Debate Mansion

Do good looks give you an edge over ...

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

My question is do you think good looking people, beautifull people, handsome people have an edge over the "not so good looking " folks, the physically average looking people ?

Just a thought i had noticed pretty women/ handsome guys have a good start over the rest. Lets talk of school first, in a school play for the lead role the organisers( could be other students or some teachers) tend to first notice the pretty faces. Making friends, some how good looking people get the first attention from the others. People want to buzz around them . Even in the university things remain the same.

At work too in an interview a good looking person has an edge over the average person ESPECIALLY if its a people based job. Meaning if you are likely to meet clients or customers. Even at meetings the boss of the opposite sex may shower you with more attention (being close to the boss just gives you an edge). It may not garner you a promotion as that is usually ablity based, but you are close to influencing important people. What gives you this advantage ? Often looks !!

I agree that eventually its brains that take you any where in life . I agree its good nature and a amiable person who is left with maximum "genuine" friends.

But doesn't a beautifull person having the starting edge over the other?

Or

Do you think good looking people have it tough as they are stereo typed and branded. There are sexist jokes like"dumb blond" for pretty women in the West. And similar ones every where.

Your thoughts please

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

insouciance thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Aparna_BD

My question is do you think good looking people, beautifull people, handsome people have an edge over the "not so good looking " folks, the physically average looking people ?

In fields where looks are the only criteria(read modelling,acting  and sometimes even in arranged marriages 🤢 etc)yes,good looks does have an edge...But not in the corporate world where there's cut throat competition....

Just a thought i had noticed pretty women/ handsome guys have a good start over the rest. Lets talk of school first, in a school play for the lead role the organisers( could be other students or some teachers) tend to first notice the pretty faces. Making friends, some how good looking people get the first attention from the others. People want to buzz around them . Even in the university things remain the same.

Not true...People dont really suck up to the beautiful people...Initially perhaps yeah,everyone would want to be friends with a pretty looking girl,but once the true colours are out,people no longer want to be friends...I went to one of the most popular schools in my city,and in our school we had the groupism..students from the comparitively richer echelons wouldnt befriend students who are poor..so more than looks,the criteria was social status😕..Like at a page 3 party,some people look so ewwwwww,but they are glamourous,they are well groomed and thus people find them affable...even in bollywood,so many actresses are just ordinary looking(priety,rani,Priyanka Chopra,shilpa shetty etc),but they do have talent/great figures and thus thrive....The only actress who is a success in bollywood only and I repeat only because of looks is Aishwarya Rai...Thus more than looking beautiful,the need is to look glamourous..and anybody can be made to look glamourous after a makeover , a weight loss,a few visits to a skin clinic and a salon

At work too in an interview a good looking person has an edge over the average person ESPECIALLY if its a people based job. Meaning if you are likely to meet clients or customers.

even then,its the smartness and the marketting prowess that matters more than looks..One must definitely look clean and well dressed..but looking handsome/beautiful isnt neded...some of the biggest business magnets arent conventionally good looking,but they dress well,and know how to carry themselves...A dumb blonde cannot survive for long in any marketting field,as every field these days is so darn competitive

Even at meetings the boss of the opposite sex may shower you with more attention (being close to the boss just gives you an edge). It may not garner you a promotion as that is usually ablity based, but you are close to influencing important people. What gives you this advantage ?

At the most one could just get certain perquisites..its the brains which help one in the long term,,,,beauty is short lived

I agree that eventually its brains that take you any where in life . I agree its good nature and a amiable person who is left with maximum "genuine" friends.

But doesn't a beautifull person having the starting edge over the other?

Or

Do you think good looking people have it tough as they are stereo typed and branded. There are sexist jokes like"dumb blond" for pretty women in the West. And similar ones every where.

In a field where looks arent the primary criteria,and especially if the field is terribly competitive,looks wouldnt help much

Edited by Buffie - 17 years ago
jprasad thumbnail
u know what i think.

Based on a study done at Harvard, taller men make a lot of more money and have better jobs than shorter men. Now, I see why men want men to be stick skinny. It never ends for us women. If women were able to be fat and big, we would overrun the men.   ðŸ˜›
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Buffie i disagree with you about the corporate world lacking the facination for good looks. I was part of it for many years ! In several industry where you are a front for the customer- example Hotels(my ex industry), airlines, P.R firm etc.........they besides looking for skillfull marketing, customer service, sales people do pay a LOT OF ATTENTION  to good looks !!!!!!!! Its a very important criteria for selection. You have to be good looking , and have a good personality, and a good dress sense !! These are as important as education(MBA a requirement), and social skills etc. And here i am talking of managerial level . Not just the ticketing staff or the front office people.

Edited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago
insouciance thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Aparna_BD

Buffie i disagree with you about the corporate woorld lacking the facination for good looks. I was part of it for many years ! In several industry where you are a front for the customer- example Hotels(my ex industry), airlines, P.R firm etc.........they besides looking for skillfull marketing, customer service, sales people do pay a LOT OF ATTENTION  to good looks !!!!!!!! Its a very important criteria for selection. You have to be good looking , and have a good personality, and a good dress sense !! These are as important as education(MBA a requirement), and social skills etc.

More than good looks,its glamour....and as I said,anybody can be made to look glamourous after a makeover....

People find Priyanka Chopra good looking..I would disagree..she's very ordinary looking,but has a great figure and is glamourous...so yes,perhaps the corpoate world looks at glamour...But I'm not too sure about "looks"...as looks has nothing to do with glamour(as seen in the cases of ayesha takia,shilpa shetty etc)

and when I said the corporate world,i meant the top notch offices,like that of a manager or product engineer,accountant..there,more than looks,the smartness matters....No office would want to keep an inefficient hottie

Aparna_BD thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Buffie

More than good looks,its glamour....and as I said,anybody can be made to look glamourous after a makeover....

People find Priyanka Chopra good looking..I would disagree..she's very ordinary looking,but has a great figure and is glamourous...so yes,perhaps the corpoate world looks at glamour...But I'm not too sure about "looks"...as looks has nothing to do with glamour(as seen in the cases of ayesha takia,shilpa shetty etc)

and when I said the corporate world,i meant the top notch offices,like that of a manager or product engineer,accountant..there,more than looks,the smartness matters....No office would want to keep an inefficient hottie

You are correct about the "glamour" term. I agree there!

As for top offices.........like i metioned for the junior manager positions that slowly climb the corporate ladder , good looks is a important requirement or you could call it glamour that i think is a better fit of a term
Edited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago
Ms. Bholi Bhali thumbnail
I have a question!!!

who are those ppl, who label u beautiful or not so good looking.

everyone have their own personlity, and looks. Bipasha Basu aur Malika Sherawat are not so good looking if campared to ash, or others, but they have their own way of presenting themselves.

I don't think good looks will take u anywhere. its ultimatly ur damgh which is needed. if u don't have it, and u have the looks, then u can go and stand in Tha Bay's showcase for the latest summer collection.
Morgoth thumbnail
I agree that looks do play somewhat of a role in getting a job. However, in most interviews I've been to, I've noted that the interviewer looks at your personality, ability to converse and think on the spot.

They dont necessarily look at your intelligence or grades alone. You must appear presentable, friendly and professional.

When it comes to PR and retail sales, yes looks and fashion sense DO play a part as you are representing a company first hand.

When it comes to back-office jobs or very technical jobs requiring little human contact, it really doesn't matter.

At the end of the day, your intelligence does count, but it IS difficult to get a job if you dont appear presentable. (this doesn't mean one must look like a model or an actress)

Interviewers have been known to reject applicants for wearing too much perfume or not shining their shoes. No joke.
Aparna_BD thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: T.

I agree that looks do play somewhat of a role in getting a job. However, in most interviews I've been to, I've noted that the interviewer looks at your personality, ability to converse and think on the spot.

They dont necessarily look at your intelligence or grades alone. You must appear presentable, friendly and professional.

When it comes to PR and retail sales, yes looks and fashion sense DO play a part as you are representing a company first hand.

When it comes to back-office jobs or very technical jobs requiring little human contact, it really doesn't matter.

At the end of the day, your intelligence does count, but it IS difficult to get a job if you dont appear presentable. (this doesn't mean one must look like a model or an actress)

Interviewers have been known to reject applicants for wearing too much perfume or not shining their shoes. No joke.

Tanaz well said.

An organisation (Hotel) where i worked would reject candidates who applied for Mktg Exec.( the junior most Mgrs) on the basis of looks and dressing sense.

In some organistaions like i mentioned- Airlines, Hotel, PR the way you even "physically" present your self makes a huge difference. You could be from a good MBA school, have good grades, sound intelligent, but if you are a bad dresser, and are very plain to look at. Trust me, the interviewers will often flunk you.

Here i am not talking of senior level Mgrs, but junior level mgrs. But its these junior level Mgrs that will be senior some day.
jprasad thumbnail
I think John Abraham is good looking and if he ever came to me for help well his good looks would give him an edge over everyone including my non existent doggy.