Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-victoRiya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by: arcoiris

We lack entrepreneurship and enthusiasm to innovation when compared to developed countries. 

It would be generalizing to say that considering the fact that there is no dearth of potential or willingness evident by successful expat entrepreneurs and even the business leaders back home. Lack of opportunity and encouragement in the form of prudent policies are the real impediments as also a non conducive business environment.

The traditional mindset to do and learn what has been taught partially stems from years of colonial rule. Our educational culture should encourage more creativity and passion for experiments and invention for us to succeed. The incessant brain drain of our country is not helping the cause either. Indian educators, administrators, leaders should implement better educational system and create job opportunities to bridge that economic gap and abate brain drain.

Very true! Our educational system cries out for a revamp in terms of content, orientation and structure in order to cater to the changing needs of the job market and the resultant needs of a growing unemployed population.

Otherwise usage of English as a medium to communicate doesn't seem like impeding India's growth ; considering there are multiple languages encompassing so many states that there needs to be a universal medium to understand each other.
The use of English as a medium to communicate is quite practical and appreciable. But it should not be at the cost of development of our indigenous languages which is unfortunately a growing trend in urban India. Kids are increasing becoming less conversant in their mother tongues and proudly so. Such pride is misplaced to say the least.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Our education structure is definitely one that hampers our success

Pros

-          Solid foundation in math and science

-          Rigorous curriculum from Primary to High School

-          Well-rounded education covering social science in depth as well

-          Some of the most advanced readers in the world

-          Instills great discipline

-          Education and educators are highly valued and revered

Cons

-          Lower quality of post-secondary education

-          Limited adaptation for special needs students

-          Doesn't encourage questioning, creativity and out of box thinking

-          Focuses on mugging rather than learning

-          Challenges with costs, corruptions, donations, reservations etc.

-          Undue pressure of exams and entrance tests

Some of our educational challenges are indeed colonial influences. The structure is very similar to the British system. They also have a stoic and rigorous system that we adapted. British and its commonwealth educational systems have been criticized for lack of adaptability and creativity. We need to look at other successful models like the Finnish, Singapore and American school systems to extract the good aspects.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Has anyone seen this site? http://theuglyindian.com/

A friend posted this on twitter and it touches my pet peeve with Indians.
reeha_k thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: -victoRiya-

"A Colonial mentality is a conceptual theory around feelings of inferiority within some societies post-European colonialism, relative to the values of the foreign powers which they became aware of through the contact period of colonization. The concept essentially refers to the acceptance, by the colonized, of the culture or doctrines of the colonizer as intrinsically more worthy or superior. The subject matter is quite controversial and debated."- Wikipedia

Do Indians still suffer from colonial mentality and thus despite having all the potential to become a mighty world power along the lines of China, lagging behind because of this feeling of inferiority and lack of faith in our own selves?

OK, I'm going to get flack for this...but here it goes. LOL

I don't think India has a inferiority issue in terms of the "Colonial Mentality"- I believe they have a bitterness issue.
I'm going to base this off of MY personal experiences with Indians and Indian ex-pats. There is a very profound sense of bitterness over the colonization of the State (which makes sense). A sense of loss, that they were robbed of opportunity, potential, wealth and power. That had the Brits not occupied India, she would have ruled the world or something along those lines. 

I think that level of thinking has hindered the state from progressing as much as it could have compared to others.

But that's just a social component. What has REALLY held India back is corruption. Corruption is everywhere, but I do think there are some serious issues India has to address in terms of where money comes from, where it goes, holding politicians and elected officials accountable. 

As the World's Largest Democracy the burden's of this nation are great, and they need to look towards the future, because it's there: The potential to spear head this planet is there: Man power, brain power, natural resources: ITS ALL THERE. There has just been a gross mismanagement of the Nation's assets, finances and resources- Colonization has obvious ramifications, but honestly India has fared far better post colonization and was left in better shape by their ex-imperial powers compared to many African states. 

arcoiris thumbnail
@VictoRiya Some surveys/studies do reflect we falter in sound business/financial acumen and lack the risk-taking strategies and analytical skills when compared to western counterparts. It could be multifactorial as India is still plagued with deep seated nepotism and corruption in every offices that discourages common man/woman to dare ambitious ventures.
I agree it is vital to encourage the use of indigenous languages and preserve, protect and promote our heritage and culture. But when it comes to the debate topic as to what is hampering National growth and preventing India from becoming a mighty power; in my assessment English language usage is least critical or likely factor to hinder India in its economic/structural/industrial growth. Moreover multilingual approach is one of the better ways to move forward with the current globalization.
Edited by arcoiris - 10 years ago
-victoRiya- thumbnail
Originally posted by: arcoiris

@VictoRiya Some surveys/studies do reflect we falter in sound business/financial acumen and lack the risk-taking strategies and analytical skills when compared to western counterparts. 

Can you cite one such survey/study for our perusal? Would throw its findings up for some critical analyses.
It could be multifactorial as India is still plagued with deep seated nepotism and corruption in every offices that discourages common man/woman to dare ambitious ventures. We are bit stuck with conservative, streamlined approach when it comes to entrepreneurship.
The direct connection of nepotism/corruption with conservative/streamlined approach in entrepreneurship seems ambiguous. 
Case in point- Our e retail business thrived due to use of the COD payment system which seemed tailored to the Indian consumer's need. It wasn't the usual stremlined approach and now hugely popular and successful.
I agree it is vital to encourage the use of indigenous languages and preserve, protect and promote our heritage and culture. But when it comes to the debate topic as to what is hampering National growth and preventing India from becoming a mighty power; in my assessment English language usage is least critical or likely factor to hinder India in its economic/structural/industrial growth. 
The debate is on this point only- whether colonial mentality of treating the characteristics and heritage of our colonial masters is holding India back from tasting greater heights of success. Use of English is not hampering it definitely but it does take away somewhat from our nationalistic identity as a non English speaking nation who can't take pride in our languages enough a-l-a France/China/Japan etc. Success is after all not only a measure of economic/industrial growth.
But then again, as I said in an earlier post, being a multilingual country posits a challenge in this regard.
Moreover multilingual approach is one of the better ways to move forward with the current globalization.
Couldn't get this point. Isn't this contradictory to your above argument in favor of English usage?

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I think India's growth is hampered by lack of innovation and
discipline.

</p>

If you look at the Opium wars and railroad slavery,
colonization was far more brutal on China than India. Similarly, Post WWII USA
had left Japan in shambles but Japan jumped back within a decade. When you
evaluate what the difference was it is mostly stern discipline and innovations
in manufacturing lines.

Another thing to observe in these nations is they didn't
blame colonization or take a defeatist attitude. They actually adapted a lot of
westernization as a gift. Beijing, Shangai, Tokyo, are highly westernized
cities on par with many western metros. BUT they have retained their distinct
cultural identities. India has struggled to balance western influences and
cultural identity. Part of it maybe that culturally, linguistically and
socially, India is far more diverse than China or Japan.

We also don't take pride and ownership in our nation's
assets. When I visited Brazil (which is a developing country) even the favelas
(slums) were clean and organized. The beaches, the sidewalks, the streets are
not littered. People have a lot of pride and want to show that their
cleanliness and infrastructure is on par with other nations. Unless we Indians
start respecting our streets and resources, we cannot progress.

Two issues we suffer with colonial mentality are

Elevation of English - India is the world's second largest
English speaking nation. We have a high percentage of English literate
population. That gives us a very distinct global advantage. Sadly, it comes at
the expense of our indigenous languages.

I myself am more fluent in English rather than my mother
tongue. I can read highly advanced books in English, but struggle to read little
kids comics in Hindi. As a kid fluency in English was a bragging point. Now
that I know better, it is embarrassing to be cut from your roots. Apart from
Indians every other community takes pride in their native language. The French,
the Spanish, the Russians, the Chinese no one has compromised for English as
much as we Indians have. That being even a country as enormous as China has two
languages Cantonese and Mandarin. India has a multitude of languages each struggling
for relevance. Language is a complex problem in India.

Obsession with fairness - It is not that men and women in
India prefer fair skin. It is that they have been conditioned to believe that
fair skin is better. Majority of Indians are dark skinned with a good amount
almost having Afro skin colors. Until the "white man" arrived the dark skinned
people were considered attractive and beautiful. There are people in Indian
mythos like Krishna and Draupadi who were dark skinned but deemed exceptionally
attractive. Apartheid and racism in colonial rule ingrained the notion that
white is better.

<p>African people too suffered insecurity over their skin, but
I admire African culture for stepping up to take pride in their natural beauty,
something the Indian community is yet to do.

Actually, China and Japan have been victims of cultural imperialism more than India has. In China, more and more people prefer to have an English first name; there are elaborate "coaching centres" in Chinese cities and suburbs that rigorously educates young Chinese women in techniques of gold-digging, designed to ensnare Western million/billionaires. Both Chinese and Japanese hardly don their traditional garments anymore. They still maintain their status quo on preferring their traditional languages to English at social and official levels, true; but that, as you point out, is because they don't suffer from the massive diversity of tongues giving rise to complex linguistic-identity questions.Edited by krystal_watz - 10 years ago
arcoiris thumbnail

@VictoRiya Here is one of the article that might interest u. http://hindustantimes.com/business-news/indian-finance-pros-lack-business-skills-survey/article1-1073792.aspx However it would take lot of time on my part to dig in surveys. Please do research on Forbes business times for related topics. Sowie.

Will try to explain the ambiguous bit for u but again I do lack motivation to debate on the same topic several times. We lack risk taking strategies and tend to follow instead of leading; following same conservative tried and tested paths. The example u have cited; there may be many more such examples but the crux is we are still novice when it comes to entrepreneurship and innovation and still a long way ahead of us.

The fact that many of our leaders and administrators are reeked with nepotism and corruption; many youths fail to get the opportunities to try ambitious financial ventures. Ur statement that India lacks conducive business environment yet is at par with others in entrepreneurship sounds contradictory.

Lastly the multilingual part...English Language is a universal medium that helps us to understand each other. Say a Telugu speaking individual cannot interact with Bengali speaking person if not for English. However for proper acculturation in global market focus should not be just on indigenous language but also foreign languages.

PS: I have tried to put forth the points based on my understanding and inference..however they may not be correct.

Edited by arcoiris - 10 years ago

Originally posted by: -victoRiya

It would be generalizing to say that
considering the fact that there is no dearth of
potential or willingness evident by successful
expat entrepreneurs and even the business
leaders back home. Lack of opportunity and
encouragement in the form of prudent
policies are the real impediments as also a
non conducive business environment .

Especially issues with business license (opening a restaurant-cum-bar in Maharashtra takes 38 permits according to a report) and the consequent red-tapism, which ultimately results in the strengthening of corruption among Inspectors and stalling the cleansing process of the system to a great degree.
-victoRiya- thumbnail
@ Arcoiris- My main grouse with your arguments is that I have never doubted the abilities and inherent qualities of Indians to succeed in the realm of business. They are as able as any other national citizens out there. These qualities suffer a setback and overtime get rusted due to a non conducive atmosphere which hinders the full development of their potential. So, there is no contradiction in my stance as far as I see it.
Lack of entrepreneurship acumen and a non conducive business atmosphere are two different things. I don't subscribe to the former while blame the latter for not giving opportunity to that acumen.

Edited by -victoRiya- - 10 years ago