Debate Mansion

IS PROM WORTH GOING?

Poll

IS PROM WORTH GOING?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
hey heyher knowing u r a paki muslim i dunthink itz worth it 4 u.......i dunno how practicing u r but basically the whole prom setting is well simply going against religion. i know i wont go 2 my prom in senior year.the rest really depends on u and ur opinionz. generally it can be a nice fun party where u get 2 hang out w/ friends 1 last time b4 splitting up but thats not all its about. the whole date dancing and after prom r all going against our religion islam.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

heyher87 thumbnail
i dint went coz it is against islam but i just wanted opinion of others.  i understand and actually that all of us know our religious values. actually this issue was brought up in school and about 15% says no so yea it was like last saturday
|iami5o4| thumbnail
I THINK IT IS WORTH GOING TO. I just went to mine last weekend and it was a blast. I'm not much of a dancer either but I still got on that dance floor and did my "thang". ðŸ˜† I even wore an indian dress to it and no one seemed to mind. I actually got a lot of compliments.

If your a respectable and religious person you'll know what to avoid and such and as long as you have your friends with you there you'll be fine. I'm not exactly into "grinding" or chugging down the liquor but I still went being myself regardless of what people think. I think it really just depends on the person. I just went because its a one in a life time experience and every person I think after attending it should experience it in their high school days.
dramaqueen thumbnail

even if u r muslim like i am you can still go. you don't have to have a date. some of the people i know just went together as friends

heyher87 thumbnail
no you cant..these type things encourage lot of other things which i cant bring out here
pj04 thumbnail
why not go to prom....it is a funparty...a way to say goodbye to your classmates...generally have a good time.if date is an issue...go with a friend or in a group(break the mold so as to speak). also any bitchiness should not bother you...this maybe the last time you will probably see a lot of them in your life(so why bother about thier opinion). however take care not to indulge in after prom drinking and sex events(passing out and having fun does not equate throwing all the rules for toss). sorry for sounding ignorant...but what does islam have against proms ?
peaches thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: pj04

why not go to prom....it is a funparty...a way to say goodbye to your classmates...generally have a good time.if date is an issue...go with a friend or in a group(break the mold so as to speak). also any bitchiness should not bother you...this maybe the last time you will probably see a lot of them in your life(so why bother about thier opinion). however take care not to indulge in after prom drinking and sex events(passing out and having fun does not equate throwing all the rules for toss). sorry for sounding ignorant...but what does islam have against proms ?

I agree with Pj.  I think the idea her is to go out and have a good time.  It's a social event and can be healty and positive.

There is no reason why anyone's prom exprience should be if you choose to take the proper actions.

As far as Islam goes, that up to the person to decide.  If I'm not mistaken Islam doesn't allow for participation in celebrations and joyous events....am I correct?  I had a very close friend who is Muslim, and she wouldn't even celebrate her b-day.

If this is the case....can someone explain why that is the case?

~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: peaches

If I'm not mistaken Islam doesn't allow for participation in celebrations and joyous events....am I correct?  I had a very close friend who is Muslim, and she wouldn't even celebrate her b-day.

If this is the case....can someone explain why that is the case?

OK thats a BIG misinterpretation....................Islam does not prevent us from partying or enjoying ourselves as long as we rnt going against the religion. ............And as 4 ur friend maybe she doesnt want 2 celebrate her b-day.

Morgoth thumbnail

For me, Prom was a waste of money (I'm almost always broke 😆) so I didn't bother going.

Otherwise it can be fun to party and enjoy with your friends. And dont drink the punch!😆

[quote=peaches]If I'm not mistaken Islam doesn't allow for participation in celebrations and joyous events....am I correct?  [/quote]

Actually that is a misconception. Anyone who has seen a Muslim wedding or festivities at Eid would see that Islam does allow celebration and joyous events.

[quote=peaches]I had a very close friend who is Muslim, and she wouldn't even celebrate her b-day.[/quote]

I too was confused about this several years ago, but a good Muslim friend explained the reasoning to me.

Islam does not prohibit celebrating b'days as long as they are done appropriately with the intent of expressing gratitude towards God for life. The fact is that b'days do not hold the same significance as Eid or other festivals - they are just like another day in life - which is why many conservative Muslims do not celebrate them.

heyher87 thumbnail
i completely agree with MysticaMagic and PakiPrincess...that is just another misconception islam and its followers