Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Padfoot_Prongs thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 10 years ago
πŸ˜†
everyone's sacrifices got counted. but whenever it comes to james, it will be Lily only. so not fair. πŸ˜›
mehr05 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 6
 πŸ˜† poor James! πŸ˜†
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
OMG! I always felt this way too! Why isn't James's sacrifice ever mentioned? He blocked the doorway and sacrificed his life so that Lily and Harry might be able to run away, but his sacrifice is not mentioned anywhere in the series. A mother's love is highlighted more than a father's love or a husband's love.

I wonder if this is JK Rowling's own experience talking! She had relationship problems early on and raised her daughter herself, so maybe she unconsciously (or consciously) wrote about a mother's love being greater than a father's love.
Justitia thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Actually, James dying is referred to as the reason for Harry being an orphan.
But, it is Lily's sacrifice which offered Harry the protection from Voldemort himself. 

I suppose, if JKR had put BOTH James and Lily to be present in the same room as Harry when Voldy decided to attack, I guess James' sacrifice would've counted for a lot more than it is.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
This content was originally posted by: shani88

Actually, James dying is referred to as the reason for Harry being an orphan.

But, it is Lily's sacrifice which offered Harry the protection from Voldemort himself. 

I suppose, if JKR had put BOTH James and Lily to be present in the same room as Harry when Voldy decided to attack, I guess James' sacrifice would've counted for a lot more than it is.

One thing I am confused though - if Lily sacrificing herself for Harry created a life-saving protection for him, why couldn't James sacrificing himself save both Lily and Harry? πŸ˜• I mean, he did the exact same thing Lily did. He refused to let Voldemort pass him and go to Lily and Harry while he was alive, so I really don't understand how his love was any less powerful.
twila thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
It is true! Not fair at all!
bookworm-ALS-- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: mannu_minnie

πŸ˜†

everyone's sacrifices got counted. but whenever it comes to james, it will be Lily only. so not fair. πŸ˜›

Arre don't you know. James is the worst person on earth. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
bookworm-ALS-- thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: ..RamKiJanaki..

OMG! I always felt this way too! Why isn't James's sacrifice ever mentioned? He blocked the doorway and sacrificed his life so that Lily and Harry might be able to run away, but his sacrifice is not mentioned anywhere in the series. A mother's love is highlighted more than a father's love or a husband's love.

I wonder if this is JK Rowling's own experience talking! She had relationship problems early on and raised her daughter herself, so maybe she unconsciously (or consciously) wrote about a mother's love being greater than a father's love.

Well, James tried to fight Voldemort, to buy Lily and Harry time to run. He knew he would have been killed anyway but he still did it. 
Voldemort gave Lily a chance and yet she chose to die.
that's probably the difference. Although both were extraordinarily brave in their own ways.

bookworm-ALS-- thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: ..RamKiJanaki..

One thing I am confused though - if Lily sacrificing herself for Harry created a life-saving protection for him, why couldn't James sacrificing himself save both Lily and Harry? πŸ˜• I mean, he did the exact same thing Lily did. He refused to let Voldemort pass him and go to Lily and Harry while he was alive, so I really don't understand how his love was any less powerful.

He did do the same thing, but he didn't have a choice. Voldemort didn't give him one, he just killed him. He gave Lily a chance, which let her have the choice. Which is why Lily's death gave Harry the protection, in my opinion. Although I firmly believe that James would have chosen the same thing.😳