Portrayal of Women in the shows - Page 2

Posted: 10 years ago
To be honest I've started watching more Pakistani Dramas because they have good, realistic story lines and even though sometimes there is no HEA with the guy and girl, the girl is free from her dictating father/husband/in-laws.
 It's like these women need to have a man in their life or they won't be able to live on. If a guy I was engaged to humiliated me I would throw my ring on his face, give him a slap and walk away.
Even dramas where they show a strong female lead ends its up going back to the same old saas-bahu story. 
Originally posted by -Inferno-

Oh this list can go on and on. 

Makers try to make shows with a unique lead character each time, atleast that's what they promote, until they get her married off and become the typical lead character that has been repeated over and over again on television. 
They make the women seem so dumb and emotional after a certain time that I feel like banging my head on the wall. For example, recently watching Qubool Hai and I can not explain how much it irks me when Zoya is shown to be American (brought up) and yet so dumb!? Like she just stayed with Ayaan just because Asad thought it was right and he handed her to Ayaan. What?! If it was any sane girl she would have refused her so called lover and probably ran back to New York. 
The same goes with the likes of Khushi, Geet, Purvi, Archana, Madhubala etc. All started as today's version of so called women and then turned into piles of cry babies. 
The blame though goes to the audience who don't accept new concepts and just stick to the old rona dhona. I have seen so many good and different shows go off-air thanks to the lack of TRPS generated. 

Also, while we are at it, what is with the MEN in these shows as well? 
Honestly, why are men shown to be rich manhandling bipolar brats that act like girls? I mean, yes, they look good but does that mean that once they say sorry after mistreating you, its okay? 
This goes to the likes of Asad, Arnav, RK etc. All the so called "right kameenas" out there. 

I remember liking this one show called Rishta.com, it was actually interesting and for once, it seemed a bit real. 

if Khushi, Geet, Purvi, Archana, Madhubala r wrong    so those  egoistic hero too who humiliate  dem just bcs   of their stubborn ego .dont know y u leave msk jerk out wen he did same abuse wid heroine , may be a  fan girl ? one of those fan girl who justify  there fev hero's all wrong doing by saying he was angry  

msk , Asad, Arnav, RK etc. r same bcs de all did same   thing , All the so called "right kameenas" out there. 
Originally posted by ANNMT.

if Khushi, Geet, Purvi, Archana, Madhubala r wrong    so those  egoistic hero too who humiliate  dem just bcs   of their stubborn ego .dont know y u leave msk jerk out wen he did same abuse wid heroine , may be a  fan girl ? one of those fan girl who justify  there fev hero's all wrong doing by saying he was angry  

msk , Asad, Arnav, RK etc. r same bcs de all did same   thing , All the so called "right kameenas" out there. 

LOL NO. I am not a fan girl of any of them. And I added "etc" for a reason, sorry that I didn't give enough importance to MSK but that was because I didn't even remember him. 
And if I was a fan girl I wouldn't have mentioned the men in the first place. 
It's only because the actors who play the main leads are good looking the fan girls try to justify their actions. For example on Zee TV theres a show called Doli Armaanon Ki and the main guy is a total a**hole. And the main female lead is a typical DIL letting her husband treat her the way he wants and lets her MIL walk all over her.
All these shows have good starts but because of the TRPs they revert to the old saas-bahu drama. Don't know why TRPs go up when they go back to these stupid storylines.
They show 2 people getting married and the in laws always interfere and cause trouble so why not just move out? 

Originally posted by -Inferno-

LOL NO. I am not a fan girl of any of them. And I added "etc" for a reason, sorry that I didn't give enough importance to MSK but that was because I didn't even remember him. 
And if I was a fan girl I wouldn't have mentioned the men in the first place. 

it's ok , i thot u remeber all  n geet  too so  hero ko kaise  skip kar diya    ,   no worries    i corrected n included him in ur line ðŸ˜† Edited by ANNMT. - 10 years ago
I think Indian Television is setting a new trend From "Hate-Love" themes to "Abusive-Hate" theme. Why don't they experiment with a a Heroine who is Modern in thought word and deed and does not have to compromise with every Damn thing. They could start with dressing them up normally like any girl next door would, and they must stop portraying every girl who dresses up modernly as a vamp or is not fit to be a Bahu because she has no Sanskaar😡. I was and Still a huge fan of IPKKND but Have felt seriously disappointed with the way Arnav Manhandled Khushi and also throwing her out on the poolside to sleep😡. I have never watched Madhubala or Geet so can't comment on it.
Posted: 9 years ago
Some times I wonder if these are S & M loving dudes who are overtly vanilla because SOCIETY. So they write out their fantasies in such silly ways (like make a script out of it). Also, rape, attempted rape, and abuse in the OTP relationship is making rounds again. PUKE. Double puke. 
If you really want the S & M dynamic, there are other ways to write a story. ones that are not misogynisitic. can't really blame the actors who have go to work to pay the bills. but I blame the lazy creatives and the money hungry corporate heads who demand such shitty content. learn from the rest of the world, there are plenty of good romantic plotlines that don't involve assaulting a woman. 
Edited by DonnaHarvey - 9 years ago

You have all put some interesting points up. I was thinking about the same thing watching Bani Ishq Da Kalma on Rishtey

Her husband tried to kill her because he wanted to get rid of her. She avenged herself taking him to jail and even divorced him but then for some reason he came out again and she ended up marrying him again after everything he did. I would have preferred it if that did not happen and she did not marry him again and found someone nicer. She even changed her character for the better but then backtracked afterwards.

There are a lot of points to bring up concerning the character development of women in the shows and their male co leads as well

P.S I hope you don't mind me joining in.
Urghhh I don't even want to talk about Bani anymore. I mean WT*. Everything is wrong in that drama. Seriously taking back the guy who tried to kill you? Just end the drama please
I think the drama has ended now albeit not at the point I would have liked it. But I guess they wanted to tie up some loose ends.

I am content that the episodes I saw were pretty linear in plot.

The male characters there were quite unrealistic

Na aana is des meri laado is another which makes me cringe, fume and yell a lot