Poor James!! :P - Page 2

Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by bookworm-ALS--

He did do the same thing, but he didn't have a choice. Voldemort didn't give him one, he just killed him. He gave Lily a chance, which let her have the choice. Which is why Lily's death gave Harry the protection, in my opinion. Although I firmly believe that James would have chosen the same thing.😳

Yeah, I've read this explanation many times too, but it just doesn't sit well with me because I love James. 😆 In terms of the blood protection, I can buy that Lily's sacrifice was higher since she had the chance to escape, but it would have been nice had JKR honored James's sacrifice as much as Lily's. Lily was held on a very high pedestal in the book, and James was always secondary. To me they were equal.
^Too true. I loved both Lily and James a lot, especially James, and I wish there had been more we could have read about their personalities.
Yes JKR probably was partial to mothers more than father. Notice how Molly gets more importance than Arthur, Narcissa more than Lucius?
LMAO poor James .. 🤣
But true .. Always it was shown Harry did this, did that got saved because of his mother's love for him and all .. Why not father? His father loved him equally and he too sacrificed!
Edited by FlawlessAshvik - 10 years ago
Originally posted by FlawlessAshvik

LMAO poor James .. 🤣
But true .. Always it was shown Harry did this, did that got saved because of his mother's love for him and all .. Why not father? His father loved him equally and he too sacrificed!

True...
Posted: 9 years ago
James would have died either way... He was dangerous to Voldemort as a member of the 'Order of Phoenix' ... But Lily had a choice... She didn't have to die... If she would have handed over Harry, Voldemort would have spared her
Originally posted by --Mahima--

James would have died either way... He was dangerous to Voldemort as a member of the 'Order of Phoenix' ... But Lily had a choice... She didn't have to die... If she would have handed over Harry, Voldemort would have spared her

I know. Still, James would have done the same in her position. I don't get why James is always neglected, anyway.
Originally posted by ..RamKiJanaki..

Yeah, I've read this explanation many times too, but it just doesn't sit well with me because I love James. 😆 In terms of the blood protection, I can buy that Lily's sacrifice was higher since she had the chance to escape, but it would have been nice had JKR honored James's sacrifice as much as Lily's. Lily was held on a very high pedestal in the book, and James was always secondary. To me they were equal.

james and lily equal ?😕 😕...i never felt like that when i was reading the series.. i mean sure he was brave and deep down had a noble heart too (just like Serius) and also if he had switched places with lily while saving harry , i m damn sure he would have done the same thing but just like everyone else in the 'wizrding world' i have a soft corner for lily.. n i can never consider james n lily equal..lily was a pure soul like a unicorn ❤️ , whereas james used to b a bully in hogwarts just like draco 😡... even harry had trouble accepting this fact...😭
Do we really have evidence that James was "a bully" other than Snape's Worst Memory? How about we see Harry from Malfoy's point of view?
Originally posted by bookworm-ALS--

Do we really have evidence that James was "a bully" other than Snape's Worst Memory? How about we see Harry from Malfoy's point of view?

u need more evidences than that ??... o i c , i think i know what u r getting at.. memories could b tampered with..just like slughorn did with his memory out of sheer embarssment.. so snape could have very well presented a false account of things... but i beg to differ..tampered memories r hard to get away that easily without being noticed...just like in case of slughorn's memory his interference was pretty evident..so if that was the case with snape's memory too then harry would have easily noticed that something was wrong with the memory...aslo, as far as magical abilities r concerned i belive that slughorn n snape were equal ..so its very unlikely that snape would perform a magic that slughorn couldnt to disguise his memories more efficiently...

moreover, harry didnt just blindly take snape's memory  as an 'evidence'...he confirmed it with serius and lupin...so i dont know what more 'evidences' one need's to accept this fact... serius and lupin were devoted to james and they practically pleaded with harry not to think any less of his father..but the guilt was evident in both serius n lupin [ more in lupin bcoz he was the most honest , well meaning n good natured among his friends]...so there u go, snape's memories were supported by both serius and lupin.. the problem with james potter, draco malfoy and dudley dursley was the same [ that is ofcourse excluding their basic character], which was they were all pampered princes...harry inherited not just lily's eyes but her compassion as well.. his bravery , noble intentions and herioc triats were ofcouse contributed by both of his parents..

about viewing harry from malfoy's point of view, i seriously doubt if it would make much of difference to harry's image...
Originally posted by Akash005

u need more evidences than that ??... o i c , i think i know what u r getting at.. memories could b tampered with..just like slughorn did with his memory out of sheer embarssment.. so snape could have very well presented a false account of things... but i beg to differ..tampered memories r hard to get away that easily without being noticed...just like in case of slughorn's memory his interference was pretty evident..so if that was the case with snape's memory too then harry would have easily noticed that something was wrong with the memory...aslo, as far as magical abilities r concerned i belive that slughorn n snape were equal ..so its very unlikely that snape would perform a magic that slughorn couldnt to disguise his memories more efficiently...

moreover, harry didnt just blindly take snape's memory  as an 'evidence'...he confirmed it with serius and lupin...so i dont know what more 'evidences' one need's to accept this fact... serius and lupin were devoted to james and they practically pleaded with harry not to think any less of his father..but the guilt was evident in both serius n lupin [ more in lupin bcoz he was the most honest , well meaning n good natured among his friends]...so there u go, snape's memories were supported by both serius and lupin.. the problem with james potter, draco malfoy and dudley dursley was the same [ that is ofcourse excluding their basic character], which was they were all pampered princes...harry inherited not just lily's eyes but her compassion as well.. his bravery , noble intentions and herioc triats were ofcouse contributed by both of his parents..

about viewing harry from malfoy's point of view, i seriously doubt if it would make much of difference to harry's image...

No, I never suggested his memory was tampered with. All I that I say is Snape would never have viewed James in a good light, his memories would never show that.
And honestly, comparing Dudley Dursley and Draco Malfoy to James Potter?
Even in that memory, James didn't use any dark curse. Snape cut him.

Oh, there's that small matter of James saving his worst enemy's life AND risking his life to become an Animagus for his werewolf friend...

Spoiled, yes, I agree. But bullies are generally cowards, and James Potter was no coward.
He may have gone off the deep end with Snape, but that doesn't make him a bully per se.