Im a labourer, I just do my work!--Ronit Roy

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 10 years ago

Ronit Roy on being the highest paid television actor, his fruitful innings in TV industry till date and an insight into his personal life

How does it make you feel being known as the highest paid television actor?

I wouldn't know if I am the highest paid. Because I really don't know how much do other actors charge. But I get what I deserve. And I take the medium very seriously.TV is my bread and butter. That's my home base. I have a certain responsibility towards the audience that watches me at home. At the moment, I strive to entertain my audience in my serial Adaalat.It's been on air for three and a half years.

How have you remained so successful on an aaya- gaya medium?

Hard work and talent are the formula for survival. If I am paid a certain amount on television, it's because the producers don't want to let go of me. Otherwise, they would have quickly replaced me and got someone at a lower price.

What was your motive behind being part of Adaalat? 

When I took on the serial, I was very clear I didn't want to educate or preach. I just wanted to entertain.Luckily for all of us, viewers are with us. We bring in social issues within the legal framework of the serial.

Sometimes, we go wrong with the episodes. But most of the time, we hit home.

How have you prevented boredom from setting in, now that you're doing the same serial for three years?

I don't think about boredom.It's my job to entertain and getting entertained is not part of the job. Besides, people do the same job for 30 years. I did two daily soaps, Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi and Kasautii Zindagii Kay for nine years. Adaalat is a different episode twice a week, where we get to do and say different things each time. I take my job very seriously.

At the moment, Adaalat is doing really well. There are a hundred families that depend for their livelihood on this show. I spent 12 hours of my life on the sets of Adaalat.

How do you look back on your association with Ekta Kapoor?

I am what I am because of those serials, Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi and Kasautii Zindagii Kay. In those nine years, I grew astonishingly as a human being and an actor. I was down- and- out before these two serials. A whole new world opened up for me.

Those nine years gave me my identity and a sense of self- worth. I was at the bottom of the heap when I started these serials. I virtually grew tall with them.

Many enduring actors started at the same time as you? I was a part of that group of television actors like Ali Asgar, Ram Kapoor, Sakshi Tanwar and Kapil Sharma who started at the same time. Today, I'm happy to see Kapil doing so well for himself. What has happened to Kapil and Manish Paul also happened to me.

As the Bhagavas Gita says, if you're unshakable in what you do and what you believe, it's just a matter of time before you find your bearings.

You are often seen as Ram Kapoor's closest rival on TV?

But Ram Kapoor had instant success on television.I had to struggle for it.I became an actor in 1992 with the film Jaan Tere Naam. I got Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi in the year 2000.

What do you have to say about television actors who use the medium as a stepping stone to cinema?

You can't take television for granted. If you do, you will soon be out. Today, the medium is in a flux. So much is happening. Now we have reality television, which has staunch followers.Television is too large a medium to be treated casually.It is so big that it can survive without the biggest of actors or shows. If Ram Kapoor or I were to quit television, it would make no difference to the medium.Kaun Banega Crorepati is terrific. But if it stops, the medium doesn't suffer.

Do you think soaps have run out of lather?

Soaps will always be a part of television entertainment.If they were out of favour, producers would stop making them. Agreed we no longer have soaps like Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi. Earlier, we had just a handful of channels.Now there are 500 channels.Viewers are spoilt for choices.

You are Karan'tly seen in the promos of 2 States as Arjun Kapoor's Punjabi father?

It's a very small role, a cameo actually. Karan Johar and I share a very strong bonding. I can never say no to him. I had even done Student Of The Year for him, although it was a small role. I trust Karan to do justice to my presence in 2 States. I've received a lot of messages for the trailer.People say they like my work.

You have created a fine balance between your television and cinema career? That's all I do. I am a labourer. I just do my work.Unlike many other actors, I don't follow any strategies.Every morning, I get up and go to work hoping the quality of work would be good. I don't have any clear criteria.Nor do I think of the impact.If I did, I wouldn't have played the alcoholic violent father in Vikramaditya Motwane's Udaan. My father never wanted me to be a part of an uncertain profession like acting. But when I took the plunge, I took it whole- heartedly.

Speaking of uncertainty, what is happening to your film, Anurag Kashyap's Ugly?

I don't know.My job in the film is done. They are fighting in court against carrying the anti- smoking warning onscreen.Soon, we'll have a judgement.

What is your take on every film carrying the antismoking warning?

I've been a smoker all my life. I am not a chainsmoker.But I smoke quite a lot and I am not proud it.For many years I've tried hard to quit. But I failed miserably. I've quit, then gone back to smoking. As a smoker, I'd advise anyone who doesn't smoke to never try it. As for those like me who are caught in the smoking zone, just keep trying to quit. Somehow, I haven't found the courage to quit.

So what can we expect from you in 2 States?

A good performance, maybe. In terms of footage, there isn't much of me, pretty much the same footage as Student Of The Year. It's like a guest appearance. Short but impact- filled. I am an integral part of the film.