never built by Shah Jahan. Some say the Taj Mahal pre-dates Shah Jahan by several centuries and was originally built as a Hindu or Vedic temple/palace complex. Shah Jahan merely acquired it from its previous owner, the Hindu King Jai Singh.

[/Quote]

Ohh dear.. history and its twists and turns are far more mind blowingly surprsing ithan our drama twistings 😆 BET history beats opera soups all the way!!! 😆 😉

Anyways... If this is one of the evidences.. then i won't be surprised that Shah-Jehan Cut the hands of the artsmen is a rumour... Can u still trust history ???? 😕 ..this is so (So first of all prove that this was built by shah jehan and hands were cut off 😕 )

Ploughed to the ground!! No WAY!!! Please JP di...have a heart at least for the monument of eternal love u sighed on 😆 ...Taj Mahal is sure one of the seven wonders of the world... On a Filmi statement "Yeh Muhabbat ki Maut ho gi" 😆 😆 "Jp di Muhabbat ki dushman na bano" 😆 (too much melodrama 😛 ...ask Sanjay Leela Bhansali to make a film on this topic 😆 )

Returning back to where i was thinking... Taj as being a symbol of love more than a mere monument....i think that IF the Shahjehan-Mumtaz mahal's love story wasn't associated with it, it wouldn't have gained so much of appreciation and fame. *thinking cap still on my head😲*

Every Big creation, and there is a dark side...it is not new to me... wht happened, happened in the past! Why to ruin our culture preservation for future generations!!!!
Edited by MNMS - 17 years ago