Debate Mansion

DID you Know?- MUSIC

MNMS thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Hello Friends.

We are starting a "Did you know" sticky thread which would be fresh for every week. This is a total members constructive input thread which will help all of us to learn and gain knowledge about different subjects like history, physics, medicine, archaeology, economics, general knowledge, geography, etc.

Each week we will tackle a new subject or theme. Members are expected to contribute facts which are exclusively related to that subject/theme.

To control spamming and easy reading for members, we are putting some restrictions too😊:

-         You cannot post any other topic except your "Did you know's". Any such post will be deleted immediately.

-         The limit of posting Did you know's is maximum 5 per post. Any did you know's exceeding 5 will be edited by the Dev team members so that it is easy to read as well as doesn't get too much crowded.

-         One member can only contribute 2 posts (containing max 10). This will controlled excessive postings done by some members just to increase their posts.

-         Please also mention the source/link of the information you are posting. Such contribution in Did you know thread will be considered for the "Researcher of the week" title too.πŸ˜›

-       If all you want to say is a "Thank you " Please ONLY .......I seriously mean ONLY use the Thank you button to thank the researcher for his   effort. If you have more to add only then may you respond to a research. All thank you's will be highly appreciated by the researcher so please don't forget to thank them.

-      If you decide to do research on Elvis Presley , please stick to this topic and not jump to another. And if you as an individual want to do it on 70's music or Himesh Reshamiya please concentrate on that one topic.

- Each post must not be more than  500 -550 words long. Remember longer your post , less attention members pay to it, as people have very limited attention span. πŸ˜› So make is concise and interesting !!!!!!!!!!!!

This week's theme is MUSIC. πŸ˜ƒ

From Elvis Presley to Muhammad Rafi, from Celine Dion to Sunidhi Chauhan, Enter in the different styles,instruments and flavours of Music. Come and share amazing information of the musical world and blend in its colours.

Start your inputs and relax to read. Enjoy the world of knowledge! πŸ˜‰

Cheers.

MNMS with the Debate Mansion development Team

Edited by MNMS - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Morgoth thumbnail

Ludwig Van Beethoven (1770-1827) - Piano Virtuoso, Western Classical Composer

Did you know that:

1) By the age of seven, Beethoven had begun to give concerts in public? Composer Christopher Goettlib Neefe was his first tutor followed by the famous Joseph Hadyn. (http://www.lucare.com/immortal/childhood.html)

2) Beethoven would forget himself and everyone else while performing, according to John Russell.

"Beethoven, left alone, seated himself at the piano. At first he only struck now and then a few hurried notes, as if afraid of being detected in a crime; but gradually he forgot everything else, and ran on during half and hour in a fantasy, in a style extremely varied, and marked, above all, by the most abrupt transitions. The amateurs were enraptured; to the uninitiated it was more interesting to observe how the music of the man's soul passed over his countenance. He seems to feel the bold, the commanding, and the impetuous, more than what is soothing or gentle. The muscles of the face swell, and its veins start out; the wild eye rolls doubly wild, the mouth quivers, and Beethoven looks like a wizard, overpowered by the demons whom he himself has called up." (http://www.lucare.com/immortal/perform.html)

3) Beethoven began experiencing signs of deafness during his late 20s, which brought his performing career to an end. However, by sheer obstinacy and determination, he switched to composing. Due to his deafness he was often accused of being rude, obnoxious and egoistical.

"O ye men who accuse me of being malevolent, stubborn and
misanthropical, how ye wrong me! Ye know not the secret
cause. Ever since childhood my heart and mind were disposed
toward feelings of gentleness and goodwill, and I was eager
to accomplish great deeds; but consider this: for six years
I have been hopelessly ill, aggravated and cheated by quacks in
the hope of improvement but finally compelled to face a lasting
malady ... I was forced to isolate myself. I was misunderstood
and rudely repulsed because I was as yet unable to say to people,
"Speak louder, shout, for I am deaf" ... With joy I hasten to meet
death. Despite my hard fate ... I shall wish that it had come later;
but I am content, for he shall free me of constant suffering. Come
then, Death, and I shall face thee with courage. Heiglnstadt (sic)
6 October, 1802." (http://www.lucare.com/immortal/deaf.html)

4) One of Beethoven's most famous pieces "Fur Elise" was titled Bagatelle in A minor - a very technical and non-romantic name. It may be surprising to note that Beethoven rarely named his pieces and never even considered this as an important piece because he had never given it an Opus Number. (http://www.forelise.com/bagatelle

5) Speculation often arose as to who was the "Elise" from "Fur Elise".  One of the most famous theories is that this song was written for Therese Malfatti, who turned down his marriage proposal and that the title was misread from Therese to Elise due to Beethoven's bad handwriting. (http://www.forelise.com/about

Sand thumbnail

Did you know that the song "Chaiya Chaiya" from Dil Se was used in Denzel Washington's movie Inside Man.

From the first seconds of the film Inside Man, a compelling mood is set via the powerful music that accompanies the opening scene. The song, "Chaiyya Chaiyya Bollywood Joint" is an adapted, hip-hop-inflected tune (featuring Punjabi MC) from India's most famous soundtrack creator, A.R. Rahman. ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000EMGAIU?v=g lance)

Here's what Spike Lee told Sam Toy in an interview for Empire magazine:

Well here's the great thing about New York and all types of music. I'm a professor at New York University's graduate film school; I've been a professor for the last eight years. One class we were talking about musicals, and one of my students suggested I see some Bollywood. I knew about it but I had never seen a Bollywood film. So I said, "Name one!" She said, "Dil Se." Next class she gave me the DVD, I liked the movie very much. That song, 'Chainya Chainya' , is in Dil Se. So, I made a promise with myself that one day I'd like to use it –so one day we did a song with Terence Blanchard, our composer, then we got MC Punjabi [sic] to do the rap, so that's how that happened. (http://www.last.fm/user/pjebsen/journal/2006/03/30/106430/)

Edited by Sand - 17 years ago
Athena90 thumbnail
Did you know

1. that A R Rahman's music for Roja has been listed in Time Magazine's top 10 Music soundtracks of ALL time!

Rahman received more international attention with this article in the TIME magazine. Rahman's first movie album Roja was listed in TIME magazine's TOP 10 Movie Soundtracks of all time; source. According to BBC Rahman is reported to have sold 100 million records world-wide. -- Wikipedia

2. that A R Rahman joind the troupe of Indian composer Ilaiyaraja as a keyboardist at 11. He later played on the orchestra of M.S. Vishwanathan and Ramesh Naidu, and accompanied Zakir Hussain and Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan on world tours. The experience allowed him to obtain a scholarship to Trinity College at Oxford University, where he received a degree in Western classical music.

3. That A R Rahman is belived to have oversold more than any other artist in history. Outselling even Beetles, Elvis and Madonna! He is belived to have sold more than 100 million records world-wide according to BBC

CuteFairy91 thumbnail

symbolMusic Factssymbol

The shortest national anthem is the Japanese national anthem, which is only four lines long. The longest is the Greek national anthem, which is 158 verses long.

Most cows give more milk when they listen to music.

To win a gold disc, an album needs to sell 100,000 copies in Britain, and 500,000 in the United States.

About 2,4 billion CDs are sold annually. The number of recorded CDs and blank CDs sold has been about equal.

Global sales of pre-recorded music total more than $40 billion.

d_s_g_ thumbnail

Music has been part of Indian subcontinent since antiquity. It was seen as an excellent means for realization of god. Music was considered as a source of culture and civilization.It was an integral aspect of Sanskrit dramas like Abhijnana Shakuntalam,Mirchakatika.The fourth act of Vikramoryasiya by Kalidasa used different musical compositions like aksiptika, dvipadika, jambhalika, khandadhara, carcarj, khandaka, etc.Music originated from chanting of Vedas from the Aryan age.'Nada' the source of sound turned into Chandas. The priests chanted hymns in a musical tone with the pronunciation according to the tune.Vocalising syllables called Sthobhaksaras were added. Melody and rhythm created the music. Priests used to perform group chanting at the sacrifices. There are many legends about the origin of music. < =text/> < src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" =text/>

There are several references to vocal music in Vedas, Upanishads, Srimad Bhagavata, the Puranas and the epics. Sam Veda as a source of music was meant to be sung. There was large number of tunes or Samans which came to be used extensively. These addressed different elements of nature like the cloud, seasons, tree, plant and the animals etc.Gandharva Veda was the aspect of main Vedas which dealt especially with the science of music. According to Hindu mythology each god or goddess is associated with some kind of musical instrument. Goddess Sarasvati is seen with Veena in her hands. Lord Shiva is associated with damru, Lord Vishnu with conch; Lord Krishna is inseparable with flute and Narada with an ektara.There were many works on music written in later periods explaining various characteristics, types and techniques. But the theory of music as expounded in Gandharva Veda got lost

jasunap thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
did you know that:

1. Kenyan musicians are sometimes forced to play gigs while locked inside metal cages! Why? Nairobi nightclub musicians often don't have enough money to buy their instruments - the equipment is instead provided by clubowners. Some owners literally imprison the musicians on stage to make sure they don't steal or damage the equipment. (From Malm, Krister and Wallis, Roger: Big Sounds from Small Peoples, Constable, London, 1984.)

2. For years Bulgarian traditional instruments were made by the musicians and tuned to their tastes with no common rules for tuning. This was okay, because the instruments were usually played individually. But during the 1935 Christmas season a group of solo instrumentalists who were playing with choral groups in Plovidiv were asked by a member of Plovidiv's Western-style orchestra why they didn't play together. The answer: They hadn't thought of it. They were aware of ensemble performance - there were brass bands and cafe orchestras in their home town of Bistrica. But it wasn't really in their vocabulary to conceive of an ensemble of traditional music somebody from outside the tradition had to suggest it. So they went back and built new instruments that worked in tune together, and thus formed Bistrica Foursome, the first Bulgarian folk orchestra - or so the story goes. Bistrica did a little dancing too, and once hit the floorboards so hard on a finale that all four members fell through the stage, leaving just their heads visible to the audience's delight. - from The Origin of the Folk Orchestra in Bulgaria by Tim Rice in Traditions, published by the Balkan Arts Center, Spring 1974.

3. The Ainu people, originally from islands north of Japan, traditionally entertained themselves by singing into each other's mouths! (From Malm, Willian, Japanese Music and Musical Instruments, Tuttle, Vermont 1990 edition.)

4. Termites eat wood twice as fast when listening to heavy metal music.

5. Michael Jackson owns the rights to the South Carolina State anthem

http://www.wfmu.org

hydrogurl001 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Did You Know

1.Music transmitted down phone lines way back in 1876

http://earlyradiohistory.us/sec003.htm

2.That the piano is known as "The King of Instruments"?

http://www.pianoworld.com/facts.htm

3.The earliest known example of musical notation was found on a clay tablet in Mesopotamia (modern-day Iraq). It has been dated to approximately 1800 B.C

http://www.sentex.net/~ajy/facts/music.html

4.7% of Americans don't know the first 9 words of the American anthem, but know the first 7 of the Canadian anthem.

http://www.tealdragon.net/humor/facts/facts.htm

5.Every time Beethoven sat down to write music he poured ice water over his head. (http://www.frycookonvenus.com/index.php?name=News&file=p rint&sid=1201)

Edited by zhasan2 - 17 years ago
Hend thumbnail
Did you know :

The origin of the word (Music) is a Greek, it is begging when Greek installed god of music called (Azores), and had    A team of seven girls, each of whom called (MUSE), hence from that the word (Music) came, which crept into all the languages of the world.
Evilgenius_S.Sβ„’ thumbnail

DID U KNOW????

*Elvis Presley once entered an Elvis look-a-like contest in a US burger bar and only came 3rd!!

**The band Wild Cherry, who had a number one disco hit with "Play That Funky Music" in 1976, took their name from a box of cough drops

***In 1961 Britains' BBC Radio banned the song "100 Pounds of Clay" by Gene McDaniels because it has a reference to women being created from building materials, which the network considered to be blasphemous!

****While playing in front of a large lake at the Crystal Palace Bowl in London in 1970, Pink Floyd played so loud, a number of fish were killed.

*****Pink Floyd were the first band to use a quadraphonic sound system at their concerts. Using 4 different channels of audio, it was an early version of surround sound.😊