Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: charminggenie

More economics:-

Facebook actually paid 4 billion in cash and the rest in stock. 19 billion with 2 billion in breakup fees. Forget the stock as that is probably locked up and is accounted for but the cash payment is actually equivalent to 1,5 $ per Facebook shareholder or 2.2% like a dividend.
F b purchased instagram with 70mil users and thats now grown to over 180mil and its making money. Once they integrate FB with whatsapp the user base will reach 750mil within a year. How they will monetize it remains to be seen but there is a plan here and so far it has been working.

Phew , I feel like going all banker on this deal! My industry needs these exciting deals!

Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook has purchased some of the top social network companies out there:

1. Instagram (photo sharing) $1bn 
- April 2012

2. Face.com (face recognition) $100m 
- June 2012

3. Atlas (advertiser suite) 'less than $100m' 
- February 2013

4. Snaptu (Mobile App developer) $60-70m 
- March 2011

5. FriendFeed (platform to share activities over several social networks) $47.5m 
- August 2009

6. Friendster patents (social network patents, friend-of-friend connections) $40m 
- May 2010

7. ConnectU (social network) $31m
- June 2008

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Boost: WhatsApp is still growing and is predicted to have a billion users soon
+10

Boost: WhatsApp is still growing and is predicted to have a billion users soon

WhatsApp in numbers

Source: dailymail
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

IMO we are going through a social media bubble. Whatsapp does not have a steady stream of income. It could be monetized as a paid service or do a premium version/free version with ads. But then there are OS competitors like Telegram etc. Social media is valuable, but more as a marketing and communications tool rather than an investment tool. It makes sense as a marketing tool because it can yield high ROI due to the low upfront costs. For some reason the investment value of these apps is being driven up. Not as rapid and vociferous as the Dotcom bubble, but I think social medias artificial demand will diminish and the bubble will bust eventually. But it wont be as devastating as the Dotcom bubble. Players like FB, Google, MS are far more diversified and the OS players are not doing it for income.

So injured Dhoni out of Asia Cup. Kohli to lead. Is this genuinely an injury, or a means to gradually wean Dhoni out? I heard rumors that after the IPL-CSK scandals, Dhoni's defensive captaincy - he would be ousted soon. Injury seems convenient amidst these rumors.

charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@hades - ofcourse fb is going to monetize whatsapp. Even without advertising , you need to feed phone numbers for whatsapp which gives another data to fb . This phone numbers can be used for advertising purposes.  Big big data mining industry.
Messaging is not the long term revenue generation means, but it is the evolution by including functionality such as payments, app distribution, social features etc .

whatsapp has kinda replaced sms in europe/asia. So it makes sense to own world's texting and conversations. If the rumors of a facebook phone is to be believed, pretty smart move to have the top 4 apps belonging to facebook. 

Lets face it social media is here to stay for the long haul,, some will win and there will be few sad stories. And fb has just made sure that they will be on the bright side. 
Shares are already over the roof for fb and twitter  , this is a good correction . Hold for sometime but for longer terms the company remains safe. 

Social media and such sites are already the parallel industry to google and facebook. The players will keep on changing though and hence buying the major share in this upcoming industry makes sense. With more and more technology and the differentiate being varied apps for smartphones , this will only get bigger.

@ thats save Dhoni tactic.

@Telangana 29th state and the joke continues.

@H4L- The boys are only talking about this, its actually so funny !

Edited by charminggenie - 10 years ago

I just downloaded Telegram today. If FB monetizes WhatsApp, I'm out. Social media is here to stay forever, just like Dotcom never died. But I think some valuations are inaccurate and overrated. 

Save Dhoni? Elaborate please. With Virat becoming more popular as the captaincy candidate, doesn't such a move risk Dhoni too?

charminggenie thumbnail
Srinivasan is now ICC boss too, with Mudgal report mentioning Dhoni , heat is on both of these guys. T With recent failures Srini or BCCI cannot openly defend Dhoni. Hence you see voices like Dravid, Gangualy challenging dhoni.  best give him a break and keep him out of limelight.
Nah Kohli is hot-headed kid, he won't make it as a successful caption for now. He is still new to the game, Dhoni controls BCCI right now. I am sure his real exit is after WC, till then let Kohli manage and win in sub-continent and silence the detractors, cover the recent controversies. 

Yeah valuations are overrated , some intentional other coz of the buzz. But industry is here to stay.
enigmatic_zephy thumbnail
I hear you CG, thanks for the explanation

That's a huge user base!!!.. plus its on phone.. i can see the relevance

Analytics is gaining traction but i really wonder - isn't there already too much of data - connected vehicles, social media, digital life,credit bureaus, telecoms, retail outlets, telemed, healthcare in general..

God!.. life just got scarier!😭

@H4L: me and cell phones are two banks of river... i dont even have internet on mine so that no one expects me to check emails😆.. and i lose my phones at the drop of the hat ( latest being nexus and ipad together, beat that!) 

But yes, even my brother tells me whatsapp is great.. and almost every1 has been telling me to join it..

Big data scares me really.. total loss of privacy!

True story:
was working on a project for juventus and in the first (intorduction) meeting they were talking abt the club's revenue issues and the conversation deviated to  football... since i was confused about a few points so i opened my mouth and asked them

" So, let me draw a parallel , just to make sure I understand this right, if i compare this to the cricket world..." - DARN came the stares.. with my executive going

"Do whatever you have to, but never ever compare soccer with cricket"
😆

And i dont get it whats with the cricket Vs soccer rage- see that amongst friends too😕

PS: i miss my kho kho - gud old childhood..
Edited by enigmatic_zephy - 10 years ago

Aggression will be tempered in time. He needs more exposure to do that. I think his hunger to win and be on top is what will make him successful. But I agree, he should be put in charge after WC. He may not learn  in time.

I used to like Dhoni as a captain. His "captain cool" served him well. You don't need to be aggressive and hot headed. I also have some sort of respect for faith in players. Everyone has off periods and you need a captain to have faith in you to get out of a slump.

Unfortunately, as  he became more popular/powerful - faith in players became an excuse for cronyism.  He would back his favorites at the expense of others. Being cool became being defensive, where every time the opposition struck back he would go into defense mode to contain runs or bat out time rather than go for a win.

The BCCI corruption etc. is a sad state. We could be a true world no.1 dominating both domestic and international, but that won't happen till our systems improve.

charminggenie thumbnail
Zephs stop being my alter ego!!  #Same phone story.
@ Fish, lucky you, Juventus... project. Now if you work for Real madrid, I will be legit jealous. 

dude, you just don't say cricket and football in the same sentence. Thats an insult to the great sport of football.  But coming from you, what was the analogy anyway. 

Zephs - Its going to be very scary in future, money/currency is going to be replaced by information. 1984. 

kho kho was so fun!!

Now since I have you hooked on Korean drama , check North South bbc series and Lizzy bennet diaries too. 

is it just me or , Scarlet Pimpernel never excited me enough

@hadey - Virat needs a good coach -non Australian and support from his peers, which bcci politics will never let him have. Dhoni was successful coz the big 4 stayed around for sometime , gave dhoni a chance to flourish.