Your thoughts on NRI's

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 10 years ago
Buenos Dias Everyone!
It seems that Western Nations often have a perspective on "immigrants" and the "issues" they bring to the nation- whole other discussion for another time, and has various facets- but I really wanted to get a perspective of Indians in terms of how they perceive visiting NRI's and their foreign (ie Canadian, American, British, Australian etc) relatives visiting their "mother land" and your home country- India.

What is your experience? 
What is your perspective?
Do you have a certian expectations?
Do you get along?
Do you communicate, or is there a social bridge between you two?

I ask this because my relationship with my great- nieces and nephews (my dad's the youngest of eight, and his nieces and nephews have kids my age LOL) is awkward to say the least, I don't dislike them- but I constantly wonder what their interpretation of me would be?

What are your thoughts on NRIs and their visiting families when they come to see y'all- if applicable- are they positive, or negative experiences: what do you like or dislike. 

Thanks in Advance! 

Reeha
I guess it depends a lot on what is that Indian person's relation with the said NRI person and vice versa. And what they expect out of that relationship.

My sister is an NRI and so is my BIL, they work in 2 different countries. So I have NRI from 2 different nations in my family, but I obviously don't feel any sort of discomfort interacting with them.
In about 20-25 days time, my own status most prolly will become that of an NRI. I don't think my interactions or relations with my parents or other relatives will change because of that.

Relationships don't change because of shifting to another country. Relationships change because of growing difference in financial conditions. Relationships change because of negative behaviours and expectations that arise from that inequality in financial conditions.
Edited by souro - 10 years ago
Reeha, You have asked a good question. But this is how I take it. When I was young, I had my aunt and my cousins as NRIs. How I felt to be with them was not so good. It is not because, they were NRIs and they were in a different cultural set-up. But because they were very much financially well-off and my parents were poor, they looked at me and my parents with contempt  Later I also became an NRI. But myself and my (deceased) wife when we were NRIs, we were kind and loving to everyone and we had cordial relationship with our relatives and cousins.
Whether a person is NRI or local, what tells that person apart is the love within him or her and not the financial position. The communication between NRI and a resident Indian need not be complicated. Just be kind and loving to everyone and that is all I practice. Every human being has divine spark within and love within and that is what tells that person apart.

Why do you feel, your dealings with your nephews and nieces have to be awkward? Why is it important for you the way they interpret you? You know you don't dislike them and you have love for them. Just practice being your natural self to them. If they understand you and reciprocate the love you have for them, you will find communication smoothly going on with them. But if those people have complexes and some preconceived notions, you can't do anything with them. All that you can do is accept yourself and be not affected by them. 
It all depends on the individuals and the dynamics they share.

I've interacted with several NRI's - as an Indian citizen, as an NRI myself and as an American citizen. It varies. Some don't gel well, some do. Some loathe India, some are overzealous about India. Some are obnoxious, some are cordial. Some think they are special, some are down to earth.
Originally posted by souro

I guess it depends a lot on what is that Indian person's relation with the said NRI person and vice versa. And what they expect out of that relationship.

My sister is an NRI and so is my BIL, they work in 2 different countries. So I have NRI from 2 different nations in my family, but I obviously don't feel any sort of discomfort interacting with them.
In about 20-25 days time, my own status most prolly will become that of an NRI. I don't think my interactions or relations with my parents or other relatives will change because of that.

Relationships don't change because of shifting to another country. Relationships change because of growing difference in financial conditions. Relationships change because of negative behaviours and expectations that arise from that inequality in financial conditions.

Thank you for sharing your personal experience! What I'm referring to isn't necessarily a relationship changing- we've never shared a relationship before; It just seems that our short- often forced conversations- are short and awkward; I was wondering if it had anything to do with a possible perception someone in India may have of their foreign relative (same could be said vica versa for arguments sake). 
Originally posted by maha2us

Reeha, You have asked a good question. But this is how I take it. When I was young, I had my aunt and my cousins as NRIs. How I felt to be with them was not so good. It is not because, they were NRIs and they were in a different cultural set-up. But because they were very much financially well-off and my parents were poor, they looked at me and my parents with contempt  Later I also became an NRI. But myself and my (deceased) wife when we were NRIs, we were kind and loving to everyone and we had cordial relationship with our relatives and cousins.
Whether a person is NRI or local, what tells that person apart is the love within him or her and not the financial position. The communication between NRI and a resident Indian need not be complicated. Just be kind and loving to everyone and that is all I practice. Every human being has divine spark within and love within and that is what tells that person apart.

Why do you feel, your dealings with your nephews and nieces have to be awkward? Why is it important for you the way they interpret you? You know you don't dislike them and you have love for them. Just practice being your natural self to them. If they understand you and reciprocate the love you have for them, you will find communication smoothly going on with them. But if those people have complexes and some preconceived notions, you can't do anything with them. All that you can do is accept yourself and be not affected by them. 

Thank you! Truely appreciate your answer and I guess I'll keep on working on my conversation skills with them! LOL!  It doesn't bother me per say, I was just trying to garner some insight in the social perceptions if any ðŸ˜†
I'm myself an immigrant in US and I have been living here for the last 5 years.  

I don't judge people based on their origin but one thing I will say is that I find the NRI's who try too hard  and nitpick on everything indian (I don't mind legit positive criticism) just as obnoxious as the Indians back in India (or recent immigrants to west) who ride on the "My country is right no matter what bandwagon". But I must say I have come across far far more people in the 2nd category than the 1st. Classic example of the 2nd category are some indian journalists and armchair 'analysts' that you see on tv channels.
Edited by silverbug - 10 years ago

NRIs are a wonderful bunch. On a clear day, you can spot them a mile off.  They are the guys you'll see changing the baby's diaper.😆

These days it's rampant of posting snow fall photographs @ facebook from NRI  ðŸ˜†

I interact with lot of non-resident indians and pakistanis here in US. They have been brought up here. Their communication is better and I have noticed that they are more disciplined and more in tune with the system and more comfortable. its like working with a white/black american. I dont get personal so cant comment in their personal life.

In terms of intelligence etc I think they are about the same as desis back home.