I have worked as the DOP in the original Hatim

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 10 years ago

Nikhil Sinha

Producer Nikhil Sinha speaks about the popular mythological show, Devon Ke Dev Mahadev, and newly launched Hatim.

What is so special about Hatim? It's a different show. It belongs to the fantasy genre and has a very popular character. The show will raise the bar and do well as we have tried to really raise the standards. We are now updated technologically in every possible way.

What prompted you to make Hatim? It's the journey of a normal boy. I worked as the DOP in the original Hatim and there was barely any technological support back then. Also, since I wasn't the producer, I didn't have much say when it came to taking decisions. I had already decided to make Hatim the way I imagined it. This show is going to be huge and has a huge scope both technology and set-up wise.

Since you were part of Hatim earlier, comparisons are bound to happen. Are you prepared for it? Also, how different will be your Hatim from the earlier one? I had directed some scenes too for the earlier Hatim and hence, it obviously was very special to me. I'm still very much attached to it. I have taken a big leap into making Hatim with special effects, set- ups and costumes. The new Hatim will be very different from its predecessor. It's quite close to Hollywood -- we are using practical VFX. We have also taken special care for the costumes.

Actor Rahil Azam became popular as Hatim. Do you think debutant Rajbir Singh, who plays Hatim in your show, will also be lucky? Yes, I feel Rajbir will be a big star too. The character is great and the way he is presenting it is going to be perfect too.

What made you finalise Rajbir and Pooja Bannerjee to play the lead roles? Rajbir was a body builder. I saw his picture one day and finalized him; I chose him at first sight. He has a chiselled face, perfect body and he looks straight out of a video game. I wanted a warrior princess and Pooja fits the bill as she has stamina, innocence and a fresh face.

READ: I am an ardent Shiv bhakt: Mohit Raina

What do you think the future of Indian television next year, with mythological, fantasy and historic shows dominating the medium? The last two years were all about Mahadev. My agenda was to bring out a costume drama and get due recognition. Mahadev succeeded in mainstream category and also won awards. So, this genre has emerged strong and successful. I won't say dominate, but yes, I believe they will stay and develop well.

What to expect out of Mahadev now? Mahadev is an iconic show now and it's beyond us. Its audience base is huge and there are interesting tales coming up to show.

Suhana, your wife, is also involved in the project and company. Does that help? It's a phenomenal help. She helps out at work whenever needed and whenever she can. Most of all, as a wife, she's supportive and that makes half my job easy.

What major changes did you notice in the industry over the years? According to me, the industry has gone backward. The shows earlier were trend setters -- Bharat Ek Khoj, Malgudi Days, etc. They all had wonderful concepts and presentation, they were cult material. These days, it's all formulated and stereotyped. Some shows are still good and are coming up. Balika Vadhu had a strong message initially and Bade Achhe Laggte Hain.. dealt with mature love stories. Now, Mahadev has brought in costume drams. It's a nice breed of makers today and many of my friends are also doing good work.

ALSO READ: It's all about the name for Pooja Banerjee

What are your New Year Plans? The launch of my show was on 28th, so I'm going to wrap things up and take a three-day break.

Do you see yourself in the reality genre? I haven't thought as of now, but maybe sometime.

If you have to sum up your journey this year, how will you do that? It's been a tremendous year. I have gained creative satisfaction; I did quality work and Hatim happened. It's been my dream project, and I'm hoping it's good.
So I and My big bro was right.They are trying to make it like Hollywood.And I was so right about the Video Game type look that this New Hatim and Rajbir specifically give.This bit resembles like Prince of Persia to me.😳 😆But I wonder Why didn't they directly made a movie out in Bollywood with such effects then.😕That would have been Something Wonderfully big for Indian Cinema then.[8 This Show is AWESOME😃But No one can ever replace RAHIL as HATIM for me.❤️ 😳 ❤️
i get the feeling of prince of persia when i see hatim 😊 but i think the show will really take off when the action sequences start...😃
I haven't seen SP hatim but in my childhood an even older Hatim Tai story used to come on DD network .. most probably its production was not from india .. cant remember much but I am loving this Hatim as this has good effects, loving the actors playing protagonists and more than kiddish fairy tale it has an Arbian night kindda feel