If you have RAPED someone, do you deserve a second CHANCE?!

Posted: 10 years ago
😒  I know this topic will be kind of controversial, but rape is a serious issue.  But, whoever does it should be locked away and never be allowed to come out.  But as long as they learn from it and change themselves, don't they deserve a second chance?  After the SHAADI.com topic, I will be back here more often as long as you guys like a good discussion.  ðŸ˜Š
Punishment is given to

- give consolation to victim i.e. to make them feel that wrong doer did not escape and got punishment for a bad deed

- to protect people in future

In order to deserve a chance the rapist needs to

- be forgiven by victim
- refrain for such acitivities again

Even if victim forgives, what is the gurantee that rapist will not do again?

Answer: Nope. I dont think rapist deserves a chance. One cannot risk similar incident in future.
Originally posted by King-Anu

In order to deserve a chance the rapist needs to

- be forgiven by victim

Will do ---and if the victim died then the rapist dies too 😛 Fair?
I think no.
More than physical its mental torture.
Your realization wont change anything.
In my opinion absolutely not. It is one of the most heinous crimes.

If the victim wants to forgive that is their choice. But society and law should not.
Originally posted by zorrro

Will do ---and if the victim died then the rapist dies too 😛 Fair?

Sorry Zorro I did not get your post. In my model even if the victim forgives I believe there should be punishment because we cannot put future people at risk. If victim dies that is another story.

I dont know what the law is but I would be okay for death pentaly for rapists. But thats my take. Maybe law is not that extreme. At very least they should be behind bars for years.
Rape is not some ignorant mistake one commits by accident. A monster who commits that sin of sins doesn't deserve to live as far as I'm concerned. An example should be set to the society that such inhuman crimes will be punished in the most severe way possible and they can't get away with it.
Rapist definitely deserves another chance. That is how a welfare state has to treat any human being. Every human being has divine essence within him/her and rapist or robber is no exception for that. If Valmiki who was a robber didn't get a second chance, we wouldn't have got the beautiful poem Ramayana. 
But there are certain things to be done in the society. Why do people still believe something is wrong with the victim of rape? Something is definitely wrong with the society if the society could not give dignity to the rape victim. Just as I can't accept the society treating a rape victim badly, same is the case of the rapist also. The way a rapist behaves, the whole society is responsible for making him a monster.

@Return-to-Hades: God didn't create the society or law but God created the human being. At times, what the society or law does makes no sense and only those people count who rise above the norms of the society.

Edited by maha2us - 10 years ago
Originally posted by maha2us

Rapist definitely deserves another chance. That is how a welfare state has to treat any human being. Every human being has divine essence within him/her and rapist or robber is no exception for that. If Valmiki who was a robber didn't get a second chance, we wouldn't have got the beautiful poem Ramayana.
But there are certain things to be done in the society. Why do people still believe something is wrong with the victim of rape? Something is definitely wrong with the society if the society could not give dignity to the rape victim. Just as I can't accept the society treating a rape victim badly, same is the case of the rapist also. The way a rapist behaves, the whole society is responsible for making him a monster.

@Return-to-Hades: God didn't create the society or law but God created the human being. At times, what the society or law does makes no sense and only those people count who rise above the norms of the society.

There is a question of degree which cannot be escaped. Rape inflicts intolerable mental and physical trauma on a woman, sometimes to the point of incapacitating her physically or mentally. Robbery doesn't come even close to the amount of personal devastation caused by rape. It can only be compared to torture or mass murder.

Bold: I'm not quite sure I got that part.
Rape is the most brutal of all the crimes...It scars the victim mentally and physically for life...There should be NO second chances for a rapist...absolutely none...zero..zilch..nada..shunya...