Debate Mansion

Bollywood!! (Past,Present&Future)

Posted: 10 years ago
Its Friday!!! And its a release!! Cinemas are all jam packed...popcorn and nachos. Great going!! We all are obsessed with the Hindi Film Industry and why not??!! Its glamorous. You can be an actor and the entire world will know you. But is Bollywood losing its tag of quality films like it used to deliver in the past. 
With complete fairness,the craziness of being in 100 crc club has driven producers to make the craziest films with absolutely no concept. Actors don't just pick films they want to be in,they pick films they think they can drag into this club and make the rich producers richer. 

But what about stories?? What about emotions that define a movie? Very rarely do we get a release that defines good acting+excellent plot+feel good ending. The last I had seen was The Lunchbox. And it seems, even if you have good actors who have been in theatres for years fail to get attention because of the new entrants who have looks and bodies to die for.

Please post your views...

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sakhile thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I think that too many movies are made with the expat Indian in mind, too many movies now portray values that are aginst morality, too many movies that a copied from Holywood,. These days movies lack the deep moral values that were expoused in older movies. In the past movies taught the audience and raised their consciences about topical issues, today too much nach gana, nangi patungi actresses and actors with little acting skill and only eye candy.
patie thumbnail
Yup I second u

The quality of cinema is lacking smwhere 😕 I wonder y should ppl spend 500rs to watch idiotic films??
LovelyPlanet thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: _Ashy_

Its Friday!!! And its a release!! Cinemas are all jam packed...popcorn and nachos. Great going!! We all are obsessed with the Hindi Film Industry and why not??!! Its glamorous. You can be an actor and the entire world will know you. But is Bollywood losing its tag of quality films like it used to deliver in the past. 

With complete fairness,the craziness of being in 100 crc club has driven producers to make the craziest films with absolutely no concept. Actors don't just pick films they want to be in,they pick films they think they can drag into this club and make the rich producers richer. 

But what about stories?? What about emotions that define a movie? Very rarely do we get a release that defines good acting+excellent plot+feel good ending. The last I had seen was The Lunchbox. And it seems, even if you have good actors who have been in theatres for years fail to get attention because of the new entrants who have looks and bodies to die for.

Please post your views...

well considering our 1.2 billion population and add neighbours' population to that, we have big sections of each type. Some who watch movies for pure entertainment, some for quality and yet others who could not care less.
All movie industries are driven by this fact and all produce a bunch of crap along with some master pieces.
Don't you agree?
Edited by LovelyPlanet - 10 years ago
minelove24 thumbnail
nw a days what i found in indian movies..nothing..only exposd gals..no innovative roles for female lead..repeatative mardhad,only telgu remakes..nothing seems original..even music too..felt like only lyrics changd bt music is old..rather than watching bollywd movies..i prefer tamil ,bengali or marathi movies..latest hits of marathi lyk duniyadari and timepass and balakpal ak are the best and very innovative..bw movies are lacking in new concepts and innovation..actors also are nt so much doing their best. Somewhere i feel lyke bw .newcomers are nt that gd..tv actors are much better than them..
.Peeves. thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
So true. I don't understand why there is so much hype around Bollywood movies. Since a decade or so no movie is having a great impact on me. There are few movies but they too arent veryy great! 
Only thing which directors see these days is how to make the item song of their movie more popular, how to promote etc. Quality is lacking somewhere ðŸ˜•

I prefer HW or animated movies ( yea they are fun to watch ðŸ˜›) than BW movies these days.

Edited by FlawlessAshvik - 10 years ago
.Peeves. thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: trishtej

nw a days what i found in indian movies..nothing..only exposd gals..no innovative roles for female lead..repeatative mardhad,only telgu remakes..nothing seems original..even music too..felt like only lyrics changd bt music is old..rather than watching bollywd movies..i prefer tamil ,bengali or marathi movies..latest hits of marathi lyk duniyadari and timepass and balakpal ak are the best and very innovative..bw movies are lacking in new concepts and innovation..actors also are nt so much doing their best. Somewhere i feel lyke bw .newcomers are nt that gd..tv actors are much better than them..

Oh! I agree .. Marathi movies are great!! Very innovative..
LoveToLaugh thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: LovelyPlanet

well considering our 1.2 billion population and add neighbours' population to that, we have big sections of each type. Some who watch movies for pure entertainment, some for quality and yet others who could not care less.
All movie industries are driven by this fact and all produce a bunch of crap along with some master pieces.
Don't you agree?

Absolutely. Bollywood produces all kinds of movies. Some like the solid ones with solid scripts and actors. Some like the entertainment-driven flicks. Sometimes, I don't mind watching a Welcome or a Golmaal either. But yes, this 100 crore madness is increasing day by day. If that is the only purpose of making a , then there's something wrong.

That being said, Bollywood produces some pretty cool movies too. Lunchbox was fantastic. From the movies released in 2013, I personally loved Jolly LLB and Madras Cafe. Kai Po Che was good too.

There is something wrong with the award shows, though. Producing an entertainment-driven movie is something. Celebrating mediocrity is another thing altogether. And when I see utterly, utterly crappy movies like Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani being lauded at award shows, my heart sinks.

Edited by LoveToLaugh - 10 years ago
reeha_k thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Bollywood, like any industry is about supply and demand.
Why are there More item songs, with a catchy tune and flimsydressed item girl? Because there's a demand.

It may not be a conscious demand mind you, I don't see people on the streets saying "We want more Muni and Shiela" necessarily, but MONEY Talks. In a competitive market such as the Bollywood film industry, instead of looking at diversity and conceptual ideas for the most part these production houses are looking at a standard formula: "Oh, that worked? That type of song was a hit? This type of actress garners fans or attention? OK! We need to do THAT in order to make money" It's a pre-determined recipe, nothing more. 

It's not so much that Bollywood has changed, Bollywood reflects back whatever it see's in society. After all, they want to make MONEY. They will continue to make films along certain lines which they think will be received well at the box office. 

@Sakhile I disagree with the notion that contemporary bollywood movies are made with the Indian Expat in mind, WE do not make the bulk of Bollywood's ticket sales, we're not even 10% of bollywood's ticket sales, I doubt they spend millions of dollars making movies and promoting them throughout INDIA to garner to our NRI audiences LOL 
BarbieGurl thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
With time people's taste n preferences change...I dont think today movies r immoral or too westernized..thts the way world is nowdays...
Frankly older movies were too regressive with ever suffering and crying bhartiya naari..Happy those things hav changed.

who wld watch meena kumari continuously crying for hours.Edited by BarbieGurl - 10 years ago