Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

maha2us thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
@Krystal: Can you clearly say someone who is mugged up and robbed, doesn't suffer from mental and physical trauma? Psychologists tell those who are robbed also after being gagged or at sword point or gun point also suffer from mental and physical trauma. They too deserve to get justice. I guess you are believing rape is a bigger crime than robbery.  Somehow we don't have clear account of the mental trauma the robbery victims suffered in journals or fictions and so we don't look at robbery as severe as rape.
And the society is still responsible for the trauma of either rape victims (or robbery victims.) A rape victim believes after she is raped, something is wrong with her. There are people in the society also who believe something is wrong with her. Aren't they also criminals? Why can't there be a law that a rape victim deserves to be treated with dignity? If she is treated with dignity by those around her and if people genuinely take care of her, she would find it much better and would not undergo trauma. Why are common people not able to believe that the rape victim also deserves good life and she too has divine essence within her? That way the society is also responsible for making the rapist a monster.

If the society treats a rape victim shabbily, whatever punishment a rapist gets makes no sense. Even if Hitler or any other dictator rules a country and even if there are severe punishments in that country for crimes like robbery, rape or murder, we have records showing robbery, rape or murder do happen in that country. Why? But a welfare state can't treat a robber, rapist or a murderer with contempt. Everyone deserves second chance.

Originally posted by: maha2us

@Krystal: Can you clearly say someone who is mugged up and robbed, doesn't suffer from mental and physical trauma? Psychologists tell those who are robbed also after being gagged or at sword point or gun point also suffer from mental and physical trauma. They too deserve to get justice. I guess you are believing rape is a bigger crime than robbery. Somehow we don't have clear account of the mental trauma the robbery victims suffered in journals or fictions and so we don't look at robbery as severe as rape.

And the society is still responsible for the trauma of either rape victims (or robbery victims.) A rape victim believes after she is raped, something is wrong with her. There are people in the society also who believe something is wrong with her. Aren't they also criminals? Why can't there be a law that a rape victim deserves to be treated with dignity? If she is treated with dignity by those around her and if people genuinely take care of her, she would find it much better and would not undergo trauma. Why are common people not able to believe that the rape victim also deserves good life and she too has divine essence within her? That way the society is also responsible for making the rapist a monster.

If the society treats a rape victim shabbily, whatever punishment a rapist gets makes no sense. Even if Hitler or any other dictator rules a country and even if there are severe punishments in that country for crimes like robbery, rape or murder, we have records showing robbery, rape or murder do happen in that country. Why? But a welfare state can't treat a robber, rapist or a murderer with contempt. Everyone deserves second chance.

Only societal treatment is not responsible for the rape victim's trauma. The trauma comes from the ACT itself, of having her most personal space invaded and utterly dehumanised. Plus, mugging may or may not result in trauma, but its guaranteed that rape would cause great personal devastation to the victim. Under no circumstances can rape ever be compared with mugging.

And like I said, something that causes irreparable damage cannot be forgiven. That kind of "welfare" would result in social devastation in the long run.
Originally posted by: maha2us

Rapist definitely deserves another chance.
---so that he can rape again ? 😲

That is how a welfare state has to treat any human being. Every human being has divine essence within him/her and rapist or robber is no exception for that.
-- then what is it that makes them rape? What happens to that divine essence within them during such times?

If Valmiki who was a robber didn't get a second chance, we wouldn't have got the beautiful poem Ramayana. 
- Valmiki robbed people of their material things which could be restored but the rapist robs a person of much more which somehow you fail to comprehend as clear from from your other post.

But there are certain things to be done in the society. Why do people still believe something is wrong with the victim of rape? Something is definitely wrong with the society if the society could not give dignity to the rape victim.
- The mindset needs to change. but that does not provide an excuse to treat rapists lightly.

Just as I can't accept the society treating a rape victim badly, same is the case of the rapist also.
-No it is not same. There is a definite difference between a victim of a crime and a criminal.

The way a rapist behaves, the whole society is responsible for making him a monster.
- The law punishes or rewards who commits an action and not those who are behind it.

@Return-to-Hades: God didn't create the society or law but God created the human being. At times, what the society or law does makes no sense and only those people count who rise above the norms of the society.

_ Oh -God created the rapist so now pass the blame onto God 😕 
God also created the law enforcers to punish the rapist-  so God redeemed 😉

Padfoot_Prongs thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
No Never. Rape is not an accident. A person is never forced to rape. the robbers or murderers can be forced for food or self defense. but wat is the damn reason for a rape. just because one is feeling aroused seeing a female or want to dominate a woman?? No reason no explanation. it's neither an illness.

there is no explanation for a rape. it's a crime which kills a girl everyday due to her mental trauma. Robbed or Murdered can get sympathies but a raped is punished further.

No second chance. 

there shud be uniform punishment- Imprisonment till last breath. they shud burn in hell through out their life.
Edited by mannu_minnie - 10 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Why are we even arguing with someone who thinks rapists deserve second chances? To me such a viewpoint is beyond any reasonable understanding.

I do agree that society needs to treat rape victims better and be more accepting & understanding. But the equation between society and victim is a completely different realm than the equation between rapist and victim. We by no means should mingle the two.

There are only two crimes in this world where I think a person sheds every bit of humanity and loses the right to be treated and viewed as a human. They are cold blooded murder for fun and rape.

PS: I must note that I think cases of statutory rape need to be viewed on a case by case basis. A 40 year old man sleeping with a 16 year old girl - he's taking advantage of her - rape. An 18 year old boy sleeping with a 16 year old girl and her father charging rape - neither kid knew better.

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: LoveProfusion

😒  I know this topic will be kind of controversial, but rape is a serious issue.  But, whoever does it should be locked away and never be allowed to come out.  But as long as they learn from it and change themselves, don't they deserve a second chance?  After the SHAADI.com topic, I will be back here more often as long as you guys like a good discussion.  ðŸ˜Š

Rape is a crime...but my opinion, depend on the situations,exceptional cases,for a +ve change, people need to give them a second chance...😊

Edited by Vinzy - 10 years ago
reeha_k thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Many rapists do get a second chance. Multiple chances in fact. Most criminal justice systems don't do enough frankly IMO to lock these people up.

There are two components to this: 
There can be rape, without it being extremely violent (yes, I know how contradictory it sounds) and there is rape where the victim is abused to the point where they are not even recognizable.
I do think there are degrees of rape- in terms of how violent it is, however unlike murder (at least in Canada) there aren't ACTUAL degrees like 1st, 2nd and 3rd (manslaughter) because Rape IS NOT  a crime of passion- it is methodical, planned, and fully on the perp. They know what they are doing, there is not such think as provocation or self defense in rape, it's not an accident or simply careless. 

Another thing I'd like to add is that you can't really rehabilitate a rapist IMO, but we can make a society where we raise our sons and daughters on equal platforms, and see women as people and not objects- there's a big socialization component- I think that needs to be the focus, because no amount of rehabilitation or attempted rehab will fix what these perps ruin. 
-Mahima- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
they do not deserve a second a chance. Because they clearly just destroyed someone's life. and there is no such thing as I didn't knw what I was doing as some of them say. I think they should all be punished regardless of age.

Some will argue tht they should be given another chance, so they can realize their mistakes, but there is no guarantee they will change. infact if  they don't get punished it gives other lowly people a chance just to rape someone as they knw they wont be punished.
now a days even age doesn't matter, these issues are so open tht every person above da age of 13-14 knws wht rape is, and there shouldn't be excuses like I didn't knw wht I was doing. wow u didn't knw wht u were doing but u knw how exactly to do it.
Edited by -Mahima- - 10 years ago
what if the rapist had a brain tumor ? there would be some leniency there right ?😉
Originally posted by: Franco

what if the rapist had a brain tumor ? there would be some leniency there right ?😉

😛😆