Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 9 years ago

Khoobsurat

The Disney Khoobsurat remake takes the concept of the original starring Rekha  and crosses it with Princess Diaries. So you cannot expect any spectacular or groundbreaking cinema. What you get is pure feel good Disney Princess entertainment. It is fun. It is entertaining. It has some hilarious moments. It has some sweet moments.

Sonam Kapoor suits the role to the tee. I can't imagine anyone else portraying the quirkiness, bubbliness and hyper-excitement as well as her. She isn't the finest actress. However, she has an understated style that makes her well suited for the girl next door types. Sometimes she reminds me of Zoey Deschanel. Fawad Khan is deliciously handsome. He looks regal and stately. He has a piercing intensity as the prince. He does the opposites attract chemistry with great finesse. Would be cool to see him in more movies. Ratna Pathak Shah does the snob mom best. She was underutilized. She could have had more scenes. Kirron Kher of course steals the show as overbearing Punjabi mom. Even if it is clich for her, she is always superlative.

Overall a decent film. No glaring flaws or down points really.

PS: IMO the subtle lesbian jokes by Mili's brother highlight my lipstick theory.

Daawat-E-Ishq

(Caution - Major spoilers ahead)

I found the trailers misleading. This film isn't about food but about dowry. In fact food isn't as much of a part of the film as I expected.

The film deals with the very sensitive issue of dowry and its imprint in Indian culture. Gulrez Qadir and her father are frequently humiliated by outrageous dowry demands. A small time court clerk her father struggles to find a good match for his well-educated daughter. After her boyfriend breaks her heart by demanding a dowry, Gulrez decides that enough is enough. She no longer wants to marry She decides that she will find the greediest, slimiest, dowry demanding family and entrap them with section 498a dowry prevention law. She plans to use the money to build a career in USA. She finds that in the Haider family. Their son Tariq is uncouth, uneducated and uncultured, yet they have no qualms demanding a whole slew of household appliances and a car as a dowry summing 40 lakhs. Gulrez and her father are all set to con the greedy family, when Tariq throws a curve ball at them. Turns out that Tariq is unlike anything they expected. He wants to marry for love. He wants to ensure that his bride is happy to marry him. He doesn't want any money and is against dowry. He is only humoring his traditional father. His father is a heart patient and he is worried that disagreement may cause health concerns. He insists on paying the dowry himself. This puts Gulrez in a conundrum. She actually falls for this gem of a guy. He is not the slimeball she thought he was. But she cannot tell him the truth either. So what will Gulrez do now?

I commend Habib Faisal for showing both sides of the coin. Even in modern India, many women suffer due to dowry demands and harassment. The anti-dowry law is essential to protect many innocent women and their families. Yet the law can be misused. But the movie also cautions you from judging the people who misuse the law by showing why people may be pushed to do so. Another important fact it addresses is that English education and upper class lifestyle don't make a better person or spouse. Tariq is uneducated and uncultured, but he ends up being a much better person that other well educated men Gulrez has met.

Sadly, the good concept is ruined by botched execution. While both Tariq and Gulrez charm, the movie rushes and unfolds very haphazardly. The only plus of the movie is Aditya Roy Kapur as Tariq. He manages to be handsome and charming, despite his audacious character. Might I say, the look suits him.

Antlers thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Khoobsurat

The Disney Khoobsurat remake takes the concept of the original starring Rekha  and crosses it with Princess Diaries. So you cannot expect any spectacular or groundbreaking cinema. What you get is pure feel good Disney Princess entertainment. It is fun. It is entertaining. It has some hilarious moments. It has some sweet moments.

Sonam Kapoor suits the role to the tee. I can't imagine anyone else portraying the quirkiness, bubbliness and hyper-excitement as well as her. She isn't the finest actress. However, she has an understated style that makes her well suited for the girl next door types. Sometimes she reminds me of Zoey Deschanel. Fawad Khan is deliciously handsome. He looks regal and stately. He has a piercing intensity as the prince. He does the opposites attract chemistry with great finesse. Would be cool to see him in more movies. Ratna Pathak Shah does the snob mom best. She was underutilized. She could have had more scenes. Kirron Kher of course steals the show as overbearing Punjabi mom. Even if it is clich for her, she is always superlative.

Overall a decent film. No glaring flaws or down points really.

PS: IMO the subtle lesbian jokes by Mili's brother highlight my lipstick theory.

πŸ˜† that was my favorite moment. and I thought of you. πŸ˜† I love the subtle hints in Bewakyoofiyan, too. πŸ˜†
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Euorotrip

Scotty Doesn't Know
If your not Manc, You're a Wank
Mi Scusi
Robotoff
Sausage Fest
#Hasbrownies #Not
Vandersexx
Twincest
New Pope
Full Ass Confession
Mile High Club

Nuff said

Jiyagulabi_26 thumbnail
Bhoot nath2
Mien Tera hero.
KuKKad_MalHOTra thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Finding Fanny Fernandes

Managed to get a decent copy on the net, but unfortunately it was the Hindi version. I so wanted the English-Konkani version, as it wasn't able to give me full feels of Goa.πŸ˜”

It was a nice movie. I liked it. Slow paced and calm, the journey reminded me of my childhood when I used to go on similar trips to villages, full packed in a car. Very nostalgic and real. Although it does get very slow in the middle, it was quite eccentric and funny at times. The whole journey is about inner realisation and I liked how simple the story was.

Nasser as Ferdie was such a sweetheart. Dimple as Rosie was awesome. Pankaj as Don Pedro was creepy. Deepika was good and surprisingly, I'm starting to like Arjun as an actor. For all those writing him off now, he actually has an advantage here and he will remain in BW for a long time, coz he plays the role of a loser yet a sweet guy very well and since he also looks like one, no one can replace him easily. Ranveer was crazy in his one minute cameo.πŸ˜†

The background music was excellent. Gave me the vibes of a slow paced Spanish movie.  I felt editing was a little choppy. Or maybe the net version was bad?πŸ˜• And whatever little Konkani I heard in the hindi version, the accent was quite off and hard to understand except for Nasser's. The way Don Pedro dies was too weird. Overall, the movie could have been better, but it was thankfully short.

Not recommended for people who aren't fans of slow paced quiet movies.

Rating - 3.5/5
Minionite thumbnail
I have a long list of recent movies to watch and finally I've started going through them. Here is the first of that list.

Creature 3D

The movie is a bore. Sadly, that's the truth. The movie relies solely on the basic things that are used to scare people. Music, background scores, and so on. The creature gets it's on introduction that lasts for about half an hour before we actually see it in full.

But still there some things that you might like.
  1. Amit Tandon had a nice, but very small role. Basically he comes to get killed. Still if you're a fan he's got a nice role to watch.
  2. The creature is actually quite scary when you first see him. After that he becomes like any normal haunted movie creature you would expect to see. He's also the only reason I would watch this movie.
  3. Imran Abbas Naqvi is a good actor. I feel if he had chosen a different movie for his debut then he might have become a hit almost immediately. Not that he hasn't been well-liked in this movie from what I've read, but still I wish he had chosen a better movie.
  4. Deepraj Rana (one of the forest inspectors) has done a commendable job as a forest inspector who just wanted to solve the case.
  5. Mukul Dev did a commendable job as a professor as well. He was a different kind of professor. Not the typical professor you would see in such a movie. His introduction was something different as well with him starting to investigate the case first in Mumbai before heading to the site.
Some of the negatives (if I tried to list everything this would become really long).
  1. Ahan'a story. I'm sorry but it seems like I've heard such things so many times that I've gotten annoyed with it now.
  2. Bipasha Basu looked like she was forcing herself in this role. I'm not sure why she wants to do horror only now, but it's becoming too much now. I'm tired of seeing the same expressions one movie after the next for hers.
  3. The storyline was quite predictable. Some deaths, the hero and heroine falling in love and finding out about the horror, and then they end up fighting and winning with a happily ever after.
  4. Bikramjeet Kanwarpal's character was annoying like hell. Every time he appeared I just felt like destroying the screen.
No other comments.

Rating: 1/5 (just for some of those good points)
Jiyagulabi_26 thumbnail
Damini
Omg what a movie n awesome acting by meenakshi!
Mien Tera hero!
Parineeta..
Minionite thumbnail
Raja Natwarlal

Someone at work suggested this movie to me so I decided to give it a watch. And I'm not at all disappointed.

Emraan Hashmi was an absolute treat. This role is quite different than anything he has done. And I think this is the first time I've seen him dancing as well. He's a con, but with a heart of gold. Kind of repeated often, but still it was nice to see.

Deepak Tijori was interesting to see after such a long time. He looked good in his role as well.

KK Menon is always a treat to watch. He's a great actor and he wasn't any less here.

Humaima Malick had a forgettable role sadly. I didn't really like her.

Paresh Rawal was stellar like always. He can make any scene sound funny without it actually being funny. And he can make any scene serious without it actually being serious.

Certain scenes really stood out and made me want to cry. For example Deepak Tijori's death scene. The way Raja delivered that news made you just want to tear up. He didn't have to say anything to show the sadness and pain. Then the way he begged Yogi (Paresh Rawal) for help was absolutely crying worth.

The songs were ainvayi. The movie could have done without them.

But I must say the movie was enjoyable. I'll give it a 4/5.
Edited by KhotaSikaShreya - 9 years ago
Jiyagulabi_26 thumbnail
heropanti...
loved it.. amazing performances by kriti n tiger.
lovely songsπŸ‘πŸΌ
mandy0310 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 8
http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4176376#p113814579