Harry Potter

Daniel and Rupert win at WHatsOnStage awards

Almas. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 10 years ago

Daniel Radcliffe wins WhatsOnStage best actor award

Former Harry Potter star recognised for performance in The Cripple of Inishmaan while Rupert Grint also wins prize

Former Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe has won the WhatsOnStage best actor award for his performance in The Cripple of Inishmaan, part of the star-studded Michael Grandage Company season in the West End, which took three other awards including best director for Grandage himself.

Radcliffe's former co-star Rupert Grint won best newcomer for his performance in the revival of the Jez Butterworth play Mojo.

The other big winner was the musical The Book of Mormon, which among four awards won best new musical, beating both Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Light Princess, and best actor in a musical for Gavin Creel.

Helen Mirren was awarded best actress for her role as the Queen in The Audience, which also won best new play for Peter Morgan and best supporting actress for Haydn Gwynne.

Best supporting actor was won by David Walliams for his role in Grandage's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. The play also won the award for best Shakespearean production. The awards, now in their 14th year, are entirely voted by theatregoers.

Edited by iluvOriginals - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Almas. thumbnail

When they said goodbye to the Harry Potter films, Daniel Radcliffeand Rupert Grint expressed fears that their adult careers would fail to launch.

They need not have worried. The former child stars were both named winners at the Whatsonstage Awards last night for their most recent theatre roles, and were reunited at the ceremony to toast each other's success.

Radcliffe, 24, won the prize for Best Actor in a Play for his performance inThe Cripple of Inishmaan, Martin McDonagh's black comedy about a bullied, disabled young man who dreams of Hollywood stardom.

Grint, who played Ron Weasley in the Potter films, was named Newcomer of the Year for his portrayal of a 1950s Soho drug dealer in Jez Butterworth's Mojo.

The 25-year-old was inspired to make his stage debut after speaking to Radcliffe. "Dan has always said it's a great thing to do and he absolutely loves it. Just watching him enjoy it told me it must be quite fun," he said.

Radcliffe is now an old hand at theatre, having made his West End debut in 2007 when he played the lead in Equus. He is also building a post-Potter film and television career with roles in The Woman in Black, Kill Your Darlings and the Sky series A Young Doctor's Notebook.

The winners of the Whatsonstage Awards are chosen by the public, and the Potter stars retain an enormous following. But the roles were also critically acclaimed, with the Telegraph describing Radcliffe's performance as officially marking "his metamorphosis from film star into proper, grown-up stage actor". Grint was applauded for his "stunning" and "superbly comic" turn.

The Cripple of Inishmaan will now transfer to Broadway. Radcliffe said he was "deeply honoured" to win the award and called the production "a truly joyous experience for me as an actor".

Radcliffe's win was one of four for the Michael Grandage Company, which launched in 2012. Grandage himself won Best Director for his sell-out season at the Noel Coward Theatre, which also included Jude Law asHenry V.

A Midsummer Night's Dream won Best Shakespearean Production and David Walliams, who played Bottom, won Best Supporting Actor in a Play.

The star power assembled by Grandage helped to bring in over 100,000 first-time theatregoers.

Dame Helen Mirren was named Best Actress in a Play for her role as the Queen in Peter Morgan's The Audience. The production was also awarded Best New Play and won Best Supporting Actress for Haydn Gwynne, who played Baroness Thatcher.

The production made headlines last year when Dame Helen came out in full costume to remonstrate with a band of drummers who were noisily performing in the street outside.

She could not attend the ceremony but said in a recorded acceptance speech: "I'm so thrilled to receive this. I'm honoured that it was voted for by the public - that's the most wonderful thing."

Edited by iluvOriginals - 10 years ago
bookworm-ALS-- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Gosh, Daniel needs to get rid of the excess hair ASAP. He looks like Snape crossed with Sirius 😲
Almas. thumbnail
Originally posted by: bookworm-ALS--

Gosh, Daniel needs to get rid of the excess hair ASAP. He looks like Snape crossed with Sirius 😲

I know.. dt look is for some movie I guess..Igor look..wich ll b der for qt long I think..

U kno wat was d comment below dis pix Hairy potter.. inspite of being apotterhead I laughed so hard