Harry Potter

How Ginny was butchered in the 'Harry Potter' films

Almas. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 10 years ago

I'm Still Not Over... How Ginny was butchered in the 'Harry Potter' films

By Erin Strecker on Dec 30, 2013 at 4:00PM 

It's a conversation any books-first Harry Potter fan is all too familiar with: You're talking about how wonderfulHarry Potter is (because just because it's nearly 2014 doesn't mean you're stopping that conversation any time soon), and your friend brings up that it doesn't make any sense Harry wound up with Ginny Weasley of all people, because Ginny is the worst.

I'm sorry. This isn't true at all! That's just what Warner Brothersinexplicably wanted you to think because of the fact Ginny was in roughly 20 minutes of the entire franchise (time spent nearly dying in theChamber of Secrets when she was 11 not included). Ginny is a really cool girl who becomes a really cool lady and -bonus! " through her J.K. Rowling taught teenage readers a lot of really valuable lessons about being yourself, owning your own accomplishments, and not waiting around for guys (well, at least not too much).

But while Book Ginny was a dynamic, feisty character, Film Ginny is a Manic Pixie Wallflower that could be literally anyone Daniel Radcliffe had zero chemistry with. Seriously, was it not possible for her to accio a personality from anyone in the general vicinity? Her entire role in the movies was to awkwardly kiss Harry once at the Burrow and once at Hogwarts, and then stare at him while he ran around actually doing things during the final battles.

There are plenty of Harry Potter book-to-film changes I'm still not over. (Who are the Marauders, you ask? Don't ask anyone who only watched the movies!) But recently, what's bugging me more and more is how little respect Ginny gets " and I think a lot of it is because of the films. It's time someone stood up and defended her; She's actually a really cool character " it's just that none of her awesomeness translated onscreen.

First of all, here is a classic awkward moment to refresh your memory about why the movie version didn't do her justice. (Note: I'm experiencing secondhand embarrassment even bringing this up.)

Book Ginny would never. Let's take a trip down memory lane...

Number One: Ginny from the book didn't wait around for any man. When the boy of her dreams appeared disinterested (he had a few other things on his mind!) she didn't get desperate. Instead, she got friendly with Dean, showing The Chosen One she had plenty of other things going on in her life. Next!

Number Two: While Harry is crushing on Cho in Order of the Phoenix, Ginny didn't let her crush stand in the way of being useful and smart. She gave him support for Dumbledore's Army, and helped fight at the Department of Mysteries, among other battles.

Number Three: While Harry, Ron and Hermione were off roaming a forest, Ginny was actually braving things out at Hogwarts " and it wasn't all Yule Balls and Quidditch. In the books, Ginny and Neville are shown to be keeping the rebellion going at school ("Dumbledore's Army, still recruiting") - but only Neville's heroism made the film. Ginny got to be a movie girlfriend, instead. -100 Points from the House of Movie Studios.

Number Four: This isn't bada**, per se, but I always thought it was really cool that right before Harry and Ginny finally kissed, Ginny was off winning a Quidditch game because her dumb crush was stuck in detention. Guys, am I right?

With the films finished, I guess I'll just have to hold out hope the just-announced stage version of Harry Potterwill show Ginny in a better light " perhaps with a little something like this:

Edited by iluvOriginals - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ExpectoPatronum thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
yes it's so true... there was always this awkwardness between the actors which I felt was the main reason for their chemistry to go down the drain!
In one of his interviews Daniel states it too, he says that the love interest in Ginny was so sudden and he hadn't expected it.
But throughout the movies I've felt that Ginny was there just coz she had to be there and that's it and we can't compare movie Ginny and the one in books simply because they're miles apart as you've said!
The Ginny from book made it to our hearts but the movie Ginny couldn't (I'm really sorry Ginny fans)...I love Bonnie Wright as an individual but not as Ginny, the production could have given her a better role than what she portrayed and Bonnie would have done it as she had the potential!!!
somewhere the production is at fault.
bookworm-ALS-- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
That's the worst thing about the movies. Plenty of unnecessary Harry and Hermione moments were added, while Ginny was reduced to ..well, nothing. I was so mad when they cut out the parts in Order of the Phoenix- when she and Harry share Easter eggs and heart-to-heart in the library, and when she tells him off in Grimmauld Place. It was horrible of them to cut out everything that made me love Ginny and made me ship her with Harry since reading CoS. Edited by bookworm-ALS-- - 10 years ago
Marauders thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I personally was never a fan of Ginny... Even in the books... I love Bonnie but the character of Ginny never appealed to me in the movies especially. They showed her like she was desperate.. This one scene in Order of Pheonix, when Harry remains behind to talk to Cho, you can see the "sad look" in her face... i odn't think it was there in the books.. she was doing her own thing... I didn't want Harry to end up with Ginny...They just never had any chemistry.. even in the books ðŸ˜• but it was deff nice to see that he was officially a family member of the weasleys! 
Tranquile_Self thumbnail
Films never do justice to the books. One thing I tell to all my friends who just watch the movie and talk as if they know the Harry Potter novel is that "Never judge a book with its movie" 😊
featherheart thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
ginny in buuk was far much btr dan d movie role..
ahe was actually a strng gal..
jk rowling perfctd her charctr...she actly grew wid years..
she became mature...strng...nd in muvies..dey showed nothng
bonnie was perfct choice for ginny..she was able to give justce to role nd i feel if dere was more of ginny in muvies
she wud hav edone prfctly

Minionite thumbnail
So totally true!

The movie Ginny was ruined! I could never recognize her!
libsrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I think the movie team of Harry Potter was never able to understand this character properly...i wonder if even read HP books ever to understand other characters than the main charcaters...non of the director was able to show us the tranformation of Ginny' personality and how Harry's interest changed in her...one of the directors had said that they could not include Harry/Ginny romance in HP6 movie becoz than the movie would have got too long...i even feel both Daniel n Bonnie lack the chemistry needed to bring out Harry-Ginny romance on screen...the way Ron (Rupert) and Hermoine(Emma) were able to perform even small eye locking scenes were so good n real...no offence to Bonnie's fan but i found Ginny's actress very dull and not at all made for Harry...she was far too boyish than Ginny was and completely lacked the beauty and attitude Ginny had which made Harry attract to her...so all in all becoz wrong casting and wrong character sketch neither was Ginny able to come on screen and neither was Harry-Ginny romance and chemistry
Swetha-Sai thumbnail
^ Agree with the article completely!