Are the Indian Muslims being targeted??

insouciance thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Are the Indian Muslims being targeted after every terrorist attack,was the topic of the debate in NDTV,....1)The panel comprised of Mr.Salman Khurshid, a  senior congress leader 2),The elader of the "Muslim party" of Uttar Pradesh,and 3)a Muslim leader from Hyderabad and the senior journalist of Hindustan Times

The debate in a gist...All three muslim leaders SWEARED that NO INDIAN MUSLIM would be a "gaddar"(traitor)....They went on record to hammer this point,that NO INDIAN MUSLIM WOULD JOIN HANDS WITH MILITANT ORGANIZATIONS LIKE THE AL-QAEDA AND LeT"....Their gripe was that the indian muslims were being made the scapegoat for every blast.....They did accept that there are fringe elements in every nation and every caste,but completely tarring all Indian muslims black wouldnt do.....

They strongly feel,and went on reiterating the fact that almost all theose who are involved with the blasts are across the border radical elements,and not Indians......The point about the entire global jihadi phenomenon being imported into India was discussed,and the leaders again asseverated  that "Indian muslims wouldnt go the extremist way"....They vehemently sweared by the fact that NO INDIAN MUSLIM would embrace the jihadi movement

The question about the Muslims in india getting infuriated with the recent turnout of events in Lebanon was also raised,and the leaders  went on to state that they voice their opinions about lebanon and iraq as citizens of a democracy,and not as Muslims.....They said that hte problems the Muslims face is poverty and hunger,and they as leaders would only fight for the upliftment of muslims,they would fight against the system,but not the country.....Mr.Salman recognized poverty and unemployment as national issues,and not just issues which  the muslim community faces......

One of the leader did admit that poverty is the main reason for the youth's taking up extremism,but then again went on to say that Its just the lunatic fringe elements who are usually NOT CITIZENS OF THE COUNTRY.......One of the audience said that whenever there is a blast,he has to go through the same traume again..i.e he has to reiterate that he has nothing to do with the blasts,and that he is a citizen of the country and wouldnt go against it..They even pinpointed that during the blasts,the indians and muslims were united as INDIANS,and such unity can be seen only in India๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

One of the leaders asserted,that NO INDIAN MUSLIM  is/would be a part of the Al Qaeda network in India....They stated that the indian muslims have nothing to do with the Al-Qaeda,but they are being unfairly targeted..One of the leaders said that the introduction of the quota system in hyderabad has proved to be fruitful,as more Muslim students get employment and thus would be instrumental in the alleviation of poverty....Indians must  unite and eradicate terrorism..The onus must not be only on the muslims,it must be on everyone..The police was being unfair,and apparently catechize the Muslims,for no fault of theirs......

Your views on the comments of the leaders,and about whether Muslims are being unfairly targetted in India๐Ÿ˜Š

Edited by Buffie - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I think it would be better if Muslim leaders (infact everyone) accept that there is are serious problems in Muslim community intead of brushing it under the carpet. Unless you diagnose a disease you can't prescribe the right medicine for it. And if left ignored it proves harmful in the end.
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Buffie

Are the Indian Muslims being targeted after every terrorist attack,was the topic of the debate in NDTV,....1)The panel comprised of Mr.Salman Khurshid, a  senior congress leader 2),The elader of the "Muslim party" of Uttar Pradesh,and 3)a Muslim leader from Hyderabad and the senior journalist of Hindustan Times

The debate in a gist...All three muslim leaders SWEARED that NO INDIAN MUSLIM would be a "gaddar"(traitor)....They went on record to hammer this point,that NO INDIAN MUSLIM WOULD JOIN HANDS WITH MILITANT ORGANIZATIONS LIKE THE AL-QAEDA AND LeT"....(which is not the truth sadly)Their gripe was that the indian muslims were being made the scapegoat for every blast (I think we always blame Pakistanis๐Ÿ˜•).....They did accept that there are fringe elements in every nation and every caste,but completely tarring all Indian muslims black wouldnt do.....

They strongly feel,and went on reiterating the fact that almost all theose who are involved with the blasts are across the border radical elements,and not Indians......The point about the entire global jihadi phenomenon being imported into India was discussed,and the leaders again asseverated  that "Indian muslims wouldnt go the extremist way"....They vehemently sweared by the fact that NO INDIAN MUSLIM would embrace the jihadi movement (but they already have)

The question about the Muslims in india getting infuriated with the recent turnout of events in Lebanon was also raised,and the leaders  went on to state that they voice their opinions about lebanon and iraq as citizens of a democracy,and not as Muslims (The truth is complete opposite of it).....They said that hte problems the Muslims face is poverty and hunger,and they as leaders would only fight for the upliftment of muslims,they would fight against the system,but not the country.....Mr.Salman recognized poverty and unemployment as national issues,and not just issues which  the muslim community faces......

One of the leader did admit that poverty is the main reason for the youth's taking up extremism (Many of the terrorists caught in recent months are doctors, engineers, IT professionals and are not poor by any standards...there are poors in every strata of society but no-one else blows up trains), but then again went on to say that Its just the lunatic fringe elements who are usually NOT CITIZENS OF THE COUNTRY.......One of the audience said that whenever there is a blast,he has to go through the same traume again..i.e he has to reiterate that he has nothing to do with the blasts,and that he is a citizen of the country and wouldnt go against it..They even pinpointed that during the blasts,the indians and muslims (Indians and Muslims?๐Ÿ˜•) were united as INDIANS,and such unity can be seen only in India๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

One of the leaders asserted,that NO INDIAN MUSLIM  is/would be a part of the Al Qaeda network in India....They stated that the indian muslims have nothing to do with the Al-Qaeda,but they are being unfairly targeted..One of the leaders said that the introduction of the quota system in hyderabad has proved to be fruitful ๐Ÿค”,as more Muslim students get employment and thus would be instrumental in the alleviation of poverty....Indians must  unite and eradicate terrorism..The onus must not be only on the muslims,it must be on everyone..The police was being unfair,and apparently catechize the Muslims,for no fault of theirs......

Your views on the comments of the leaders,and about whether Muslims are being unfairly targetted in India๐Ÿ˜Š

So they blamed everyone else for the ills of Muslims except themselves.๐Ÿ˜•

Edited by SolidSnake - 17 years ago
Aparna_BD thumbnail
Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

Buffie,
Great reporting. I would like to say a word or two without getting biased on the topic but first I want the Mods' blessings to carry on this topic on religion. OF course what I have to say is not intentionally rude but not neccessarily all goody-goody.

Abhijit plz do PM me and let me know the point you want to make. I really don't want members stirring up the hornets nest.
insouciance thumbnail
Originally posted by: SolidSnake

So they blamed everyone else for the ills of Muslims except themselves.๐Ÿ˜•

correction...Hindus and Muslims๐Ÿ˜Š

Aparna_BD thumbnail
The problem with politics is , its interlinked closely with religon. Its practically impossible to seperate the two.

Even when India during Indira Gandhi period in the 80's faced serious Sikh Extremism , Sikhs in general got targeted. We had a a discussion on this forum about Khalistan, and sadly we still have some NRI Sikhs living especially in UK and Canada who are in their own "quiet way" dreaming of Khalistan.

While in the 1980's India faced very serious terrorism coming from the Sikh community. Our all Sikhs to blame ??? My mother and her family, (we are Sikh from my mother's side) detested the Bhindrawale and his followers and they were completely anti- Khalistan and till date are proud Indians no matter which part of the world do we reside in. If the Sikh community with in had issues like Extremism, there were level headed , moderate Sikhs who helped India fight the whole Khalistan problem.

Today its Muslims in India who are facing these charges. Can we tar the whole community with the same brush?? No way!!!!!! like we can't with the Sikh community or the Hindu Extermists because of a handfull of extremists.

The issue may exist but its a very small teeny tiny minority from the poor class. I don't doubt the patriotism felt by the Indian Muslims like i never doubted the Sikh Indians living in India.
anjubala thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Aparna;
This is called conditioned reflex. Sometimes it is visceral -like in Pavlov's experiments (Cancer patients get nauseous when they just drive by the hospital where they had chemo; asthmatics get an attack just looking at sandstorm on TV screen. a child starts crying the moment it enters the pediatrist's office where it got childhood shots etc.), Sometimes it is psychological, sometimes it is just prejudice.
When a stimulation is associated with a specific outcome repeatedly, the brain unconciously associates the two.
Linking terrorism with certain ethnic/religious groups is a psychological conditioned reflex. (I am not saying it is fair or valid. I am just saying it exists.) Fortunately these conditioned reflexes can also be unlearned just the way they are learned. It takes time. I remeber Sikhs being targetd for Bhindaranvale and company's bad deeds. It was wrong.But like I mentioned in the earlier post it took collective, tenaceous will of good Sikhs like your mom's family to help the nation unlearn that association between turbans and bus-bombs. It worked then, it would work again for the Muslims. Like I said earlier, fairly or unfairly the onus falls on the targeted community to help the society unlearn. In case of Islam thier task is global but they can do it.

totally agree with you.. the targeted community has to come out and tell society that it is not the whole community that is bad or wrong but just few hard-core sick minded people who have been brain-washed by some sadistic leaders. It takes time but the society comes to know the facts and differences between bad people and the community in general.

insouciance thumbnail

Like I said earlier, fairly or unfairly the onus falls on the targeted community to help the society unlearn. In case of Islam thier task is global but they can do it.

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘...you hit the nail on its head๐Ÿ‘

seema_17 thumbnail
i do think they have been unfairly targetted at times, because i feel that india belongs to muslims, sikhs, christians and all other relgions as much as it does to hindus. they too must have strong patriotic feelings towards india otherwise they wouldn't all be there, sure there must be the odd cases that r there for economic reasons, but i think once u stay in a country u get attached to a country n u would not do anything to harm its system or environment. I kno i am making a general statement, but i am saying this for the majority of indians. there r the odd bad apples in every religion n community, so blame an entire religion or community is completely wrong, and in my opinion every cruel
seema_17 thumbnail
yes i agree there r a few of them that have been involved, but we shld remeber that these bombers r not the actual master minds. these are the common citizens who have been plagued by the normal problems of life like unemployement n ethnocentrism from time to time, n these terrorist organization use these problems of their life in such a way as to brain wash them into believeing their terrorist cause... n believe me not all of these ppl r neccessarily evil, they might just be misguided... i agree we shld not brush it under the carpet... n i wish that instead of playing the "who dunnit" game government n other well meaning insitution shld try to find these individuals who might be prone to becoming terrorists n show them the right way. N i hope that the indian muslims don't take it in the wrong way, i kno it can be very frustrating when the whole world is pointing a finger at u, but instead of resolving these things with violence, which would just enforce a negative view abt them, they shld proceed with peace... when i say peace i dun mean they shld be weak n just sit bak n take everything the world dishes out to them, but lets not forget that even gandhiji helped in getting freedom in a non violent way.... so for a long term solution take a peaceful stand ๐Ÿ˜Š