Debate Mansion

Is colonial mentality hampering India's growth? - Page 3

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 10 years ago
This content was originally posted by: krystal_watz

Actually, China and Japan have been victims of cultural imperialism more than India has. In China, more and more people prefer to have an English first name; there are elaborate "coaching centres" in Chinese cities and suburbs that rigorously educates young Chinese women in techniques of gold-digging, designed to ensnare Western million/billionaires. Both Chinese and Japanese hardly don their traditional garments anymore. They still maintain their status quo on preferring their traditional languages to English at social and official levels, true; but that, as you point out, is because they don't suffer from the massive diversity of tongues giving rise to complex linguistic-identity questions.

My understanding from the Asian friends I know, is that they are given a western name to assimilate and an Asian name used within the community. Even though they dress western and adapt western lifestyles, they still maintain their distinct cultures and traditions. It is just that their culture is a lot more walled. South Asians assimilate everyone and freely share our festivals and traditions. Most East Asians keep it within their close knit community.

I am sure the impact of colonialism has definitely left a mark on all colonies. East Asians probably do suffer cultural and identity crisis, maybe far worse than Indians. The most distinct success of East Asians namely China, Japan, Taiwan and South Korea is economy and industry. India has the resources, the aptitude and the means but has challenges that prevent us from reaching our potential. One problem is corruption. The other problem is that India is just so culturally, linguistically and socially diverse that agreeing upon a common thread is much harder than in other nations. In that sense what India has accomplished is miraculous. There is no other country in the world that has sustained such diversity.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 10 years ago

@arcoiris - I do agree the Indian ability to speak English fluently is a big advantage. It lets different linguistic communities communicate with each other. It also gives us a distinct edge in global business. In due time indigenous languages will change, evolve, fade as well. The real problem we face is that English educated is considered intelligent and superior, while vernacular students are viewed as boorish and lagging. There are actually some brilliant students and geniuses in vernacular schools to. Vernacular colleges produce many bright and capable professionals. The only problem is either due to lack of income, access or family limitations they don't speak English. Due to the preference given to English the potential and aptitude of these competitive minds is sidelined and ignored. We need to learn to respect all students and realize that a Bihari doctor or a Marathi engineer who don't know English maybe just as intelligent and capable as the English speaking professional.

@Victoriya - I do think India lacks entrepreneurship. Not because of lack of acumen, but because of an education system that doesn't encourage risk taking, innovation, questioning and creativity as well as business environment not conducive to entrepreneurship.

http://businessjournal.gallup.com/content/156143/india-big-problem-nurturing-entrepreneurs.aspx