Debate Mansion

Ball tampering charges - Your views

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
I don't know much about cricket and i learnt the rules of cricket only through Lagaan when my hubby explained. 😳

So it seems they must be sore loosers. 😳

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ms. Bholi Bhali thumbnail
I think Pak Team's decision of walking out was very right. English umpires have been unfair to South Asian teams for a long time now. They don't give clear outs and they make them go back to pavilion when they are not out. And Ball tampering was totally uncalled. How can an umpire say and be sure of ball tampering. Donald gave the decision without checking with the third umpire.

Anyways, it was a right decision, doesn't matter they lost the match. Self respect is more important then losing for wrong things.

[quote=abhijit shukla] Paks pacers are accused of ball tempering and India/SL spinners are accused of chucking.
I remember as early as in '70s, Willis and Bothom were accused of Ball tempering and they were both Brits.
Correct me if I am wrong but haven't Akram/Yunis gingerly admitted that scraing ball with fingernails is how they invented the reverse swing?[/quote]

Yes they were accused, but how can the umpires charge the totally new guys, for what wasim and waqar did in 1992?? If Wasim Akram and Waqar yunis were playing yesterday's match, and they were charged, it made little sense. But charging then new guys, because two other former players tampered the ball is so not right!!!

And btw, if see the ball, it wasn't tampered. It was 52 overs old, so it was obvious it got old, and injured.

Anyways, I think South Asian teams should raise this point as Anju Di said!!!
Edited by Ms. Bholi Bhali - 17 years ago
Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
I think pakistan's decision was absolutely correct.

Some of the umpires have been doing this for ages with the Asian teams, and it is rediculous.
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I just saw in new reports that Umpires it seems didn't see anyone tempering the ball and their decision to BLAME Pakistani Team was incorrect and criminal, they could have simply changed the ball without blaming anyone. I sympathise with Pakistani team and I think they were justified in protesting. These Gora umpires always target Subcontinent Teams, we don't get targeted bec'se we have the MONEY power but other teams are penalised unfairly.
anjali.nair thumbnail

In this match England was trailing and Pakistan would have won even after the 5-run penalty. But they preferred not to play further and I support that. How could Umpires without any proof penalize a team on another team's appeal? Would the immediate penalizing would have come to the effect if England team was accused?

Even when players from Australia and England were found guilty of ball tampering there cases are called as the 'alleged' incident. It is only players of Indian Subcontinent who get severe punishments. Few years back even Sachin Tendulkar was accused of ball tampering.

As per the ICC's rulebook, Law 5 governing Test-Playing Conditions reads, in relevant part, thus: "The umpires shall retain possession of the match balls throughout the duration of the match when play is not actually taking place. During play umpires shall periodically and irregularly inspect the condition of the ball and shall retain possession of it at the fall of a wicket, a drinks interval, at the end of every over, or any other disruption in play." 

Do umpires do that? If they do then did they ever find any of these accused tampering or shining the ball?

More often I see Cricketers from Indian subcontinent are warned for being offensive on the field without much proof. I remember Allan Donald (South African Cricketer) hurling abuses at Rahul Dravid during a match.  Allan Donald was not even reprimanded. If it was someone from the subcontinent then he would have been fined and banned (from some matches).

anjali.nair thumbnail

Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

From what I read on Cricket.org, they just changed a ball that looked suspicious without actually charging any one bowler. So where do the 'charges' come from?

They gave a 5-run penalty to Pak team and that's when Pakistan refused to play further. That is not the only case. As I mentioned in my last post this is not the first time.

What about Mike Denness-Tendulkar ball tampering controversy? Tendulkar was handed down a suspended one-match ban and a fine by Denness and later ICC cleared him as they found out that Tendulkar was just remving grass from the ball. Why was Denness so hasty?

Our players are unnecessarily penalized for being aggressive like when Virender Sehwag was fined for excessive appealing but Lara was not even warned for his offensive behavior which disrupted the match for 10-15 mins. This is double standard. More 60-70% revenue is generated by South Asian teams.

NKSUDHIR thumbnail
I do agree that Umpires are getting more partial towards Asian Cricket teams which should not be accepted at all. Its not fair with the CRICKET Lovers who make an extra effort to take out time and money to watch the game and come back dissappointed.These issues should be either addressed before or after the game.
If Pakistani Team think England is bringing the Terrorism or racial issues in the SPORTS, IT SHOULD BE STOPPED BEFORE IT GETS SERIOUS. Sport should have no color, cast, region or religion difference. Edited by NKSUDHIR - 17 years ago
lachi thumbnail

Originally posted by: NKSUDHIR

I do agree that Umpires are getting more partial towards Asian Cricket teams which should not be accepted at all. Its not fair with the CRICKET Lovers who make an extra effort to take out time and money to watch the game and come back dissappointed.These issues should be either addressed before or after the game.
If Pakistani Team think England is bringing the Terrorism or racial issues in the SPORTS, IT SHOULD BE STOPPED BEFORE IT GETS SERIOUS. Sport should have no color, cast, region or religion difference.

true

vijay thumbnail
IMHO blaming the Pakistani team on account of Ball Tampering charges without any evidence to prove it. I am sure all the players know that they are continously watched and all their actions recorded so they will surely not do any such mistake in modern times.

However I do NOT agree with the way they protested by staying in the dressing room and not showing up on the ground.

Instead they should have asked for sometime from the umpires so that they can discuss the matter with their senior PCB officials who accompanies the team in their tour, ICC officials and ECB (England Cricket Board) officials.

It seems that some umpires still lives in Pre-Independence Era of the sub-continent when the British used to rule the land. 😆 Someone please WAKE them up.

Cheers,
Vijay
umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

well i also think that the ball-tampering(bt) case is just discrimination and nothing else. i mean the umpires and the english players knew well that the pak. team did not tamper the ball and still gave the english 5 runs for no reason. i think that what bluepink said about the asian teams coming up with a case and presenting it to ICC is the right thing cuz if we dont then ICC will ignore this case and many others of this sort of cases will happen in the future. this case will prove benefitial for us in the future. the bt case is just a way to show discrimination for us. inzy did the right thing when he forfited..anyone of us would have done the same thing.. if we don't act now then we will never get a chance to erase this discrimination.