•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 10 years ago
Corruption among police force is a widely discussed topic. One always fails to discuss what might have been the situations that make the police constables corrupt and reasons for their indifferent behavior towards general public.

Infiltration of corrupt individuals in any of the judicial systems has long been endemic that our country has been struggling with. Corruption is not a simple tumor plaguing the system that can be excised and thrown out to free the system of further malice. It's like an invasive cancer, slowly reaching out to all the parts of the body eventually causing multiple organ failure. It's slow, not easily identified and is LETHAL to any system in practice. Corruption just causes the entire system to crash.

The possible options to improve the situation would be that the salaries of police forces be compensated in a fair manner. I am unable to assess whether the British system of hierarchy in police force can be implemented in India. I don't see it happening in near or distant future though I find the system a tad better. The reason why this system cannot be successful in India is that for decades, our people have been attuned to seek guidance for everything. There is a basic lack of self motivation and lack of leadership.

Everyone of us youngsters have it in us to lead others by apt and right decision-making but instead, most of the people tend to BE LEAD by rank, seniority, age, an emotionally better balanced friend, a so called intelligent relative or a worldly wise elder. Unless youngsters are molded into self confident individuals, it is highly unlikely that people in services work as a team and solve issues. Only then can it instill a sense of responsibility.

Most of the times, the system continues to be corrupt because there is no fear of being punished, and second, the major players in politics are so influential to cause disturbance in the life of the commoner, here; I refer to the police constables lower in hierarchy as a commoner. When people in power and position are being feared, by the constables, they are unable to fight for justice FOR the common public.

In a democratic country, I should be allowed to choose which cause I should pledge my support for. I am a tax paying citizen. I might want my portion of tax to be used for a particular cause, which I feel needs immediate resurrection. With advancements in technology, it would also be possible to seek the nation's vote to decide which segment of the issues in India, needs immediate help. The taxes can be better utilized for such changes rather than leaving it on the ruling party's decisions. Well, that is what a government is elected for, a party that PROMISES the people to address their concerns. Whether the promises are fulfilled is an entire different topic of discussion.

I suggest for a probation period for the elected government. If the promises are not implemented within a year, the government needs to be dissolved with immediate effect. Where hours and days matter, 5 years is too long a time to risk in experimenting.

If NON-PERFORMING governments are dissolved, the AUTHORITY that they wield need to be feared by the police force. If the constables work without fear of being sent on punishment transfers or harassed by other means, they have the freedom to perform their duties well. If taxes from citizens are diligently utilized, better salaries and perks can be given to police force. If the salaries and incentives are better, police would be self-motivated. With self-motivation comes responsibility to serve the nation better. This would then be a beginning of SAFE and DEVELOPED India.

With hopes of a Jan Maitri Police Force throughout India...Edited by _Avatarana_ - 10 years ago