Man suffer double standard - Page 3

Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by maha2us

Reeha, There are good reasons why the society had been patriarchal. No doubt through centuries,we know that the women lived a subdued life and their freedom had been restricted. Why is it so? A woman has to accept to be restricted when she chooses to accept she needs her husband to protect her and provide her all the comforts. One more point to be noted is even the man's family is given the responsibility to protect the woman. Anyone having responsibility needs authority also. If a woman squanders the man's money, still man has to provide for her. but if the man does the same, he himself is responsible and he can't question the woman. For his protection also, he is responsible. This is probably the main reason why a man was given the authority to hold on to the woman's belongings after marriage in the patriarchal society. After all he is responsible for taking care of her children, even if she strays. Again a reason why he expects the woman to be faithful to him.
An interesting point: If a woman accepts her man is her protector and provider, she has very well accepted he is her God. Isn't it how the husband became God for a wife?  

Actually, no there isn't any really "good reason" why society is and traditionally has been patriarchal. It's do to power structures, enforced by society. Since you're speaking in an Indian context (I presume) I'm going to give you the same example I give to my dad. 

(India is predominantly Hindu, so here's my example) Why are Devi's such as Durga, Saraswati, Ma Kali, Laxmi seen as strong, self sufficient and able to be associated on their merit ALONE, yet in culturally there seems to be this faulty notion that women are "weak" and need "protection" 

The reasons you're giving to JUSTIFY and explain patriarchy are a PRODUCT of Patriarchy πŸ˜†.
Same with " why a man was given the authority to hold on to the woman's belongings after marriage " --> Product of Patriarchal society, not a product of nature. 

Dude...which century are you speaking from? "Accepted he is her God" Holy crap. As a husband, he's god, and she's what? Chopped Liver? This is such a misguided notion. The objective of cultural progress is to move FORWARD, ie. Be Equals. Not to sustain and maintain this overwhelming and misguided patriarchal society. By Equals meaning: No one is a god- they're all freaking mortals. No one is a better parent naturally- it's the effort. No one is dependent- the goal is to be self sufficient. 

Originally posted by ..Antisocial..

Disagree  ,  Mother don't do works  and earning when they are in this condition , they just take rest , That time only father  take care of  mother and  child in her  womb and earn hard   , provide them food   ...Again  Father does   work without taking rest 

Ur are extreamly mysognist and biased...how many pregnant ladies hav u encountered??
many of my frns worked till day before their delivery and joinned office after two weeks...
In west woman continue excercising and maintain an active lifestyle throughout their preganncy..
woman are not helpless frail babies during pregnancy.
I myself worked till 8th month and joinned work after my son was 3 months old...and tht dosent mean I was sitting on the bed all the time. ...BTW maternity leaves are paid leaves so woman still gets the salary hence its not tht she is totaly dependent on the man.

unless there's serious health issue women can maintain a normal lifestyle.N usually its the older womenfolks of the house who take care of the pregnant lady.I have never seen men actually doing the cooking and cleaning part for the wife...instead I have seen pregnant ladies waiting on their husband while they sit like couch potatoes.
And cranky ...I have seen men being cranky for no reason...woman atleast have excuse of pregnancy and PMS πŸ˜†

biology has naturally given women an edge over men in terms of babies...accept that.
and respect has to be earned...I know many men who are wonderful fathers n contribute equally in child rearing...but claiming respect without any contribution is stupidity
Originally posted by BarbieGurl

Ur are extreamly mysognist and biased...how many pregnant ladies hav u encountered??
many of my frns worked till day before their delivery and joinned office after two weeks...
In west woman continue excercising and maintain an active lifestyle throughout their preganncy..
woman are not helpless frail babies during pregnancy.
I myself worked till 8th month and joinned work after my son was 3 months old...and tht dosent mean I was sitting on the bed all the time. ...BTW maternity leaves are paid leaves so woman still gets the salary hence its not tht she is totaly dependent on the man.

unless there's serious health issue women can maintain a normal lifestyle.N usually its the older womenfolks of the house who take care of the pregnant lady.I have never seen men actually doing the cooking and cleaning part for the wife...instead I have seen pregnant ladies waiting on their husband while they sit like couch potatoes.
And cranky ...I have seen men being cranky for no reason...woman atleast have excuse of pregnancy and PMS πŸ˜†

biology has naturally given women an edge over men in terms of babies...accept that.
and respect has to be earned...I know many men who are wonderful fathers n contribute equally in child rearing...but claiming respect without any contribution is stupidity

Your thinking is quite wrong and feminist  , Just cause you saw some women working in pregnancy  and some men don't help that does not mean all Fathers behave like this ...they contribute and do  help mothers ...Fine Leave all  , If a father does help  and fulfill his all Duty,  then ?   Why put  him on second rank  , Why dont give him  Equal Importance  ?

Originally posted by return_to_hades

I see some extremely incorrect, biased and somewhat misogynist statements being made in this thread.

Pregnant women are being repeatedly referred to as "cranky woman" and being compared to tantrum throwing toddlers. Some women do suffer hormonal changes that make their moods swing and become irritable. However, it is a myth that all pregnant women are moody, irritable or demanding. Secondly even when pregnant women are hormonal, they do maintain their composure as adults. It is one thing for a male friends and relatives to make good natured humorous jabs about a woman's hormonal changes, but it is extremely disrespectful to pregnant women to classify them as cranky and compare them to immature toddlers.

Secondly, I see several statements stating that pregnant women don't work or are incapable of being self-sufficient. There is also an outrageous statement referring to pregnant women as "helpless dependent creature" as if she's some injured animal someone is doing a favor by taking care off. Pregnant women come from all different backgrounds. Some do have the luxury to rest and relax while the family looks after them. Many pregnant women actually work, exercise, do household chores and live a normal lifestyle right until they go into labor. Most pregnant women actually do take care of themselves and their baby on their own. One the rare occasion women do have difficult pregnancies where they are somewhat helpless, bedridden and need to be taken care off.

Also I want to point out that whether out of health reasons or by choice, when pregnant women stay at home a husband is rarely left with the brunt of taking care of everything, especially in Indian culture. Traditionally in most Indian families the woman either goes to her maternal home or has her mother visit. Women in the family or neighborhood will always help with pregnancies. Even in modern times a female relative or friend helps out with pregnancy. Most women do have maternity benefits or insurance through work or on their own that pays for the bills. There are several single moms who do everything on their own without the father in the picture.

Paternity is valuable. Fathers do share loving bonds with their wife and kids, that can go underappreciated. However, demeaning and disparaging women as being cranky helpless dependent creatures to make a case for the father's role is just fundamentally wrong on many levels.

I am  not demeaning  , You said it is not easy  to give birth a child so i  counted all  weakness which  woman suffer in pregnancy ,You are not Giving  any solid  point  , You are just  Attacking  and using  wrong words and showing your unpleasantness .

It's better  you give solid points in favour of moms  rather than finding  faults in me and my  words  or you don't have any points  So you are trying to divert topic   πŸ€”

I m a feminist and I am proud of it.

Wen did I say fathers font deserve importance...for a healthy n happy child both father n mother are important.
But its also a fact tht during pregnancy and initial childhood a child is totally dependent on mother.
Coz the amount of skill n patience required to handle a baby ...men just dont hav it.
But a father's role is important for guidance and upbringing of the baby.
and sorry to say...except few educated families in metro cities indian men hav no contribution in bringing up the child.

India does not mean Delhi n Mumbai...theres a big majority living in small towns n villages...I dont see men doing anything apart frm being the provider.
As I said I hav big respect for men who do contribute n help in child rearing...but these men r still scarce...
Strange thing is  If  parents suffer    Miscarriage   ,All people show sympathy with Mother  only  , nobody think About Father , they show very less sympathy  to father ...There too people ignore  father's grief    , They think  only mother  suffers  pain  and father don't , Where Father equally felt pain Cause it's his lost too  

Just cause child was in mother's womb that does not mean  her pain is deeper and father's bigger .

Originally posted by BarbieGurl

I m a feminist and I am proud of it.

Wen did I say fathers font deserve importance...for a healthy n happy child both father n mother are important.
But its also a fact tht during pregnancy and initial childhood a child is totally dependent on mother.
Coz the amount of skill n patience required to handle a baby ...men just dont hav it.
But a father's role is important for guidance and upbringing of the baby.
and sorry to say...except few educated families in metro cities indian men hav no contribution in bringing up the child.

India does not mean Delhi n Mumbai...theres a big majority living in small towns n villages...I dont see men doing anything apart frm being the provider.
As I said I hav big respect for men who do contribute n help in child rearing...but these men r still scarce...

My question is on Equality   ,not on how many men help  ...If father does his duty fully   then also nobody  give them equal importance and put them on second position , Why not on first ?

<font color="#336633">My question is on Equality ,not on how many men help ...If father does his duty fully then also nobody give themequalimportance and put them on second position , Why not on first ?</font>

wat do u mean by second position ??
in a normal family ppl dont hav ranking contest abt who is the greatest.
Father n mother both take care of the child n usually no one says...father is more loving or mom is more loving So i dont get ur question.

Just cause   Father dont carry  child in their  tummy   Does not mean  their love is not Deep ...Mother can express  emotions   , Father don't  ,   Mother can cry , Father dont cause in our society if a man cry   People   taunt  them  and  make fun of their  ...So men keep all their pain in Heart  .

Father dont show  does not mean their love is not deep -- AGREE😊

I posted my few thoughts about Mother...,But we all know,father's love is different, I believe,the father is the second most important person in our lives...When you look at it, mothers usually always support the child. But the father is not always supportive. He is often experienced as a little hard, because the father represents the world and the world is not always supportive...but He is preparing the child for the world.. Both are needed in order to grow..If you are only supported, you remain basically incapable.😊
Edited by Vinzy - 10 years ago
Maybe because people thinks that a mother has a tougher life. After marriage, a woman changes her name, changes her home, leaves her family, gets pregnant. Pregnancy destroys a woman body, long term effect on her health could happen due to the epidural inject, she gets fat, almost gives up in the delivery room due to the extreme amount of pain she is going through. And then the kids she delivers bear his name πŸ˜› And if the woman is a working mom, then she have to multitask between home and work. 

I personally think that both are important not just the mother. A father sacrifice his love for wife and children by working late at nights. He build their future by taking loans from bank and then repaying them for the lifetime. He sacrifices full youth for his wife and children without any complain. He struggles a lot but still have to listen to scolding of mother, wife and his boss...