Posted: 18 years ago
is animal cruelty a gud ting or a bad thing i h8 it i think animals are cute and no1 shud b cruel 2 dem!!!!!
very true.. they cannot speak for themselves.. also we are more intelligent than the animals.. stricter laws should be imposed to tackle this problem
I feel sad this debate did not get the attention it deserves . Maybe because this forum was new . I hope people learn that we were made to live with harmony with nature , animals , plants , birds .....with other fellow human beings . And to live and let others live . It was just recently my neighbours daughter came running to me in the middle of the night with a 2 month old kitten. She had rescued this poor little thing from the hands of teanage boys who were abusing the kitten physically . They were pulling at the hind legs to see how far they would stretch it apart and she fought with them , rescued them , but her mom did not allow her to bring the kitten home due to cat allergies so she came to me. I am at times shocked at the cruelty going around , with kids starting so young . My poor fur baby( 3 year old Indian mongrel....as you call her ), when i got her from the shelter in Delhi one of her ears had been broken at the cartiledge and also peen clipped off the end .Definately cruelty by some kids on the roadside . I shudder to think what will these kids grow up to be . Those that are cruel to the helpless and week , can never be good people . 
ANIMAL CRUELTY MUST BE STOPPED, NO DOUBT.

BUT SINCE THE MAJORITY OF THIS WORLD IS A FLESH-EATING MAN, IT IS SOMETHING POINTLESS TO BRING OUT AND DISUCSS.
Shriman , No doubt we can't turn the world vegetarian with a few discussions , but we need to make a start somewhere , to realise that around us we don't treat every living being with respect and kindness. To start by looking around our enviorment and start to appreciate the role of every living thing in our life.
TRUE, WE CANNOT TURN THE WORLD INTO VEGETARIAN, BUT THE PEOPLE ARE FORGETTING, THAT WE CAN LIVE WITHOUT ANIMALS. PEOPLE WHO USED TO LIVE IN THE RAMAYAN ERA, LIVED ON WITHOUT EATING SUCH THINGS

ALSO... IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTICE THAT ANIMALS ARE NOT PART OF THE FOOD CHAIN CYCLE AS SOME HAVE CALLED.

WE SHOULD NOTE THAT ALMOST 80% OF INDIANS ARE LIVING WITHOUT MEAT, ETC... THOSE WHO ARE HINDUS.... NOT THE OTHERS

ALSO... THE REASON WHY ANIMALS ARE IN THIS WORLD IS A PART OF THE NATURE... NOT FOR EATING THEM
Originally posted by shriman

WE SHOULD NOTE THAT ALMOST 80% OF INDIANS ARE LIVING WITHOUT MEAT, ETC... THOSE WHO ARE HINDUS.... NOT THE OTHERS

What you stated is not the fact. Infact only 30% of Hindus are vegetarians and even among them, many are Ovo-lacto vegetarians who do not eat meat, but may consume animal products such as eggs and milk.
Here are some compelling arguments about how humans are not designed to digest and ingest meat.

Meat-eaters: have claws
Herbivores: no claws
Humans: no claws

Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue
Herbivores: perspire through skin pores
Humans: perspire through skin pores

Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding
Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding
Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly
Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.
Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat
Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater
Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to pre-digest grains and fruits.
Herbivores: well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits
Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest, grains and fruits

Meat-eaters: have acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Herbivores: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Humans: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains
CAN  WE PROVE THAT ONLY 30% HINDUS ARE VEGETARIANS SINCE THE KALI-YUGA  (MODERN DAY) DEFINIATION OF VEG. ARE THOSE WHO DO NOT CONSUME MEAT, FISH, EGGS, ETC.

MILK SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED TO BE A NON-VEG ITEM.

SINCE MILK IS USED TO OFFER IT TO LORD SHIVA... ALSO.. THE DIFFERENT USAGE AND DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MEAT-EATERS, HUMANS AND HERBIVORS ARE GREAT, BUT SUCH DETAIL IS NOT VITAL.
O.k very interesting discussion , but the topic started was cruelty to animals not vegetarianism vs non - vege . I agree butchery can be seen as a form of cruelty . But lets not divert from the topic of treatment of animals in general . Do you like the way dogs , cats , birds are being treated around you. Lets not YET get into the meat eating vs non meating discussion . That would be entirely a different topic !!!!