Glam of cinema has lost its sheen for me :Samir Soni

Rush2220 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

'Glam of cinema has lost its sheen for me'

Isha Arora, Dec 6, 2013, DHNS :

Candid chat

Late night television viewing has become an edge-of the-seat experience with Life OK rolling out its newest sci-fi production, guaranteed to send chills down the spine.

Small screen's  well-known artiste Samir Soni, last seen in the soap Parichay"Nayee Zindagi Kay Sapno Ka , is playing the protagonist in "Khauff begins...Ringa Ringa Roses" on Life Ok. From a down-and-out lawyer who comes into his own in Parichay to the lead cast in a supernatural' world, Samir's audience will for the first time see him essaying a role in the horror genre. Metrolife quizzed him about this sudden switch to horror. 
 "It is not the genre that fascinates me, my criteria in choosing a role is to look at 
the character. If that's what I will live with for 25 days of my month, it better be interesting." 

Elaborating on his character, he says, "What is intriguing about JD's character is that it is multilayered;  on the one hand he is gifted with superpowers, a sixth sense, on the other he is a doting father who is on an emotional journey after being separated from his daughter. There are so many shades to play with."

Does the actor believe in supernatural occurrences? "What intrigues me is what if I could sense paranormal activities, hear people cry? How would such experiences alter me as an individual. I have not experienced it till now, but I cannot dismiss such 
occurrences," he says.

For the younger generation which is never satisfied with the portrayal of sci-fi and horror as a genre in India, would this show fill the gap? "In TV industry you have a wide audience, so you have to cater to those people as well who might not have watched The X-Files and Paranormal Activity. When I was approached for this role, my first reaction was, will paranormal activities as an idea strike a chord with someone sitting in a small town in India?'"

Justifying it, he says, "It's a fine line we are walking. 
While most of the horror shows in India do not have an episodic link, this one does, so as to take a viewer on an emotional journey." 

For a star whose appearance in movies such as Fashion and Baghban is much appreciated, Samir returns to television time and again. What entices him and other big names popular on the silver screen to television? Samir avers, "Even if a big banner approaches me for a film, I might not do it for the niche I have created in TV. In 1995 when I started my career, unfortunately things didn't work out and I started working in TV as a way of venting my frustration.

But what wasn't my choice back then, is my priority now, because what I really enjoy is to act, to perform. And doing a film makes you act 40 days in a year's time, while TV gives 300 days of screen presence."

"TV satisfies me creatively. On that, I am in a position to chose a role that I like. The so-called glam of cinema has lost its sheen for me, it has jaded over the years," 
he confides. 

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/372954/039glam-cinema-has-lost-its.html

hope not posted before 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rajash thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Me reading it for the first time πŸ˜ƒ TFS πŸ˜›
Its always a pleasure read something interesting from him with his honest replies to every question being asked  😊

But what wasn't my choice back then, is my priority now,

Today, We as fans feel really proud of this fact SS πŸ‘πŸ‘ afterall TV in Today's age Needs an accomplished actor / performer like you... to inspire many of  those in making πŸ˜ƒ

Looking forward to Khauff begins.. as an emotional yet horrifying journey 😳 m sure all the hard by everyone will get paid off n the show will do even good in future as the story progresses...good luck to whole team πŸ‘πŸΌ Keep Rocking !!
awesumsonia thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
woww woww woww such honest replies frm Him πŸ‘
-Rani thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Agree, Samir is getting to do such awesome lead roles on TV and am sure it satisfies him to great extent creatively😳. 
BornHyper thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks for sharing...
Dear Samir, we want to see you 365 days a year on TV πŸ˜³... The weekend show is just not enough...πŸ˜›

Please oblige us! 
d.padmini thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for the article 
As always to the point and frank answers..
this is one attribute/trait of his which I adore the most...