Debate Mansion

Is colonial mentality hampering India's growth?

-victoRiya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
"A Colonial mentality is a conceptual theory around feelings of inferiority within some societies post-European colonialism, relative to the values of the foreign powers which they became aware of through the contact period of colonization. The concept essentially refers to the acceptance, by the colonized, of the culture or doctrines of the colonizer as intrinsically more worthy or superior. The subject matter is quite controversial and debated."- Wikipedia
Do Indians still suffer from colonial mentality and thus despite having all the potential to become a mighty world power along the lines of China, lagging behind because of this feeling of inferiority and lack of faith in our own selves?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Forever-KA thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

First let me clear that I myself not an Indian so don't consider this as an Indian view. I also cannot comment much on Indian national growth.

1- Problem that I see is that there is western influence among all nations and you have to seperate that from effects of related to colonialism. We blame desis for following western culture but what is happening in China, South east Asia, Africa, Latin America? Are they not the same? Do they have an inferiority complex too?

2- When does appreciation of others become inferiority complex? Maybe one is more comfortable in wearing a pant to office instead of lungi or shalwar? Does this mean they have complex? If we use their products, if we watch their movies is thay a complex?

3- It is possible that we are caught up in a system. Maybe west took the lead and now established an order and cannot come up with it

We need to consider these factors first. We need to seperate this from other effects. At this moment

a) I think those have an inferiority complex who on personal level try to become like others. They want to look like others. They do things which they do not have to do.

b) Who have rejected their own culture, values for others.

Where India and other developing nation have failed is that they lack innovation. They should contibute something new. They should take the system forward and not tag along with it. When you do that you jump miles ahead. Lets say if India develops a cure of an illness then that would benefit it more as it can be leading supplier. Maybe a website which billions follow.

So yes innovation is lacking and at this moment we desis are just followers.
-victoRiya- thumbnail
A sense of inferiority viz-a-viz the white races is evident by the proliferation of fairness cream business in South Asian countries (don't know how much effect it has on the Black races of Africa).
Also the use of English is often celebrated more for the fact that it reeks of elitism than for its universality.
There is a definite feeling of smug superiority in the politicians and bureaucrats as also the moneyed class, which can be seen as aping our erstwhile colonial masters' behavior towards the subjects.

However, Indian culture has always been all assimilating and embracing. So, you can't call it aping because of a feeling of insufficiency in our own culture.
Indians are one of the hardiest people who believe in the values of thrift and moderation. Therefore our economy remained resilient during global crisis.
Also, it would be foolhardy to insist on the use of Indian languages on global platforms when we have so many languages back home. There is no one uncontested language to harp on for the sake of nationalistic pride.
We have in hand the potential weapon of demographic dividend which if utilized strategically, will not leave room for such debates in future I hope :P
Forever-KA thumbnail
I wish some others contribute to this topic. You have put up a very well made argument.

@ fairness. I am not sure who should we blame? Boys like girls who are fair. Girls like boys who are good looking and fair. In this environment if all end up buying creams then we are to be blamed. I wont call this colonial mentality. Thats a bigger issue. 
-victoRiya- thumbnail
Originally posted by: King-Anu

@ fairness. I am not sure who should we blame? Boys like girls who are fair. Girls like boys who are good looking and fair. In this environment if all end up buying creams then we are to be blamed. I wont call this colonial mentality. Thats a bigger issue. 

This concept of white skin being better/superior was a result of imperialism only. The white western colonialists berated blacks and browns for their skin tone and drove in them a feeling of worthlessness. So much so that with time, yearning for fairness imbibed in our subconscious.
Due to imperialism and East-West contact where White always had the upper hand, all their traits came to be acknowledged as superior by the subjects.

P.S. I doubt the veracity of the above statements. They are of my own inference :P
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

I think India's growth is hampered by lack of innovation and discipline.

If you look at the Opium wars and railroad slavery, colonization was far more brutal on China than India. Similarly, Post WWII USA had left Japan in shambles but Japan jumped back within a decade. When you evaluate what the difference was it is mostly stern discipline and innovations in manufacturing lines.

Another thing to observe in these nations is they didn't blame colonization or take a defeatist attitude. They actually adapted a lot of westernization as a gift. Beijing, Shangai, Tokyo, are highly westernized cities on par with many western metros. BUT they have retained their distinct cultural identities. India has struggled to balance western influences and cultural identity. Part of it maybe that culturally, linguistically and socially, India is far more diverse than China or Japan.

We also don't take pride and ownership in our nation's assets. When I visited Brazil (which is a developing country) even the favelas (slums) were clean and organized. The beaches, the sidewalks, the streets are not littered. People have a lot of pride and want to show that their cleanliness and infrastructure is on par with other nations. Unless we Indians start respecting our streets and resources, we cannot progress.

Two issues we suffer with colonial mentality are

Elevation of English - India is the world's second largest English speaking nation. We have a high percentage of English literate population. That gives us a very distinct global advantage. Sadly, it comes at the expense of our indigenous languages.

I myself am more fluent in English rather than my mother tongue. I can read highly advanced books in English, but struggle to read little kids comics in Hindi. As a kid fluency in English was a bragging point. Now that I know better, it is embarrassing to be cut from your roots. Apart from Indians every other community takes pride in their native language. The French, the Spanish, the Russians, the Chinese no one has compromised for English as much as we Indians have. That being even a country as enormous as China has two languages Cantonese and Mandarin. India has a multitude of languages each struggling for relevance. Language is a complex problem in India.

Obsession with fairness - It is not that men and women in India prefer fair skin. It is that they have been conditioned to believe that fair skin is better. Majority of Indians are dark skinned with a good amount almost having Afro skin colors. Until the "white man" arrived the dark skinned people were considered attractive and beautiful. There are people in Indian mythos like Krishna and Draupadi who were dark skinned but deemed exceptionally attractive. Apartheid and racism in colonial rule ingrained the notion that white is better.

African people too suffered insecurity over their skin, but I admire African culture for stepping up to take pride in their natural beauty, something the Indian community is yet to do.

Forever-KA thumbnail

I wish some others contribute to this topic. You have put up a very well made argument.

King Ji,

To supplement your post/point, allow me to post some evidence. This will shed some light on the issue of fairness.

Nice post.

Thanks,

King

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFmvbTOv9os[/YOUTUBE]

White white Face dekhe
Dilwa beating fast
Sasura chance Mare re

Aree (repeat above lines)
haan (repeat the lines before the above line)

O beri o beri o beri
o beri happy in my heart dil dance Mare re

Rose ke jaisan pink pink
Humrai gaal gulabi
Sky jaisan blue blue
e Tohara Nain sharabi
aah bhola chehra jaise moon
Kali zulfe jaise cloud
Abb na aur chupaya jaye
Dhakan hogai very loud

Haaye
Thohra dil ka theater maa
Dil deewana booking Advance mare re
Dilwa beating fast Sasura chance Mare re
Edited by King-Anu - 10 years ago
Forever-KA thumbnail
Originally posted by: -victoRiya-

This concept of white skin being better/superior was a result of imperialism only. The white western colonialists berated blacks and browns for their skin tone and drove in them a feeling of worthlessness. So much so that with time, yearning for fairness imbibed in our subconscious.
Due to imperialism and East-West contact where White always had the upper hand, all their traits came to be acknowledged as superior by the subjects.

P.S. I doubt the veracity of the above statements. They are of my own inference :P

This could be one of the factor but I believe there are other issues

1- Fairness, beauty, fascination with whites is there in non-desis as well. For example it is my observation that Asians have the same issues. Sure they are fairer than desis but they too come out as liking whites than others. I mean have you seen Asians going crazy over Blacks? Desis? However they were not colonized. Not that I remember

2- Countries that colonized, countries that are white are also advanced and developed countries. They have also given you technology, hollywood, video games, entertainment etc etc and that is what puts the focus on them and hence more likely to be appreciated.

As I said it is not just the fact that some were colonized. That could have become a negative factor as well. Its a complex issue. Ideally we should all be comfortable in what we are but the environment around us, people around us dont make us reach that status. They remind us. lol.

We are deviating from your point which was about India's growth. I will let you guys discuss that. lol.
-victoRiya- thumbnail

1- Fairness, beauty, fascination with whites is there in non-desis as well. For example it is my observation that Asians have the same issues. Sure they are fairer than desis but they too come out as liking whites than others. I mean have you seen Asians going crazy over Blacks? Desis? However they were not colonized. Not that I remember

Both Asia and Africa were more or less entirely colonized.

arcoiris thumbnail

Indians with their diligence and intelligence have undoubtedly proven all over the world their proficiency in several academic fields. Yet India lags behind when it comes to key factors imperative for any nation to grow. We lack entrepreneurship and enthusiasm to innovation when compared to developed countries. The traditional mindset to do and learn what has been taught partially stems from years of colonial rule. Our educational culture should encourage more creativity and passion for experiments and invention for us to succeed. The incessant brain drain of our country is not helping the cause either. Indian educators, administrators, leaders should implement better educational system and create job opportunities to bridge that economic gap and abate brain drain.

Otherwise usage of English as a medium to communicate doesn't seem like impeding India's growth ; considering there are multiple languages encompassing so many states that there needs to be a universal medium to understand each other.
Edited by arcoiris - 10 years ago