Debate Mansion

~Lets Reunite to fight against RACIAL DISCRIMINATION~

Yuvika_15 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 years ago

The CC team is back with yet another thought provoking discussion thread. This time we are discussing discrimination, RACIAL DISCRIMINATION.

Racial discrimination is described as the act of discriminating a person on racial grounds which include, race, skin colour, nationality or ethnic origins. To discriminate means to receive less favourable treatment compared to another individual which is considered unlawful under several legal acts.

Discrimination against minority groups in society has existed for many decades but compared to the 1800s, we have come a long way. The barriers and disadvantages still remain, but to some extent the negative attitudes have declined. We see the proof of this in the multicultural societies in many developed countries.

There was a time when whites and non whites were NOT allowed to travel using the same transport, work in the same office, live in the same area nor use the same public toilets. BUT now, things have changed, whether your white or non white, it does not matter, you are given the freedom to live where you want and how you want.

Though we have come a long way, we are still far from completely eliminating racial discrimination from the society today. It still exists, either in our thoughts or in our actions. It is still there. And the million dollar question is why?

We know it is wrong! We know it is unethical! We know it is unlawful! Yet it happens every day in front of our eyes in many different ways. And the million dollar question is why? why does racial discrimination still exist in the 21st century?

Appy: It exists because it seems to have been implanted in our genes now.

Manjari: Its always been there. Nowadays, people may not openly say it but scratch the surface of society and there it is. Though people claim to have evolved and claim to possess modern thinking, their thinking is still very narrow and obsolete.

Zahara: I agree with Manjari. Even though society as a whole has developed from what it used to be, there are still some people who still have the idea that some are inferior to others.

Nabila: Though the world went through industrial revolution, the human mindset has not evolved much. The basic moral values glorify that past where certain people ruled over others and we feel empowered by that. We believe we have been and always will be rulers, whether the world has turned democratic is a thing of small consideration.

Sara: I blame the super powered countries for its existence. They do not discourage it as much as they should do. Yes, making movies and music videos based on racism does spread awareness but it does not do the needful in discouraging it.

Viz: Yeah, there needs to be stricter laws, but unfortunately there are not any stringent laws that even relate to racism.

Edited by Yuvika_15 - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Yuvika_15 thumbnail

A lot of wrong things happen before our eyes on a daily basis or we simply hear stories on the news. But despite hearing about these things, we take them very lightly and do not consider the seriousness of the matter... not until we read the statistics does the reality of the matter sink in. But sadly, by then it is too late.

US statistics across the past decade dictate that 35% or more of the total charges made against discrimination are race related charges

A study revealed that Black African suspects stand a higher chance of being arrested than White Africans. Also, they are six times more likely to receive longer prison sentences than White Africans.

Over 50% of respondents of a New Zealand based study revealed "race, skin color and ethnicity" as a reason for the discrimination they experienced.

Over 35% of people claim their experience racial discrimination in public places or in employment

Nearly 88,000 racist incidents were reported in Britain's schools during 2007 and 2011. Many argue that the increase in racism is down to the growth of racial-phobia which is now filtering into classrooms.

Statistics reveal that in some regions, Whites earn more annual earnings than African American.

We hear stories about racism in the news, read about the statistics and sometimes even witness it happening to others. Yet we choose to turn a blind eye and walk away from it, we take the matter very lightly, ignoring the seriousness of the matter until one day we are in the victim's shoes, facing discrimination against our race and skin colour. Have you ever witnessed/experienced racial discrimination?

Appy: Once an Asian man was waiting to travel to see the Statue of Liberty and the security person spent almost 30 minutes checking him so that he could allow a few white tourists to pass on the boat, once the boat had left, he released the man and asked him to wait another 30 minutes for the next boat to arrive.

Chanel: A couple of years ago our family was on the bus when some old guy found it hilarious to exclaim "I hate Indian's. I hate them all!"

Sara: It was my first day of a new school and when asked where I hail from, I said Pakistan. This one guy looked at me with a shocked expression and asked if I had a bomb on me!

Manjari: My grandmother doesn't like the idea of darker skinned people working in our house. I see it happening, my mother and I try to revolt but she is very strict on that. She does not trust dark people, so when someone comes to our house looking for work, we reluctantly have to check their color before appointing them.

Hina: I heard my parents discussing someone who eloped with a girl belonging to a lower caste because society would not accept them as a couple.

Yuvika_15 thumbnail

In today's world, one does not necessarily have to make a racist comment towards another person to be classed as a racist; one's actions speak louder than words. So how do we eliminate this kind of behaviour from our society and ensure equality is established across the globe?

Hrideyy: I think we need to look at the population as ONE rather than dividing it into groups of different religions, casts and creed. For this to be possible, we need to open our mindsets a bit and look past these barriers of thoughts which exist today.

Shivangi: Educating every strata of society equally.

Tanu: It cannot be eradicated from society in one go, but simple steps like providing additional classes in schools and having good teachers as role models are small steps which will help redefine the negative thoughts in the young generation.

Yuvika: I agree with Tanu. We need to target the young generation so that the future is not like our present. Today's young generation will grow up to becoming our future, so if we want racial discrimination eliminated from society in the future we need to ensure we take our future (young generation) into our own hands and mould it in the correct way.

Jillu: Exactly, Charity starts at home. Parents should be careful of the things they say in front of their children. As eventually these children will grow up and become parents and will follow the traditions and examples their parents set for them. So we need to make sure an anti-discrimination example is set for them.

Khushi: To be honest, I do not think it can be eradicated. There will ALWAYS be that minority group who will label it as an "opinion" and refuse to see past their point of view.

https://i.imgur.com/3eAwItQ.gif

The International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is observed annually on 21st March and is a reminder of the negative consequences of racial discrimination.

This day was established six years after the Sharpeville Tragedy took place wherein the police had open fired killing 69 people at a peaceful demonstration against the apartheid "pass laws" in South Africa. This event had captured worldwide attention causing the UN General Assembly to decide and organize a week of solidarity with the people struggling against racial discrimination across all States.

As a result, the apartheid system in South Africa as well as many racist laws have been abolished in many countries. This is a positive outcome, however the battle for the elimination of racism from society is not over yet as people across many countries and regions still experience racial discrimination.

The CC team would like to encourage every member to do their bit by spreading the word across social media networking sites and getting involved in any local activities that are run in relation to this day.

We'd like to summarize the importance of this thread and the message it carries through a poem called The Telephone Conversation by Wole Soyinka:

The price seemed reasonable, location
Indifferent. The landlady swore she lived
Off premises. Nothing remained
But self-confession. "Madam" , I warned,
"I hate a wasted journey - I am African."
Silence. Silenced transmission of pressurized good-breeding. Voice, when it came,
Lipstick coated, long gold-rolled
Cigarette-holder pipped. Caught I was, foully.
"HOW DARK?"...I had not misheard..."ARE YOU LIGHT OR VERY DARK?" Button B. Button A. Stench
Of rancid breath of public hide-and-speak.
Red booth. Red pillar-box. Red double-tiered
Omnibus squelching tar.
It was real! Shamed
By ill-mannered silence, surrender
Pushed dumbfoundment to beg simplification.
Considerate she was, varying the emphasis-
"ARE YOU DARK? OR VERY LIGHT" Revelation came
"You mean- like plain or milk chocolate?"
Her accent was clinical, crushing in its light
Impersonality. Rapidly, wave-length adjusted
I chose. "West African sepia"_ and as afterthought.
"Down in my passport." Silence for spectroscopic
Flight of fancy, till truthfulness clanged her accent
Hard on the mouthpiece "WHAT'S THAT?" conceding "DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS." "Like brunette."
"THAT'S DARK, ISN'T IT?"
"Not altogether.
Facially, I am brunette, but madam you should see the rest of me. Palm of my hand, soles of my feet.
Are a peroxide blonde. Friction, caused-
Foolishly madam- by sitting down, has turned
My bottom raven black- One moment madam! - sensing
Her receiver rearing on the thunderclap
About my ears- "Madam," I pleaded, "wouldn't you rather
See for yourself?"

https://i.imgur.com/z6BiEFM.gif

Credits:
18shabbo
-BlueEyes-
.BadtameezDil.
..eyecatchers..
appy_indy_KD
Angel-Jot.
& special thanks to the CCs that provided responses for this thread
Edited by Yuvika_15 - 10 years ago
pinkpearl5 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Thank you for bringing forward this important topic, CrazyCreatives. 😃 Lovely thread and it's very informative too. 👏

Racism must stop. At any cost. We must not treat anyone differently because of their race, skin colour or ethnicity. What if one day you woke up as that race then?! What would be your response?! See that's why I'm saying treat everyone equally and don't discriminate between anyone racially. 

Here is a quote we should think about:

'At the heart of racism is the religious assertion that God made a creative mistake when He brought some people into being.'

Regards,

PP/pinkpearl5
Edited by pinkpearl5 - 10 years ago
DushtDanaf. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
thanks for this thread admins. Racism is man's worst threat to progression - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.. 
RosyRosh thumbnail
The sad part is, we all ARE different colors. The PROBLEM is in the mentality of some that classify people through color of the skin. 
Color is something people should wear proudly. And it shouldnt be though about. This person is Black, so im not trusting him at night because he can do something to me. No. A white person can do the same. Classifying people and sterotyping due to the color of someone skin is wrong. 

Discriminating and judging vecause of skin color is wrong. 

Thats where the silver lining is. One should be able to wear their color proudly without it being thought about or used as a tool to hurt or undermine someone. 

The ignorance and mentality of people needs to be fixed. 

And it isnt just color of skin. 

Sexuality and life style choices as well should be ones OWN BUSINESS. No one should have ANY RIGHT to tell someine HOW they should live, what they should do in lfie, whom should they be with. Personal choices are PERSONAL for a reason. 
Angel-Jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
^Exactly. Skin colour is not the issue. Cause where i live, terms such as 'brown', 'white', 'Asian' are used very casually. My friends and I refer to Indians as 'brown people' and it's something we take pride in.

It's the stereotypes that are there for each colour.. that's the problem. Ignorance is the problem. =P
SweetButSpicy thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
What a Awesome topic to talk about :) & Lovely Post CCs!

Racism is a severe disease that needs to be cured but I don't think it ever will in this world...

You cant be born as a racist but you can be turned into one by planting an idea in your brain from other peoples behavior and it affects your personality towards the people your siblings hate so your siblings teach your brain to hate these people that's whats really happening they are telling you that these people are bad or they don't deserve to be in our country. Racism doesn't deserve a place in your heart. Stop judging people based on how they look and their race. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his or her skin, or his/her background or their religion. People learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love.

My Experience just TODAY, 22nd March 2014, I am at Airport heading to UK from USA and I was standing in line for Security Check, and some people behind me were boys and girls and they said oh this girl should definitely get checked she is BROWN. SMH -.- I m thinking to myself wow not all brown people are TERRORIST. And I wanted to say to that white person oh your girlfriend r wife is brown (Mexican) so why don't you say that to her too.

"Achievement has no color"
Abraham Lincoln

- Prii

Edited by QH_DDEJ_Fan - 10 years ago
VishaD. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 7
Very good post CC Team 👏
Coming from a country with multi-racial community, i take pride that we are all united together despite differences in colors, culture, food and festivals. Though there are times where a few fanatics would stir up with some racist remarks but its always good to see everyone coming together as ONE. Color of skin should not define a person and Racial discrimination has to stop as at the end of the day, all of us are the creation of god and blood is red. 
tahera57 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Thank you CCs for raising the issue of racism...  I live in the UK I have seen and suffered racism 1st hand, it's not pleasant to see how ethnic minorities are treated by some... it exists in all walks of society some hidden others blatant in your face...

what I find more painful to bear is the attitude of a lot of coloured people themselves they can't get over anyone that is even slightly darker shade than themselves, you hear them whispering or openly giving advice on how to look a shade lighter ... god gave us different colour to give us an identity not superiority one over the other , be proud of your colour whatever  it may be. Just be a happy YOU... and not wanna be white or brown (some white people try very hard to go brown) .