Users

Frequent Posters

Ephemera thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago

From the Celebrity cafe.com

'Supernatural' Recap: 'Heaven Can't Wait'

By Samantha Ravenscroft, 11/12/2013

A man calls a suicide hotline, but then hangs up the phone instead taking a gun and putting it to his head. He looks at what is assumed to be a picture of his wife and kid and drops the gun back into the dresser. A random guy shows up and zaps the man, turning him into pink goo.

Castiel is working at a convenience store under the name Steve. While cleaning and stocking the store, he sees the newspaper headline about the suicidal man. Cas calls the case in to Dean who heads out to Idaho.

Kevin translated the tablet into the dead language Elamite that no one can read because he couldn't transfer it into English. The dead language is hard to translate but he deciphered one piece about falling angels in the tablets footnotes.

Castiel has been sleeping at the convenience store but plays it off to the manager as he was working late and just stayed at the store. She asks him out on a date and he agrees to it.

Dean goes to check on the scene at the suicidal man's house. He finds out there were three other cases that had the same identical pink goo at the scene and, in each case, they were all unhappy people. The sheriff informs Dean the pink goo is a mix of hair, skin, blood and pretty much every part of a human being.

A girl at a high school is complaining about how her boyfriend dumped her and says she "could just die." At these words the man from earlier who killed the suicidal man comes and zaps her like he did the first man.

Dean shows up at Castiel's job trying to get Cas to go on a hunt with him. Dean gets a phone call about the high school scene and Dean convinces Cas to check out the scene.

Sam brings the Elamite writing to Crowley to see if he can decipher the language which he refuses to do. Sam threatens to give Crowley to Abaddon so Crowley tells Sam to bring him the paper with the language on it, but, instead of deciphering it, he crumples it and throws it in Sam's face.

Dean and Cas arrive at the school scene and Cas is overwhelmed by what he sees. Cas has seen this before in heaven. He tells Dean about a medic type of angel that used this method to kill angels that were dying from battle wounds. These angels kill anyone experiencing any type of pain or suffering.

Sam goes back to Crowley who says he'll translate the language in exchange for a telephone call. Sam initially denies this request but goes to talk to Kevin about it. They decide to get proof that Crowley can translate the Elamite language before they give him his phone call.

Dean drops Cas off to his "date" and gives him dating advice. Cas walks into the house to discover that he was only the babysitter and is not actually going on a date with the manager. As soon as she leaves, the baby starts crying. Cas tries rocking her and singing to calm her down, his rendition of "Believe It or Not" calms her down but the second he tries to put her down she starts crying again. He feels her forehead and finds that she has a fever.

Crowley uses Kevin's blood to make a phone call to Abaddon. Finally, he gets through and finds out what Abaddon is doing to double the number of souls in hell. She is voiding Crowley's contracts. After he ends his call he asks for the Elamite language translations so he can decipher them, saying he's "a man of [his] word." He finds out the spell can't be undone and the angels are stuck on earth.

Dean gets a call from the sheriff telling him the first crime scene where the couple disappeared reveals only the wife's DNA from the pink goo, which means her husband is still alive. Dean sees a picture of the husband and wife in front of his truck which was the same as the truck that pulled into Cas' "date's" driveway. Cas is going to take the baby to the hospital because of a fever when he opens the door and is met by the angel who has been killing humans.

The angel Ephraim says he won't stop until he clears the planet of all suffering. When the baby starts crying, Cas tells Ephraim he won't let him touch her. Ephraim tells him he didn't come for the baby but instead came for Castiel to end his suffering. Castiel keeps him talking while he draws the angel banishing sigil on the window but Ephraim discovers what he's doing and breaks his hand. Dean busts in but is immediately knocked out by Ephraim. Castiel keeps the angel talking while Dean recovers himself and slides Cas an angel sword. Cas kills Ephraim with the sword.

Sam calls Dean to tell him they can't put the angels back in heaven and asks if he's going to tell Cas, which Dean doesn't. Cas tells Dean his concerns about helping the fallen angels but Deana tells him he and Sam will take care of the angels.

When Sam is cleaning up the supplies from the phone call, he notices a syringe is missing and goes to check on Crowley. Crowley is seen with the syringe injecting Kevin's blood into his body. What is Crowley up to? Is he plotting to escape the bunker?

Supernatural airs Tuesday nights at 9 p.m. ET on The CW.

Photo courtesy of The CW

Read more at http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2013/11/supernatural-recap-heaven-cant-wait#WbqYrLUEOYIPcyIX.99
Ephemera thumbnail

Since some of my Twitter followers were kind enough to tell me that they've been missing my "Supernatural" recaps over at HuffPost TV, and since I'm apparently too much of a workaholic to just enjoy the inescapable downtime that comes with unemployment, I figured I'd continue sharing my thoughts on the show via Tumblr " at least until I can trick another publication into paying me for them. 

(I'm also hoping that the exercise will help me get to grips with this confounding site, because I currently view Tumblr the way Ichabod Crane views computers, and it's making me feel very inept.) 

With that caveat and the potential misuse of gifs to look foward to, let's discuss the delightfully gut-wrenching events of "Heaven Can't Wait."

I had a few problems with the last Castiel-centric episode, "I'm No Angel" (mostly due to the troubling consent issues and apparent retconning of Reaper lore), but Misha Collins, much like Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, always manages to elevate uneven material, so I still found Episode 903 to be satisfying overall.

Thankfully, "Heaven Can't Wait" was stronger right out of the gate " especially impressive considering that this was writer Robert Berens' first episode. The plot was focused and well-paced, getting us from Point A to Point B fairly directly and illustrating that a simple, character-driven hour can be just as enjoyable as a high-concept story full of twists. (Indeed, if episodes like "Taxi Driver" have proven anything, it's that making a plot needlessly convoluted generally hinders the show more than it helps.)

This week, we learned exactly what Castiel has been up to since Dean unceremoniously booted him out of the bunker: working (and living) at a Gas-N-Sip convenience store in Idaho, with a manager who provides swooning compliments and infuriatingly vague invitations over to her place for dates that are actually babysitting gigs. 

Sidebar: Although I did genuinely enjoy the episode, I'll admit, Nora's oblique offer for Cas to come over on his night off was a spectacularly unrealistic contrivance that most of us probably saw coming a mile away. It's not uncommon for shows to lay narrative traps that function solely to set up "hilarious" misunderstandings or coincidences, such as the one that left Castiel inadvertently holding the baby " and luckily for "Supernatural," that payoff turned out to be completely adorable.

Television relies on a healthy suspension of disbelief, so while I side-eye any mother who doesn't overtly clarify that she expects someone to babysit her infant and assumes they have some degree of experience or comfort in dealing with kids (let alone a man whom she could only have known for a matter of weeks, who clearly has no social life or nearby family to speak of because he's secretly LIVING IN THE BACK ROOM OF A CONVENIENCE STORE), I'm willing to give her a pass because the result was Castiel singing the theme song to "The Greatest American Hero" to stop a baby from crying. Cuteness trumps logic every time.

"Heaven Can't Wait" offered us heartbreaking insight into Castiel's newly human existence, and with markedly more subtlety than "I'm No Angel." Cas might not have been taking shelter in an alley in the pouring rain overnight this time around, but as Ephraim noted, his pain was audible from miles away. He's obviously still wrestling with the guilt of his past failures, even as he tries to put a brave face on being homeless and directionless and cut off from both his heavenly support system and his human one. 

I love that Cas clearly does revel in the mundane aspects of humanity (it was glorious to see him mimicking the coffee drinking duo and being honestly proud of getting to prepare food) and doesn't look down on menial tasks such as taking inventory and nuking nachos " finding beauty in the simple realities of living " but it's obvious that appreciating mortal life is not the same as having a clear sense of purpose or feeling of belonging. Whether he's willing to acknowledge it or not, since he's so intent on self-flagellation, he is above the life he's chosen for himself " he's been resurrected multiple times for a reason, and it's not to clean up accidents in the men's room. 

Sadly, Dean Winchester (AKA the poster-boy for emotional repression and staunch avoider of chick flick moments) is not the ideal person to gently coax Castiel into admitting that living in the back room of a convenience store kind of sucks and that it's reasonable to be pissed and frustrated and frankly terrified about being alone and stuck in a vulnerable human body where sexually abusive Reapers might tie him up and stab him at any moment.

On the whole, Dean was spectacularly unsympathetic to Castiel's plight in "Heaven Can't Wait," which is only vaguely excusable because it's so patently obvious (to me, at least) that he's currently being crushed under the weight of his own guilt and his complete inability to help either Cas or Sam in their current situations.

Not only did Dean fail to confide the truth about Ezekiel to Castiel, someone who would have every reason to understand, empathize and properly advise Dean about that troubling course of action, he also piled another lie of omission on top of it by chickening out of telling Castiel that Metatron's spell seems irreversible. Bad form, Dean!

I appreciated that the script didn't feel the need to beat us over the head with Dean's ongoing internal struggle " Ackles is one of the most gifted actors currently working, especially when it comes to conveying emotional nuances with the subtlest shift of expressions " and everything, from the strain in his voice when "nonchalantly" telling Sam that he had the case covered alone to that guilty look on his face when Castiel climbed out of the Impala, spoke of the burden he's masochistically decided to carry alone.

Still, I'm hoping that next week's episode (which will supposedly delve into Dean's past in a way we haven't seen before) will allow us to really explore Dean's current mindset and the toll that his deceit is taking on him. Secrets always come out on "Supernatural," and even in an episode that didn't feature an appearance from Ezekiel, his presence is clearly still looming large in all the things that Dean's not saying to the people closest to him.

He might have a hard time expressing what he's feeling (or realizing just how much weight his words apparently carry for Cas, whose metaphorical feathers were clearly still ruffled after being told he "sucked" at hunting) but Dean still has subtle ways of showing he cares without saying it, like his cute advice on how Castiel should dress and behave on his "date."

I still would've liked to have seen the actual conversation in which Dean kicked Cas out of the bunker " he apparently took it a lot better than I would've, especially with no apparent explanation " and I kind of wish that Castiel had given Dean more of a hard time over it, considering how shitty his life has been since he fell. It seemed like we might get a taste of righteous indignation when Dean first arrived at the Gas-N-Sip and Castiel pointed out how hard it was when he lost his grace, but he made no attempt to guilt-trip his friend for turning him out in the cold, which I suppose is further illustration that angels (even fallen ones) are far better at forgiveness than humans. But really, would setting him up in a warded safe-house a few states over have been so hard? As much as Dean and Cas have in common, between monumental daddy issues and a terminal inability to believe that they're worthy of happiness, it would be nice if they'd go back to talking about their insecurities instead of trying to outdo each other in the self-loathing Olympics. 

The introduction of a heretofore unknown subset of angels " the Rit Zien or "Hands of Mercy" " made Ephraim an interesting antagonist; it makes sense that not all angels were run-of-the-mill soldiers in heaven, and having Ephraim possess another zealot who was brainwashed by Buddy Boyle was a nice touch. Hopefully we'll get to see more new angelic superpowers in upcoming episodes.

The hour's B-plot was also surprisingly satisfying, with Sam and Kevin being forced to turn to Crowley for lack of a better translator. This resulted in an unexpected and hilarious demonic call between Crowley and Abaddon, in which there was a lot of posturing and metaphorical dick measuring, and which apparently left Crowley feeling a little inferior.

I can't imagine why Crowley would've wanted to steal some of Kevin's blood and inject himself with it (and am also dubious that Sam and Kevin wouldn't have noticed the missing needle sooner), unless he's somehow trying to finish what Sam started in the church and cure himself, but that still doesn't explain why he specifically wanted Kevin'sblood instead of Sam's. Could he exert some kind of control over Kevin by having some of his magical prophet juice? Or can he perhaps sense Ezekiel in Sam and wants to avoid any angelic contamination? Mysteries abound ... 

The unexpected appearance of Abaddon was a welcome treat, allowing both Alaina Huffman and Mark Sheppard to chew the scenery with their usual vigor " although the bigger treat was seeing the growing humanity in our snarky King of Hell. The show isn't rushing Crowley's transition and that seems like a wise move; he's the boys' most enduring antagonist and his evolution deserves a light touch " especially after his "Girls" meltdown. We know that there's something different about him this season, and it's not just his wounded pride, but I'm impressed that the writers haven't been overplaying their hand with him so far.

Overall, "Heaven Can't Wait" felt like one of the strongest episodes of Season 9 yet, balancing character growth with measured momentum on the mythology front. Good job, Robert Berens!

imageimage

Almas. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I didn't like dis epi
BTW r we allowed to discuss here? Or juz reviews?
Edited by iluvOriginals - 10 years ago
flutterby thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
almy... L... has given another thread... i think we can discuss there... ðŸ˜³

Lets Speculate : 9x06

this is just for online reviews
Ephemera thumbnail
Flutter is right hon
let's discuss in the speculate thread Al
HaymurS thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Supernatural S09E07: "Bad Boys"
By MaryAnn Sleasman
site-tv.com

In all honesty, as much as I love
Supernatural's flashback episodes,
they rarely reveal anything
particularly new or enlightening about
the Winchesters these days, and "Bad
Boys" wasn't much of an exception.
Dean's life is made of duct tape and
disappointment. Sam's is made of
superglue and lies. So many lies.
Even something as relatively
harmless as what Dean was doing for
those two random months back in
1995: LIES.
Dean summed it up best when he
recalled how the story that he and
Douchey Dad John told Sam was
simply "the story" until it just
became the story"the truth, as
fabricated, endorsed, and accepted
by the Winchesters. Sort of how big
bro is currently forcing the "story" of
Sam's survival to desperately enter
the accepted Winchester truth zone
as well. Good luck with that one;
miiight want to stop being a
freaking WEIRDO about things.
"Everybody's fine with heading out to
the Catskills?" JEEZ, DEAN, IT'S LIKE
YOU WANT SAMMICH TO FIGURE IT
OUT.
Don't we all, though?
Get with it, Sam, plz thnx.
So anyway, once upon a time in
1995, the Wee Dean lost the food
money John left when he abandoned
his children in a skeevy motel to go
hunt a rugaru, and the Wee Dean
decided to shoplift some PB&J. He
was caught and taken to a boy's
home, and when Father of the Year
John Winchester got the call, he left
Dean there because John's the
actual worst. Also, character-wise,
I'm not entirely sure that made
sense, because wasn't it partially
John's paranoia about ol' Yellow
Eyes that made him keep his kids
around even though he clearly didn't
have time to not be an awful father,
what with slaughtering monsters and
all? Maybe I'm making that up. It's
been nine seasons, yo, sometimes
it's hard to remember what actually
happened and what was merely
discussed with fellow fans on Gchat
at three in the morning.
The late, somewhat great, John
Winchester has always been a hard
character for me to get behind. As far
as hunters go, John was among the
best, and he certainly has a claim to
being lumped in with the heroes on
this show, but he's also one of the
most flawed characters on the
Supernatural roster and when we talk
about how Sam and Dean couldn't
have become the men they are today
without him, that's a comment that
could be taken both positively and
negatively.
"Nobody bad touched me, burned me
with their smokes, or beat me with a
metal hanger"I call that a win." You
guys, my jaw dropped when Dean
said that. That's some textbook
emotionally abused child
rationalization right there. Personally,
I've long held the belief that John
Winchester was an abusive father...
just not in the sense that we tend to
default to when we think of how an
abusive parent acts.
Sam and Dean have all the hallmarks
of emotionally abused children, but
given what we saw in "Bad Boys""
which may not have been mind-
blowing, but was still pretty
insightful, especially since most of
the show's past flashbacks have
focused primarily on Sam"Dean's in
his mid-thirties and he's still
struggling to come to terms with the
turns that his life, and by
association, Sam's life, have taken.
He'll condemn John, then defend him
in his next breath. Some part of Dean
clearly recognizes the wrongness of
the environment he was raised in and
the way John acted toward him, as
illustrated by the way he's interacted
with children throughout the entire
series"from that mute kid in "Dead
in the Water" to Ben Braeden to
Creepy Timmy in this week's episode.
Even Dean's interactions with pre-
Stanford Sam in other flashback
episodes have shown a near-total
rejection of the lessons taught at the
John Winchester School of
Horrendous Parenting.
At the same time, Dean and Sam are
by no means functional, well-
adjusted people (because where's
the fun in that?) and one of the most
telling tragedies that came to light in
"Bad Boys" is that we saw how the
positive lessons Dean gleaned during
his time at Sonny's home have
backfired due to their incompatibility
with what was drilled into him from
the age of four. Did anybody else
cringe a little when Sonny told Dean
to "Do what's best for you, even if it
hurts the ones you love"? Like...
maybe stuffing an angel into your
unwilling brother in order to keep him
alive"without his knowledge"even
though he was kind of okay with not
being alive anymore and we've been
holding our breath for like, seven
episodes waiting for the inevitable
soul-crushing fallout?
Dean's compulsive need to keep Sam
around stems from his own personal
wants, sure, but also from a lifetime
of being assigned that very task: He
wasn't merely told to keep Sam safe,
he was practically programmed to
always, always, always put Sam first.
Dean's self-worth is so tied up in
whether or not Sam has a pulse that
over and over and over again he's
made terrible decisions with that
singular goal in mind"and he'll
continue to make terrible decisions
because he can't help it. Dean's
miserable right now, and a part of
him is certainly regretting the whole
Ezekiel thing, but he still can't bring
himself to face the alternative.
Teen Dean came close, though. He
said he wanted to be a mechanic
because after you fix the cars and
they drive away, they aren't your
problem anymore. Dude was so not
just talking about cars. Perhaps"and
this is just my face making words
that may or may not make sense"in
some small way that Dean will deny
forever, Sam running off to Stanford
when he was 18 wasn't actually the
worst thing that ever happened to
Dean.
Anyway, of course John came to
fetch Dean before the big high
school dance. Of course he did. Life-
ruiner. But hey, at least Dean's
teenage crush is still alive. And
human. (Sorry, Sam.)
Even though it largely just confirmed
an awful lot of what we already knew
"that even happy Winchester
memories are actually fraught with
emotional compromise""Bad Boys"
also, finally, gave us an honest look
at what makes Dean Winchester tick.
It may not be pretty, and to call it
"noble" is to severely misunderstand
how emotional abuse and
manipulation works, but it is
completely human and
understandable, and when Dean
makes his unfortunate life choices
and we all go "W*F ARE YOU
THINKING?" I believe that now, we all
know exactly what Dean's thinking.
OMG I'm gonna cry again. #help
CASE NOTES
- Teen Dean got good grades and
made the wrestling team and I
can't... stop... crying. The werewolf
bruises also really broke my feels.
- So Sonny taught Dean how to get
out of handcuffs with a paperclip,
eh? Aww.
- Welp, I'm never showering again.
THAT WAS SO AWESOME AND NOT
OKAY. I was expecting more gore
with the lawnmower, though. I mean,
it was a lawnmower.
- For a second, the fianc and I
thought Sonny was played by Josh
Brolin too... but it's actually Blake
Gibbons from a bunch of stuff,
including General Hospital . Love the
'stache!
HaymurS thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Supernatural 9.07 -Bad Boys
Posted by
Vanessa Chaffee
site-winchesterbros.com

Before we get into this recap let's
talk about the "Previously". The only
thing it was missing was a clip from
After School Special, because what is
a flashback without a flash of Brock
Kelly? Aside from that, this
"Previously" was basically might as
well have been called "That's it,
that's the show".
And now the "Now".
Upstate New York. Adolescent boys
running around at night, tripping over
their own feet while trying to escape
from... another boy who is way
smaller than them. They aren't
scared; they're just playing that
version of Hide-and-Seek that's
really Hide-because-we-don't-
actually-like-you-and-Seek. The boy
they're hiding from, Timmy, is
searching the barn for them when a
grown up actually appears. The adult,
Jack, yells out that the boys need to
pack it in and get indoors, they better
beat their feet or he's gonna beat
their butts. His threat dies on his lips
as the air turns frigid and the
dormant tractor parked nearby turns
on. He screams as it bears down on
him, driven by no one. He stops
screaming when it picks right
through him like a bail of hay.
In the bunker, Sam is having one of
those rare moments to himself and
does what any 30 year-old, red-
blooded male does when faced with
this place all to himself: he picks a
worn copy of The Marvelous Land of
Oz by L. Frank Baum off the
bookshelf and sits down for a page
through. His story time is interrupted
by the buzzing of a phone.
Remember when Dean's phone
played Smoke on the Water instead
of just vibra-buzzing? Song ringtones
should become a thing again.
Sam is pretty sure the person on the
other end of the call has the wrong
number, because no one named "D-
Dawg" lives there. Except that he
actually does. Dean Winchester
comes bounding through the room to
take over the phone call. After he
hangs up, Sam naturally wants to
know what that was all about. Dean
refreshes Sam's memory about the
time they were 11 going on 12 and
16 years old and spent two months
apart; Sam at Bobby's and Dean
apparently lost on a hunt while John
went off on a Rugaru hunt, but what
really happened was Dean in all his
teenage invincibility and arrogance
lost the money John left them for
food in a poker game.
He's gotten way better since then.
He shoplifted some sandwich fixings
because job #1 is make sure you
follow the care and feeding of Samuel
Winchester rule book. Unfortunately,
teenchester Dean was not as slick as
he is now, got pinched and ended up
at a halfway house for delinquent
boys. Now Sonny, the guy that ran
the farm, needs Dean's help. Which
means that Dean has kept in touch
with this dude, behind Sam's back all
this time. Sam wants to know why no
one told him before now, Dean says
that it was their dad's idea to lie and
eventually the lie became the truth.
Okay, now hold on. Let's set aside
the fact that up until a few years ago
the boys had never heard of a Rugaru
and now suddenly John was hunting
one almost 20 years ago and
neglected to jot in all down in the
journal his sons have studied front to
back, lather-rinse-repeat since
season 1? Whatever, I'll let that slide.
What I can't wrap my head around is
that we're supposed to believe that
Dean was MISSING ON A HUNT at 16
and super smart Sam Winchester,
who already had a gun to protect
himself from the thing in the closet,
just accepted that? Never mind that
Sam and Bobby never once acted like
they lived together for two months in
the spring of '95. Somehow, Sam
spent 8 weeks cooped up with Bobby
and Bobby's fantastic collection of
books, but what? Forgot? Blocked it
out? And don't even get me started
on Dean using his real first and last
name and John allowing it.
Anyway, the swing up to the
Kaaterskill Falls region to see what's
going on. Sam is confused, their dad
could track anything yet he couldn't
find his son at a farm down the road
from Allegra Goodman, but Dean
corrects him real quick: John knew
where he was and left him there to
learn his lesson. Sam is about to
rage against the machine, but Dean
stops him; he lost the money, it was
his lesson to learn, his peg or two to
drop down from.
As they discuss this outside the
farmhouse Timmy, the be-speckled
odd-duck, creepily watches them
from an upstairs window. Because
that's what children do in the horror
genre.
The woman that answers the door
when they knock, Ruth, isn't really
sure what to make of them. Dean
says they're friends of Sonny's,
which for her translates to prison
thugs. She lets them in reluctantly,
but not before making them take
their shoes off at the door. No way
she's letting a couple of ex-cons
muddy up her floors. Sam is
unimpressed with the newly acquired
inference that Sonny's done a tour or
two behind bars. Dean pulls him
back, considering they were
previously wanted by the FBI (twice),
have run credit card scams for years,
murdered people and played their
respective parts in the apocalypse
they hardly have a sock-footed leg to
stand on.
Upon entering the living room, Dean
spies an old, ratty couch and stares
off into the distance in its general
direction. Flashback to teenage Dean,
cuffed and sulking on the same
couch. The deputy that dragged him
there says his dad won't come for
him, they can't keep him in county
because he's a minor, but the judge
is on a fishing trip and hasn't been
home for a few days, figures Sonny's
Boy Depot would be a good parking
place for the kid. I'm sure the
pulsing black eye he has might also
have something to do with him not
wanting to babysit his snarky charge.
He does get the last word, so to
speak, because he leaves Dean
handcuffed and walks away with the
key. No worries, Sonny can pick a
lock before you can say Sam
Winchester is the best lock picker in
the lower 48.
While he frees Dean from is shackles
he spies a trail of bruises running up
and down Dean's forearms and
wrists; concerned he asks if the
officer did it, Dean scoffs. He asks if
his father did it and Dean puts that
assumption directly to bed. In an
unusual flash of honesty Dean tells
Sonny a werewolf did it. Sonny
doesn't press the subject. Dean
wants to know what kind of a place
this is, Sonny tells him it's for boys
like him to learn the value of hard
work and responsibility. Huh. These
are hardly new concepts to Dean
take-your-brother-outside-fast-as-
you-can Winchester.
The flashback fades out to adult
Dean with a fond half-smile
threatening to emerge. Sonny comes
in, a little more weathered and
leathered, but still the same dude.
He's wearing plaid, so he's gotta be
good people. He gives Dean a run
down of Jack's death and tells them
that weird stuff has been happening
around the farm: flickering lights,
slamming doors, all the classic haunt
markers. The brothers split up, Sam
upstairs, Dean to the grounds.
Dean heads out to the barn to give it
a once over with his trusty EMF
meter. The detector definitely detects,
but despite Dean's taunting, no
ghosts appear. He does, however,
find Timmy quietly lurking around.
Dean asks him what he's doing in
the barn alone and Timmy explains
that he and his caped crusader
action figure, Bruce the Monster
Smasher, are monster hunting. Dean
accepts this. What he doesn't accept
is the weaksauce handshake Timmy
offers up upon introductions. Dean
can't let this kid go out into the
world with a wishy-washy nice to
meet you and teaches Timmy how to
shake hands like a man. Good
advice, Winchester. The beautiful
thing about Dean Winchester is he's
pretty much always been tough and
at the very least fringe level cool, but
the thought of mocking a frail oddball
like Timmy never even crosses his
mind.
Meanwhile, Sam is poking around
upstairs and finds an old bed with
familiar sigils carved into the
bedposts, he crouches down and
sees that Sonny gives the boys that
stay there a sense of ownership by
labeling the beds with masking tape
strips with their names on them. Sam
starts pulling strips off and eventually
he gets what he was looking for:
Dean W.
He doesn't get much time to mull it
over before his inner ghost detector
pings, but it's just Ruth. She's
praying. Praying that the ghost that's
haunting them will move on. Well
that saves Sam from having to
convince her or lie to her. Leave it to
a catholic to already believe, that's
how we roll. She tells Sam about the
old owners of the farm, how the
husband went all Mahogany on
midnight meat train on his wife
because he thought his wife had
been sleeping with Jack. The guy
spent the rest of his life in prison.
The rest of his life has ended and as
far as is concerned he came back
from the grave to end Jack's.
That night, while the boys head to
the grave in question for a good ol'
salt and burn, Sam's inquisitive
nature takes hold again and he asks
Dean why their dad would want to lie
to Sam about this time in Dean's life,
was it really that bad. Dean shrugs it
off, no one snuck into his bed
unwanted at night, no one gave him a
Bender family Christmas present and
no one gave him the mommy dearest
motivational treatment so as far as
he figures it was a win-win-win.
Ave Maria plays while Ruth takes a
nice, warm, relaxing bath. When the
air goes cold and the plastic curtain
asphyxiates the life out of her it's
way less nice. Sonny hears her
screaming and tries to barge in to
help her, but the door won't give. So
much for that salt and burn.
Sam and Dean, none the wiser at this
point, stop at a diner on their way
out of town. Sam says he's fine with
a quick stop at the Shakeshack, but
Dean insists on them getting the
best banana pancakes on the east
coast. Pretty sure the pretty waitress
might be part of an ulterior motive.
Sure enough, we get a flashback of
teen Dean and Sonny celebrating
Dean's one-month anniversary on
the farm. He's doing well, Sonny has
some concerns about Dean carving
occult symbols into his bedposts and
being shady about his past, but he's
getting solid grades, has a place on
the wrestling team. Stability looks
good on him. The young waitress
that comes to take his order seems
to think so, too.
In the present, Dean is making some
serious eyes at the grown-up version
of Robin the waitress. She's drawing
a blank. He gives his name and she
dimly recalls him being one of the
many, many boys to cruise through
Sonny's over the years. Dean
reminds her that he used to get
guitar lessons from her mother.
Yeah, well, so did a lot of boys. In
fact it influenced Robin so much that
in memory of her mother she does
the same.
Swing and a miss and a miss and a
miss, Winchester. Thoroughly
embarrassed, Dean bolts. Sam, ever
the smug little brother totally wants
the story, but Dean remains mum.
Thankfully, he's saved by the bell,
it's Sonny calling to tell them about
Ruth. Great for Dean, kinda a bummer
for Ruth.
Sam and Dean head back to the farm
to see what they missed. The only
info Sonny has is that he couldn't
open the door despite there being a
no lock rule on the farm, which must
be really fun for a bunch of hormonal
teenage boys, and that Ruth's ever
present rosary is missing. Dean goes
off to question a few of the boys and
finds them bullying a cowering
Timmy. Knowing what it's like to take
care of a geeky lil boy, he regulates
on the two and gives Timmy a few
pointers on how to stand up to the
Johnny Lawerences and Fred
O'Bannions of the world.
Sam takes a guided tour of the place
and finds Sonny's wall o'
achievements. On that wall is a
certificate for Stone Cold Dean
Winchester - Wrestling Champ. You
think you know a guy. While Sam
rolls this over in his brain Regina
George and Nancy Downs are tending
to then lawn. Guess what turns up in
the mower blades? That's right
Ruth's rosary. Guess who's dumb
enough to stick his hand up in the
blades and make hand salad? Right
again. And if you guessed Timmy
was watching from the window give
yourself yet another pat on the back.
Speaking of pats on the back, why is
there a corpse-y hand on Timmy's
shoulder?
For our next flashback, Dean walks
into the living room and sees present
day Robin tuning her guitar while she
waits for Timmy to come start their
lesson. He remembers sitting on that
same couch, telling Robin how he
had dreams of becoming a rockstar
or a mechanic (that sound you hear?
The sound of millions of Dean
Winchester headcanons getting
validated). Dean tells her that cars
are amazing things, complicated
puzzles that you put together and
then send off into the world never to
think about again. Sounds kind of like
hunting in a way. He tells her that he
doesn't want to go into the family
business and she commiserates, she
doesn't want to take over her father's
diner.
Dean also remembers Robin giving
him his very first kiss. Maybe that's
why he thinks he's Batman...
Dean pulls himself out of the memory
and tells Robin he doesn't have time
to explain but she needs to trust him
that she has to get the hell outta
dodge. Now why would she trust
Dean Winchester again? Dean is
pumped that she remembers him,
because man, what a blow to a guys
ego that your first love doesn't
remember making out with you
constantly for like a month straight?
That's like six years in teenager
time.
Once again, he reiterates that now is
not the time for a round of I-bailed-
on-you-and-this-is-why and tries to
usher her out of the house, but
whatever's got its grip on Timmy
isn't not on board with that. The
temp drops, the doors jam and
Timmy is sorry but he can't control
it. Sam rushes in to explain what he
discovered in the barn, but Dean just
wants Sam to get out to safety, too
bad the door slams shut in Sam's
face trapping him inside with the
other three. Quickly they sprinkle salt
around Robin and try to figure out
what to do.
The darkness, the flickering lights,
the frozen breath, the EMF meter,
grave digging, salting the earth,
burning the bones, the seasoned and
toasted grave not being the real
culprit, Dean's amulet. It's like 2006
all over again and I just want to roll
around in it forever.
Sam knows that the ghost is Timmy's
mother. Timmy tells them that his
mom died saving him from their car
crash, she pushed him out right
before the all shark vs. oxygen tank.
He was alone and scared and his
pain called out to her spirit and
she's been protecting him from
danger ever since, but being dead
and bitter has really done a number
on her sanity and she's just
punishing people left and right, pretty
soon she's going to off someone just
for telling Timmy "thanks" instead of
"thank you". Timmy's gotta let her
go, has to make her understand that
he can take care of himself and that
she can rest. It's hard, and Dean
gets that, but he tells Timmy
sometimes you gotta hurt the ones
you love in order to look out for #1.
Which is interesting on a few levels.
For one, it kind of brings Dean
selfishness about Sam to the fore.
Making sure Sam is safe and alive
isn't just about taking care of Sam,
Dean will do whatever it takes, even
if the risk is hurting Sam or being
hurt by Sam to keep Sam around.
Because that's what Dean wants. On
the other hand we also learn that
Sam was the reason Dean chose to
leave the farm when John finally
came for him. Sonny was willing to
fight for Dean to stay, and let's be
real, with the way the writers have
ret-conned John's character over the
past couple years Sonny would have
had one hell of a compelling case.
But as Dean gazed out of the
window, school dance ready and full
of young love, all he saw was his
little brother hanging out the Impala
window in oversized flannel and that
was it. He said it best himself, there
is nothing, past or present, that he
would put in front of Sam.
As they leave the farm, it all falls
together for Sam that this wasn't a
punishment for Dean, this place had
been salvation. This was the place
that would have set Dean on a path
of normality. And he gave it up for
Sam. Then, now and always. Not only
does Sam get this, he appreciates it
and appreciates Dean all over again.
Ephemera thumbnail
from hypable.com

By Caitlin Kelly (@purplehrdwonder) at 12:10 am, November 20, 2013 | Reviewed by Lexxie Ehrenkaufer

• Share on Tumblr

Supernatural season 9, episode 7 "Bad Boys" aired tonight, featuring a look into a previously unknown time in Dean's past. Check out our recap below.

So what happened in Supernatural season 9, episode 7 "Bad Boys"?

Present day

• The episode opens with a typical gruesome death as a man is impaled by a broken down tractor that powered up all on its own.
    • Men of Letters bunker: "D-Dog" Dean gets a call from Sonny, the overseer of a boys' home/farm that Dean was sent to when he tried to steal food after losing money John had left behind in a card game.
    • Sam had been told a different story so is suitably confused " as is the audience, since not only was John on a rugaru hunt when the brothers only learned about rugarus in season 4, but it also seems unlikely Dean would ever gamble with money needed to look after Sam.
    • The brothers head to Sonny's Home for Boys where they meet Ruth, one of the farm's managers. Sonny tells Sam and Dean that he's been noticing classic signs of a haunting. It's been a while since we've had a straight up ghost hunt, so count us in.
    • In the house, Sam finds Dean's bed, recognizable by the sigils carved into the frame. He then runs into Ruth, who tells him about a murder that happened on the farm. The murderer died in prison the year before, making him the most likely suspect for our vengeful spirit.
    • Meanwhile, Dean sweeps the barn where the most recent death occurred with his EMF meter (boy have we missed old school Supernatural). He eventually runs into a boy, Timmy. Dean, as always, is great with kids; Timmy tells him that he was in the barn when the accident happened, and it got very cold before the tractor started on its own.
    • Sam and Dean waste no time in digging up the deceased murderer's grave and salting-and-burning him. Of course, we're only 15 minutes into the episode at this point, so that was too easy. And yep, the next day the spirit drowns Ruth in the bathtub.
    • On their way out of town " because the Winchesters were uncharacteristically sloppy and didn't confirm that their salt-and-burn solved the problem " the brothers stop at a diner where Dean knew the waitress, Robin. She says she doesn't remember him, though, and Dean quickly flees, much to Sam's confusion.
    • When Sonny calls about Ruth's death, the brothers head back to the farm. While Sam and Sonny go to look through employee records, Dean stops a couple of bigger kids from picking on Timmy. He tells Timmy that he just needs to stand up to the bullies, which can't end well.
    • When the boys who picked on Timmy later do yard work, the lawn mower jams (we know where this is going). Timmy watches from the house as the boys find Ruth's missing rosary beads stuck in the blades. As they try to pull the beads out, the mower turns on.
    • Sam has been going through Timmy's file and thinks that they're looking at a case of ghost possession. Dean goes looking for Timmy but finds Robin. She remembers Dean after all, to the surprise of no one.
    • Sam heads for the barn where he finds a child's drawings of a car accident and a fire. It turns out that Timmy and his mother were in a car crash. While Timmy got out, the car blew up with his mother still in it. But she returned to Timmy as a protective spirit.
    • When Dean tries to get Robin to leave, the spirit seals the house. Sam arrives just in time for the spirit to lock the door behind him as well. Timmy appears and says he can't control his mother. The brothers quickly realize Timmy himself is her anchor.
    • After the spirit attempts to hurt Robin and immobilizes Sam and Dean, Dean convinces Timmy that he needs to let his mother go. Timmy tells his mother that she has to go and he will be okay. This allows his mother to move on with some very cool special effects.
    • After bidding farewell to Robin and Sonny, Sam tells Dean that he realizes how good the farm had been for him. Dean insists that he couldn't wait to leave. Sam thanks Dean for always being there and having his back, but Dean cuts off the chick flick moment and the brothers drive off.
  • Flashbacks

• When Dean was 16, he apparently looked nothing like Brock Kelly, who played Dean in season 4s "After School Special," when Dean was 18. Anyway, after Dean was caught trying to steal food, John told the cops to let Dean rot for losing the food money. Because the show insists on throwing postmortem shade at John Winchester at every opportunity.
    • After Dean has been at Sonny's for a month, Sonny takes Dean to dinner at a diner. Sonny got the charges against Dean dropped. Meanwhile Dean has been making good grades and even made the wrestling team. Sonny asks about the markings on Dean's bed; Dean gets defensive about the family business, so Sonny tells him about being in a gang, which got him thrown in jail. Dean also meets Robin for the first time.
    • Robin comes by the house. Dean confesses that he doesn't really like his life with his dad, but he's gotten used to it. Wait, is this teenage Dean or teenage Sam?
    • Dean then admits that he wants to either be a rock star or work with cars " a desire for a normal life that seems to disregard teenage Dean's well-established hero worship of his father and love of hunting as well as his later frustration at Sam's desire for a normal life.
    • Robin gives Dean his first kiss, and they have a whirlwind romance over the next month. But the night Dean is supposed to take Robin to a school dance, John arrives to pick Dean up for a job. Sonny offers to fight for Dean to stay, but Dean looks out the window and sees Sam in the front seat so decides to go " possibly the first recognizable Dean moment of the flashbacks. Dean thanks Sonny for all he did and that's that.
  • Ephemera thumbnail

from Screencrush.com

SUPERNATURAL' REVIEW: "BAD BOYS"

by Kevin Fitzpatrick November 20, 2013 10:20 AM
    Share on Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    The CW

Supernatural' season 9 summons its seventh episode of the year in "Bad Boys," as Dean returns to a boys' home he spent time at as a teenager, now haunted by a vengeful ghost.

Last week's Supernatural' episode, "Heaven Cant's Wait," saw Dean partnering with a still-human Castiel to investigate a series of bizarre murders, while Sam attempted to enlist Crowley's help in translating the mysterious angel tablets, so what does the seventh season 9 episode bring? What strange and unexpected challenges will the Winchesters face next?

Read on for your in-depth recap of everything you need to know about Supernatural' season 9 episode 7, "Bad Boys"!

In upstate New York, a group of young boys flee a smaller, bespectacled boy in a nighttime game of hide-and-seek, before a caretaker follows them into a barn and reminds them of approaching bedtime. Suddenly, all the usual ghostly occurrences materialize, as the tractor within the barn comes to life on its own, trapping the man against the barn door and impaling him through.

Back at the base, Dean takes a call from a man named Sonny, learning that he might have a job for the Winchesters. Dean admits to Sam that he had been caught stealing years earlier and sent to live in a boys' home during a two-month period he'd disappeared, though he and John never told Sam the truth about the absence. When the two arrive in New York, however, the house's other caretaker, Rosa, harshly greets them, wondering if they're friends of Sonny from his days in prison.

Dean remembers first being brought to the home as a boy, quickly finding that the laid-back Sonny was more interested in helping him than providing a stern hand. The present Sonny arrives to the scene, informing them about the caretaker Jack's mysterious accident. Sam investigates the house to find Rosa praying for a ghost to depart, believing the spirit to be the house's former owner, who held a grudge against Jack and died in prison a year earlier. Dean checks out the barn, finding only the young boy in glasses, Timmy, who confirms the ghostly apparitions and pretends to fight them off with his action figure.

Sam and Dean burn the bones of the house's prior owner, believing the ghost would die with him, though that night the spirit drowns Rosa in the bathtub. The next day over breakfast, Dean eyes his waitress, Robin, remembering how Sonny had once taken him to the same diner and had been served by the younger girl, while discussing Dean's strange satanic habits. Back in the present, Robin pretends not to recognize Dean, before Sonny calls the Winchesters about Rosa's death.

Back at the house, Dean breaks up a number of older boys bullying Timmy, ruling out that they might have had anything to do with Rosa's death. A short while later, Robin arrives to the house to give the boys guitar lessons, though when one of them finds Rosa's rosaries jammed in a lawnmower blade, Timmy seems to will the mower to start, severing the boy's fingers.

Sam discovers that Timmy had been found in an abandoned building with no parents to claim him, leading the boys to believe he might be possessed by a ghost. Sam investigates the barn, finding a secret level where Timmy appears to have drawn images of his mother dying in a car crash, while Dean remembers his first kiss with Robin when they were 16. Dean had apparently grown attached to Robin, swearing to take her to his school dance, though he ended up abandoning her before the event.

The present Dean and Robin end up trapped inside the house by Timmy's vengeful spirit, that of a female ghost who attacks them beyond Timmy's control. Sam makes a salt circle for the four of them, before asking Timmy to tell them about the car crash that killed his mother. Timmy admits that his mother saved him from the vehicle before it exploded, while he spent the night in an abandoned building crying out for her. Dean burns the boy's action figure, believing it to be the mother's tether, though the spirit still appears. With no other options, Sam realizes the ghost must be tethered to Timmy himself.

The ghost attacks both Sam and Dean when the salt line breaks, as Dean urges Timmy to let go of his mother, allowing her to move on. Timmy finally grows forceful enough to beg the spirit to stop its rampage, for which it reverts into the woman's normal visage and ultimately disappears. That night, Dean says his goodbyes to both Robin and Sonny, though Sam wonders why Dean ever left the home, considering he seemed to have such good memories there as a youth.

Back in the past, Dean prepares for his date with Robin, before Sonny announces that John Winchester has returned with a job for his son. Sonny offers to tell John that his son wants to stay for a few more hours, though Dean sees young Sam waiting in the car, reluctantly acquiesces to his father's wishes, and thanks Sonny for giving him a second chance. In the present, Sam thanks his brother for always being there, when it couldn't have been easy.

OUR REVIEW:

Standalone episodes of Supernatural' tend to be more frustrating, at least in the later years of the series, particularly when gimmicks like that of "Dog Dean Afternoon" place more emphasis on a concept than its impact on character relationships. So while we hadn't necessarily placed stock in "Bad Boys" beforehand, we were pleasantly surprised to find the hour more of a throwback to the standalone Supernatural' days of yore, wherein a bit of insight into a period of Dean's past well marries with the conventional horror of the present.

So often has the series hit the beat of Sam wishing for a normal life, leaving Dean to drag the anchor of their father's work, that we forget that Dean too has occasionally desired the figurative apple pie lifestyle. We're not entirely sure if the time spent at Sonny's home for boys jives with whatever timeline we have for the Winchesters' childhoods after nine years, though it still comes as a surprise that Dean could make the best of a two-month sabbatical from the hunting life, snagging a first kiss and a few high school wrestling trophies along the way.

The main story itself reaches a bit into the show's own history, placing relatively few wrinkles on the tried and true ghost lore, as Dean connects with a young boy inadvertently tethering his mother's ghost to dispatching any of his perceived enemies. It helps that "Bad Boys" leaves out Ezekiel or the angel mythology for once, keeping things relatively simple, even as Sonny himself and Dean's adult crush Robin end up a bit tangential to the story (where was Sonny during the final conflict?). But while the solution to the home's ghost problem seemed a bit convenient, even by Supernatural' standards, the point of young Dean's heartbreaking return to the hunting life still hands.

Overall, solid character beats and throwback to classic Supernatural' made much more of "Bad Boys" than we might have expected, even if we're ready to return to the still-shaky serialization of the boys' ongoing quest against the angels this year.

Well, what say you? Did you get your fill of scary Supernatural' action? What did you think about "Bad Boys"? Give us your thoughts in the comments, and join us again next week for an all-new recap of Supernatural' season 9 episode 8, "Rock and a Hard Place," on The CW!

Edited by lakshmi_3004 - 10 years ago
    Ephemera thumbnail
    from Sweetondean 
    Once upon a time I fell for this show. It was kinda creepy and then there were these two brothers... 

As time went on I fell head over heels in love with both of them. I loved how they loved each other. I could see it was co-dependent and not very healthy, but I didn't seem to be able to muster up the ability to care! I loved them too much and I loved how they loved, pure and simple.

As time went on their lives became somehow intermeshed with mine. I celebrated their wins, I wept at their tragedies, I yelled at them when they lied, I laughed when they lost a shoe. 

Their story got more and more complex, people came into their world, some stayed, some died and I cried alongside the brothers for those losses. 

The brother's story got big, like Heaven and Hell big and I hung on with everything I had as the ride went from crazy to wild! I loved every journey, every epic mythic arc, every moment of world changing destiny revealed, but I never lost sight of one thing...why I fell in love with this show. I never lost sight of that, ever. It was kinda creepy and then there were these two brothers...

I watch this show with my heart; I don't know how to watch it any other way. I don't see the minutia other fans see. I'm not interested in unravelling the nitty gritty to find the cracks in the canon or the characterisations. My heart just doesn't see that stuff. Maybe it's rose-coloured blindness, or my blind optimism, but to me it's not worth sacrificing what has become an intrinsic part of the fabric of my being, to look for those things, even when I know others see them. Love is blind I guess and yeah, I love Supernatural.

So you won't be surprised to read that "Bad Boys" had me at hello...or rather at, take your brother outside as fast as you can... You knew that already though right? You guys know me by now. How did you think I would feel about this episode! It was all about the man I love with great big capital letters that reach to the sky and block out everything else from view. Dean Winchester is my heart and his brother Sam resides there with him.

As we head towards what we know is going to be a painful revelation, it was important for us to be reminded who these brothers once were and still are and what they mean to each other and it was important for the brothers to be reminded of this too. "Bad Boys" was an exercise in reconnecting us with what is the spirit of Supernatural, what the brothers represent in each other's lives and what may be compromised or lost because on a tragic November night, one brother took the other into his arms and has never been able to let go. 
    It's been a long time since an episode has made me cover my eyes and look away because of squick and it's been a long time since an episode has left me sobbing uncontrollably! "Bad Boys" made me do both. 

I loved the good ole' fashioned ghost hunt. The salt and burn. The story about a kid who lost his mum to fire and who was both literally and figuratively haunted by that tragedy. I loved the horrific bathtub suffocation and the errant lawn mower causing a kid to need about 8,000 stiches. Squick! Yes that's when I covered my eyes and had to look away and I loved the walk through Dean's memories, to a time not even Sam knew about.

I was glad to see, that like most teenagers, Dean had a rebellious streak. He wasn't always the good little soldier. I never thought he would've been. There's more to Dean that than. He's deeper than that. We've seen him slip out on Sam to go play video games and though that taught him a valuable lesson, being don't do that, he was still a cocky S.O.B. when we later met him in high school, making out in the janitor's closet with a couple of chicks on the hop. I'm sure, regardless of his eventual dedication to the family business and devotion to his father, like all teenagers, he had hismoments and apparently one of those moments ended up with him in enough trouble that he wound up in a boy's home.
    Why John decided to leave Dean there we don't know. Maybe he was angry, teaching his kid a lesson, trying to make him understand there are consequences to all actions, especially if you're a Winchester, or maybe he knew that for a couple of months Dean would be safe and saw that as a good thing for his son. Whatever his reason all those years ago, I'm glad he did it, because it gave Dean a moment of normality in his otherwise chaotic life.

Dean went to school, became a wrestling champ and learnt how to kiss a girl! Normal teenage stuff. I'm so glad Dean has those memories. I'm also glad that for a fleeting moment that life was something Dean considered as a possible future. I'd be truly worried if he didn't. Because given his everyday circumstance, that life, with young love blossoming, should have seemed attractive to him. Later on down the years, every so often he still pined for that kind of life, though he grew to understand that it could never be his and just as has happened in more recent times it only took one thing to make Dean know where his place truly was and always will be. It only took Sam.
    Seeing his little brother waiting outside in the car caused all thoughts of another life to evaporate and a smile as wide as the great outdoors to spread across Dean's face. He walked away, never looked back and never regretted it. Because of Sam. Sam was and still is Dean's world and I can't do anything but love him for that. In fact...this is where I sobbed...uncontrollably! Sam is Dean's happiness and by Sam's side is where he will always want to be, for better or worse.

Though I adored the flashbacks to Dean's past and discovering a side of Dean that we had yet to see, it was the brothers in the present day that made my heart sing.
    It was the moments when Dean was helping the kids at the home, whether putting bullies in their place or teaching little Timmy how to shake hands Kung-Fu grip style. It was the moments where Sam figured out Dean had liked that girl and teased him for it, or marvelled that Dean was an athlete back in the day, or saw the pentagram carved into the bedpost and smiled. It was Dean's softness that was amplified as he tried to comfort a kid who'd lost everything and it was Sam's wistful looks as he saw his big brother through fresh eyes. 

It was the Winchesters, once again, calling out each other's names, having each other's backs, fighting side by side, working as one. 

It was a big brother who loved his little brother so much that nothing else mattered and a little brother who saw that love and loved his big brother even more because of it.

"Dean, thank you"

"For what?"

"For always being there... for having my back... Look I know it always hasn't been easy..."

"I don't know what the hell you're talking about"
    "Bad Boys" was the boiled down essence of everything I fell in love with when it came to Supernatural. Everything I fell in love with when it came to the brothers Winchester. Everything I fell in love with in Dean. It was an hour of pure, joyous nostalgia.

I sobbed uncontrollably at the end of this episode. I really did! Big blubbery sobs. I sobbed for many reasons...in sadness for the life that these brothers have to endure, for all the things they've had to give up, for Sam reaching out to Dean to say thanks and for Dean, who only had to see his little brother to know, that he could be nowhere else but by Sam's side. I sobbed uncontrollably at the happiness they fill me with and the beauty that lay at the heart of these two men. *sigh* They're so awesome!

Yup, I fell head over heels for Supernatural all over again this week and even though I wouldn't have thought it at all possible, I fell more and more in love with Dean.

We all see Supernatural differently and see in it, different things. It's part of the beauty of this show, that we can all look at it from our own perspective.

I loved "Bad Boys" with great big capital letters that reach to the sky and block out everything else from view...
    Geeze...I'm so sorry! I know this isn't much of a review, or really even a review! Just a cascade of feels!

But I watch this show with my heart; I don't know how to watch it any other way...

Because it's kinda creepy and then there are these two brothers...

-sweetondean
    Edited by lakshmi_3004 - 10 years ago