Article ~ Poonam and Krystles saas-bahu jodi with a twist ~

JeeLeZaraa thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
Link -> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/tv/news-interviews/Poonam-and-Krystles-saas-bahu-jodi-with-a-twist/articleshow/27750453.cms
Poonam and Krystle's saas-bahu jodi with a twist
Poonam Dhillon and Krystle D'Souza in Ekk Nayi Pehchaan

A new TV show, Ekk Nayi Pehchaan, is set to redefine the stereotypical warring saas-bahu relationship. Here, the two women will end up becoming each other's strength. The show revolves around Sharda Modi (Poonam Dhillon), who's neglected and taken for granted by her own family. Her semiliterate status affects her self-esteem, but she finds solace in her daughter-in-law, Sakshi (Krystle D'Souza), who educates her while Sharda teaches her family values. 

The show is an official adaptation of the popular Gujarati play Sharda, scripted by Varsha Adalja. Says Poonam, who is returning to TV after a hiatus, "Apart from being the central character, it's also interesting and positive. Sharda explains complex things in an easy and beautiful manner. The saas and bahu, despite their contrasting personalities, complement each other." Krystle says, "Here, the saas and bahu are more like mother and daughter. Call it a coincidence, but my mother used to feel that I bear some resemblance to Poonam Dhillon. And today, I am working with her. My mother saw the hoarding and said that Poonamji and I look like mother and daughter." 

Sneha Rajani, Senior EVP and Business Head of the channel, says, "It's a contemporary, relatable yet inspirational story which stands for female empowerment, hope and happiness. It encourages people to improve their lives by changing how they view traditional relationships."

Adds producer Kinnari Mehta, "We are endorsing the idea that life can begin at 50, too. It's never too late to embark on a new journey." Why the emphasis on education? She says, "Education is not just about attaining degrees; it's a tool that gives you confidence and financial and emotional strength." Co-producer Jay Mehta adds, "I have been inspired by the women around me. My show highlights how two generations complement each other. Also, a woman in her 50s can easily compete with youngsters given her intelligence and experience. It is a small effort to break all those cliched stories on saas-bahus." 

Ekk Nayi Pehchaan launches tonight and will air from Monday to Friday at 8.30 pm on Sony Entertainment Television